PDA

View Full Version : Tracking Forgestar Wheels CF5V 19 19

Shiner
11-21-2019, 09:16 AM
I picked up a set of Forgestar 19/19 set up for a great deal. Has anyone tracked these?

The track coach stated he wished I didn't do that and would not get into the car with those wheels on as they are not track rated/SFI certified?

I was kinda put off by this as I understand there are way better wheels out there but price is a factor. I went to Forgeline's website (cream of crop) and they don't have any SFI data posted. I went to Forgestar's website and their test data is published. I realize Monoblock vs. Flow/Rotary Forged.

https://forgestar2.wpengine.com/testdata/deep2095cf5v.pdf

I understand there have been some failures with Forgestars but was that metallurgy issues or abuse? I would think the monoblocks are susceptible to bends around the lip- maybe not for cracking though.

Anyways, my coach freaked me out. I thought I don't want to wreck my car or hurt myself. So maybe I can reach out and find more that have tracked these wheels.

I understand Forgestars are no different than Sidewinder 2's. What should I do?

kriskyk
11-21-2019, 09:47 AM
The manufacturing process maybe the same but the designs are not identical nor are the specifications...

You can typically look at the categories of wheels as:

Aftermarket Rotary formed < OEM rotary formed < forged

13COBRA
11-21-2019, 10:11 AM
Eh.

I bought a set of Forgestar F14s and have over 30 track days on them. Been through at least 8 sets of tires. I inspect them before and after every track day for any signs of stress cracks, etc... never had an issue.

Shiner
11-21-2019, 10:39 AM
The manufacturing process maybe the same but the designs are not identical nor are the specifications...

You can typically look at the categories of wheels as:

Aftermarket Rotary formed < OEM rotary formed < forged

Do you have any information to support this? The SW2 wheels were not made by Dodge or FCA.

kriskyk
11-21-2019, 12:27 PM
Many parts on your viper are not actually made by Dodge....

Pretty sure the stock viper wheels are not SFI rated either.

Yes, go speak with a number of track junkies and instructors...

I'm not suggesting that forgestars are not track worthy.

For what it's worth in general you would not run slicks on rotory formed wheels though

Shiner
11-21-2019, 12:56 PM
Many parts on your viper are not actually made by Dodge....

Pretty sure the stock viper wheels are not SFI rated either.

Yes, go speak with a number of track junkies and instructors...

I'm not suggesting that forgestars are not track worthy.

For what it's worth in general you would not run slicks on rotory formed wheels though

Thanks, this is good advice. If HPDE turns more serious than I will up my game. I was going to run Toyo R888R. I do have some magnesium E19s with R888R on the street.

Maybe I will street the forgestars and track the BBS E19s. My only concern is that the offset on these is a little aggressive and I don’t want to crack a rear panel.

Arizona Vipers
11-22-2019, 03:59 PM
You'll be fine! Well known wheel manufacturers aren't in the habit of letting their wheels get broken and people dying and still keep building and selling them.

13COBRA
11-22-2019, 04:01 PM
^^^ +1

kriskyk
11-22-2019, 08:06 PM
Uhhh seach "cracked foregstar" or "forgestar failure" ... You might find some interesting things...again this goes back to the right tool for the right job.... at least make an informed decision....

Arizona Vipers
11-23-2019, 09:24 AM
Uhhh seach "cracked foregstar" or "forgestar failure" ... You might find some interesting things...again this goes back to the right tool for the right job.... at least make an informed decision....

Yeah but you can do this with any brand, even Forgeline's fail. I wouldn't be scared to run Forgestars on the track especially with street tires. I don't worry about failures on the track but if I did I'd be more worried about tires or brake failure than wheel.

Shiner
12-26-2019, 08:04 AM
I have purchased some brand new Sidewinder 1 Wheels (G4 ACR-X/ ACR) wheels in 18/19 set up. They still had the stickers and wrapping on them, got them for about 800 wheel. I was reading somewhere that they are one of the best track wheels ever on the Viper, strongest and lightest.

Arizona Vipers
12-26-2019, 09:19 AM
I have purchased some brand new Sidewinder 1 Wheels (G4 ACR-X/ ACR) wheels in 18/19 set up. They still had the stickers and wrapping on them, got them for about 800 wheel. I was reading somewhere that they are one of the best track wheels ever on the Viper, strongest and lightest.

Not sure about the 1's, but the Sidewinder 2's are extremely light, within a few ounces of my Forgelines.

99RT10
12-26-2019, 09:25 AM
SW1s and 6 spokes are very light too. Make better track trims, but a good set of 10 spokes, even though heavier, are great track rims too.

nrs1
12-26-2019, 03:48 PM

I did research on this and looked at the failures. The failures happened on the previous gen wheels that were rated at 1250, I believe. The newer gen wheels have been upgraded to 1600. I have been tracking 19” F14s for quite a few years. But I don’t run slicks, just R compounds. I wouldn’t be too worried about them, just carefully check for stress cracks before each event.

Arizona Vipers
12-27-2019, 02:56 PM
I did research on this and looked at the failures. The failures happened on the previous gen wheels that were rated at 1250, I believe. The newer gen wheels have been upgraded to 1600. I have been tracking 19” F14s for quite a few years. But I don’t run slicks, just R compounds. I wouldn’t be too worried about them, just carefully check for stress cracks before each event.

Dude put that Jeep away and get your butt back to the track!!!! East track Jan 26th! Hey are you doing the Viper Club thing at INDE in February?