PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering pulley Failure

mowudwn
08-19-2019, 09:28 PM
Hello its been quite a while since I visited this site, but recently I was out for a ride and I was telling my
wife how the temperature would always stay at 190. I had been noticing that I was having problems with my
steering and noticed a faint rattling sound. The air conditioner would go hot and then get cold again? Then I
looked at my gauges and the temperature gauge was at 250 so I pulled over immediately. The serpentine belt
had come off and the power steering pulley had a 1/2" of wobble in it. I got the car home safely (on trailer) and
ordered a new part. I was going to have a dealer do it, but a 1/2" box wrench took off the three bolts and the
whole job was quite easy. Rented a puller/installer for the new pulley and purchased a new serpentine belt. It
all went back together quite well and I didn't have to remove the air filter assembly. Just wanted to let anyone
with a Gen II know this is a accident waiting for a place to happen. It will fail if you haven't seen it happen yet.
Take the time and replace it.

Fatboy 18
08-20-2019, 01:14 AM
So did you replace the Pulley OR the Bracket OR Both?

98RedGTS
08-20-2019, 10:39 AM
Sucks you got stranded but that has been a known issue for a very long time :-(

daveg
08-20-2019, 10:45 AM
Replace Bracket as well.

MH60M
08-20-2019, 11:20 AM
Hello its been quite a while since I visited this site, but recently I was out for a ride and I was telling my
wife how the temperature would always stay at 190. I had been noticing that I was having problems with my
steering and noticed a faint rattling sound. The air conditioner would go hot and then get cold again? Then I
looked at my gauges and the temperature gauge was at 250 so I pulled over immediately. The serpentine belt
had come off and the power steering pulley had a 1/2" of wobble in it. I got the car home safely (on trailer) and
ordered a new part. I was going to have a dealer do it, but a 1/2" box wrench took off the three bolts and the
whole job was quite easy. Rented a puller/installer for the new pulley and purchased a new serpentine belt. It
all went back together quite well and I didn't have to remove the air filter assembly. Just wanted to let anyone
with a Gen II know this is a accident waiting for a place to happen. It will fail if you haven't seen it happen yet.
Take the time and replace it.

Yep....Nearly every Viper parts store sells the aluminum pulley and bracket.....Since 1996.

Good thing it didn't bust or wobble and chew through the pump housing and catch fire.

You should probably replace the High Pressure power steering line too.....also another know issue, and the fiery death of more than a few Vipers.

Maxpower29
08-20-2019, 04:43 PM
How difficult a task is the bracket and pully? I have them but never did this type of install before. I am not a total noob at working on cars but a bit Leary

Lalmeida617
08-20-2019, 06:13 PM
How difficult a task is the bracket and pully? I have them but never did this type of install before. I am not a total noob at working on cars but a bit Leary

Here ya go thanks to Mr Boosted!

https://youtu.be/zeXoK_JeTZg

daveg
08-20-2019, 06:17 PM
Personally I recommend taking the pump out of the car and replacing the pulley / setting it up on the bench. Just me though.. Good luck with the project.

Viper87
08-20-2019, 08:06 PM
I agree with Daveg. I had a hell of a time with the pulley breaking the pulley and then I kinked the power steering line and had to buy a new line and pump. Glad it's all done but it was an ordeal.

Fatboy 18
08-21-2019, 01:50 AM
I've replaced 3 of them, never removed the pump or lines from the cars?

Maxpower29
08-21-2019, 04:56 AM
Only have a couple months left of driving. I might chance it until winter when it's in the garage

Martyb
08-21-2019, 09:27 AM
Very simple to do with the pump still on the car as long as you have the correct tools. I’ve done several, 2 beer job.

Viperenvy
08-21-2019, 09:48 AM
"Very simple to do with the pump still on the car as long as you have the correct tools. I’ve done several, 2 beer job."

What tools do you recommend for un and re-seating the pulley?

lane_viper
08-21-2019, 10:22 AM
So question, What replacement pulley are you guys using?

I know there is a billet Aluminum one out there but they seem pricey.

Found one on Rockauto that is all steel I might try. It's $10

My98RT10
08-21-2019, 10:33 AM

I think most people are using IPSCO pulley and bracket. So do I....

The steel pulley might be for Gen I as they had a steel pulley from factory. They changed to plastic with Gen II IIRC...

AZTVR
08-21-2019, 11:27 AM

I would be a little suspicious that it is all steel and the right part; but, if it isn't, you probably could return it. Roe Racing used to sell the steel pulley used on the Gen 1 as a Gen 2 replacement; but also supplied the required spacers for the pump mount to get the correct offset for the belt, as I remember it. Meaning that the pulley offset is different between Gen 1 and 2. So, just make sure you check the pulley offset if you don't get an OEM part for a Gen 2, or a billet pulley from the Viper parts vendors.

LifeIsGood
08-21-2019, 11:44 AM
Do yourself a favor...just get the IPSCO (https://ipsco.org/index.htm) combination Pulley and Bracket (https://ipsco.org/Viper_files/Viper%20Power%20Steering%20Pump%20Pulley.htm) and never have to worry about it again.

According to dave6666, it's an upgrade!

Fatboy 18
08-21-2019, 12:45 PM
Only have a couple months left of driving. I might chance it until winter when it's in the garage

That's fine, but if you go out in the car, take the new pulley and bracket with you and necessary tools so if it does break you have the parts in the trunk to fix it roadside :)

I always carry tools and a few spares, just in case other club members break down.
I carry an old pulley and bracket just in case.
I have the ipsco pulley AND billet bracket fitted.

daveg
08-21-2019, 12:52 PM
Last one I did was a pain and I had to Vise it... Glad I didn't do it in the car and yes, I have the right tools.

Boosted Motorsports
08-21-2019, 01:06 PM
Do yourself a favor...just get the IPSCO (https://ipsco.org/index.htm) combination Pulley and Bracket (https://ipsco.org/Viper_files/Viper%20Power%20Steering%20Pump%20Pulley.htm) and never have to worry about it again.

According to dave6666, it's an upgrade!

It can't be true! I'll believe it when I see it lol

Maxpower29
08-21-2019, 01:54 PM
Good idea. Doing that now

Coloviper
08-21-2019, 02:30 PM
Curious, on a 96’ RT/10, does it have a Gen 1 steel or Gen II plastic power steering pulley? Haven’t really looked at it.

Fatboy 18
08-21-2019, 03:00 PM
If it's a Gen II it should be the black plastic pulley. But there were the Gen 1 and 1/2s
Not sure when the official change happened? Probably on the 450hp Gen II engine?

Lalmeida617
08-21-2019, 03:42 PM
Curious, on a 96’ RT/10, does it have a Gen 1 steel or Gen II plastic power steering pulley? Haven’t really looked at it.

1996 You have the plastic one. Chuck did mine (same car you have) while it was getting head gaskets a couple months ago. I spoke with IPSCO when I ordered it and he was not sure if I needed a gen 1or 2 kit. So he sent the gen 2 kit. The only difference is the gen 2 kit has spacers I don’t think Chuck had to use them.

lane_viper
08-21-2019, 08:38 PM
So here is the part from Rockauto I found.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodge,1997,viper,8.0l+v10,1314713,steering,power+s teering+pump+pulley,7381

Says it fits 96-02 vipers and is all steel. Thinking about ordering one to see.

BLRDViper
08-22-2019, 06:29 AM

I am with Daveg. I pulled the pump and replaced the pulley on the Bench. This also helped with replacing the mount bracket also.
My old back could not take slipping in under the hood and over the fender for any prolonged time.
Also, since I did this when I purchased the 1997 Viper I went ahead and flushed and replaced the old fluid.
Like others have said, not that tough of a job.
BLRD

Fatboy 18
08-22-2019, 08:05 AM
Here's a couple of pics of the puller set I purchased on eBay

Fatboy 18
08-22-2019, 08:48 AM
Might be worth reaching out to other local club members to see if they will loan you a puller set or you might be able to rent one from a local Auto zone or NAPA store :)

Boosted Motorsports
08-22-2019, 03:19 PM
Might be worth reaching out to other local club members to see if they will loan you a puller set or you might be able to rent one from a local Auto zone or NAPA store :)

Autozone rents it. I show the part # of their tool I rented in my vid :anonymous:

Viper98
08-22-2019, 03:40 PM
Rented from O

Viperenvy
08-22-2019, 03:58 PM
Autozone rents it. I show the part # of their tool I rented in my vid :anonymous:

Worth watching Boosted Videos - very instructive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeXoK_JeTZg

lane_viper
10-14-2019, 11:18 AM

I took the risk and bought this pulley.

It indeed is all steel and is the correct part. I installed the pulley with a new PS pump, and a new belt last weekend.

Pulley is $11.53

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodge,1997,viper,8.0l+v10,1314713,steering,power+s teering+pump+pulley,7381

Finally an upgraded part that doesn't cost a bundle.

Steve-Indy
10-14-2019, 11:29 AM
As several have suggested replacing the bracket as well, I am interested to hear about your decision to keep the OEM bracket which also has a history of failure.

JonB ~ PartsRack
10-14-2019, 12:03 PM
As several have suggested replacing the bracket as well, I am interested to hear about your decision to keep the OEM bracket which also has a history of failure.

What He Said.

Otherwise probably a good score......It appears COST was the prime motive....But Id be paying attention the shoulders of the serpentine belt on the $12 pulley!

Racngrn
10-14-2019, 07:31 PM
Watched Boosted's video, bought a Harbor Freight Pulley puller ( not the best, but got the job done) and did it on the car. Aside from working up front under the hood, its a simple job. Follow the instructions to the T. The IPSCO pulley and bracket are the very best solution. Not pricey and a one and done. Wish I had done the hoses as well. Next year.

M5toViper
10-14-2019, 10:35 PM
https://images.homedepot-static.com/productImages/df7a8acd-5912-4d2d-9896-167424f4b0bd/svn/gearwrench-combination-wrenches-9038d-64_1000.jpg

For the 3 bolts

lane_viper
10-15-2019, 12:10 PM
What He Said.

Otherwise probably a good score......It appears COST was the prime motive....But Id be paying attention the shoulders of the serpentine belt on the $12 pulley!

FYI, I replace the bracket earlier this year with the billet one from Roe. Long story short, PS bolt broke when I replaced the timing cover gasket. It had seized in the OEM bracket. In comparing the OEM plastic pulley to the $12 Metal one, Dimensions seem identical in every way.

Darth Menace
10-15-2019, 04:40 PM
Good snag! It is always good to save some money where we can. I have cross-referenced/found some universal pieces that worked for me as well. Thanks for sharing

Fatboy 18
10-16-2019, 03:27 AM
FYI, I replace the bracket earlier this year with the billet one from Roe. Long story short, PS bolt broke when I replaced the timing cover gasket. It had seized in the OEM bracket. In comparing the OEM plastic pulley to the $12 Metal one, Dimensions seem identical in every way.

Interested to know how the install went with the all steel pulley? Using the IPSCO aluminum one, the pulley mount sleeves on, then when you mount the actual pulley wheel, that tightens down on the pump shaft.

How hard was it to press the new steel pulley onto the pump shaft?

lane_viper
10-16-2019, 01:35 PM
Interested to know how the install went with the all steel pulley? Using the IPSCO aluminum one, the pulley mount sleeves on, then when you mount the actual pulley wheel, that tightens down on the pump shaft.

How hard was it to press the new steel pulley onto the pump shaft?

I used the same tool (Autozone Rental) one uses to "press" the plastic pulley as the metal one. I put a dab of grease to lube it to make it easier. I would say it was about the same difficulty as the plastic one. I noticed on my old plastic one, the middle section was metal also. Once it was on, it was firm and tight, and seems to be working well.

Fatboy 18
10-16-2019, 03:47 PM
Great thanks, I will order one of these as a spare for the cheapskates in our club that Still have not bothered to swap out their pulleys

lane_viper
10-16-2019, 11:29 PM
Great thanks, I will order one of these as a spare for the cheapskates in our club that Still have not bothered to swap out their pulleys

You're a great club member! Thats a really nice gesture.

GTS Dean
10-17-2019, 07:37 AM
Mine broke at the track and I replaced it with a $15 OEM item I picked up at the local parts counter. I'm good for another 18 years. Why is it that those of us that decide not to spend $100 instead of $15 are berated?

AZTVR
10-17-2019, 08:18 AM
Why is it that those of us that decide not to spend $100 instead of $15 are berated?

I didn't interpret any posts that way. One post above about watching out for belt edges appeared to me to be either about something known about the aftermarket steel reproduction by Cardone possibly being not the correct width, or it might have been about the use of an OEM Gen 1 style steel pulley on a Gen 2. Detail was certainly missing.

This is the first that I have read of a steel pulley being made to fit Gen 2. Back when I replaced my cracked 2002 plastic PS pulley, I decided to use the Roe Racing option of a Gen 1 OEM steel pulley. Roe also included a set of spacers for the pump mounting points in order to move the pulley farther forward so it was in the location that the Gen 2 pulley would be in. Apparently the Gen 1 & Gen 2 pulleys have different offsets.

From the post above, it sounds like the new Cardone pulley is made for the Gen 2 application. I wonder how long it has been available ?

Fatboy 18
10-17-2019, 08:33 AM
Here's the Problem.....This is Just one instance....Few years ago the UK Organised an hosted a Viper Owners Europe event. The first evening went well, then day 2 of the tour one of the members cars had the power steering pulley Bracket failure, this was on a 4 lane motorway, so I pulled over to give assistance as I normally carry tools to help Viper owners out in such events, but in this case all I could do was to get his car recovered home for him.

So it cost the group time and delay and I then had to get up to the Hotel to host our European friends. I personally Know of 3 Pulley failures and 1 Bracket failure that caused the pulley to crack.

So basically not Upgrading to a stronger pulley and bracket means you are pontenty driving a ticking time bomb, and when it does fail (normally at a very inconvenient moment) You may inconvenience others as well as yourself.