PDA

View Full Version : Another intake with bolts loose

My98RT10
09-21-2019, 05:34 AM
I got bored so I thought what kind of easy maintenance could I do that does not require any preparation.... I remembered having read several threads over the past years where owners recommended to check the intake bolts as it is not uncommon that they get loose over time and require a good re-torque.

In my 7 years of ownerhsip I had never done this so off I went into the garage and checked all 20 bolts. And bingo! Most bolts turned quite a bit when torquing them down to 11 Nm. One bolt was completely loose and I am sure it would have been only a matter of time until it would have dropped out completely.

So, if you have never checked these bolts for proper torque, now it is the time to do so! Most likely it will prevent issues popping up further down the road.

plumcrazy
09-21-2019, 06:18 AM
its a 20+ year old car. things are gonna be loose or break. good idea to check al that stuff. same goes for about every single bolt on the car

GTS Dean
09-21-2019, 10:24 AM
The fasteners are small and torqued rather lightly. Constant thermal cycles and vibration likely contribute to loosening. Gasket deterioration was a definite problem over the 10 year production run for G1-2, and there were 3 running changes in the part numbers. I check my bolts about every other year and find a few need snugging. Although not called for in the service manual, a drop of green Loctite on the intake bolts might not be a bad idea. Anything stronger could lead to broke bolts upon removal.

dave6666
09-21-2019, 11:11 AM
Put a Roe on. Then you can't get to any of them.