PDA

View Full Version : Vipers Being Crushed... Save the Vipers

v10enomous
03-06-2014, 07:42 AM
http://jalopnik.com/we-have-to-save-the-first-dodge-vipers-ever-made-from-b-1537666534?utm_campaign=socialflow_jalopnik_facebo ok&utm_source=jalopnik_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

GhostStalker27
03-06-2014, 09:09 AM
A very sad sight...put em in a museum or part out the good/street legal parts. Crushing them is a lazy and dumb way to solve this problem...

v10enomous
03-06-2014, 10:15 AM
They're crushing Vipers while they're rescuing Corvettes from a sinkhole... What is this world coming to... OMG

JonB ~ PartsRack
03-06-2014, 03:28 PM
Simple: Blame The Lawyers...

Drummerviper
03-06-2014, 04:24 PM
They ain't getting this lawyers' early Viper

ACRucrazy
03-06-2014, 04:31 PM
Interesting read.

"Also, Chrysler Group has no record of any legal proceedings involving Dodge Viper vehicles donated to educational institutions being involved in accidents and product liability lawsuits.

To recap, the Vipers in question have no significant historical value, have not been involved in any accidents and serve no educational purpose – which is what they were designed to do at first."

http://blog.chryslerllc.com/blog.do?p=entry&id=2234

Coloviper
03-06-2014, 04:31 PM
The official sign this country is NOT going to make it in the long run! It is truly a sad day when lawyers can mandate such ridiculousness. They could be sold on bill of sale to authorized and registered museums for pennies on the dollar if that is what it takes to save them but ensure they never get put on the road. There are always solutions to waive all rights, etc. to clear FCA.

The fact they are doing this spells out bad for the future of Viper IMHO. Yes these are old models but proves they are not really car guys in the end. I suspect the death of Viper altogether will be next.

Can't imagine a single car guy of any brand out there that is comfortable with this. I mean General Motors rolls out non-street legal vehicles all the time and sells them at Barrett-Jackson with the caveat they can never be drive on the street, period sold on a bill of sale. Why can they do it and FCA can't?

Deeply upsetting and a real tell on where FCA is going as a company. Not good!

v10enomous
03-06-2014, 05:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXSVH6_R8d0

03-06-2014, 05:38 PM
A very sad sight...put em in a museum or part out the good/street legal parts. Crushing them is a lazy and dumb way to solve this problem...
Lazy and dumb attorneys (a sinkhole developed between their ears) -- they're worried about liability because they are experimental cars. They need to go to the Viper museum -- not the Corvette museum.
:t0135:

03-06-2014, 05:49 PM
Here is a link to the petition to save the Vipers -- get the word out. http://www.thepetitionsite.com/393/174/916/operation-save-the-vipers/

03-06-2014, 06:25 PM
A proper end to a Viper's school daysby Mike Driehorst (http://blog.chryslerllc.com/bio.do;jsessionid=1852541C671ADB8F2DFAD6504AF29A70 ?p=view&id=263)March 6, 2014 4:27 PM
There’s nothing like car culture passion. We see it every day, and a lot of people have witnessed it since late Wednesday when reports of Chrysler Group asking schools to “crush (http://www.king5.com/home/Olympia-college-told-to-destroy-rare-Dodge-Viper--248667111.html)” early Dodge Vipers within the next couple of weeks.

While we very deeply appreciate – and can relate to – the passionate out-pouring to#SavetheVipers (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23SavetheVipers&src=typd), we do need to clear the air about what’s going on and what we did.

So, let’s set the record straight.

About 10 years ago, Chrysler Group donated a number of Dodge Viper vehicles to various trade schools for educational purposes. As part of the donation process, it is routine, standard procedure -- and stipulated in our agreements -- that whenever vehicles are donated to institutions for education purposes that they are to be destroyed when they are no longer needed for their intended educational purposes.

With advancements in automotive technology over the past decade, it is unlikely that these vehicles offer any educational value to students.

We definitely understand and appreciate the historical significance of the Viper. And, we are sure to maintain any of the legendary models and designs for historic purposes. It’s our heritage so of course we take great pride in preserving it.
http://images.thefirehouse.biz/general/DodgeViperGTSCoupeConceptVehicle-1994.jpg

1994 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe Concept. Chrysler Group maintains all of the legendary models and designs we produce and manufacture to help preserve our heritage.

However, none of the vehicles at the schools fit into this category.

Also, Chrysler Group has no record of any legal proceedings involving Dodge Viper vehicles donated to educational institutions being involved in accidents and product liability lawsuits.

To recap, the Vipers in question have no significant historical value, have not been involved in any accidents and serve no educational purpose – which is what they were designed to do at first.

Viper Girl
03-06-2014, 06:39 PM
Here's the Official Word on this topic...

Sent: 3/6/2014 2:16:34 P.M. Pacific Standard Time
Subj: Today's news from Chrysler Group

Response to Third-party News Reports of Vipers Being Destroyed
Approximately 10 years ago, Chrysler Group donated a number of Dodge Viper vehicles to various trade schools for educational purposes. As part of the donation process, it is standard procedure -- and stipulated in our agreements -- that whenever vehicles are donated to institutions for education purposes that they are to be destroyed when they are no longer needed for their intended educational purposes.
Response to Third-party News Reports of Vipers Being Destroyed
March 6, 2014 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - Attributed to Chrysler Group LLC:

Approximately 10 years ago, Chrysler Group donated a number of Dodge Viper vehicles to various trade schools for educational purposes. As part of the donation process, it is standard procedure -- and stipulated in our agreements -- that whenever vehicles are donated to institutions for education purposes that they are to be destroyed when they are no longer needed for their intended educational purposes. With advancements in automotive technology over the past decade, it is unlikely that these vehicles offer any educational value to students. Chrysler Group fully understands and appreciates the historical significance of the Viper and is very active in preserving many of its legendary models and designs for historic purposes however, none of these vehicles fit into this category.

Chrysler Group has no record of any legal proceedings involving Dodge Viper vehicles donated to educational institutions being involved in accidents and product liability lawsuits.

About Chrysler Group LLC
Chrysler Group LLC, formed in 2009 to establish a global strategic alliance with Fiat S.p.A., produces Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, Ram, SRT, FIAT and Mopar vehicles and products. With the resources, technology and worldwide distribution network required to compete on a global scale, the alliance builds on Chrysler Group’s culture of innovation, first established by Walter P. Chrysler in 1925, and Fiat’s complementary technology that dates back to its founding in 1899.

Headquartered in Auburn Hills, Mich., Chrysler Group’s product lineup features some of the world's most recognizable vehicles, including the Chrysler 300 and Town & Country, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Dodge Dart, Ram 1500, SRT Viper and Fiat 500. Fiat contributes world-class technology, platforms and powertrains for small- and medium-size cars, allowing Chrysler Group to offer an expanded product line including environmentally friendly vehicles.

GuitarSteve2112
03-06-2014, 07:23 PM
I'm not sure I can go out and enjoy my night with this in my head. This is very upsetting to hear and see. The Viper did nothing wrong! To add, its still not Viper weather here! Rest peacefully, all you 93 Vipers that are about to be destroyed.

03-06-2014, 08:28 PM
The official message I'm getting is: 'not saleable = crush'.

These are not Hot Pockets. Please sign the petition to save the vipers -- in the end, someone above these attorneys paygrade needs to tell them to rescind the memo and put these cars in museums. The VOA has more than enough influence to get this job done -- and then we'll celebrate.

GuitarSteve2112
03-07-2014, 12:32 AM
I signed the petition. I would have loved to take one of these and turn it into a track vehicle. Easy way to get a pit crew... "Each member gets a couple laps shotgun!"

BlknBlu
03-07-2014, 11:26 AM
I work in a Data Center and have been bombarded by employees sending me messages on this event. the news must be viral. Why not create a donated Viper museum for all these. I will take them off thier hands.

Bruce

FLATOUT
03-07-2014, 11:53 AM
I work in a Data Center and have been bombarded by employees sending me messages on this event. the news must be viral. Why not create a donated Viper museum for all these. I will take them off thier hands.

Bruce

As have I. No less than 6 emails today from coworkers all over our company sending me links.

BlknBlu
03-07-2014, 11:56 AM
As have I. No less than 6 emails today from coworkers all over our company sending me links.

I have had about 40 and VM's at home. This is nuts.

Bruce

FLATOUT
03-07-2014, 11:59 AM
Well once things go Viral it makes it hard for corporations to go against public opinion, this may be the best chance we have to save these cars. I signed the petition.

Canadian venom
03-07-2014, 12:09 PM
Now is the occasion for Chrysler/SRT to make a great marketing coup. Lets see if they take the opportunity...

03-07-2014, 02:33 PM
Everyone needs to make sure they have EVERYONE in their chapter sign the online petition, it takes less than 1 minute.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/393/1...ve-the-vipers/ (http://www.thepetitionsite.com/393/174/916/operation-save-the-vipers/)

We have almost 6,000 signers in one day alone.

BlknBlu
03-07-2014, 02:34 PM
i was reluctant to give up information on that site.

Bruce

Canadian venom
03-07-2014, 03:01 PM
i was reluctant to give up information on that site.

Bruce

That's was I tought... they ask too much information for a petition

GhostStalker27
03-07-2014, 03:05 PM
That's was I tought... they ask too much information for a petition

I hesitated myself, but it's probably to help legitimize the petition.

Rare Snake
03-07-2014, 03:43 PM
I went on with intent to sign it too, and just reading the write up turned me off. On top of the fact they wanted all the info, nobody even took the time to edit or spell-check that thing?? I'll just sit back and wait to see what the Chrysler "Coperation" does. lol

RoyV101621
03-07-2014, 03:50 PM
Herb must know this car personally. I hope he chimes in.

Coloviper
03-07-2014, 04:08 PM
You know, there is nothing saying we (VOA) can not collect our member's petition data here at the VOA and then provide summary to that petition or results directly to FCA themselves. As car guys are car guys, I am willing to bet even the National Corvette and Mustang clubs would sign a petition to save those cars which says a lot to FCA right their. Randall, time to call those national offices and make that happen before it is too late.

I would have signed that petition on that site but I am not going to provide information to an untrusted source like that.

03-07-2014, 04:52 PM
It's on CNN's feed now.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/03/07/autos/dodge-vipers-crushed/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

svensk
03-15-2014, 11:04 AM
How about the VOA

Trying to stop the destruction of the 93 Vipers through the country?

Destruction of an iconic sports car in its early stages does not sit well with the owners or public opinion.

As recommended by others let them be sold /auctioned off with documentation that they can never be registered/used on public roads.

Ford has a similar program for all the Bondurant Mustangs.

There are plenty of owners that would gladly buy one or more of these cars.

Feel free to present this opinion to the VOA Leadership and Chrysler/ Fiat