PDA

View Full Version : Smooth Tubes

TRH62
05-23-2019, 08:08 PM
I have a 2013 GTS and was thinking about changing out the original air intake tubes to DS smooth tubes. Would this really do anything for my car? Basically is it worth doing?

Thanks

01sapphirebob
05-23-2019, 09:08 PM
I have a 2013 GTS and was thinking about changing out the original air intake tubes to DS smooth tubes. Would this really do anything for my car? Basically is it worth doing?

Thanks

Stick with the factory setup. Dodge/SRT spent a lot of time on the airbox for the GEN IV which was ultimately used on the GEN V and if anything I believe there is some power loss when you use something other then the factory setup.

TRH62
05-24-2019, 01:24 PM
I've read that before.

Thanks for restating it.

13COBRA
05-24-2019, 01:29 PM
The DS smooth tubes won't hurt or help performance, they look good though.

FIVESTAR
06-08-2019, 02:50 AM
What are the DS smooth tubes made out of? I’m unfamiliar with them. If they’re aluminum, forget it. If they’re composite, or silicone, they will be fine. They most certainly wouldn’t lose power so long as they’re not attracting heat like aluminum... they would gain power, but it wouldn’t be a measurable amount. If you get me measurements, I can make you some composite smooth tubes... and they wouldn’t be very expensive. A long enough span of silicone could collapse as air is getting drawn through it... That’s not likely to happen with a relatively stock viper, but it’s not out of the realm of possibility.

JonB ~ PartsRack
06-08-2019, 09:48 AM
Tidbit thoughts:

With 8+ LITRES of air flying thru the intake tubes every 2 RPM, the cooling effect on the tubes themselves is significant. At 3000rpm the venturi effect cools them!

They only become hot to the touch when idling / parking. It would be essentially impossible for any residual heat to warm the intake charge for more than a couple of seconds. Some drag-racers lay ice-packs on their intakes.....Maybe that first 2 seconds matters in a championship drag race?

Otherwise, use what you like, cosmetic or otherwise. But eliminating intake charge turbulence is a GOOD thing, especially G1-2 vs OE.