PDA

View Full Version : Rattling Sound

Bill W
01-20-2019, 11:48 AM
Any common rattles that come from rear of RT/10 Vipers? I put in a new rear window seal and found that the radio was loose, so I tightened the screw. Everything in the trunk is secure...jack, spare tire, etc. Thinking the battery might be loose in its cradle. Wish I knew.

dave6666
01-20-2019, 12:03 PM
Thinking the battery might be loose in its cradle. Wish I knew.

So you're wanting us to tell you it is or isn't? Are you serious?

You're path forward is quite likely to put the car up in the air and start checking everything. Brakes, shocks, exhaust and the list could go on. But if it's too much effort or beyond your means to even check the battery, you're screwed on ever fixing things.

Fatboy 18
01-20-2019, 12:11 PM
Dave......Another Great post :D

Bill W
01-20-2019, 01:14 PM
Dave......Another Great post :D

Really?

The Stig
01-20-2019, 02:32 PM
wow things never change

Bill W
01-20-2019, 02:38 PM
So you're wanting us to tell you it is or isn't? Are you serious?

You're path forward is quite likely to put the car up in the air and start checking everything. Brakes, shocks, exhaust and the list could go on. But if it's too much effort or beyond your means to even check the battery, you're screwed on ever fixing things.

No Dave, I don't want you to tell me if my battery is loose. I'll be sure to check that myself. As a new Viper owner, I thought there might be something that was common about these hand-built cars that caused a rattling sound. Now I see it could be just about anything. So thanks for your response, even if it did sound like a put-down.

GTS Dean
01-20-2019, 02:54 PM
Dave can be abrasive. But frankly Bill, you're not giving us very many specifics to work with and therefore leaving yourself open. One thing to keep in mind, there's a bunch of accumulated gear lash in the trans and driveline that make a lot of racket at idle and throttle tip-in and -out at light load.

daveg
01-20-2019, 03:23 PM
When do you get the rattle? Over bumps? Just cruising? What side is it coming from or is it coming from the rear center.
What year RT?

Bill W
01-20-2019, 03:36 PM
2002 RT. The rattle is only on bumpy roads and is coming from the rear. Sounds like it’s directly behind me

daveg
01-20-2019, 03:44 PM
I don't own an RT (have a GTS) BUT, check everything in the trunk including battery.. If nothing lose, throw it on a rack and start grabbing, shaking / inspect everything.. I would look at the exhaust first.

Bill W
01-20-2019, 03:53 PM
Will do. Thank you! ��

daveg
01-20-2019, 03:58 PM
One way to so if it "could be" the brakes is to lightly apply them before and during a bump to see if the noise is eliminated.
Good luck!

JimJoeBob
01-20-2019, 04:24 PM
The button on my E-Brake rattles and buzzes sometimes and it drives me insane.

GTS Dean
01-20-2019, 04:59 PM
2002 RT. The rattle is only on bumpy roads and is coming from the rear. Sounds like it’s directly behind me

Could be the stereo amp. Could be a loose, worn brake pad from a stuck brake adjuster. Could be a loose shock bolt or worn suspension bushing.

Fatboy 18
01-20-2019, 05:18 PM
Trunk lid hold up strut come loose?

Rear exit exhaust hanger may be worn?

When did the upper and lower ball joints last get lubed? One may be worn?

Not knowing your actual car, also check inner wheel arches making sure all fasteners are there and nothings flapping around.

is the noise a dull clunking noise or a higher pitched metallic noise, dull clunking more likely to be drivetrain.

Seriously your first post asking for it :newbie::hog:
Welcome to the fun :D

1BADV10
01-21-2019, 05:43 AM
Clean out the empty beer cans from under the seat, if that don't do it then my guess is a broken shock.

uvbnbit
01-21-2019, 06:16 AM
look in the upper part of the trunk. There MAY be a black, small flexible rod that was part of a cockpit cover I think. Check that too.

Desert Venom Racer
01-21-2019, 07:39 AM
All of my RT10 hardtops have rattled in the rear to various degrees. Amazing how much quieter it is with the top off!

Tinman565
01-21-2019, 10:10 AM
You didn't mention if this is with the top on or off.
Mine rattles over bumps with the top on.. and it's the clips/pin locking mechanism on the arch behind your head.
Obviously doesn't do it with the top off.

Lalmeida617
01-22-2019, 04:23 PM
I know the exact sound you are talking about mine does the same thing. With the soft top on or off. I called Tator on this a couple months ago and he said what all these guys are telling us. It could be anything. No closer I know. This spring I will start the search again. But here is something to try. First and most obviously as was pointed out here check the amp. Next shoot some spray silicone on the upper and lower A arm bushings let it soak in and go for a ride let us know how you make out.

Coloviper
01-22-2019, 11:03 PM
Probably sway bar linkages. They wear out and you'd swear it is a loose shock back there.

Cheme1985
01-23-2019, 08:40 AM
+1 on the sway bar linkages. I’ve had rattling on my gen 3 before like you describe and replacing the beat up sway bar end links fixed it.

Fatboy 18
01-23-2019, 10:28 AM
This it ?????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaSeSIZ9Fgw

Bill W
01-23-2019, 12:13 PM
This it ?????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaSeSIZ9Fgw

Haha! Nope! As a state game warden (gamekeeper on your side of the pond, I believe) for over 30 years, I've run into my fair share of timber rattlesnakes. Funny thing is, they actually don't rattle so much as buzz. I'd know for sure if it was one of these venomous pit vipers. LOL