PDA

View Full Version : ACR Buying Questions

zee
11-03-2019, 09:17 AM
Greetings everyone! Hopefully will be finalizing a deal on a a G5 ACR tomorrow pending a used car inspection. The car has about 6k miles on it and appears to be pretty clean.

Few last minute questions:

1. Anything I should look out for specifically with the ACR? I know many likely have been tracked - is that something that can be easily determined? Other then looking at tires, chips on paint, windshield - any other ways to tell how much or if its been tracked heavily? Any reason to shy away from tracked cars?

2. Will Dodge be able to tell me if the car has every been re-painted or damaged? Carfax is clean but we all know that doesn't tell the whole story

3. Will Dodge be able to look at the PCM and tell me anything more such as if its ever been modified? I believe you can tell if it ever had a tune correct? I just want to ensure the powertrain warranty is still in tact.

4. The car is an east coast car - I am in California so not used to different conditions that east coast cars may have. Does rust or anything play a factor on what to look for? Is it common for vipers to be exposed to this?

5. Are the panel gaps and alignment issues on the body panels still there for 2016-2017 ACR's? I know my TA and other G5's have some issues here and there

If there is anything else specific to the ACR that I should look out for please do share. I had a TA before so I know the car very well but just want to be sure I am not missing anything as I get overcome with excitement =)

Vegaskid
11-03-2019, 09:26 AM
If you post some more info (VIN) and where the car is, I'm sure the forum has a ton of info on the car.

I wouldn't shy away from a tracked car. Take a look at inside the rims for rubbing or cracks if tracked. Make sure you the rub strip included if you take the front splitter off.

ViperGeorge
11-03-2019, 09:54 AM
Vipers were meant to be tracked. Generally people that track them take good care of the cars. They change fluids often. I wouldn't be worried about a tracked car. If there has been paint work that hasn't been reported to Carfax it will be difficult to check with anyone unless you knew the paint shop that did the work. Usually a good inspector could verify by looking for over spray or differences in paint color/finish. Some repainting is not unusual though in the event some one has road rash on the front bumper or under side sills that they wanted to fix. I wouldn't worry about that.

Re rust, I have never seen rust on a Viper. The body panels are not steel. They use aluminum, carbon fiber, or plastic. The frame is painted. I'd be stunned to see one rusted. You should check with a dealer to make sure all recalls have been done.

dewilmoth
11-03-2019, 02:48 PM
I took a deposit on my ACR on Friday, so have been through this recently. I personally would not trust a Dodge dealer to put air in my tires, let alone inspect the car. Pitted CCB rotors are the easiest way to tell if the car has been tracked heavily IMO. Otherwise it is just a general condition type thing, which I would have a real car guy or shop do. They are simple cars, not much to worry about unless there is something obvious.

sharmut
11-03-2019, 07:15 PM
@zee if tracked often, it's likely the owner has maintenance records.
Condition of the ceramic rotors for oxidation.
Check the ball joint boots for punctures, especially the lower rears. If not maintained, it doesn't take long for the ball joints to develop play from lack of lubrication.
Outer steering rod end links for play.
Compression and leak down test.

Mark1107
11-03-2019, 10:30 PM
The only thing the Dodge dealer can do is check the pcm if the Arrow controller was ever installed. If so, and the ACR had a warranty, you can say bye bye to getting any power train warranty work done. FYI.

catwood
11-05-2019, 02:38 PM
Well.....did you get it?

zee
11-06-2019, 02:08 AM
Well.....did you get it?

Thanks Carl for your help and Thanks for the feedback everyone! Yes I did buy it today. Car is getting clear bra and will be ready soon! I’ll start a new thread and post tons of pics. Super pumped!!!

sharmut
11-06-2019, 02:48 AM
Congrats. It will not dissappoint.

catwood
11-06-2019, 12:06 PM
Thanks Carl for your help and Thanks for the feedback everyone! Yes I did buy it today. Car is getting clear bra and will be ready soon! I’ll start a new thread and post tons of pics. Super pumped!!!

http://www.opentrackracing.com/event-registration-dates.html

ACRSNK
11-07-2019, 04:54 AM
Congrats what color

RedTanRT/10
11-07-2019, 08:27 AM
Zee, congrats on the new ACR!! Post pictures when you can. Are you in SD or?

Carl, thanks for the link on OTR, can not make that event, maybe their March date.

I'm going to Fontana this weekend and I think Randy wants to go too as a shakedown for Spring Mountain.

I'm also gong to BW Friday 12/6 with Speed District, nice event, 3 hours of track time. Let me know.