PDA

View Full Version : March 22nd - "Get Your Motor Running" Event

Brian GTS
03-06-2014, 06:53 AM
Hello Everyone!

Spring is just around the corner!!! This also usually means it is "preventive maintenance season" for our Vipers. To help, on Saturday, March 22nd from 10:00am - 4:00pm, we will host our "Get Your Motor Running" event to help get your Viper ready to slither through the season!

The event will take place at my home in Raleigh, NC. We will have 2 lifts available to perform oil, differential, transmission, clutch, and brake fluid changes. Our club VP Mike Reeves from Capital Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram in Garner will have their parts man Al Humphries (also a Carolinas VOA Member) on site who will have the appropriate OEM oil filters, differential, clutch, transmission, and brake fluids available for purchase. Otherwise, the only item you need to bring is your choice of motor oil! I believe most are running the Mobil 1 0W-40 formula these days. Below are the estimated oil fill capacities for the various generations (rounded up to the nearest quart):

1992-2002 - ~9 quarts
2003-2014 - ~11 quarts

Of course it never hurts to buy an extra quart! :)

Mike's dealership has also generously offered to supply a disposal tank on-site and will properly dispose the oil for us. A BIG thank you to Capital Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM in Garner!

I will provide FREE lunch to Carolina VOA members....something along the lines of Pizza and drinks. :)

Services will be performed on a "first respond, first served" basis! We request that you RSVP for this event so we can be sure we have the adequate supplies and time! Please respond with:

1) The YEAR of your car.
2) Indicate which fluids you would like to have replaced (O-Oil, D-Differential, T-Transmission, C-Clutch, B-Brake). Or, simply reply back with "ALL" if you wish to have everything replaced.
3) Finally, please let us know whether or not you will you be purchasing available fluids "on-site" so we can ensure we have adequate inventory. A simple "YES" if you plan to purchase on-site or "NO" if you plan to purchase them elsewhere will do.

If you do not have any maintenance needs, you may still feel free to attend the event to lend a helping hand or just "hang out" with us. Looking forward to it!

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Brian, Mike, Craig, Seth, & Chris
Your Carolinas VOA Team

C.J
03-06-2014, 07:30 AM
Thanks Brian. There is a limited amount of time, so please RSVP so we'll have time to get your Viper on the lift. Also, if you have a service manual for your Viper, please bring that along. I have them for the 2001s, and I think torque settings would be applicable to Gen I/II, not sure about later Gens.

Brian GTS
03-06-2014, 09:02 AM
Thanks for mentioning Craig....good tips.

So far, we have the following members who have confirmed attendance:

1) Stan - T
2) Patrick - D, T, B

All fluids will be purchase on-site so far...

No hemi
03-06-2014, 10:42 AM
OH how i wish it wasnt so far away!!! , Have fun guys/gals!!!

Brian GTS
03-06-2014, 01:06 PM
OH how i wish it wasnt so far away!!! , Have fun guys/gals!!!

Wish you could join us too Angel. :(

Updated list:

1) Stan - T
2) Patrick - D, T, B
3) Paul - O
4) Janni - Just hanging out and getting dirty. :)

All fluids will be purchase on-site so far...

billp
03-06-2014, 04:28 PM
Bill P - D, T B

gutterworks129
03-06-2014, 07:37 PM
2014 TA, oil change, I have all the stuff I need. It will fun putting the TA up on the lift:)

C.J
03-06-2014, 09:29 PM
Just stopped at NAPA today...Their GOLD filters are on sale through March 15...they are 50% off! Got two oil filters for the Viper at $3.11 each. Made by Wix in the USA! NAPA item number 1085.

C.J
03-06-2014, 09:33 PM
Janni - Just hanging out and getting dirty. :)

So, I think you're saying that she'll be visiting and helping out a little...

SUB SONC
03-06-2014, 09:43 PM
I would like to change my Transmission fluid, differential, brake and clutch fluid because they are all the same as what rolled off the factory floor in 1996. The factory service manual recommends using Dexron II-E in the transmission. Below is an excerpt from chapter 21 of the factory service manual for a 1996 Dodge Viper.

"The T-56 transmission uses a special type of lubricant called Dexron II-E. This new fluid can withstand higher temperatures than standard Dexron II, Mercon or Mopar 7176 fluid. The use of standard Dexron II, Mercon or Mopar 7176 automatic transmission fluid is not recommended. This is because of the high temperature encountered within the transmission. Hypoid gear lube is not to be used in this transmission. Use of hypoid gar lube will cause hard shifting effort and/or transmission failure."

Below is an excerpt from chapter 3 of the same book:

"All Vipers are equipped with a limited slip differential. Mopar Hypoid Gear Additive should be added if the fluid is replaced. The lubricants recommended for this differential is Mopar High Performance Synthetic Axle Lube SAE 75 W/140 (MS-8985). A container of Mopar Gear Additive (friction modifier) should also be added after a lubricant change. The rear axle on this vehicle receives limited amounts of air flow for cooling. Temperatures within the axle can reach as high as 300 degrees F. Only synthetic axle lube provides optimum protection and durability under extreme temperatures. The use of petroleum based axle lubricants may break down under these conditions. The rear axle fluid capacity is 45 Fl Oz. This includes four ounces of friction modifier.

Factory repair book recommends Mopar Dot 3 brake fluid for clutch and brakes.

Brian GTS
03-06-2014, 10:00 PM
Updated List:

1) Stan - T
2) Patrick - D, T, B
3) Paul - O
4) Janni - Just hanging out and getting dirty. :)
5) Bill - D, T, B
6) Jeremy - O
7) Seth - D, T, B

C.J
03-06-2014, 10:36 PM
Seth, I'd go with DOT4 and using the syntorq tranny fluid will work in your '96. I believe the Dexron can cause the neutral gear rattle.

Jeremy, what are you using in the trans of your '96?

SUB SONC
03-07-2014, 07:07 AM
TSB# NO: 21-06-98
*PARTS REQUIRED:**

4 of #04874459 Transmission Lubricant, SAE 75W (MS-9070)(Quart)
1 of #04275086 Label, Authorized Modification

M/T - Gear Noise Explanation

NO: 21-06-98

GROUP: Transmission

DATE: Apr. 3, 1998

SUBJECT:
Neutral Gear Rattle With Clutch Engaged

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 06-01-97 DATED MARCH 14, 1997, WHICH SHOULD BE NOTED IN THE 1997 TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN MANUAL (PUBLICATION NO. 81-699-98004). THE PARTS AND REPAIR PROCEDURE HAVE BEEN CHANGED. ALL CHANGES ARE MARKED WITH **ASTERISKS**.

**MODELS:**
1994 - 1998 (SR) Viper

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

A light chatter or rattling noise from the clutch housing or transmission area with the clutch engaged and the transmission in neutral. The noise will diminish with the clutch disengaged.

Clearances in the transmission gear teeth are incorporated into the design for component durability. There will always be a slight amount of gear mesh noise. No attempts should be made to disassemble the transmission for this condition.

WARNING :NO ATTEMPTS SHOULD BE MADE TO TIGHTEN THE CLEARANCES BETWEEN THE TRANSMISSION INTERNAL COMPONENTS.

NOTE : WHILE THIS REPAIR IS HELPFUL IN REDUCING NEUTRAL GEAR RATTLE, IT WILL NOT ELIMINATE IT. IN ADDITION, THE NEW FLUID WILL CAUSE SOME INCREASED SHIFTING EFFORT AT 20°F AND BELOW. THIS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL THE TRANSMISSION REACHES NORMAL OPERATING TEMPERATURES. PLEASE INFORM THE OWNER OF THIS POSSIBLE CONDITION BEFORE BEGINNING THE REPAIR.

**DIAGNOSIS:**

Road test the vehicle to warm the vehicle powertrain. Drive in 3rd to 5th gear to help bring the transmission to operating temperatures. Stop the vehicle and apply the parking brake. With the transmission in neutral and the engine running at idle, depress and release the clutch pedal. Listen for a chatter or rattling noise whenever the clutch pedal is released. If the noise is diminished when the clutch is depressed, proceed to the Repair Procedure.

*PARTS REQUIRED:**

4 of #04874459 Transmission Lubricant, SAE 75W (MS-9070) (Quart)
1 of #04275086 Label, Authorized Modification

**REPAIR PROCEDURE:**

This bulletin involves draining the transmission fluid and replacing it with a new lubricant.

1. Drain the transmission fluid by following the procedure in the Viper Service Manual (Publication 81-270-7150) page 21-3.

2. Type the necessary information into the Authorized Modification Label and attach the label near the VECI label.

POLICY: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

TIME ALLOWANCE:

**Labor Operation No: 21-00-10-95 0.4 Hrs.**

FAILURE CODE: P8 - New Part

C.J
03-07-2014, 08:04 AM
Bingo, that's it. Thanks Seth!

Brian GTS
03-07-2014, 02:58 PM
Updated List:

1) Stan - T
2) Patrick - D, T, B
3) Paul - O
4) Janni - Just hanging out and getting dirty.
5) Bill - D, T, B
6) Jeremy - O
7) Seth - D, T, B
8) Marko - ALL
9) Nina & Dugan - O, C
10) Dave <--- Our new member! :)

Next Phase
03-08-2014, 09:53 AM
Not sure if I included it in my email.

All fluids.
I'll bring my own motor oil and filter. Will purchase other fluids on site.

I can bring my shop manual and coffee!

gutterworks129
03-08-2014, 06:33 PM
Hey Craig, I run Dexron in my trans on my 96, Dexron is super cheap and has a nice feel in the trans. The syn stuff is $23 quart and has to warm a bit for smooth shifting. My 96 is soooo loud I can't hear the trans any ways! lol
Seth, I'd go with DOT4 and using the syntorq tranny fluid will work in your '96. I believe the Dexron can cause the neutral gear rattle.
I have a hand pump for changing the rear-end fluid and installing the fluid. Should I bring it for any one?

Jeremy, what are you using in the trans of your '96?

C.J
03-08-2014, 08:42 PM
Hey Jeremy...Good to know you're running dexron. For reasons unknown, I thought you were running the Mopar fluid.

Brian has a fluid vacuum, and I'm bringing a couple different ones, so I think we're good, thanks!

PatrickB
03-10-2014, 10:23 PM
I bought an extra keyfob for the Viper that hasn't been programmed yet - the seller only had one. Have any of you guys coming for the maintenance day reprogrammed one of these yourself? I could use some guidance if so... Viper is a year 2000

Brian GTS
03-10-2014, 10:35 PM
I bought an extra keyfob for the Viper that hasn't been programmed yet - the seller only had one. Have any of you guys coming for the maintenance day reprogrammed one of these yourself? I could use some guidance if so... Viper is a year 2000

Hey Patrick,

Yes, I have done this once. I'll dig up the instructions I used and we'll try it on yours.

PatrickB
03-11-2014, 07:17 AM
Hey Patrick,

Yes, I have done this once. I'll dig up the instructions I used and we'll try it on yours.

Cool, I'll bring the keyfob - thanks Brian!

mendler23
03-11-2014, 10:28 AM
I am up in the air for that weekend at the moment! gaaahh

Is someone going to be doing the fluid changes for us? I'm a driver, not a worker :cool:

Brian GTS
03-11-2014, 10:33 AM

Is someone going to be doing the fluid changes for us? I'm a driver, not a worker :cool:

Yea, we gotcha covered. We'll even have chairs so you don't have to stand. :) If its been over a year since your last oil change, you definitely want to at least get that done.

mendler23
03-12-2014, 05:48 PM
I'll be there. 1997 GTS. Replacing ALL. Purchasing all onsite, minus oil.

C.J
03-12-2014, 06:48 PM

You can be the crew chief. :)

Brian GTS
03-12-2014, 07:53 PM
I'll be there. 1997 GTS. Replacing ALL. Purchasing all onsite, minus oil.

Awesome, see you then.

Updated List:

1) Stan - T
2) Patrick - D, T, B
3) Paul - O
5) Bill - D, T, B
6) Jeremy - O
7) Seth - D, T, B
8) Marko - ALL
9) Nina & Dugan - O, C
10) Dave <--- Our new member! :)
11) Chris

gutterworks129
03-12-2014, 10:58 PM

We will change the blinker fluid and check the muffler bearings also...lol

PatrickB
03-13-2014, 07:17 AM

Ok great I'm EXTREMELY low on blinker fluid.. :D

C.J
03-13-2014, 07:29 AM

Spoken like a true professional! ;)

Brian GTS
03-13-2014, 01:28 PM
Our "Get Your Motor Running" event is just about full! We have 10 cars that RSVP'd for the various fluid changes and maintenance procedures. Members that have not RSVP'd for the event are still encouraged to do so. However, please keep in mind that we may not be able to get to your car due to the number of cars, but we'll try! Also, the sooner you get on the list, the better in the event someone cancels.

If you have RSVP'd for the event but determined you may not be able to make it, please let us know as well so another member can take your spot! So far, these are the members planning to attend with the desired procedures (O = Oil Change, T = Transmission Fluid, B = Brake, C = Clutch, D = Differential, ALL = Everything):

1) Stan - T
2) Patrick - D, T, B
3) Paul - O
5) Bill - D, T, B
6) Jeremy - O
7) Seth - D, T, B
8) Marko - ALL
9) Nina & Dugan - O, C
10) Dave - O
11) Chris - ALL

*** UPDATE ***
Craig mentioned to check your local Wal-Mart as they may have Mobil 1 in 5 quart jugs for $26. An oil filter is not included, but you probably don't need that anyway if you are going OEM. :)

ALTERNATIVE: AUTOZONE
I noticed that Autozone has their 5qt 0W-40 jugs on "sale" for $36 which includes a filter. I only use OEM filters on Vipers, but if your like me, you could get one for one for your "other" car. Even if you throw the filter out, this deal is better than spending $9 a quart! :)

DaveW
03-13-2014, 09:53 PM
I'm a little confused. The blinker fluid wasn't mentioned in my owner's manual for '00 GTS Vipers. Is there a difference between the RT/10s and a GTS? I went to AutoZone and they said I could use any weight oil/lube between 0w and75w. I had some 30w oil for my lawn mower left over from the last time I changed it about 8 years ago. I figured, since I couldn't find a lube point, that all I would need to do was disconnect the cord from the turn signal leaver and pour the oil down the cord and let gravity take its course. Well, be prepared for a catastrophe!!!! The first time I signaled a left turn, oil spewed all over my new jeans and on my floor mats. DOES ANYONE HAVE A GEN 2 GTS DRIVER'S SIDE MAT, BLACK WITH THE RED SNAKY THING??? The jeans look great, now, though.

A friend at Advance Auto Parts said I was stupid to listen to those elementary school dropouts at AutoZone for anything regarding cars. Blinker lights need l at least 75w lube oil. It won't drip/spew on the carpet. So, you are now fore-warned.

I changed the air in my tires again last weekend. SHOULD OF READ THE MANUAL, AGAIN!!!! Duh!!! The bead popped on all the tires, leaving the car flat in the driveway. It's hard enough getting a lift under the car with inflated tires, much less with only an inch of space. AAA came out, but said they couldn't help me. Cancelled that service as soon as they left!

Hope you guys got it better together than I do for service work... As for the muffler bearings, I've still got the originals and don't think there's too much noise yet from the exhaust. However, does anyone have a good deal on a set?

See ya next weekend!!!

Dave

Brian GTS
03-13-2014, 10:11 PM
I'm a little confused. The blinker fluid wasn't mentioned in my owner's manual for '00 GTS Vipers. Is there a difference between the RT/10s and a GTS? I went to AutoZone and they said I could use any weight oil/lube between 0w and75w. I had some 30w oil for my lawn mower left over from the last time I changed it about 8 years ago. I figured, since I couldn't find a lube point, that all I would need to do was disconnect the cord from the turn signal leaver and pour the oil down the cord and let gravity take its course. Well, be prepared for a catastrophe!!!! The first time I signaled a left turn, oil spewed all over my new jeans and on my floor mats. DOES ANYONE HAVE A GEN 2 GTS DRIVER'S SIDE MAT, BLACK WITH THE RED SNAKY THING??? The jeans look great, now, though.

A friend at Advance Auto Parts said I was stupid to listen to those elementary school dropouts at AutoZone for anything regarding cars. Blinker lights need l at least 75w lube oil. It won't drip/spew on the carpet. So, you are now fore-warned.

I changed the air in my tires again last weekend. SHOULD OF READ THE MANUAL, AGAIN!!!! Duh!!! The bead popped on all the tires, leaving the car flat in the driveway. It's hard enough getting a lift under the car with inflated tires, much less with only an inch of space. AAA came out, but said they couldn't help me. Cancelled that service as soon as they left!

Hope you guys got it better together than I do for service work... As for the muffler bearings, I've still got the originals and don't think there's too much noise yet from the exhaust. However, does anyone have a good deal on a set?

See ya next weekend!!!

Dave

Ha Ha Dave....your a riot! That was a truly entertaining read. I hear you guys are heading over to Patrick's neck of the woods for lunch this week. The weather looks promising so hopefully it will be a great turnout. Looking forward to meeting you next week.

P.S. I have a few muffler bearings still sealed in the original packaging if you ever need a set.

On another note, Kristian is joining us from South Carolina!!!

1) Stan - T
2) Patrick - D, T, B
3) Paul - O
5) Bill - D, T, B
6) Jeremy - O
7) Seth - D, T, B
8) Marko - ALL
9) Nina & Dugan - O, C
10) Dave - O
11) Chris - ALL
12) Kristian - ALL

*** ANOTHER OIL DEAL I heard on the radio tonight. If Walmart doesn't work out, go to NAPA....on sale for $5.99 / quart!!! ***

C.J
03-14-2014, 06:57 AM
<suspendReality>
Dave, glad to hear you swapped out that old ineffective factory air in your tires. Aftermarket air in tires is much better and will add at least 10 MPH to your top end.

And you still have your OEM muffler bearings? You must have had Timken bearings from the factory...excellent!
</suspendReality>

Looking forward to meeting you soon.

DaveW
03-14-2014, 02:37 PM
Yep. Timkens only for me. Those Duralast bearings just burn right up.

Mreeves
03-14-2014, 07:01 PM
It looks as if Dave will fit in nicely. Look forward to meeting you.

BTW, The blinker fluid fill tube on my 03 is in the glove box. Also, make sure you stop by Wal-mart and pick up a muffler bearing tool. That's the only way to get them out.

PatrickB
03-14-2014, 07:18 PM
Dave, remind me tomorrow and I'll tell you about a better method for changing the air in your tires.

I know when I first got the factory air out of mine it made a world of difference..

SUB SONC
03-15-2014, 08:17 AM

See ya next weekend!!!

Dave

Dave,

I'm sorry for your perils, at least the jeans look good. I found an online store that sells blinker fluid and muffler bearings. I don't think they are Mopar brand but it looks legit. Oh and for everyone else, they are having a sale on "Elbow Grease" and "Brass Balls."

I am going to order in "a round tuit" if I can ever find the time to do it.

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=9&zenid=r,eAESf0pnQ4dq1SKcrUA2

Seth

Next Phase
03-16-2014, 08:48 PM
Good luck finding any OW-40 at Wal-Mart...was at 3 and found one 5 qt jug. Autozone on Capital had plenty, but only 2 Mobil filters.

Brian GTS
03-16-2014, 10:00 PM
Good luck finding any OW-40 at Wal-Mart...was at 3 and found one 5 qt jug. Autozone on Capital had plenty, but only 2 Mobil filters.

Yea, I hear you. :) Try hitting up NAPA....$5.99 / qt!

Brian GTS
03-19-2014, 01:19 PM
FINAL LIST:

1) Stan - T
2) Patrick - D, T, B
3) Paul - O
5) Bill - D, T, B
6) Jeremy - O
7) Seth - D, T, B
8) Marko - ALL
9) Nina & Dugan - O, C
10) Dave - O
11) Chris - ALL
12) Kristian - ALL
13) Al - Parts Department
14) Mike - Laborer
15) Craig - Laborer
16) Brian - Laborer

We have 16 members attending this event and maybe a potential member (Adam) we met at Raleigh C&C last week!!!

A few things you will need:

1) Oil: If you wish to have your oil changed, Walmart, NAPA, and Autozone all have the best deals going right now.

2) Please remember to bring cash or your checkbook for the fluids you will be purchasing from Capital Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram. FYI, CCJDR is generously providing a great discount to all VOA members on the fluids! A BIG THANKS to Mike, Al, and their dealership! While we don't have the exact costs of each fluid, to provide you a "ballpark" estimate, it costs me about $200 to change ALL fluids in my car last year (transmission, differential, clutch, pwr steering, and brake)...list prices. The tranny and diff fluids are the most expensive at around $20-25 / quart list price.

3) E-mailed my address to those attending. If you did not receive, please let me know!

The event starts at 10:00am and ends at 4:00pm. FREE lunch will be served somewhere between 12:00-1:00pm. I will do my best to direct parking. Let it be known that my grass is NOT sacred, so you may pull in the grass provided you "take it easy" on the clutch. However, if there is driveway space, please feel free to use it. :)

Please let me know if you have any questions. Looking forward to seeing you all this weekend!

Brian, Mike, Craig, Seth, & Chris
Your Carolinas VOA Team

C.J
03-19-2014, 02:00 PM
Thanks Mike, Al, and Capital CJDR for the pricing discount!

DaveW
03-19-2014, 05:35 PM
Patrick,

You still coming through Winston on Saturday? If so, I'll hook up with you with the ride to Raleigh. I'll follow you if its raining as you don't want to be behind a GTS in the rain as the spray kicked up is a pain within a quarter mile. Almost was hit twice in the rear end because I couldn't be seen. Heavy rains, I couldn't see them behind me, and they obviously couldn't see me the closer they got..

Dave

PatrickB
03-19-2014, 06:18 PM
Dave, yep, coming right through Winston so we can hook up - where do you think a good place to meet will be? I don't think we're going to see rain.

DaveW
03-19-2014, 07:46 PM
It's about an hour and a half to Brian's house from mine. I'm a mile off I-40 business, which is actually a shorter route thru Winston. I'm not sure when you want to get to Brian's, I was thinking about 10am. We can meet at my house for breakfast, coffee, around 7am, or I'll just catch you off an entrance ramp around 8am when you let me know you're close.

Amazing the traffic jams Phil & Melody and I caused on I-85 last Saturday with their red RT/10 and my red GTS when we left Concord. People would block us in on both sides, gawking and taking photos. Had to speed up to get away occasionally. Hate to do that in a red car since it visually shows up a mile before laser/ radar picks it up :-).

Let me know your thoughts.

Dave

No hemi
03-19-2014, 09:25 PM
Hey guys have fun this weekend and save me a pair of exhaust bearings, to quiet a little bit the rattlesnake!!! :-D

Brian GTS
03-19-2014, 09:57 PM
Will do Angel! :)

BTW, Al from CCJDR will be bringing oil in the event anyone doesn't have an opportunity to pick some up. Prices are as follows:

0w40 $6.90
10w30 $6.10
5w40 $6.33

He will also be bringing factory Antifreeze 3/5/10yr in case anyone wants to purchase. However, we will not be performing coolant flushes at this event....lots to do, and not enough time in the day!

Brian

C.J
03-20-2014, 07:33 AM
I'm guessing that's the Pennzoil 0W-40? Seems like a very good price...delivered right to your door no less!

Saturday will be a busy day, and I'm looking forward to seeing everyone!

Tip of the day: For folks getting their Viper serviced at Brian's, consider bringing some cleaner/degreaser (e.g. Simple Green, WD-40) and a bunch of shop rags so you can clean up under your car while it's on the lift. Bring some aluminum polish too and polish up your driveshaft.

Weather is looking picture perfect for the day!

PatrickB
03-20-2014, 07:35 AM
It's about an hour and a half to Brian's house from mine. I'm a mile off I-40 business, which is actually a shorter route thru Winston. I'm not sure when you want to get to Brian's, I was thinking about 10am. We can meet at my house for breakfast, coffee, around 7am, or I'll just catch you off an entrance ramp around 8am when you let me know you're close.

Amazing the traffic jams Phil & Melody and I caused on I-85 last Saturday with their red RT/10 and my red GTS when we left Concord. People would block us in on both sides, gawking and taking photos. Had to speed up to get away occasionally. Hate to do that in a red car since it visually shows up a mile before laser/ radar picks it up :-).

Let me know your thoughts.

Dave

Dave, sent you an email about Saturday.

I love riding with a group of Vipers and seeing the gawkers - the looks on people's faces is priceless and makes me smile everytime. It's one thing to be a lone Viper and see people's reactions, but when there are multiple Vipers it's quite the sight!

The red on your GTS and Phil's RT is quite the visual for law enforcement... :D

DaveW
03-20-2014, 04:39 PM
Patrick, Just re-read my post and I guess I'm a bit embarrassed ;-{ OOPS!!! I wasn't trying to get away from the people interested in the Vipers, which most of us probably enjoy, but from being stuck behind slower moving traffic (semi's) by others on both sides who also slowed down. Sorry about that.

Every windshield, grill, front bumper, hood, tire I've ever had to replace/repair on my cars over the past 40+ years was the result of an 18-wheeler. So I get a little (uh - LOT!) paranoid being stuck behind one. Sorry for the geezing... :)

See ya Saturday. Dave

Brian GTS
03-20-2014, 08:15 PM
I'm guessing that's the Pennzoil 0W-40? Seems like a very good price...delivered right to your door no less!

Saturday will be a busy day, and I'm looking forward to seeing everyone!

Tip of the day: For folks getting their Viper serviced at Brian's, consider bringing some cleaner/degreaser (e.g. Simple Green, WD-40) and a bunch of shop rags so you can clean up under your car while it's on the lift. Bring some aluminum polish too and polish up your driveshaft.

Weather is looking picture perfect for the day!

Confirmed the oil he is bringing is the new Pennzoil....

DaveW
03-20-2014, 08:45 PM
Brian,

I'm taking the leap from 10w30 M1 Ext. Performance oil for my '00 GTS, although newer technology than the M1 10w30 basic synthetic in '00, to the latest M1 0w40 for my oil change on Saturday. I understand that SRT designed a new oil filter for the G-IV and V's, but I believe the G-II's had a common Dodge filter in '00. The only filter Mobil shows for the G-II is the M1-204. I believe it is a much better filter than the early OEM's for Viper's, for whatever that's worth. If SRT has redesigned a filter for the earlier Gens as a result of "technological improvements," let me know and that is all I'll use. Otherwise, I'll continue with the newer M1 filters.

By the way, Advance Auto has their oil change special at $35 for 5 quarts M1 0w40 and an M1-204 EP filter for $35. The filter itself is $13, so the oil is $22, or $4.4 a quart for M1 0w40, which is normally about $9.98 a quart.

If ANYONE would like the extra M1-204 filter I've got by buying 2 specials, I'm bringing it on Saturday - 1st come, 1st served.

Dave

mendler23
03-20-2014, 09:44 PM
So, now I just need to bring an new filter?

Brian GTS
03-20-2014, 10:15 PM
Brian,

I'm taking the leap from 10w30 M1 Ext. Performance oil for my '00 GTS, although newer technology than the M1 10w30 basic synthetic in '00, to the latest M1 0w40 for my oil change on Saturday. I understand that SRT designed a new oil filter for the G-IV and V's, but I believe the G-II's had a common Dodge filter in '00. The only filter Mobil shows for the G-II is the M1-204. I believe it is a much better filter than the early OEM's for Viper's, for whatever that's worth. If SRT has redesigned a filter for the earlier Gens as a result of "technological improvements," let me know and that is all I'll use. Otherwise, I'll continue with the newer M1 filters.

By the way, Advance Auto has their oil change special at $35 for 5 quarts M1 0w40 and an M1-204 EP filter for $35. The filter itself is $13, so the oil is $22, or $4.4 a quart for M1 0w40, which is normally about $9.98 a quart.

If ANYONE would like the extra M1-204 filter I've got by buying 2 specials, I'm bringing it on Saturday - 1st come, 1st served.

Dave

Dave,

I read somewhere a few years back that the M1 filters did not flow as well as OEM. In fact, I could be mistaken, but I believe Chuck Tator (The Viper Wizard) had mentioned that to me as well. Therefore, I have always used OEM filters, but you can definitely use what you like. :)

So, now I just need to bring an new filter?

You don't even need to bring a filter since Al will have those for sale as well. We're a fully inventoried outlet now, so all you need is your car! :)

PatrickB
03-21-2014, 07:12 AM
Patrick, Just re-read my post and I guess I'm a bit embarrassed ;-{ OOPS!!! I wasn't trying to get away from the people interested in the Vipers, which most of us probably enjoy, but from being stuck behind slower moving traffic (semi's) by others on both sides who also slowed down. Sorry about that.

Every windshield, grill, front bumper, hood, tire I've ever had to replace/repair on my cars over the past 40+ years was the result of an 18-wheeler. So I get a little (uh - LOT!) paranoid being stuck behind one. Sorry for the geezing... :)

See ya Saturday. Dave

Haha, no worries, I knew what you meant.. :)

I don't think anybody that owns a Viper ever gets tired of the reaction it gets from people..

Brian GTS
03-21-2014, 08:09 PM
See you in the morning and safe travels to all!

DaveW
03-22-2014, 08:57 PM
TOTALLY AWESOME DAY!!!!!! I met a fantastic group of people with the greatest Vipers (along with a special Lambo appearance) and what a wonderful opportunity Brian and his wife gave me, and the other VOA members, by opening their home, garages, lifts, tools, food, and friendship to all of us, including neighbors, passer-bys, and at least a dozen Bambi's that ran by through the adjacent properties to gaze at the cars.

Thank you,
Dave

gutterworks129
03-22-2014, 09:48 PM
What a bunch of super nice people. I can't express how awesome Brian & Janelle, Craig, Mike, and Seth for putting on "Get Your Motor Running" event. To the whole VOA club, thank you.

billp
03-22-2014, 10:15 PM
Great time thanks!!! Brian & Janelle, Craig, Mike, and Seth. What A fun Day, food was Great and Great Viper People!!!:dude3:

Bill

PatrickB
03-22-2014, 11:20 PM
Special thanks goes out to Brian and Janelle for hosting this awesome event; special thanks goes out to Craig & Brain for really taking charge on all of the maintenance work that needed to be performed today. It was great meeting those I didn't already know and so good to see old friends again! The Carolinas VOA is made of up of some really special people and I can't express how happy I am to be a part of it.

Brian GTS
03-22-2014, 11:22 PM
You guys are THE BEST. I sound like a broken record, but we have such a great group of members in our club and I'm so glad to be part of it. It was a PLEASURE to have all of you guys (and gals) over today. I knew the day was going to be fun, but it went beyond my expectations.

And as for the new faces, I really enjoyed meeting Dave....REALLY glad we snagged you fella! And while he has been a member for a while, it was really great to finally meet and hang with Kristian too.

I took a boat load of pictures and will do my best to get them published sometime tomorrow. SUPER PROUD to be a Carolinas VOA member. TWO THUMBS UP!

C.J
03-23-2014, 06:45 AM
What a fun day! Thank you to Brian and Janelle for hosting this great event. Thanks Mike and Al from Capital CJD for bringing fluids, filters, special pricing, and the massive rolling oil container. Meeting Dave, Kristian, Bob, and Bob's wife was a real pleasure. It was great too see everyone too!

Awesome day and an awesome group. And since we're in NC, we can park our cars on the lawn. ;)

Ninjakris
03-23-2014, 07:54 AM
I had a great time yesterday. The biggest thing I took away from it is learning how to do all the fluid changing and leaving with the confidence it was done right and I could accomplish it by myself next time. I also got to drive a new TA which was huge for me since the closest I have been to a gen V before this was at a dealership with ropes around it. Thank you again for everyone who put this on and it was a great to meet so new people.

Next Phase
03-23-2014, 09:08 AM
Thanks Brian and Janelle for hosting the event. Great to meet some new people and see some old friends. Looking forward to a great 2014!

Oh, thanks Jeremy for letting me drive your TA. What an awesome machine. Who wants to buy a 2001 GTS with 14k miles. (Fresh oil change and gatorback belt).

;-)

C.J
03-23-2014, 10:48 AM
Capital CJDR really helped us out yesterday. Here's the parts truck along with a 2006 VCA edition:

Mike, Jeremy, and Stan checking out a '96 GTS and '99 RT/10:

C.J
03-23-2014, 10:51 AM
Lots of black fluids to deal with:

Snakes in the grass:

C.J
03-23-2014, 10:54 AM
Lucky his forward-looking radar helped him stop in time:

Tres Hombres:

Awesome day!

Mreeves
03-23-2014, 11:21 AM
Lucky his forward-looking radar helped him stop in time:

Tres Hombres:

Awesome day!

I guess I did get a little close.
It is always a great time whenever we get together. You guys are awesome!!
Can't wait till the next time.

PatrickB
03-23-2014, 11:21 AM
http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p693/pbrown811/VOA%20Carolinas%20-%20Maintenance%20Event%20-%202014_03_22/SAM_0217_zpsbe3f6a2c.jpg

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p693/pbrown811/VOA%20Carolinas%20-%20Maintenance%20Event%20-%202014_03_22/SAM_0218_zps3e4baa78.jpg

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p693/pbrown811/VOA%20Carolinas%20-%20Maintenance%20Event%20-%202014_03_22/SAM_0220_zps5cdcfb99.jpg

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p693/pbrown811/VOA%20Carolinas%20-%20Maintenance%20Event%20-%202014_03_22/SAM_0221_zps9f3ee218.jpg

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p693/pbrown811/VOA%20Carolinas%20-%20Maintenance%20Event%20-%202014_03_22/SAM_0222_zpse742cccd.jpg

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p693/pbrown811/VOA%20Carolinas%20-%20Maintenance%20Event%20-%202014_03_22/SAM_0223_zps4edbe9bc.jpg

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p693/pbrown811/VOA%20Carolinas%20-%20Maintenance%20Event%20-%202014_03_22/SAM_0224_zpsad934ebf.jpg

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p693/pbrown811/VOA%20Carolinas%20-%20Maintenance%20Event%20-%202014_03_22/SAM_0225_zps1291f73a.jpg

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p693/pbrown811/VOA%20Carolinas%20-%20Maintenance%20Event%20-%202014_03_22/SAM_0226_zpsc4be2b87.jpg

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p693/pbrown811/VOA%20Carolinas%20-%20Maintenance%20Event%20-%202014_03_22/SAM_0227_zpse9065e12.jpg

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p693/pbrown811/VOA%20Carolinas%20-%20Maintenance%20Event%20-%202014_03_22/SAM_0228_zps375b379f.jpg

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p693/pbrown811/VOA%20Carolinas%20-%20Maintenance%20Event%20-%202014_03_22/SAM_0229_zps3360d5d8.jpg

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p693/pbrown811/VOA%20Carolinas%20-%20Maintenance%20Event%20-%202014_03_22/SAM_0231_zpsfa1dc8f7.jpg

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p693/pbrown811/VOA%20Carolinas%20-%20Maintenance%20Event%20-%202014_03_22/SAM_0232_zps3b3e2523.jpg

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p693/pbrown811/VOA%20Carolinas%20-%20Maintenance%20Event%20-%202014_03_22/SAM_0233_zps08fa343c.jpg

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p693/pbrown811/VOA%20Carolinas%20-%20Maintenance%20Event%20-%202014_03_22/SAM_0244_zps35be4bc9.jpg

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p693/pbrown811/VOA%20Carolinas%20-%20Maintenance%20Event%20-%202014_03_22/SAM_0247_zpsf41854d8.jpg

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p693/pbrown811/VOA%20Carolinas%20-%20Maintenance%20Event%20-%202014_03_22/SAM_0250_zps556d08a6.jpg

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p693/pbrown811/VOA%20Carolinas%20-%20Maintenance%20Event%20-%202014_03_22/SAM_0254_zpsccb5a8c3.jpg

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p693/pbrown811/VOA%20Carolinas%20-%20Maintenance%20Event%20-%202014_03_22/SAM_0256_zpsb7398cd4.jpg

PatrickB
03-23-2014, 11:22 AM
http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p693/pbrown811/VOA%20Carolinas%20-%20Maintenance%20Event%20-%202014_03_22/SAM_0257_zpsb98f3904.jpg

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p693/pbrown811/VOA%20Carolinas%20-%20Maintenance%20Event%20-%202014_03_22/SAM_0260_zps1e37b206.jpg

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p693/pbrown811/VOA%20Carolinas%20-%20Maintenance%20Event%20-%202014_03_22/SAM_0261_zps5de60dbd.jpg

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p693/pbrown811/VOA%20Carolinas%20-%20Maintenance%20Event%20-%202014_03_22/SAM_0263_zps0d1a09c6.jpg

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p693/pbrown811/VOA%20Carolinas%20-%20Maintenance%20Event%20-%202014_03_22/SAM_0264_zps717f816a.jpg

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p693/pbrown811/VOA%20Carolinas%20-%20Maintenance%20Event%20-%202014_03_22/SAM_0265_zps9ebd4492.jpg

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p693/pbrown811/VOA%20Carolinas%20-%20Maintenance%20Event%20-%202014_03_22/SAM_0266_zps22fa4bf6.jpg

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p693/pbrown811/VOA%20Carolinas%20-%20Maintenance%20Event%20-%202014_03_22/SAM_0267_zps77e5d846.jpg

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p693/pbrown811/VOA%20Carolinas%20-%20Maintenance%20Event%20-%202014_03_22/SAM_0270_zps5872117a.jpg

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p693/pbrown811/VOA%20Carolinas%20-%20Maintenance%20Event%20-%202014_03_22/SAM_0271_zpse3c90eec.jpg

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p693/pbrown811/VOA%20Carolinas%20-%20Maintenance%20Event%20-%202014_03_22/SAM_0272_zpsab9e471e.jpg

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p693/pbrown811/VOA%20Carolinas%20-%20Maintenance%20Event%20-%202014_03_22/SAM_0262_zps8a927fe7.jpg

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p693/pbrown811/VOA%20Carolinas%20-%20Maintenance%20Event%20-%202014_03_22/SAM_0258_zps5ca1887d.jpg

gutterworks129
03-23-2014, 01:14 PM
Great pics, friends, cars, food!

Brian GTS
03-23-2014, 01:32 PM
Those are exceptional pictures guys. Thanks so much for posting! I'll be compiling mine later today.

No hemi
03-23-2014, 02:18 PM
Wow you guys sure had a blast, lots of beautiful cars and a bunch of nice people, question though, what wheels do you have on your jeep, brian?, love em, also Love your shirt!! :D!!!, hopefully next time!!!

C.J
03-23-2014, 05:48 PM
Patrick, great photos -- thanks for posting!

Angel, sorry you couldn't make it, hopefully we'll see you soon.

No hemi
03-23-2014, 10:21 PM
Thanks CJ!!!

Brian GTS
03-24-2014, 08:26 AM
What a great time! I've never looked "under the dress" of so many Vipers in one day. :)

A BIG THANK YOU to Mike, Al and Capital Chrysler Jeep Dodge for sending their parts van and providing us AWESOME prices on the filters and fluids. That was such a HUGE convenience to have the parts on-site and we received a discount on top of that!. I can't imagine what it would have been like otherwise.

And another BIG THANK YOU to this guy:

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m629/Brian_GTS/srt_IMG_1753_zpsc36f83e7.jpg

Couldn't of pulled this event without you buddy! You are our maintenance encyclopedia and a great friend to boot! Thank you for your hard work, dedication, and taking the time to educate the group on performing the various maintenance procedures. You are a class act!

Well, between Janelle and myself, we had a boat load of photos so I put together a video. Excuse the background music, but I don't own copyrights to the most appropriate song for the day! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3di6-NWdtEc&feature=youtube_gdata

DNRossi
03-24-2014, 08:39 AM
Awesome video, Brian! Thank you again for opening your home to all of us for an awesome day of cars and friends. It is always fun hanging out with the VOA club :)

No hemi
03-24-2014, 09:52 AM
Just saw the Video on FB, awesome video of what looks to have been an awesome day!!

PatrickB
03-24-2014, 09:55 AM
Thank you Brian for another very cool video!

DaveW
03-24-2014, 03:06 PM
Cool video! Thanks again, Brian.

C.J
03-24-2014, 03:32 PM
Brian, it was a pleasure to help out that day. And you hit another video home run! Thank you so much for putting that together.

I guess I'll wear a Viper shirt next time instead of the old SAAC shirt. :)

Thanks again for hosting this event!

Brian GTS
03-24-2014, 06:43 PM
No problem, great fun! BTW, I need to give a shout out to Marko too! He generously brought donuts and coffee for everyone in the morning. You da man Marko....thanks!

C.J
03-24-2014, 09:09 PM
Doughnuts! Thanks Marko! A man who clearly understands the difference between needs and wants...We didn't need doughnuts, but we sure wanted them! Thanks again.

mendler23
03-25-2014, 01:07 PM
It may be completely mental, but I noticed a nice difference on the ride home. :D

billp
03-25-2014, 06:49 PM
First oil change:dude3:

gutterworks129
03-25-2014, 08:26 PM
Yes that was cool Marko brought the coffee and donuts, the video was awesome Brian.

Brian GTS
03-25-2014, 08:49 PM

Love that picture of Jeremy...that's awesome Bill.

Tom Sessions
03-25-2014, 09:38 PM
Looks like you had a blast. Sorry I wasn't able to come up and hang out and play. Maybe next time.

C.J
03-26-2014, 06:44 AM

Best Expression of the Day!

Brian GTS
03-26-2014, 07:33 AM
Looks like you had a blast. Sorry I wasn't able to come up and hang out and play. Maybe next time.

Sorry you couldn't make it Tom. Hopefully next time. Would have been great to have you there.

Brian GTS
03-31-2014, 08:34 PM
A couple requested this photograph, so I am posting it hear as well in case anyone else wants a copy. Also have high res if needed.

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m629/Brian_GTS/srt_IMG_1880_zps27a5a66c.jpg

Torquemonster06
03-31-2014, 11:39 PM
All I can say is WOW. Looks like great times to be had for all. The pics are awesome. You all have some beautiful rides. Nice job and nice way to rep the VOA. Thank you for sharing.