PDA

View Full Version : Low tire pressure warning & code "38"

CarolinaViper
02-28-2014, 11:37 AM
Have a 2004 Viper, about a month ago I replaced the run-flats with new Michelin SS. At that time, I also replaced the TPMS (non-OEM at the advice of my local dodge dealer) in the wheels as the were going on 10+ years. For the next couple of drives the flashing light /beeping and low pressure light came on...but went away. Three weeks after the new install the warning light and "Low tire pressure" came on. Air pressure was fine checked it - was 30 PSI in a 4 tires. Increased it to 36 PSI drove it about ten miles but still had the low pressure warning. Decreased the presser to 29 PSI drove it about 50 miles still had the low pressure warning. Took it to the Dodge dealer who hooked it up to the computer which indicated a code of 38 in the TPMS dialogue (with no explanation of what the code was.) He had no idea what code "38" was either.

Any suggestions how how to get rid of the low pressure warning

Any idea what the code "38" is

Someone suggested disconnecting the battery...afraid this will do more harm to other sensors in the car

Thanks in advance.

BillyC
02-28-2014, 11:57 AM
The left rear sensor is bad.
It may be new, but sometimes "new" fails.
BillyC

Garron
02-28-2014, 02:25 PM
The left rear sensor is bad.
It may be new, but sometimes "new" fails.
BillyC

Is the dealer using a factory scan tool?

Did they program the sensors with a magnet?

Steve-Indy
02-28-2014, 02:32 PM
For the future, I would suggest that you stick with OEM sensors specific for Gen III/IV....and get them from Luke at TireRack for about $34.00 per sensor.

CarolinaViper
02-28-2014, 02:53 PM
Thanks to all for the reply...that's a great price from TireRack...local dealership wanted twice as much...and the after-market ones I purchased were $49.00 each.

Getnlwr
02-28-2014, 10:13 PM
Sometimes... stock is best.