PDA

View Full Version : Viper owner to be

Robertk
01-03-2019, 03:20 PM
Hello all, I am in the market to purchase my first Viper, always wanted one, I am 51, I have a C5 corvette and a Harley street glide so I am looking for weekend cruiser Viper in a Gen 1 or Gen 2, not sure which to purchase and need some feedback, I have a friend strenuously trying to steer me away from 92 and 93, says I should stay Gen 2 but says absolutely not a 92 or 93 and not 100% sure why, I have a budget so it's limiting what I can purchase (want to stay in the $25-$26k range) as I am finding nice Gen 1s in that range and by nice I mean 20-40k miles and really needing little if anything, Gen 2s in that price range are in the 60-70k miles and frankly not sure if that's just too high for a viper, I am looking for something to take out now and again on the weekends, I've put 3k miles on my vette in almost 3 years so much the same as that, would like to find a factory AC equipped car as I am in Az but not absolutely necessary, so any advice in the Gen 1 and Gen 2 would be greatly appreciated... reliability is important and frankly more important than performance, I will not be racing it nor driving it to its limits/ abilities on the road

daveg
01-03-2019, 03:34 PM
25 - 26k is not a lot to spend. I would love to own a 92 but doubt very much you will find one unless its salvage title. I would say find the best Gen 2 for that price.. Just as an FYI, what you find for that price range you may have to dump money into it to make it nice.. So in the end you might want to spend more up front..
Just my 2 pennies!

capevettes
01-03-2019, 05:58 PM
I agree with Dave. Spend a little more and get an unmolested Gen 2. Whatever you buy at your projected budget is likely to cost you a lot more after you buy it.

Robertk
01-03-2019, 07:52 PM
Thanks guys... again new to Vipers, in my area (Az-southern Cal) there appears to be quite a few Gen 1s and mostly 93 in that $25k range all between 20-40k miles and for the most part all look very nice and described as very nice, I also see lots of Gen 1s in that range on ebay and not selling at all... a few 30k mile Gen 1s for 25k that are on their 3 run on ebay so that's why I picked that price... I know with a Gen 2 in that range is higher miles and again what is high miles on a Viper, I have a C5 vette with 79k and it's like a brand new car, runs and drives perfect, no leaks etc. When looking at a Gen 1s and 2s is there a big difference as an owner, is a 65k mile Gen 2 better than a 30k mile Gen 1.... is there problems with the 93 and what would be considered high miles as a non collector Viper both Gen 1 and 2

Robertk
01-03-2019, 07:53 PM
And 92 in not an option for me as most parts are correct to 92 only so I'm talking 93 and up

thetalonguy
01-03-2019, 08:52 PM
I guess the question would be, what do you really want? Just a Viper because it’s a Viper, or you really want an RT/10 or GTS?

Are you looking to keep and enjoy for a long time? Or could it be a short love affair?

There’s no reason to stay away from high mileage, a 20k mile car can be in worse condition than an 80k.

If you’re going to spend that much on a toy, you should get what you want.

Agreed, if you could even extend your budget at least $5k, then you may be looking at better options.

Let’s start with, what do you like better, RT/10 or GTS? We’re here to help pick apart any potential for sale classifieds you find.

LifeIsGood
01-03-2019, 09:20 PM
I'd also steer you towards a GEN II. It has some nice upgrades from the GEN I. You can probably buy a GEN II with a salvage title close to your price range. A salvage title isn't always bad. My neighbor just bought a '98 RT/10 in that price range. That viper was taken care of by our local Viper Tech who gave it his seal of approval.

99RT10
01-03-2019, 09:25 PM
If you can swing $30K, you will be happier with a Gen 2. Might be able to find a high mile or salvaged title Gen 2 for that. Better suspension, brakes and real windows.

RedTanRT/10
01-03-2019, 10:00 PM
Robert, not sure why your buddy says no to a '92 or '93? '92's go for strong $$ and as you wrote have some unique parts, (that are harder/expensive to find). '94's have the largest number, 3k made, and lots' of nice ones can be bought in the mid-$20's.

There's a '93 one Craig's List in Gilbert looks like a nice car and a decent price. don't know if it has A/C as back then it was dealer installed.

A G2 is a better car (more HP, real windows, etc). Look at the on in Lake Havasu on Craig's List. 71k miles but only asking $29k and I'll bet you can get it lower than that.

I've had my '94 since '96, fun car but definitely old school and old tech.

Being in Phoenix you have one of the best Viper Tech's in the US, Eddie Martin. I think he's over at Airpark CDJR in Scottsdale. AZ club has a bunch of owners who can help you too.

good luck, Mike

Robertk
01-04-2019, 06:08 AM
Thanks for the reply... and sorry I should have stated that I am definitely looking for a RT/10... and the reason is a bit of all, always wanted a Viper, want something to get in and drive on weekends from time to time, I have been in the Automotive industry my whole life, I teach classes and seminars in the automotive collision industry for almost 20 years with BASF and and independent Co and have built and owned dozens of muscle cars, cobras etc, stopped building cars about 7 years ago, got married, have a C5 Vette and a Harley also for weekends, I want something I can drive that hasn't been modified (within reason) would like it to hold some value but most of all I don't want a problem prone car and not certain what vipers would be a problem prone car, I am not afraid of high miles with the right car but more concerned about 10 years down the road if the car will have any worth at all. Thanks again

Robertk
01-04-2019, 06:09 AM
I am financing some of the car so couldn't buy salvage so looks like in the Gen 2 in my budget is more in the 60-70k mile range

Robertk
01-04-2019, 06:23 AM
Thanks all for the replies... not sure how to reply individually... I am not sure why my buddy says no 92/93 either he is a viper guy but frankly unclear as to why... as for Gen 1 vs Gen 2 I think I would prefer Gen 2 but there are things I like about Gen 1 as well being they are the original, love the side pipe exhaust too so open to both, I am a life long car guy, starting as a painter in a collision center when I was young, went to work for BASF at 24 and been teaching classes and seminars in the collision industry almost 30 years and restored muscle cars for years as well so not afraid to work on a car but want the best Viper my money can buy and don't know what to stay away from for my purpose of a driver, I have a wife and with a vette and Harley in the garage my budget is a bit non-negotiable and there are vipers in that range... 30k mile Gen 1s or 60-70k mile Gen 2s, I did look at the 93 in Gilbert, it was nice, battery was dead so couldn't hear it, a few cracks in the fiberglass but not too bad... biggest reason for not purchasing is non AC car and weather I use it or not I really want an AC car, I have found 2 Gen 2s (2000) both right at 70k miles black on black paint is faded and grey on cognac needs nothing, can get the black needing paint low $20s and grey for about $25k and both are two owner cars and appear well maintained... is a 70k mile Gen 2 (maintained) better than a 30k Gen 1, found a black 95 with 30k for $25k as well and there are a few others similar to that one

Robertk
01-04-2019, 06:27 AM
And I am looking at the one in Havasu this weekend.... emailed with him yesterday and appears to be a good car so far

daveg
01-04-2019, 07:00 AM
If AC is important, go Gen II RT/10 as you will be dealing with the Windows etc in a Gen I RT/10

FrankBarba
01-04-2019, 07:06 AM
Just my opinion. If you have to finance a vehicle that is 20+ years old are you sure you want to go into
debt?

Bill W
01-04-2019, 07:14 AM
Gen ll Vipers have a number of upgrades over a Gen l. Stiffer frame, better suspension, more hp/tq, windows and door handles, air bags. 2001 and 2002 have ABS too. To each his own, but if I were in your place I'd sell one of my other toys and get the best Gen ll I could buy. I had $40k into my Harley CVO Breakout. Sold it and bought a near flawless 2002 RT/10. No regrets.

Robertk
01-04-2019, 07:15 AM
Just my opinion. If you have to finance a vehicle that is 20+ years old are you sure you want to go into
debt?

not sure I understand that question, I have a mortgage... I am in debt, if we didn't go into debt banks wouldn't exist, I make good money, just paid off the Vette, recent increase in income, excellent credit so if there is an answer to that question.... yes

Robertk
01-04-2019, 07:26 AM
Gen ll Vipers have a number of upgrades over a Gen l. Stiffer frame, better suspension, more hp/tq, windows and door handles, air bags. 2001 and 2002 have ABS too. To each his own, but if I were in your place I'd sell one of my other toys and get the best Gen ll I could buy. I had $40k into my Harley CVO Breakout. Sold it and bought a near flawless 2002 RT/10. No regrets.

thank you... the original plan was to sell the Vette and buy a Viper which made my budget much more flexible... my wife decided she wanted to keep the Vette and we gave her car to our grandson, happy wife happy life (at least that's what she tells me) and getting rid of the Harley is not an option, its part of our life, I am not looking for the ultimate collector garage queen viper, just a nice driver, I don't do anything without hours-days-weeks of research and info from others, I know my budget limits what I will get and I'm fine with that, I cant imagine all the $25k vipers out there are junk or bad investments etc, my biggest question was about Gen 1 vs Gen 2, whats considered high miles and the better car for a nice weekend driver, which if any are problematic and what should I be looking out for... appears the consensus is to stay in the Gen 2 cars which is where I will concentrate assuming I would be better off with a 60-70k mile Gen 2 over a 30k mile Gen 1... I understand about abused cars or accident cars, I will know what to look for and research as far as that goes but every year car has its issues and I am unaware of that when it comes to Vipers... again thanks to all

Robertk
01-04-2019, 07:30 AM
thanks to all who replied, glad I joined the site... think I have enough to move forward (but still open to advise) and will keep posted with my purchase

Robertk
01-04-2019, 07:37 AM
one last addition... I have heard about Gen 1 head gaskets needing to be replaced almost a must, over heating on early cars, difficult to drive on Gen 1 cars, ac is worthless in Gen 1 cars, Gen 2 cars much better technology, hard to find tires on some years etc.... this is what I'm looking for as well, more the cars to stay away from or is all this talk just a little inflated, frankly I can deal with cosmetics but want to stay away from the big issues that may exist on certain years and Gens

Bill Pemberton
01-04-2019, 07:49 AM
Keep in mind, even with good Credit , your choices on where to finance will be limited ( many Banks will not go back that far regardless) and the term will likely be quite short. Rates will also be higher and you also may still run into a situation where even with that they may require a substantial down payment. Lastly , don't be surprised that even after paying for what appears to be a clean , well kept car, that you don't have 5-8K worth of fixes to address over the coming years. We often forget we are talking about a hand built 20+ year old car in many cases and some parts are almost unobtainium. Hence, looking for a Gen II, or surprisingly a Gen III ( may be more money , but the Bank/Credit Union rates could be lower and the term longer) may actually cost you less overall. Not trying to be a downer, just making some suggestions that many overlook and then are frustrated after their initial excitement of the purchase. You have Eddie Martin nearby in Scottsdale , and he is one of the best Viper Techs in the US, utilize him if the vehicle you are looking at is close by.

Ross L
01-04-2019, 07:56 AM
Gen 1 here. Still on factory head gaskets( at least looks like it), Ac blows nice and cold, Gen 3 wheels/tires( easy to find), handles great, never overheats.. I drove mine 2000+ miles to get it home. Oh, its got side pipes ;) Good luck with your choice. I wanted a stripped down version of the original cobra. I didn't want air bags, anti lock brakes, door handles, windows, etc. I got exactly the car I wanted and couldn't be happier. Oh, I did develop a crossover/thermostat leak once I got it home. Cut my own gaskets and replaced them myself.

Robertk
01-04-2019, 08:52 AM
Thank you, got all that handled first, have a great relationship with my credit union, 100% value plus, 4.9% at 72 months is quite good

- - - Updated - - -

Love hearing that... thanks so much

Bill Pemberton
01-04-2019, 09:17 AM
Fantastic , do keep in mind that will likely be 100% value they ascertain, not necessarily what you find or decide to pay.

No offense to Ross , but we have sold over 2200 new and used Vipers, serviced at least that many , and issues with Gen 1s often run quite expensive , and many folks are not aware of the problems. Good example is paint bubbling on the side sills , which is not a paint issue but electrolysis from two different metals that do not get along. Have seen folks press on the area and have their hand go through it -- the aluminum has deteriorated. It is now super difficult to find a sidesill , though Jon B would be a source. Just letting you know to do what I have recommended to folks for years , get the car on a lift and get an experienced Tech to look it over.

RedTanRT/10
01-04-2019, 10:30 AM
Robert, Bill P makes some excellent points about costs and maintenance. These cars aren't 3-5 year old car anymore. I can tell you there are many parts only available used or for big $$'s. Unless replaced in the last 5 years, all G1's need new end links and other suspension bits. Rears are aftermarket only at $300/pair. You will run into similar areas throughout the car.

Like Bill also said, the side sill bubbling is an issue, and its when not if. You have to get them repaired early. Used sills are really expensive.

If you get a Gen 1 you need to budget $3-5k for stuff you can't see yourself unless the seller gives you ton's of receipts showing replacement. Also, 17" rear tires are near extinction, plan on upgrading to 18" wheels so you can find some tires choices, or the 18/19" combo where there is lots of tire choices.

FrankBarba
01-04-2019, 10:55 AM
I am financing some of the car so couldn't buy salvage so looks like in the Gen 2 in my budget is more in the 60-70k mile range

I'm pretty sure that this is what you wrote. You might have a great relationship with your Credit Union, they have rules they follow. I hope for
you that you can get a 30K loan for a 20+ year old car. Nothing like a Viper..Please forward your bankers name an address I'd like to purchase
some land...

Robertk
01-04-2019, 10:59 AM
Again thanks all for the replies and great info, aware of some of these things and again I'm fine with cosmetics but some of this other stuff is important and good to know, have 3 I'm looking at this weekend
*2000 black on black w/69k miles, 2nd owner, we'll maintained, faded paint but otherwise nice at about $23k
*2000 grey on cognac with 70k miles but in very nice shape, 2nd owner well maintained needs nothing for about $25k
*1995 black on black/grey 2 owner with 31k miles and needs a soft top for $25k

I have a friend here in town (viper Chris) that at one time was very involved in vipers and parts and has lots of parts still available including the Gen 1 soft top... I also plan on side pipe exhaust if I do get a Gen w at some point down the road

Robertk
01-04-2019, 11:05 AM
Again not sure all the concern out there with my financing but again, I've had 3 vehicle with my credit union, I am full approved for 100% value plus expenses however I am putting cash down so only financing in the $20k range, I have a 4.9 fixed rate at 72 months same as I had on my vette and have on my Harley, they will do this on any 1st or 2nd gen... they told me to go fund my car... my financing is not in my questions

Robertk
01-04-2019, 11:07 AM
Sorry "find" not "fund"

Desert Venom Racer
01-04-2019, 12:12 PM
Robert, fortunately for you, Arizona is a great place to purchase and own a Viper. There are literally hundreds of great Vipers and very experienced Arizona Viper owners to network with. I recommend that you be patient and do more research on both this site and the www.viperclub.org site. Your question regarding GEN 1 vs GEN 2 is a frequently asked question and answered in great detail on both web sites. You absolutely want to network with Eddie Martin who has been a certified Viper technician in Arizona for over 20 years. He is the VP of the Arizona region VOA, works at Tempe Chrysler Jeep Dodge, and has seen and or worked on virtually every Gen 1 and Gen 2 Viper in Arizona. PM me for his contact information if you so desire. Take your time and find a cream puff. They are out there. In Arizona, I've owned 6 different Gen 2 Vipers since 1996. My 2 cents follows, and it is 100% Arizona based. (1) Go with a GEN 2 car from Arizona; you will like the condition of the frame; better performance than Gen 1, and far superior suspension geometry and handling; also no sales tax on private party sales (2) the engines are nearly bullet proof unless terribly abused, no nitrous, no internal engine modifications, and have oil/oil filter changed and air filters serviced religiously. (3) Stay in the 20-30,000 mile range for best value. (4) no salvage titles (5) no accident history (6) Budget not less than $3,000 for new tires, fluid changes, parts replacement and professional inspection. (7) Join the VOA and stay connected. (6) Negotiate the hell out of price; there is a huge spread between the bid and ask prices on old Vipers. If you need any help, I am in Tucson but I strongly recommend you confer with Eddie Martin. There is absolutely no reason to buy junk. You would be shocked at the difference in condition between a well-cared for Viper and the opposite extreme. I think you are $10,000 under-budget for the car you really want. Don't compromise. BTW, I'm an old Corvette guy too.

FrankBarba
01-04-2019, 12:59 PM
RobertK Private message me with your credit unions information and your contact

Ross L
01-04-2019, 01:32 PM
What are the Gen 2 rocker covers constructed of? ASSumed they were aluminum as well...Fiberglass?

RedTanRT/10
01-04-2019, 01:48 PM
What are the Gen 2 rocker covers constructed of? ASSumed they were aluminum as well...Fiberglass?

Every Generation Viper uses aluminum sills

Ross L
01-04-2019, 02:20 PM
Thanks. So is the electrolysis issue not a problem on the Gen 2's? It seems like the rocker issue is being primarily directed at Gen 1's in this thread. Any 20+ year old car could/will have some issues, right. Whether its suspension pieces, needed maintenance, increasingly hard to find items, etc. The Viper, IMO is a fairly easy to work on car but yes, finding some parts could be a challenge(not impossible) and be more $$ than say a foxbody mustang. Most of the things you would look at during an inspection of any older car still applies with the Viper. Having a consistent service history would be a great advantage as well. Buy one that hopefully has new tires already. Then go through and service it yourself:) Some good advice on this forum!( probably not from me though, lol). I agree on buying as nice as you can afford. Good luck!

Robertk
01-04-2019, 03:10 PM
I am not sure how to private message, let me know how to but my credit union is Hughes Federal Credit Union out of Tucson, this will be my fourth vehicle through them, they have been fantastic

Robertk
01-04-2019, 03:12 PM
These are fiberglass and will need heat shields in the inside but a friend of mine used to make them as well as other Viper parts and still has some

Robertk
01-04-2019, 03:20 PM
Thanks so much for this info, I am aware of Eddie, I have a good friend I've know for years who used to deal in Viper parts (viper Chris) in Mesa, has a few vipers, he used to manufacture cobra and Pantera kit cars and has been a big help saying pretty much what your saying and he knows Eddie well, I will probably be a bit higher miles in a Gen 2 but feel I have found 2 well maintained 2 owner cars, I did find a 95 with 31k I am going to look at but as my first Viper if I go Gen 2 will probably be a bit hight miles, I have been around cars enough to know what to look for and red flags, also I tried to join the viper club but you need to own a viper to join so I will once I have one... thanks again for the great info

Robertk
01-04-2019, 03:24 PM
Thanks so much... and I've been warned about the tires so not looking at anything that needs them unless it's a negotiating point, thanks again

Robertk
01-05-2019, 04:06 AM
RobertK Private message me with your credit unions information and your contact
It's Hughes Federal Credit Union in Tucson
Their rates might have gone up Jan 1 but I applied in late Dec at 4.9 and have that for 90 days

ACRSNK
01-05-2019, 09:43 AM
Go for the Gen II for reasons stated above if you can find a nice one. Steel Gray is a one year only car (2000) and the cognac interior on a Steel Gray car is very classy. Best of luck.....and if someone is willing to part with a 92 for your budget, don’t think twice about jumping on it, blown head gaskets and all.

Robertk
01-07-2019, 01:58 PM
Thanks again all... got it narrowed down to a 1995 black with 31k miles very nice original at $25k... 2000 black with 69k miles and some fade on the paint in a few areas for $23k one owner.... and a 2000 grey with 42k miles nice condition for $27k but he's being a bit flakey... will be looking at them this week and making a decision, again thanks all

ACRSNK
01-07-2019, 04:47 PM
Thanks again all... got it narrowed down to a 1995 black with 31k miles very nice original at $25k... 2000 black with 69k miles and some fade on the paint in a few areas for $23k one owner.... and a 2000 grey with 42k miles nice condition for $27k but he's being a bit flakey... will be looking at them this week and making a decision, again thanks all

If those are your final candidates you would be crazy not to go with the 2000 Steel Gray Gen II for $27K. If that car checks out and has a clean title, that is a no brainer. Best of luck and keep us posted.

Robertk
01-07-2019, 05:07 PM
Definitely the one I'm trying for first... thanks

Robertk
01-08-2019, 08:23 PM
Ok... hope this isn't too deep to get replies, its now down to 2 at the moment (or should I wait) the 2000 grey with 42k is out, the guy is a flake and has a breathalyzer devise on the car for another 60 days and wont return emails... not a square guy at all so... Thursday I am looking at 1995 w/ 31k miles, black on grey with AC, nice clean car, second is a 2000 black on black factory rear spoiler w/69k miles, basically a 1 owner car, clean car but faded in some areas, victim of too much buffing however I am in the industry and could put a show quality Glasurit paint job on this car in about 4-5 days and pretty much no charge... otherwise it needs nothing (I will probably add side exhaust) so my question is a 69k mile Gen 2 better than a 31k mile Gen 1.... what makes me make this decision ???

FrankBarba
01-09-2019, 06:37 AM
No matter what anyone says when it comes down to it you are the only one that can make that decision. You can get opinions
but that is all it is. Do you due diligence. if you feel uncomfortable get a PPI done on each Viper. Are these Vipers close to you or
are they in a different state? You can find someone to do a PPI, you will have to pay for this service but if it makes your
decision easier the PPI paid for itself. Good Luck in your search.

Robertk
01-09-2019, 10:05 AM
No matter what anyone says when it comes down to it you are the only one that can make that decision. You can get opinions
but that is all it is. Do you due diligence. if you feel uncomfortable get a PPI done on each Viper. Are these Vipers close to you or
are they in a different state? You can find someone to do a PPI, you will have to pay for this service but if it makes your
decision easier the PPI paid for itself. Good Luck in your search.
Thank you... I'm not so worried about the quality/condition of the individual vehicles, been in the collision/automotive industry my whole life and will be ok inspecting the vehicles it's more about the specific years (95 vs 2000) values in the future, driveablity as a weekend driver, problematic etc etc, 1995 is $25k and 2000 is $23k I like the idea of Gen 1 as it's the original viper and the lower miles and feel it might be a little more collectable in the future... and the 2000 for the extra comforts and upgraded technology

Bill Pemberton
01-09-2019, 10:22 AM
Robert,

I believe I know who has the Black RT-10 and it should be a decent vehicle, but like all cars this old there will be issues. Just commenting on this as folks are telling you no issues and with the zillions of Vipers we saw over the years, there were always concerns when they got this old. As Frank mentioned, buy what you like , but getting a Gen 1 as you think it will have better resale value , is not a solid reason in my professional opinion. Gen 1s have for over 15 years languished with little movement compared to Gen IIs and others. Even a 1992 ( until very recently ) did not bring good money , as they and 93s Snakes almost exactly mimic the 53-54 Vettes ( valueless till 10-15 years ago and then they exploded as folks needed one to complete their Vette collection).

To answer one other question brought up about side sills, there were still some problems with early 96-97 Gen IIs , though much rarer and not as common, but we did have some with similar problems so we always checked when they were traded for.

You have Eddie Martin over at the Scottsdale Dodge Store , get to know him and have him check a car out for you!

Robertk
01-09-2019, 10:41 AM
Robert,

I believe I know who has the Black RT-10 and it should be a decent vehicle, but like all cars this old there will be issues. Just commenting on this as folks are telling you no issues and with the zillions of Vipers we saw over the years, there were always concerns when they got this old. As Frank mentioned, buy what you like , but getting a Gen 1 as you think it will have better resale value , is not a solid reason in my professional opinion. Gen 1s have for over 15 years languished with little movement compared to Gen IIs and others. Even a 1992 ( until very recently ) did not bring good money , as they and 93s Snakes almost exactly mimic the 53-54 Vettes ( valueless till 10-15 years ago and then they exploded as folks needed one to complete their Vette collection).

To answer one other question brought up about side sills, there were still some problems with early 96-97 Gen IIs , though much rarer and not as common, but we did have some with similar problems so we always checked when they were traded for.

You have Eddie Martin over at the Scottsdale Dodge Store , get to know him and have him check a car out for you!
Thank you... I am leaning towards the Gen 2 car anyway... my biggest concern and I should have been more specific was the mileage... all things equal if the miles weren't such a big difference between the two this would be a no brainer, I wouldn't hesitate to by a 2000 vehicle with 69k just don't know in a viper as frankly I don't see many with this mileage and not sure 69k is too high on a viper, I believe the car to be well maintained but don't want a rebuild in a few years either... thanks again

daveg
01-09-2019, 03:38 PM
69k would not bother me providing it was maintained and cared for.
As far as resale, your seeing first hand what the resale value is on a car with that many miles. Resale should be the last thing you worry about.
Buy as good of a car that you can in that price range and drive / enjoy it.

Robertk
01-09-2019, 03:47 PM
69k would not bother me providing it was maintained and cared for.
As far as resale, you see first hand what the resale value is on a car with that many miles. Resale should be the last thing you worry about.
Buy a good of a car that you can in that price range and drive / enjoy it.
That's the advice I needed right there, I feel comfortable with the maintenance as he purchased the car when it was a year old off a Dodge dealership floor and has all records, fresh AC rebuild and very nice interior, good tires etc... just some faded paint areas and that doesn't bother me as I will paint it and the price reflects that at $23k... thanks again, gonna see it tomorrow

daveg
01-09-2019, 03:58 PM
That's the advice I needed right there, I feel comfortable with the maintenance as he purchased the car when it was a year old off a Dodge dealership floor and has all records, fresh AC rebuild and very nice interior, good tires etc... just some faded paint areas and that doesn't bother me as I will paint it and the price reflects that at $23k... thanks again, gonna see it tomorrow Personally, I would go with a Gen II (providing both cars are equal) as I think it will be a better / more desirable car IF you were going to resell it. but, we are not worried about that are we....

Robertk
01-09-2019, 10:39 PM
Personally, I would go with a Gen II (providing both cars are equal) as I think it will be a better / more desirable car IF you were going to resell it. but, we are not worried about that are we....

No we are not ;-)

ACRSNK
01-10-2019, 09:02 AM
I say go for the Gen II even though the miles are a bit higher, you will benefit from the increased reliability, horsepower and refinement. The fact that it has the miles that it does makes me think that it should be a pretty good one and has at least been exercised regularly. Keep us posted.

Robertk
01-10-2019, 09:42 PM
Ok update and again thanks all for the advice along the way, the 2000 (gen 2) frankly was junk, paint was cracked deep all over, road like garbage, loose, rattles all over, shakey, engine bay was smoking when we got back from a ride but frankly after one minute in the car knew it had been road hard and not kept up... on the other hand the 95 was very nice, paint was nice all round excluding a small burn spot on rear of drivers door, interior very nice, engine bay very clean, runs and drives fantastic, tight with no rattles at all, car feels like it's been taken care of, upgraded cd/stereo and speakers, 31k miles... problem is tires have some age cracking but he will sell for $23k, I know it's not a Gen 2 but I think I'm gonna pull the trigger, searching for tires now or better yet Gen 2 wheel package if I can find, feel good about this car and started with a Gen 1 search, I feel it will make a great car for weekend rides now and again

acellr8
01-11-2019, 07:18 AM
$23k for a clean 95 is a great price. I love my 95 and though I am in the minority prefer it over the GTS. Only down side is trying to find tires for the stock 17" wheels. As far as I know none are readily available, I know if you are patient and wait I believe Michelin manufactures a run of Pilot Sport 2 tires once a year.

Good luck with the Gen I and if you have any specific questions about the 95 feel free to email me at elrist@xo.com

daveg
01-11-2019, 09:58 AM
Tires in Stock

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?tireIndex=0&autoMake=Dodge&autoYear=1995&autoModel=Viper+RT%2F10&autoModClar=&frontWidth=275%2F&frontRatio=40&frontDiameter=17&frontSortCode=50750&rearWidth=335%2F&rearRatio=35&rearDiameter=17&rearSortCode=51400

ACRSNK
01-11-2019, 10:34 AM
Ok update and again thanks all for the advice along the way, the 2000 (gen 2) frankly was junk, paint was cracked deep all over, road like garbage, loose, rattles all over, shakey, engine bay was smoking when we got back from a ride but frankly after one minute in the car knew it had been road hard and not kept up... on the other hand the 95 was very nice, paint was nice all round excluding a small burn spot on rear of drivers door, interior very nice, engine bay very clean, runs and drives fantastic, tight with no rattles at all, car feels like it's been taken care of, upgraded cd/stereo and speakers, 31k miles... problem is tires have some age cracking but he will sell for $23k, I know it's not a Gen 2 but I think I'm gonna pull the trigger, searching for tires now or better yet Gen 2 wheel package if I can find, feel good about this car and started with a Gen 1 search, I feel it will make a great car for weekend rides now and again

At least you won't have to add side pipes. That's a great price for a 95 Gen I in the condition you describe. By the time you get new tires on the car, you will be much closer to $25K, but still a pretty good price.

Robertk
01-12-2019, 09:56 AM
Thanks again to all the advice, made the deal on the 95 at $23k, now on a wheel hunt, either 96-98 17" or 99-02 18"... like them both, might like the look of the 17" a touch better and probably a better ride but easier to get tires for the 18"... will I have any problems with either on the 95... there is a few sets of each on ebay

Robertk
01-12-2019, 10:01 AM
$23k for a clean 95 is a great price. I love my 95 and though I am in the minority prefer it over the GTS. Only down side is trying to find tires for the stock 17" wheels. As far as I know none are readily available, I know if you are patient and wait I believe Michelin manufactures a run of Pilot Sport 2 tires once a year.

Good luck with the Gen I and if you have any specific questions about the 95 feel free to email me at elrist@xo.com
Thanks so much and agree I might be in the minority group as well, I originally wanted a Gen 1 for the side pipes but also like the rawness of it, know it's little more primitive but I kinda like that... and have nice airtight, cold ac, comfortable vehicles so looking forward to having this Gen 1 though the wheels gotta go, thanks again

Ross L
01-12-2019, 11:08 AM
Congrats on the purchase! I like the 95 3-spoke wheels much better than the Gen 2 5-spoke 17's. IMO cant beat the staggered look of 18's/19's like off a gen 3/4. Nothing better than a Gen 1 with the top off(of course) on a nice day. Might consider a cat delete asap( to drastically reduce rocker cover heat) You can do it for less than $20 if you do the work yourself ;)

Robertk
01-12-2019, 01:02 PM
Congrats on the purchase! I like the 95 3-spoke wheels much better than the Gen 2 5-spoke 17's. IMO cant beat the staggered look of 18's/19's like off a gen 3/4. Nothing better than a Gen 1 with the top off(of course) on a nice day. Might consider a cat delete asap( to drastically reduce rocker cover heat) You can do it for less than $20 if you do the work yourself ;)
I'm looking forward to it... I actually drove 1 viper years ago (97 GTS) for about 3-4 miles and that's it but I've owned allot of muscle cars and a few cobras (kit cars) I haven't even driven this one yet, let the salesman take me out and very impressed with the drive, I know they are torquey but I was quite surprised how tight and solid the drive was, very stiff but very tight and liked it, got some wheels lined up and maybe the 3 spoke will grow on me, they are in great shape but chrome, might like them better if they were silver

FrankBarba
01-12-2019, 03:11 PM
If you are looking for OEM Wheels I might have a set. I know I have 2 sets of OEM Tires for Shows...

Robertk
01-12-2019, 07:08 PM
If you are looking for OEM Wheels I might have a set. I know I have 2 sets of OEM Tires for Shows...
Absolutely... let me know what you have, I've been talking with two people on ebay and frankly I don't know if I like the 96-98 17's or the 99-02 18's better but gonna absolutely buy something and haven't purchased a set yet

ACRSNK
01-13-2019, 03:49 AM
Best looking wheels for a 95 are the 96-98 wheels if you ask me. You can get a set fairly cheap and they will transform the look of the car.

Robertk
01-13-2019, 08:01 AM
Best looking wheels for a 95 are the 96-98 wheels if you ask me. You can get a set fairly cheap and they will transform the look of the car.

I agree... I have a line on a good deal for the 18s but holding off for the moment for the right deal on the 96-98 17s, travel for business this week so don't actually pick the car up till week after (its 5 hours away) so have a little time to find the right wheels, they are out there

Robertk
01-13-2019, 01:36 PM
Question for anyone... I have an opportunity to get a complete set of Gen 4 5 spoke SRT wheels 18" front and 19" rear.... at a great deal... will these go on a Gen 1 without any problems

Robertk
01-13-2019, 03:30 PM
Question for anyone... I have an opportunity to get a complete set of Gen 4 5 spoke SRT wheels 18" front and 19" rear.... at a great deal... will these go on a Gen 1 without any problems

Disregard... I think the rear wheel is gonna be too tall overall for Gen 1

Ross L
01-13-2019, 04:16 PM
Got them on mine. Perfect fit.

Robertk
01-13-2019, 05:45 PM
Got them on mine. Perfect fit.
They are not too tall for the back, do they look good on a Gen 1, I can buy a complete set with Hoosier H20 tires (I know not the best) but he will take $1300 for the package

Ross L
01-13-2019, 05:53 PM

Ross L
01-13-2019, 05:59 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Hope this helps.... plus any excuse to post a pic. Lol

Robertk
01-13-2019, 06:11 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Hope this helps.... plus any excuse to post a pic. Lol

Oh yeah that looks good, what's the rear tire size?

Ross L
01-13-2019, 06:18 PM
I think 345/35/19...may be a 345/30...whatever factory size was on the Gen 4.

RT SERPENT
01-15-2019, 08:58 PM
I love those wheels on the earlier gens!
Very nice!