PDA

View Full Version : Share your input on value for this viper

SirHiss
04-01-2019, 09:44 AM
I have been quietly shopping since I sold my Orange TA and had basically decided that I was going to wait until the "right" deal/car popped up available before I made the jump. I had narrowed my search down to a stryker painted GTS colors ranking as follows: Green, red, purple, orange(orange may go higher if I could see one in person). In a perfect world, I would find one with the interior and exterior carbon packages, SRT hood, sidewinder wheels, and black interior. The intent was to ship this off for a build right away so I dont really care too much about the miles on the car.

My conundrum is.... There is a stryker red listed from a guy in canada with 14k miles on the body. It has the interior and exterior carbon packages and the sidewinder wheels. It has the gts hood unfortunately and the sepia interior (which I realllllly dont like) Aside from that, the engine was replaced either at 3k miles or 11k (cant recall exactly but regardless the engine is not the original) And I live in Texas so shipping from canada not only could get complicated (i dont know the details as to costs associated with getting it across the border) but expensive as thats quite the distance. Just to ship it back out for a build shortly after.

He has lowered his price to 79k. There's where I need your help. Originally I had told myself If I found the perfect car in the low-mid 80s, I would jump. This one isnt perfect as it has wrong hood and wrong interior. But I told myself I could probably look past those if the deal was right(thinking mid 70s). Now I am second guessing if I am being just too picky. Today I rack my brain on whether the fact the engine isnt original matters or not and if all the extra shipping/importing costs outweight the deal that appears pretty decent on paper. There are some piddly, nit-picky things that annoy me as well, (For example it appears that he drilled holes in the front bumper for a hideous front license plate rather than spending a little money for a mount that wouldnt require holes drilled.)

What do you guys think? Good deal? Worth the compromises? Hold out for the "perfect" car?

Leanmass
04-01-2019, 09:50 AM
It’s tempting to buy a car because it’s cheaper. What difference does 5 grand make when you are spending over $80k? You are going to have regret everytime you look at the gts hood and the sepia interior. Get the right car that fits your budget. You will be happy with your purchase in the end.

Scott_in_fl
04-01-2019, 09:54 AM
^^^ Agreed that you never settle on things like this -- your hobby, your passion, the one thing you look forward to all week long to be able to enjoy. Get exactly what you want or else you will always be re-living the buyer's remorse. Been there, done that.

Bill Pemberton
04-01-2019, 09:55 AM
You are aware there is no warranty coverage in the US with a Canadian Viper , right??

SirHiss
04-01-2019, 09:59 AM
Bill - I had thought of that at one point but now since these are all 2013-2014s, wouldn't warranty be void around this time anyways? If not, thats one more tick in the con box haha!

Bill Pemberton
04-01-2019, 10:03 AM
Motor replaced , so may have the 10 year powertrain attached, but the main key is one should not be able to buy an extended service contract either if all coverage is gone. Usually 13-14 model year is not the concern, it is essentially a Gray Market car so warranty is essentially void , anyway. Same for a Viper sold in the US that goes to Canada --- warranty/service contract abilities go out the window.

vipernm
04-01-2019, 10:36 AM
You are aware there is no warranty coverage in the US with a Canadian Viper , right??

True for original warranty. So does that mean an extended warranty cannot be purchased for a Canadian Viper?

Bill Pemberton
04-01-2019, 10:45 AM
Not supposed to be available , though there have been errors with computer purchases. Key is claims have been denied with Canadian Cars , as the extention is said to be invalid and not legal in the US. Buyer beware and 95% of the Dealers in the US and Canada know that warranties ( hence ext. serv. contracts too) are not eligible for cars sent to other Countries. Don't get into the argument of the car was built in the US, because Federal Law says a Viper coming to the US from Canada is " Gray Market," , just as a Viper from the US going into Canada is " Gray Market. "

vipernm
04-01-2019, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the clarification. Too bad 'cause I think the combo with the Sepia interior is stunning.

Fatboy 18
04-01-2019, 10:47 AM
https://thumbsnap.com/s/BUNsfe4b.jpg

Hamrhead
04-01-2019, 12:23 PM
^^^ Agreed that you never settle on things like this -- your hobby, your passion, the one thing you look forward to all week long to be able to enjoy. Get exactly what you want or else you will always be re-living the buyer's remorse. Been there, done that.

What he said. You'll never be happy with it. Keep shopping for the right car(or at least one closer to what you want).