PDA

View Full Version : new owner a few questions

viper wannabe
05-04-2019, 10:52 PM
first off, i'll have to figure out how to change my name. i learned from my prior experiences to check out the forums before buying a car that interests me. i now own a Gen IV SSG roadster. i purchased the 2010 in November; sold by a dealer outside of Chicago.

a few questions:
1. i hear a very light metal click/clunk/noise when letting out the clutch, especially when reversing directions. my noise is on the outside of the left rear end, by the wheel. i only hear it during the 1st half rotation of the rear wheel, starting off in either direction. it sounds like a millimeter looseness in an axle spline, or however the power transfer works. just curious if someone ever dealt with it before.

2. air intake - the engine air intake looks adequate, but it looks like the air only comes through the smaller hood scoop, and then has to get routed down into the engine air intake. does that restrict air flow/intake?

3. i usually HPDE with NASA NE. is there a Viper club that rents out track time for hpde too? i'm in Jersey.

Paul.

Fatman2006
05-04-2019, 11:47 PM
first off, i'll have to figure out how to change my name. i learned from my prior experiences to check out the forums before buying a car that interests me. i now own a Gen IV SSG roadster. i purchased the 2010 in November; sold by a dealer outside of Chicago.

a few questions:
1. i hear a very light metal click/clunk/noise when letting out the clutch, especially when reversing directions. my noise is on the outside of the left rear end, by the wheel. i only hear it during the 1st half rotation of the rear wheel, starting off in either direction. it sounds like a millimeter looseness in an axle spline, or however the power transfer works. just curious if someone ever dealt with it before.

2. air intake - the engine air intake looks adequate, but it looks like the air only comes through the smaller hood scoop, and then has to get routed down into the engine air intake. does that restrict air flow/intake?

3. i usually HPDE with NASA NE. is there a Viper club that rents out track time for hpde too? i'm in Jersey.

Paul.

1. It's normal everyone has that noise, but it's very annoying, I switched to a WaveTrac diff and it went away.

2. As far as I've read, the Viper intake is very efficient.

3. I don't know what any of that means.

viper wannabe
05-05-2019, 08:36 AM
thank you for letting me know that "tough to hear" noise has been heard before.
but, why did you change out your differential?

Fatman2006
05-05-2019, 10:57 AM
thank you for letting me know that "tough to hear" noise has been heard before.
but, why did you change out your differential?

A couple reasons. First I'm OCD and the clunk drove me nuts. Second I read a few threads about diffs in the Gen 3 eating itself, I don't know if the Gen 4 have the same issue. And last the WaveTrac is a better diff.

mattssg
05-08-2019, 09:25 AM
PM Sent!!!

Ackerman Effect!! All is normal bro!

Mamba003
05-08-2019, 10:41 AM
The genIII rear was terrible. The GenIV was improved but still not up to par, especially adding power. My GenIII would drift to left no matter the pavement, throttle input (instant or progressive) or grip.... I went with a OS Giken and can floor it in any gear, melt the tires and still be dead straight. So much safer... For GenIIIs the runflats exasperated the problem.

Mamba003
05-08-2019, 10:42 AM
BTW the Clubs (NY/CT and NJ) do do track events. Tune into the region forums on this site.

City
05-08-2019, 11:03 AM
i'll have to figure out how to change my name. is there a Viper club that rents out track time for hpde too? i'm in Jersey.

Paul.

Congrats Paul.

What do you want your forum name to be?

Try the NJ https://driveviper.com/forums/forums/40-New-Jersey
and
NY/CT Regions https://driveviper.com/forums/forums/41-NY-CT

SSGNRDZ_28
05-08-2019, 01:41 PM
The stock air intake is good, it seals against the hood and actually provides a ram air effect. If you want to improve IAT and shield against heat from the radiator and engine bay take a look at the intake heat shield. What is out of sight/ mind for Gen IV guys is available on the dash of the Gen V - IATs 20-60 degrees above ambient causing pulled timing (above 77F) in nearly any temperature you’d want to drive a Viper.

Thanks
Doug

Viper vince
05-08-2019, 03:38 PM
Hi Paul beautiful car I love the color. Are you from the Chicago area?

viper wannabe
06-01-2019, 09:37 PM
Hi Paul beautiful car I love the color. Are you from the Chicago area?.
hi Vince.
no, i'm from Jersey, so i flew to Chicago and drove it home.
22mpg at 80mph - that 6th gear is so low, but the torque gets me up hills.
i get half of that now.
i miss the cruise control. it just doesn't feel you are going that fast with rpms so low.

thanks for the reply.

viper wannabe
06-01-2019, 09:39 PM
BTW the Clubs (NY/CT and NJ) do do track events. Tune into the region forums on this site.

will do.
thank you.

viper wannabe
06-01-2019, 09:47 PM
The stock air intake is good, it seals against the hood and actually provides a ram air effect. If you want to improve IAT and shield against heat from the radiator and engine bay take a look at the intake heat shield. What is out of sight/ mind for Gen IV guys is available on the dash of the Gen V - IATs 20-60 degrees above ambient causing pulled timing (above 77F) in nearly any temperature you’d want to drive a Viper.

Thanks
Doug

thanks for those comments, Doug.
i was just curious. i think the stock configuration in this car has more than i could ever use, so i will enjoy this for a long time.
Paul.

viper wannabe
06-01-2019, 09:58 PM
Congrats Paul.

Try the NJ https://driveviper.com/forums/forums/40-New-Jersey
and
NY/CT Regions https://driveviper.com/forums/forums/41-NY-CT

great - i'll definitely plug into the Jersey get togethers. I'm in morristown, nj. unfortunately, i'll be out of town for the father's day event.
Paul.

viper wannabe
06-01-2019, 10:12 PM
Congrats Paul.

i need to re-register as a new member for name change, correct?

Fatman2006
06-02-2019, 04:06 AM

Or leave it, because now it's ironic and funny.

FIVESTAR
06-08-2019, 01:16 AM
beautiful car. My car makes that noise too, and don’t let anyone tell you it’s normal, because a Dodge Omni shouldn’t make a noise in reverse- much less Dodge’s flagship car. I haven’t diagnosed the issue yet, as my car has other things that need addressed first... but I will definitely let you know when I pinpoint the issue. Yes, the factory intake by design should work fairly well- but may be worth your time to follow me on here because I bought my viper primarily to build off of. I will be offering plenty of quality parts. Anything from headers, cat deletes, cat backs, intakes, motor mounts, trans mounts, chassis bracing, belly pans. etc. Stay tuned!

Herrsss
06-10-2019, 10:29 AM

Congrats on your purchase! Now what you need to do is join the Viper OWNERS Association! Please be aware that if a region rents a track they are required to purchase an additional insurance rider the VOA makes available to the regions therefore those events tend to be closed to non-members. There are lots of other benefits to membership . . . especially this fall when registration for NVE4 opens to current members only. Visualize this - a Viper invasion of Miami & The Keys!

SlateEd
06-10-2019, 11:55 AM
Congrats Paul -- beautiful car!

Glad others have had input on the rear diff question.

The NY/CT region hosts its own car control clinic track day at Lime Rock on the infield autocross and skid pad tracks. Don't let the name fool you - it's a wild time and good way to develop more car control with this much rear tire and this much power.

If you've driven NASANE before, you probably know about the NASA Big Bang at Lime Rock (rare unmuffled day there on the full road course). We attend that event and create a little Viper area in the paddock. One of the fastest Viper drivers in the US is our NY/CT competition director and he's around to advise and guide the group.

If you join the NJ region (totally makes sense) you'll be welcome to attend and get member pricing at any of the NY/CT events also.

cheers

white out
06-17-2019, 01:53 PM
Congrats!