PDA

View Full Version : Do headers really improve heat numbers?

Thawk97
02-26-2014, 04:38 PM
I've got Belangers installed on my '96 (they were installed before I bought the car). I'm wanting to return to a 100% stock car and I'm curious if there is a definitive conclusion on the heat difference. I'm not concerned about the weight savings or the power loss for whatever that's worth - just curious if there are significant heat impacts (also going from a Borla exhaust back to stock).

01sapphirebob
02-26-2014, 04:58 PM
I dont know if the stock exhaust is hotter them an aftermarket one but what WOULD make a difference is CATS. if you are going from high flow to stock ones then heat will increase for sure.

NI-KA
02-26-2014, 05:18 PM
???????????????????????????????????

SandViper
02-26-2014, 05:38 PM
PM sent

JonB ~ PartsRack
02-26-2014, 05:56 PM
96 RT10 and 96 GTS (you did not say) both had OE cast manifolds. No OE headers, just cast manifolds.

Belanger headers operate tolerably hotter than OE Gen 1-2 manifolds.
Other brand headers (stainless) operate 220f or more hotter than Balangers !

As noted, if you go to OE cats vs HF cats that's a LOT more heat with OE. 150f hotter sills.

Other related info: Many Gen 2 owners chose to forgo the OE heat shields, since Belangers are not that much hotter than stock. On Gen 2 shorty-tube-OE stainless headers (1998-2002) Belangers are probably not much hotter at all, and many left OFF the shields there too....just to show off the beautiful tubes.

(Calif had to hide em!)

Hope this helps

Thawk97
02-26-2014, 06:07 PM
That was extremely helpful - thanks JonB!

It's a 96 GTS - just a bad habit saying header instead of the OE cast manifolds. I still have the OW heat shields though they were removed along with the manifold so you can indeed see the tubes. I hadn't decided if I'd put them back on (part of why I was asking about heat) though have been leaning toward completely original (so yes). I didn't realize OE was cooler. To be honest I don't actually know if the stock cats are in the car or if it has high flows in it - something I'll be finding out when it warms up.

Indy
02-28-2014, 11:44 AM
If you go back to stock cats, the side sills will be A LOT hotter...they are like ovens...over time might even affect the paint on the side sills, not to mention the horrific heat in the car. I would stick with the system you've got right now.

FLATOUT
02-28-2014, 11:55 AM
Are there any accurate heat readings or operating temps for other brand headers (stainless) today with the coatings they are currently using or is that old information? Honestly just wondering as I know some manufacturers are using different coatings these days to reduce heat.

JonB ~ PartsRack
02-28-2014, 12:46 PM
Coatings have a 'heat-reduction' factor, and of course outside coated vs inside+outside coated matters.

And metallurgy matters too: Stainless operates much hotter than cast or mild or aluminized steel. So the same coating applied to different metals matters. The starting threshold is HIGHER for Stainless.

- - - Updated - - -

That was extremely helpful - thanks JonB!

"Music" to my ears......you are welcome.