PDA

View Full Version : Engine light after battery replacement

JasonSSG
03-09-2014, 08:56 PM
So this wonderful midwest weather froze my battery and after installing a new Die Hard I've noticed my engine light is on. I have the car on jacks so I haven't tried to drive it, I do however start it every week and let it run for an hour. I figured after the battery swap it was just be something that happens and go away after a few times start ups. But it still hasn't gone away so I was wondering if this was something I need to be concerned about?

Getnlwr
03-09-2014, 09:01 PM
Gotta run the code first. Hard to know how to fix if you don't know why the ECU is crying.

JasonSSG
03-09-2014, 10:02 PM
How do I check the ecu without taking it to the dealership?

Getnlwr
03-09-2014, 10:26 PM
Getting an inexpensive scanner is a nice thing. Other options include (if you own an android based phone) the torque APP and a bluetooth OBD module (cost about $25 total)

EZ 2B Green
03-09-2014, 11:49 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. It should clear soon once you start driving the car. If you get a scanner and the code refers to an internal timer or something like that, it is due to the battery swap.

Brian E
03-10-2014, 07:03 AM
Code P2610 was more than likely set when you disconnected your battery. Clear the code or it will turn off after 3 good drive cycles. See below.

P2610-PCM INTERNAL SHUTDOWN TIMER RATIONALITY TOO FAST

Theory of Operation
The PCM shutdown timer is compared with the main processor timer shortly after the engine has started. If there is a difference between the two timers, then a fault is set. This is a two trip fault to set the MIL. If the battery is disconnected for more than 60 seconds then the power supply that maintains the shutdown timer is lost, and so a pending fault will be set the next time the battery is re-connected and the PCM powered up.
When Monitored:
On power up, the check is made for the battery disconnect, and then 5 seconds after the engine has started the timer check is evaluated.
Set Condition:
A greater than 60 second battery disconnect or a difference between the two internal PCM timers. Two trip fault. Three good trips to turn off the MIL.

Steve M
03-10-2014, 07:55 AM
Totally normal and will clear itself after going for a drive.