PDA

View Full Version : C8 Corvette

venum4u
07-21-2019, 09:16 AM
So what's everyone's thoughts on the new C8 Corvette

Rocfela
07-21-2019, 09:41 AM
I can’t get over the price. Still not a Viper though...

ACRSNK
07-21-2019, 09:48 AM
Tough to beat for the money

capevettes
07-21-2019, 09:53 AM
Watched the reveal on the 18th. Love the car. Great bang for the buck. 0-60 in under 3 seconds. Lots of advanced technology. They hit a home run with the car.

I am waiting for the Z06. Should be a twin turbo 5.5 Litre, somewhere between 700-800 hp. Wish there was a manual but it's a nice, Tremec DCT. Should be a great performer.

Bill W
07-21-2019, 12:26 PM
Just makes me wish Dodge wouldn’t have abandoned the Viper.

512BB
07-21-2019, 01:11 PM
To be honest, not a fan at all. GM constantly refers to the Vette as best bang for the buck, but in any product you can have two of the three 1) Performance, 2) Quality, 3) Price. When the price is this low and the performance this high, the quality has to be low (which Vettes have always had low quality, cheap components, etc.)

Time will tell but so far, not impressed with it at all since it had three issues late in the development cycle which I am not confident they'll sort out given their track record.

serpent
07-21-2019, 01:21 PM
There $60k price IS cheap, but this is probably a really base base-model version. The version that can do the 0-60 under 3 seconds will probably retail for over $70/$75k. At that point it is more than a c7 stingray with a z51 package.

TheMadMachinist
07-21-2019, 03:10 PM
It kind of looks like a Camaro from the back. Will be interesting to see how it develops down the road as far as higher hp models. Sounds like a lot of car for the money.

nitromilt
07-21-2019, 05:17 PM
Price is good, 0-60 under 3 seconds.... I

StrokerAce
07-21-2019, 07:28 PM
To be honest, not a fan at all. GM constantly refers to the Vette as best bang for the buck, but in any product you can have two of the three 1) Performance, 2) Quality, 3) Price. When the price is this low and the performance this high, the quality has to be low (which Vettes have always had low quality, cheap components, etc.)

Time will tell but so far, not impressed with it at all since it had three issues late in the development cycle which I am not confident they'll sort out given their track record.

Agreed. However, the loaded 3LT version which will have upgraded interior, wheels, sound system, Z51 package....etc will be over $90k. GM is leaving a lot of options out there for customization, which is nice as they have packages everythjng for decades.

My gut says a 600+ hp higher performance model will start at $100k and option out at $140k. Maybe another halo version at a slightly higher price point.

TheLoRyder
07-22-2019, 08:14 AM
The stated performance is certainly impressive. Which brings me to think about two things:
1. When magazines finally get a hold of them for review, will that under 3s be achievable in real world conditions?
2. If the engine was mounted front-mid ship, definitely behind the front axle would it be all that different?

To me, it's ugly. Over-styled. Camaro rear-end. Most mid-ship cars are ugly, there's just a restriction on styling that you can't do without a front mounted engine coupe. The Ford GT is the exception to this for me. The C8, it looks like a door wedge.

All we've seen is a base model for now. Soon they'll sell 30,000 a year as they have in the past, and they'll be everywhere.

Bill Pemberton
07-22-2019, 08:54 AM
The initial price is good , but seriously doubt one will see any under 80K with the normal options, and like the program set up years back by Ford and then FCA, the initial price will probably not include shipping or gas guzzler, so 65K will probably be where it begins? Sure 80-90K is still a solid price structure for a mid engine sportscar, and there are some cool innovations with the interesting dry sump setup, but I do believe the initial excitement on cost will have a rude awakening , because I doubt many Dealers would even consider a base Vette, partly due to first year greed, but honestly because they do not sell. I do know our Chevy Store is getting bombarded and many of the calls I get are from Viper owners, and I hope it sells like hotcakes, as that might be the impetus to get Viper back into the supercar fold? Just wishing.........................

PS --- if any of you are calling my cell ( 402-677-5864) please leave a message if I don't answer or email me at billpemberton@woodhouse.com. Have been a bit hesitant of answering some numbers , of late, as I am getting 5-10 spam calls a day. Thanks.

PSPS - and no to the question of whether we are jacking up the price on the new Vette, just MSRP and have been helping my Snakebrothers with this.

Sybil TF
07-22-2019, 11:10 AM
I hate corvettes. First one I like. It's an awesome looking car. Who knows what dealer mark up will be but I wouldn't buy the first year model anyway. Buy after the hype is over. Many of you know what I mean:p

IndyRon
07-22-2019, 07:35 PM
The proportions are good. Very 458/488/F8 Tributo -esque. The problem with the C8 is the same as with the C7 Z cars. Very aggressive but looks as though designed by a 15yo aspiring artist. Doesn't look good from all angles and the compound curves/corners/edges don't flow. Where the F cars design language flows throughout the car, the Corvette just looks cheap and kit car-ish. That said, great performance numbers! The GT500 seems like a better/cooler car to me.

ForTehNguyen
07-22-2019, 09:49 PM
There $60k price IS cheap, but this is probably a really base base-model version. The version that can do the 0-60 under 3 seconds will probably retail for over $70/$75k. At that point it is more than a c7 stingray with a z51 package.

IMO only specs worth a damn will be 80k.

Just something to think about, this is coming from the same company who makes 65-70k trucks trims (silverado high country and sierra denalis) that look like utter trash compared to lower priced ones like the Ram Limited. Yet somehow they pulled a rabbit out of the hat for this one? Cautiously optimistic because the C7 Z06 was such a bargain, but the problem was you had to complete the engineering with $1000s of dollars worth of aftermarket mods to improve its heat management.

Pilot Sport 4S tires come on the Z51 package, then what tire is gonna be on the base? All seasons?

Angleiron
07-23-2019, 04:33 AM
All we've seen is a base model for now. Soon they'll sell 30,000 a year as they have in the past, and they'll be everywhere.

This is something that I never understood about GM, and more so now with this car. Unless you were a car guy the average person could not tell the difference between a base vette and a ZR1. This car should have been a stand alone model and they should have kept the previous generation to make the mid engine vette special. Instead they did what they always do...they will have 3-4 versions of a car that will all look alike to 95% of the population.

Schen
07-23-2019, 08:20 AM
That's because GM is in the market to make money. Resale values don't effect them, so build as many as they can and give it updates through it's lifespan.

I'm impressed with the initial release. I honestly was expecting $75k at the minimum but still it's under the $100k mark and still makes it at great buy for a mid engine supercar.

-RS

F2V
07-23-2019, 08:28 AM
Huge winner, well done GM!

Salties
07-23-2019, 08:30 AM
I'm in.

Joel
07-23-2019, 09:19 AM
I admire the engineering but GM quality is terrible. Ugly transformer styling. Last gen just as ugly so I was looking for an improvement. Doubt the 0-60 time but we'll see. But the fact that this intro is so hyped shows just how badly Dodge managed the intro and sales of the Gen 5 Viper.

Vipes
07-23-2019, 11:00 AM
I do not think you can beat the performance value for the $$. I don't think the C8 will be a slouch on the track either.

2020 Vette
495 HP
Mid Engine 6.2L V8
RWD
8 Speed DCT
3,366lbs Curb weight
2.9s 0-60 (with Z51 Package)
$60,000 Base Price

Lets compare this with a few others:

2020 Ford GT 500
760 HP
5.2L Supercharged V8
RWD
7 Speed DCT
3,750lbs Curb weight (unconfirmed)
3.5s 0-60
$70,000 Base Price (unconfirmed)

2020 Supra
335 HP
3.0L Inline 6cyl
RWD
8 Speed Auto
3,397lbs Curb Weight
4.1 0-60
$50,000 Base Price

2019 Acura NSX
573 HP
3.5L V6
AWD
9 Speed DCT
3,878lbs Curb weight
3.0 0-60
$157,500 Base Price

2020 Nissan GT-R
565 HP
3.8L TT V6
AWD
6 Speed DCT
3,911lbs Curb weight
2.9s 0-60
$115,235 Base price

2020 Audi R8
562 HP
5.2L V10
AWD
7 Speed DCT
3,722lbs Curb weight
3.4 0-60
$169,900 Base price

2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S
443 HP
3.0L TT Flat 6
RWD
8 Speed DCT
3,382lbs Curb weight
3.5s 0-60
$113,300 Base price

ViperNC
07-23-2019, 02:05 PM
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/autos-sports/gm-explains-how-it-kept-the-2020-chevy-corvette-under-dollar60000/ar-AAEKs6l?li=BBnb4R5#image=AAEKs5V|11

Guess they plan on selling a lot of them.... economies of scale. Better sell more than the C7 if they want to profit.

Rand
07-23-2019, 09:22 PM
I like the front and side views, but not a fan of the rear of the car. Am guessing the subsequent variants of the C8 will have a ton of power and will perform well after they get it "dialed in". I have no doubt that vette fans will like and support this car. The real question GM is struggling with is whether any vette or performance car will be that appealing to the younger buyers...

viperBase1
07-26-2019, 08:47 AM
First, this is probably the most fair minded and reasonable C8 forum thread on the entire internet right now.

I wasted about 9 months of my life researching the C7 with some focused attention on the GrandSport. I was a "Grandsport Gonna Be" for a number of months.
Discovered these cars had SO MANY problems and that GM was a very different car company (than I had previously thought).

Right on!

That (1)(2)(3) formula/axiom will never let you down and can be applied to everything in life.

IMO, the GM track record on fixing the C7 has been abysmal.

Ding Ding Ding.. Serpent gets free beer!

It's only the the Z51 + the Z51 Performance Package that goes 0-60 in under 3 seconds.

Some Chevy Dealer dude on the UTube says these are the prices:

Z51 1LT => $64K
Z51 2LT => $68.5K
Z51 3LT => $74K

Sounds like nobody knows the exact price of the Z51 Performance Package just yet.
So add that unkown price $$ in and... you're squarely into the $70K-$80K range.

There's going to be a very rude awakening for a lot of folks thinking they get that performance for "less than $60K".

Price is good, 0-60 under 3 seconds.... I
See I tried to 'tol you Lucy!!!

I hate corvettes. First one I like. It's an awesome looking car. Who knows what dealer mark up will be but I wouldn't buy the first year model anyway. Buy after the hype is over. Many of you know what I mean:p
+1 I know exactly what you mean.

I like the looks of the C7 just fine and I wanted it to be a good car.. but its just sad the way it all turned out (for me).

IMO only specs worth a damn will be 80k.

Just something to think about, this is coming from the same company who makes 65-70k trucks trims (silverado high country and sierra denalis) that look like utter trash compared to lower priced ones like the Ram Limited. Yet somehow they pulled a rabbit out of the hat for this one? Cautiously optimistic because the C7 Z06 was such a bargain, but the problem was you had to complete the engineering with $1000s of dollars worth of aftermarket mods to improve its heat management.

Pilot Sport 4S tires come on the Z51 package, then what tire is gonna be on the base? All seasons?
ForTheNguyen for the win!

Huge winner, well done GM!
GM hasn't actually released the car to production yet. It's still just a paper tiger.

I'd withhold the celebration and congrats until after it endured some fair minded reviews by respected third parties.

The comparisons of the UNKNOWN C8 (w/no factual support data) to long lists of other KNOWN cars (w/factual support data) have just been ridiculous.

I admire the engineering but GM quality is terrible. Ugly transformer styling. Last gen just as ugly so I was looking for an improvement. Doubt the 0-60 time but we'll see.
+1 Somebody else smelled a rat.

0-60 in under 3 seconds. Lots of advanced technology. They hit a home run with the car.
I am waiting for the Z06. Should be a twin turbo 5.5 Litre, somewhere between 700-800 hp. Wish there was a manual but it's a nice, Tremec DCT. Should be a great performer.
If 0-60 in under 3 seconds is the big data point, why didn't everyone go crazy-nutso over the Tesla? It's about the same price point (well over $60K).

Definitely wait. Don't do anything for 2 years and then see what the situation is with the C8 and GM.

The Tremec DCT is the best news I've heard about the C8.. however they bought a company called Hoerbiger that actually makes it.. fingers crossed they made it better/stronger.

I haven't heard one word about the Automatic Fuel Management system (AFM), which was required to meet certain fuel efficiency standards in the automatic transmission version of the C7. The AFM turned cylinders off/on thru fuel delivery. It also meant the car was exempt from the Luxury/Gas Guzzler Tax.

In the C7 this was the A8 slushbox tansmission. The AFM would oscillate so rapidly the torque dynamics on the transmission caused all kinds of failures.
The problem would manifest as a violent shaking and shuddering of the entire car. Who knows what impact that has on other components.

What is the AFM going to do to the brand new Dual Clutch transmission. I heard them say (rather nervously) there was no "off the shelf DCT that could handle the power of the V8 available, so they had to make one". Which IMO is a very frightening prospect for a variety of reasons.

If they ditched the AFM all together then it likely means the Gas Guzzler Tax is added to the bill.
But so far, there's been zero information on that subject.

viperBase1
07-28-2019, 10:14 AM
Dug in on the interWebz, did a little (RESEARCH) and verified the C8 will IN FACT have the Automatic Fuel Management system (AFM).

Turns out its a buried in a line item on the C8 order form: “LT2- Engine Gas, 8 Cyl, 6.2L DI, AFM, VVT, HO, Alum,”

OMG! Those poor little dual clutches!
Until I learn otherwise, I don't think this is gonna be a good thing.

The only good news (I guess) is they've avoided the Gas Guzzler tax.

capevettes
07-28-2019, 12:47 PM
First, this is probably the most fair minded and reasonable C8 forum thread on the entire internet right now.

I wasted about 9 months of my life researching the C7 with some focused attention on the GrandSport. I was a "Grandsport Gonna Be" for a number of months.
Discovered these cars had SO MANY problems and that GM was a very different car company (than I had previously thought).

Right on!

That (1)(2)(3) formula/axiom will never let you down and can be applied to everything in life.

It's only the the Z51 + the Z51 Performance Package that goes 0-60 in under 3 seconds.

Z51 1LT => $64K
Z51 2LT => $68.5K
Z51 3LT => $74K

Sounds like nobody knows the exact price of the Z51 Performance Package just yet.

There's going to be a very rude awakening for a lot of folks thinking they get that performance for "less than $60K".

I like the looks of the C7 just fine and I wanted it to be a good car.. but its just sad the way it all turned out (for me).

GM hasn't actually released the car to production yet. It's still just a paper tiger.

I'd withhold the celebration and congrats until after it endured some fair minded reviews by respected third parties.

The comparisons of the UNKNOWN C8 (w/no factual support data) to long lists of other KNOWN cars (w/factual support data) have just been ridiculous.

If 0-60 in under 3 seconds is the big data point, why didn't everyone go crazy-nutso over the Tesla? It's about the same price point (well over $60K).

Definitely wait. Don't do anything for 2 years and then see what the situation is with the C8 and GM.

The Tremec DCT is the best news I've heard about the C8.. however they bought a company called Hoerbiger that actually makes it.. fingers crossed they made it better/stronger.

I haven't heard one word about the Automatic Fuel Management system (AFM), which was required to meet certain fuel efficiency standards in the automatic transmission version of the C7. The AFM turned cylinders off/on thru fuel delivery. It also meant the car was exempt from the Luxury/Gas Guzzler Tax.

In the C7 this was the A8 slushbox tansmission. The AFM would oscillate so rapidly the torque dynamics on the transmission caused all kinds of failures.
The problem would manifest as a violent shaking and shuddering of the entire car. Who knows what impact that has on other components.

What is the AFM going to do to the brand new Dual Clutch transmission. I heard them say (rather nervously) there was no "off the shelf DCT that could handle the power of the V8 available, so they had to make one". Which IMO is a very frightening prospect for a variety of reasons.

If they ditched the AFM all together then it likely means the Gas Guzzler Tax is added to the bill.

It does have AFM. Have it in my current C7 Z06. Not too worried about it. I might even buy a first year then move up to the Z06 when it arrives.

Arizona Vipers
07-28-2019, 12:48 PM
When the Z06 comes out, it will annihilate even my 9 liter track car on the track. DCT and mid engine and 750+hp, I won't be able to touch that. I'll carry the torch as long as I can, but these will be hard to beat on track. They'll be able to put full power down out of slow turns way sooner than I can. I can barely beat 500hp GT3's as it is. The Z06 will start under $100K and will be 900whp with a pulley and tune and stay cool on track.

ViperJon
07-28-2019, 02:02 PM
I admire the engineering but GM quality is terrible. Ugly transformer styling. Last gen just as ugly so I was looking for an improvement. Doubt the 0-60 time but we'll see. But the fact that this intro is so hyped shows just how badly Dodge managed the intro and sales of the Gen 5 Viper.

It may be a lot of things, but ugly it is NOT.

kriskyk
07-28-2019, 02:52 PM
When the Z06 comes out, it will annihilate even my 9 liter track car on the track. DCT and mid engine and 750+hp, I won't be able to touch that. I'll carry the torch as long as I can, but these will be hard to beat on track. They'll be able to put full power down out of slow turns way sooner than I can. I can barely beat 500hp GT3's as it is. The Z06 will start under $100K and will be 900whp with a pulley and tune and stay cool on track.

Get a sequential and your back I'm the game, faster shift response are possible than DCT....

J TNT
07-28-2019, 03:27 PM
Get a sequential and your back I'm the game, faster shift response are possible than DCT....
A sequential is also half the weight of a DCT. Guess that’s why Calvo uses them....

Arizona Vipers
07-28-2019, 07:55 PM

Right on!

Z51 1LT => $64K
Z51 2LT => $68.5K
Z51 3LT => $74K

The Tesla Model S performance base price is $99,990.
Most rear/mid engine cars do sub 3 second zero to 60, that's just from the added traction. The GT3's have been doing it with 500hp and half the torque of the vette for years.
Who cares about the base model anyway, I don't think any Viper owners would consider it. I have a feeling the Z06 will be coming out very soon, one year max and will be well under $90K to start.

Arizona Vipers
07-28-2019, 08:08 PM

The advantages on track with a good automatic compared to a manual are not just limited to faster shifts and faster acceleration that's just a small part.
After having tracked my AMG GTR on the same tracks as my Viper's I can tell you a DCT gives you an advantage EVERYWHERE. Not having to worry about multiple downshifts at the end of long straights lets you set up for the corner a lot better, and the car is programmed to shift ANYTIME that the car knows will make you faster this includes in mid-turn where a manual or sequential shifting would unsettle the car. This doesn't happen with a well.programmed automatic. I can go on and on. Just look at the 6.56 Ring time of the 500hp GT3RS. Imagine if the 650hp Gen 5 had a DCT. sigh. There's a reason why they are heavily penalized in Nasa and most other similar organisations. In Global Time Attack for example, any modern automatic car puts you in the unlimited group, even if you had 100hp.

viperBase1
07-29-2019, 11:19 AM
It does have AFM. Have it in my current C7 Z06. Not too worried about it. I might even buy a first year then move up to the Z06 when it arrives.
K', well keep us posted. We're gonna need to hear some honest, real-world reporting from early adopters.

N' we'll be rootin' for ya!

Not clear if the C8 will be "tunable" just yet. Supposed to get over the air updates to the ECU direct from GM.
But no doubt, the race community will find a way.

[QUOTE=J TNT;388848]A sequential is also half the weight of a DCT. Guess that

viperBase1
07-29-2019, 11:22 AM
K', well keep us posted. We're gonna need to hear some honest, real-world reporting from early adopters.

Not clear if the C8 will be "tunable" just yet. Supposed to get over the air updates to the ECU direct from GM.

A sequential is also half the weight of a DCT. Guess that’s why Calvo uses them.
I did not know that.

The advantages on track with a good automatic compared to a manual are not just limited to faster shifts and faster acceleration that's just a small part.
After having tracked my AMG GTR on the same tracks as my Viper's I can tell you a DCT gives you an advantage EVERYWHERE. Not having to worry about multiple downshifts at the end of long straights lets you set up for the corner a lot better, and the car is programmed to shift ANYTIME that the car knows will make you faster this includes in mid-turn where a manual or sequential shifting would unsettle the car. This doesn't happen with a well.programmed automatic. I can go on and on. Just look at the 6.56 Ring time of the 500hp GT3RS. Imagine if the 650hp Gen 5 had a DCT. sigh. There's a reason why they are heavily penalized in Nasa and most other similar organisations. In Global Time Attack for example, any modern automatic car puts you in the unlimited group, even if you had 100hp.
I agree. Only been driving the PDK in my Cayman for two months and I'm amazed at how much that transmission makes the car.
Shifting in the middle of a turn is seamless and has no effect on the state of the car.

My Cayman is only 275hp and it's Lightening Quick in Manual+Sport Mode on the street. Its an absolute gas to drive.
Weighs about the same as my GenIV Viper. Handling is kind of similar.. Viper has more grip and is way stiffer.. but gonna take steps to tighten up the Cayman.

Right now, can't imagine what it would be like to drive 500hp on a PDK!

Arizona Vipers
07-29-2019, 02:22 PM

[QUOTE=J TNT;388848]A sequential is also half the weight of a DCT. Guess that

Yeah I'm hoping the car will be uncrackable, but they said the ZR1 was and it eventually got hacked. It took them a LONG time though.

kriskyk
07-30-2019, 08:47 AM

Have you driven or ridden in a car with a sequential with active throttle cut and rev matching?

Arizona Vipers
07-30-2019, 10:07 AM
Have you driven or ridden in a car with a sequential with active throttle cut and rev matching?

Yep, I owned one. My 2013 had it for awhile

outnumbered
07-30-2019, 10:25 AM
This does look pretty good. But there will be thousands of them on the road.

Red Dog
07-30-2019, 04:15 PM
This thread is an interesting read . . . and I agree with viperBase1:

capevettes
07-31-2019, 05:46 AM
Just ordered a C8 Mid Engine, Z51 performance package. Elkhart Lake Blue. Should have it by April. My C7 Z06 will be going after I get back from Carlisle in late August. I told the dealer I would keep this C8 until the higher horse variant comes out.

I will let you know my impressions of the car once I am able to give it a good flogging.

viperBase1
07-31-2019, 11:42 AM
Just ordered a C8 Mid Engine, Z51 performance package. Elkhart Lake Blue. Should have it by April. My C7 Z06 will be going after I get back from Carlisle in late August. I told the dealer I would keep this C8 until the higher horse variant comes out.

I will let you know my impressions of the car once I am able to give it a good flogging.

Oh c'mon man, you can't leave us hanging like that!!

The final price on your invoice was?

Arizona Vipers
07-31-2019, 12:24 PM

Congrats! What are you paying, MSRP? How much deposit did you have to put down?

capevettes
08-01-2019, 05:07 AM
I put down a $2,500 deposit. They won't have pricing on all the options until August 15th. Base sticker is about 60 grand. I'm adding the Z51 with magnetic selective ride control, upgraded wheels. Not loading it up, 1LT package to keep it light. My guess is it will come in under 70,000. I will let you know after Aug 15th.

Arizona Vipers
08-01-2019, 08:57 AM
I put down a $2,500 deposit. They won't have pricing on all the options until August 15th. Base sticker is about 60 grand. I'm adding the Z51 with magnetic selective ride control, upgraded wheels. Not loading it up, 1LT package to keep it light. My guess is it will come in under 70,000. I will let you know after Aug 15th.
Z51 on the C7 was $5K, so it'll be $5K-$6K on the C8 which is a STEAL. Dry sump, bigger brakes, magnetic shocks, stiffer springs, aero, on and on. If they crack the computer would you mod it?

viperBase1
08-01-2019, 09:16 AM

Hey thanks Cape, much appreciated.

Yeah, AFAIK they haven't released the pricing on the Z51 Performance Package yet. I've heard $8K - $12K, but no one knows for sure.

Congrats man!

USAFPILOT
08-01-2019, 05:43 PM
This does look pretty good. But there will be thousands of them on the road. That is a good looking car...is it a Lambo?

Old School
08-02-2019, 12:44 PM
Previous mid-engine concept Corvettes

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/mid-engine-corvettes-that-were-not/2100007621/?category=all-the-latest

capevettes
08-03-2019, 08:14 AM

Yeah, AFAIK they haven't released the pricing on the Z51 Performance Package yet. I've heard $8K - $12K, but no one knows for sure.

Congrats man!

Thanks. I am getting the car at MSRP. The Z51 option is expected to be marginally higher than the C7 Z51. This car should come in under 70 grand.

The only mod I plan is to upgrade to the Z06 when it comes out. A friend of mine who has a couple of Vipers went down and ordered one with me.

mikesax
08-03-2019, 10:50 AM
I've had 4 Vettes-a 66/67/71 and an 84-UGH to that last one! My older ones were AMAZING in their uniqueness- having owned the first 3 in the 90's and early 2000's! The Viper for 10 years extended that uniqueness times 1000! Couldn't think of any other car coming close to what my Vipers were and are! HOWEVER- the new Vette looks amazing- at least for now with the Z51 package and high wing it really nails it IMO!
Im "old school"- wouldn't buy the new architecture in the first year-but if it performs as well as I think it will I will be adding a 2021 without a doubt! I designed a white one on the configurator and that size wing is perfect and it finishes off the rear NICELY- that the part of the car that didn't do it for me initially! TOUCHE to GM and CHEVY-the new Vette is definitely a WINNER!

commandomatt
08-03-2019, 01:29 PM
The way I feel about the C8, it’s like your favorite team got eliminated in the tournament.....so now you are rooting for the next best thing, still supporting the US

I like it and would not be opposed to getting one after the dust settles a bit

I would have never considered a previous generation Vette but this is American, fresh, different and it appears that it will haul ass.

Arizona Vipers
08-03-2019, 02:52 PM

Congrats man!

I'm 99.9% sure the Z51 package will be $5K. Remember with the C7 it was $5K and that included a dry sump. The C8 has a dry sump standard.

Pappy
08-04-2019, 02:42 PM
I would like to see the car on track. Spring Mountain is getting their cars in Oct. The car should have a heavy rear weight bias, but I am concerned about the capability of the skinny 245 front tires on a car that will weigh over 3500# on track (3361# dry plus fluids and driver). Here is how they addressed that problem on the C8R. The front tires look to be 10-11 inches, with a much larger rear tire - indicating a rear weight bias. I am curious how big a track tire you can fit on a stock-bodied C8 and whether or not that will be required to be competitive. There are also unknowns regarding things such as chassis rigidity, aero downforce, etc.

Pappy

Arizona Vipers
08-04-2019, 04:30 PM
Pappy the exotic mid engine cars all run a small tire like that. Same with the GT3. I remember when Jason first got A7's on his GT3 they only made a 205 front and he ran the 205 and broke the TT2 record at east track by 2 seconds, he was faster than my ACR!

Pappy
08-04-2019, 06:55 PM
Pappy the exotic mid engine cars all run a small tire like that. Same with the GT3. I remember when Jason first got A7's on his GT3 they only made a 205 front and he ran the 205 and broke the TT2 record at east track by 2 seconds, he was faster than my ACR!

True, but most of those cars are a lot lighter than the C8. The GT2 RS uses a 265 front tire, has a 39f/61r weight distribution, and is at least 400# lighter. I don't believe the C8 will make 40f/60r due to packaging of all the nannies, computers, and driver comfort stuff - I'm predicting 45/55 at best. From the looks of the front there are a lot of radiators there with the associated plumbing (heavy and ahead of the axle centerline). I think I will be close to the 40/60 bias with the front of the motor 16 inches behind the front axle and the center of mass of the engine/clutch/trans 34 inches back (1/3 of the 102 inch wheelbase). The rest of the heavy stuff (rear end, fuel cell, battery, fire system, etc. ) is on or very near the rear axle centerline. I also plan on having way more aero downforce than the C8, so I will start with a 335 size front tire - I think I'll need it.

39482[

Nine Ball
08-04-2019, 07:33 PM
I think GM did an awesome job at delivering performance, aesthetics, and price point. I'll wait for the Z06 version, which typically comes out the following year. I wouldn't trade either of my Vipers for one, but I will add one to the garage.

Tony

Arizona Vipers
08-15-2019, 09:51 AM
I was dead nuts on, the Z51 option is $5K- https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a28707762/2020-chevrolet-c8-corvette-stingray-msrp-option-pricing/