PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel Questions

Getnlwr
03-09-2014, 08:51 PM
Guys, I was thinking about this the other day. Steering wheel options are pretty "limited"

It got me thinking. What about a aftermarket steering wheel made for a charger or challenger. In keeping the air bag, I was looking at the GRANT steering wheels from the revolution series.

Since Chrysler used quite a few components from other vehicles in the Dodge lineup, it's not unreasonable to think that maybe the steering wheel spline shaft is identical to a different chrysler vehicle. The second part, would the airbag module from a Viper have the same connections as a Charger or Challenger.

Might be stupid... might open up other options for us. Personally my experiences with the grant revolution series was pretty good for my RAM SRT10. I happen to have another Grant Revo series RAM SRT10 steering wheel handy.

Thoughts?

Info learned so far;

Same Momo hub fits many different vehicles.

A Viper Steering wheel in a Neon. (also saw the shifter and trim ring)
http://www.angelfire.com/extreme3/gtx/images/o_interior2.JPG

Viktimize
03-09-2014, 09:40 PM
This is the only option I am considering so far. Lambo steering wheel retrofitted for Viper. Stock steering wheel is hideous in my Gen3. If a wheel from an LX car was straight swap I might consider that. I really like the wheel in my 2012 300 SRT8.

http://www.dctms.com/product_ST_EXOTIC_LAMBORGHINI.html

Getnlwr
03-09-2014, 10:03 PM
That's what i am trying to figure out. It might be possible to swap a SRT8 or a aftermarket SRT8 steering wheel. The airbag connectors could be an issue. Anyone here have access to a shop that would have this info? I bet someone here has a airbag from a 03+ viper and possibly one from another style of SRT.

IndyRon
03-10-2014, 12:14 AM
I totally agree, the Gen III/IV steering wheels are pretty bad from a design standpoint as well as an aesthetic one. I'd like to retrofit a Gen V wheel in or if someone finds a nice flat bottom wheel that fits, that would be great too.

swolff
03-10-2014, 02:38 AM
Would love to have a flat bottom steering wheel, like the newer gallardo etc. Just don't want to dish out 2-3K for one though

XSnake
03-10-2014, 10:45 AM
A Gen 1 wheel should fit any year Viper. I ran one on my Gen 2 for awhile. Still wish I had it.

Getnlwr
03-10-2014, 09:09 PM
I would like to keep the airbag in place, and see if it's possible to use one from another vehicle. If a Gen 1 fits, setting up a quick detach hub would be nice as well with a non bag wheel.

Anyone have a reliable way to get a hold of a Chrysler engineer? This would be a worthy upgrade.

I do have a Dodge Ram aftermarket Revo wheel at the house. Wouldn't be too hard to figure out if it fits if I can get a ram airbag. Figuring out if the electrical for the air bag works is what I am a bit afraid of. God knows I don't need one blowing up in my face when trying to install it. Some things are better left to the pros.

I did notice this. The momo steering wheel adapter here is advertised to fit the following:
Avanti Avanti II All
Buick All Models 1969 and up
Cadillac All Models 1969 and up
Chevrolet All Models, exclude tilt/telescope (1) 1969 and up
Cavalier 1982-94
Corvette (2) 1969-83
Corvette 1984-97
Corvette, C5 (3) 1997-04
Dodge Neon (4) 1994 and up
Viper All
PT Cruiser (5) All
GMC All Models 1969 and up
Jeep All Models All
Oldsmobile All Models 1969 and up
Pontiac All Models 1969 and up

1. Ignition must be on steering column
2. Deletes use of telescoping column
3. Trimming of plastic trim required
4. SRT4 Models require steering wheel spacer for turn signal clearance. Custom horn wiring also needed.
5. May require hub or vehicle modification