PDA

View Full Version : ARH High Flow Cats

imzoomintoo
02-09-2019, 04:12 PM
So I had Expel coating on my Gen 5 with the stock setup and everything was fine. I had a heads/cam build done with ARH headers however at the time of the build the builder miss-understood me and went cattless.
I at first startup, when getting it back couldn't take the smell so I inquired if he had put on high flow cats. He explained the misunderstanding and ordered the ARH high flow cats for a Gen 5 and installed them a week or so later. I have never had a problem with the film with the stock setup or for the week or so I had no cats. The day he installed them and did a test drive the expel film warped. Now my detailer and paint guy thinks the cats are going to burn my paint? has anyone experienced this? and do you fell he has a valid point. I should say that the shop wrapped the hi flow cats with muffler wrap to keep the heat down but said the new cats sit in a different place than stock, and just removing the film should be fine.

Exhlr8n
02-09-2019, 06:52 PM
My experience: On my ACR-E I have Suntek on the sills, with the stock cats it didn't take long before they warped. Installer re-wrapped but they still warped. I put on Jon-B's Hi Flow cat setup (not coated or wrapped). The sills are much, much cooler to the touch and haven't warped the Suntek. The Viper's sills get trashed pretty quick, especially with the Kuhmos, or sticky tires. I would not want to drive mine with them being wrapped.

Voice of Reason
02-09-2019, 06:52 PM
I have ARH headers, their high flow cats, into the stock mufflers and have xpel on the sills. Mine have not damaged the xpel at all over almost 20k miles and some of those miles have been road racing where things got hot enough to cook the wires badly for the two front o2 sensors.

Are you sure your builder went with ARH’s high flow cats and not some cheap “high flow” cat that still holds too much heat?

sharmut
02-09-2019, 07:46 PM
My 2014 TA with stock exhaust melted the PPF(Xpel Ultimate and Suntek) twice on the passenger side.
On the 2016 ACR-E with several track days, began to show slight blacking in the same spot. Switch to JonB's cat, the sills runs so much cooler and no longer an issue.

Jack B
02-09-2019, 07:59 PM
Arrow did a series of tests via a dyno on several different cats. The short story is the type of cat can have a dramatic affect (hp) on a HC or 9L G5. They also found the header manufacturers did not always supply the same HF cat, in other words you have to know the actual manufacturer of the cat, not the supplier of the cat.

Either the cat is a problem or possibily some insulation was removed due to the size of the new cat. Not all cats are equal, talk to Scott at Arrow/Prefix he has actual data not merely hearsay. His findings showed that there were a lot of supposed HF cats on our cars that did not work as advertised.

Arizona Vipers
02-09-2019, 09:30 PM
Every Gen 5 I know with a clear bra melts the wrap on the sidepipes, including mine.
The only way to solve it would be to wrap the exhaust with DEI wrap

imzoomintoo
02-09-2019, 10:40 PM
I have ARH headers, their high flow cats, into the stock mufflers and have expel on the sills. Mine have not damaged the Expel at all over almost 20k miles and some of those miles have been road racing where things got hot enough to cook the wires badly for the two front o2 sensors.

Are you sure your builder went with ARH’s high flow cats and not some cheap “high flow” cat that still holds too much heat?

I guess I can't answer that question with absolute knowledge. I did go with a one of the top four shops A&C in California being the closest to my car. The damage seemed to happen right away....I drove it the almost 300 miles back to Las Vegas and things didn't seem to change....I not sure if it was the initial heat build up or he did something wrong? Hate to replace the Expel if its going to happen again, and hate to keep these cats if they're going to cause paint damage!

imzoomintoo
02-09-2019, 10:44 PM
Arrow did a series of tests via a dyno on several different cats. The short story is the type of cat can have a dramatic affect (hp) on a HC or 9L G5. They also found the header manufacturers did not always supply the same HF cat, in other words you have to know the actual manufacturer of the cat, not the supplier of the cat.

Either the cat is a problem or possibly some insulation was removed due to the size of the new cat. Not all cats are equal, talk to Scott at Arrow/Prefix he has actual data not merely hearsay. His findings showed that there were a lot of supposed HF cats on our cars that did not work as advertised.

Thanks...If insulation was removed to accommodate the cats that might explain the heat. I thought hi flow cars were cooler and am pretty sure he went with ARH Cats.

ayousef
02-10-2019, 03:59 AM
I have an ARH full headers and exhaust, with cats. I can tell you that the cats that come with the kit are extremely small for the Viper motor, a proper cat would be several inches larger than the exhaust pipe, and as short as possible to reduce backpressure. I am looking at replacing mine with a proper one, did this happen while street driving however?

Also heatwrapping the cats might not be a good idea and will destroy them in short order, infact the exhaust wrap you have upstream of the cat is causing much more heat to be released later down the exhaust.

cubeman
02-10-2019, 01:19 PM
I have 3m Vinyl from a rally I did and part of it goes over the Cat area. It's warping the vinyl on mine and on some other cars it's turned paint yellow (White and lighter colors). What greatly reduced temps for me was when i melted a cat and just took out the material then wrapped it. I'm ARH all the way down.