PDA

View Full Version : Driver Door Woes

Bill W
10-16-2019, 03:38 PM
Got caught in a torrential rain that lasted over an hour. The next day, my driver's door would not open. Fortunately, I had the window down and reached in and opened the door with the emergency latch. I closed the door once more and was immediately able to open it with the exterior handle as normal. Did this several times and all was well. Hours later I walked into the garage and tried to open the door but it was locked like before. I reached in and used the emergency latch to open it, then closed the door and it worked fine. Hours later, the same thing. I know it's common to find a broken wire as the cause, but why would the door work fine after I used the emergency latch to open it and then lock up later...time and again? Ther battery is less then a year old and constantly on a Tender. The other issue is the door keeps popping open when I try to close it, as if the latch won't catch. I adjusted the door hinge several months ago and it has been fine. I can adjust the hinge again but mentioned this in case the latch failure might be connected in some way. Any ideas? Thanks as always.

dave6666
10-16-2019, 04:39 PM
Take an air hose and blow out the push button switch from the outside; around the button itself. Also blow out the 2 door latches with the door open.

Then using the red straw on a can of WD40 hose the push button switch from outside; again around the button itself. Also hose the 2 door latches with the door open.

JonB ~ PartsRack
10-16-2019, 05:03 PM
Using thumb and 2 fingers, Manipulate / massage the door-hinge wiring harness between instrument panel and door. Try to achieve some tactile wire-separation ?

Then Try sequences again. If an LED-lock stays illuminated for a long time , its THAT.

Water-Destroyer 40 wont hurt either

dave6666
10-16-2019, 05:30 PM
The door jamb wiring issue normally does not come up due to rain inclusion but as John mentioned it's worth checking. Pretty simple test. But it sounds like one of the micro switches has water in it. 0.02

Bill W
10-17-2019, 01:16 PM
Did as suggested above. The door closes now but will not open without using the emergency latch. Than, while the door was open, I pulled the striker closed with my finger as if “locking” the door. While the door was open, I could unlock the door by pulling the inside handle. This does not work when the door is closed. The outside handle will not unlock the door latch whether the door is open or closed.

JonB ~ PartsRack
10-17-2019, 02:07 PM
The Year Matters..... did I miss the YEAR?

Does the door handle lock LED stay lighted ?

May be time to reset the alarm FOB. HOLD Down BOTH FOB buttons while near the steering column.

Should hear a BEEP, or a short series of beeps. Extra beeps means a circuit is open. (door)

If you have a 98-02, use your ignition key to reset the EEU in the roof of the cubby-glove box. One 90-degree turn.

Bill W
10-17-2019, 03:17 PM
It's a 2002 RT/10. The LED lights go out on both door handles after about a minute. I reset both fobs as suggested and heard one beep. I used my key inside the glove box to attempt a reset of the EEU. Did this once, then after no change tried again turning the key 90 degrees in a different direction this time (just in case it mattered). With the door open I can push the lock/latch down with my finger, then open it with either door handle, so it may not be an issue with a micro switch (?). But although I can release the lock/latch with either handle after pushing it down with a finger, neither the fob or the manual door lock will cause the latch to close afterwards.

JonB ~ PartsRack
10-18-2019, 11:11 AM
Remove passenger window glass and store it.

Leave it out.

Wear sweaters / jackets. Avoid Rain.

Sorry....Im tapped out....

Bill W
10-18-2019, 12:51 PM
LOL! Thanks for your tips. All I can think of is maybe a broken wire. I'll dig into it tomorrow...hopefully.

Rich
10-18-2019, 12:57 PM
LOL! Thanks for your tips. All I can think of is maybe a broken wire. I'll dig into it tomorrow...hopefully.

Just PM'd you. Had a very similar issue with my 2002 GTS. Determine the latch was getting power(when latch in the closed position) but not unlatching. Ended up replacing the latch assembly.

Bill W
10-18-2019, 01:58 PM
Rich, thanks for returning our call. A friend and I pulled the panel and removed the latch mechanism. We ran power to it while holding it in hand with the latch closed. It opened but seemed sluggish. Reinstalled it back into the car and it won't unlock with either door handle. It's getting power but I'm thinking it's seen better days and doesn't have enough gusto to pop when the latch is hooked around the latch bar with the door is closed.

I'm looking for a driver's door latch for a 2002 Viper if anyone has one lying around.

Bill W
10-19-2019, 03:27 PM
Rich, thanks for returning our call. A friend and I pulled the panel and removed the latch mechanism. We ran power to it while holding it in hand with the latch closed. It opened but seemed sluggish. Reinstalled it back into the car and it won't unlock with either door handle. It's getting power but I'm thinking it's seen better days and doesn't have enough gusto to pop when the latch is hooked around the latch bar with the door is closed.

I'm looking for a driver's door latch for a 2002 Viper if anyone has one lying around.

AZTVR
10-19-2019, 04:45 PM

Sounds like it just needs to be taken apart, old gease and dirt cleaned out and new grease installed. That would be my first thing to do, anyway.