PDA

View Full Version : New Gen II owner questions

GregM
01-01-2019, 01:48 PM
Recently purchased a 97 GTS coupe and have a few questions.

1. Is there a simple way to connect a battery disconnect under the hood since the battery is not readily accessible?

2. I would like to clean engine and under hood area using a hose and soft brush with soap. Anyone ever done this? Cover electronics? Disconnect battery?

Thx

Steve-Indy
01-01-2019, 02:27 PM
1. No.

2. I would not use a hose. Some do...and, some pay the penalty...such as misfires, shorted connectors, modules. If you do proceed with your hose plan, be sure to use your air compressor to blow the water out from around the spark plugs.

Hopefully, the show and shine guys will offer more suggestions for you.

daveg
01-01-2019, 02:50 PM
When I use the tender I just take the RED + cap off the PDU post and connect + there and connect the - on the negative post under the PDU near the rocker, Don't disconnect the nut on the + PDU post because you could have the stud rotate and ruin your harness. I then access the tender cable from within the gill with the hood closed. I disconnect everything when going for a ride.

GregM
01-01-2019, 02:57 PM
I wish to kill power to the car when not in use. Any suggestions? Battery not accessible.

daveg
01-01-2019, 03:06 PM
I wish to kill power to the car when not in use. Any suggestions? Battery not accessible.Why?

Fatboy 18
01-01-2019, 03:48 PM
I wish to kill power to the car when not in use. Any suggestions? Battery not accessible.

So you are not bothered about PCM Memory, radio losing its programs or alarm?

Do you not have power access to run a Battery Tender?

Steve-Indy
01-01-2019, 04:31 PM
There are some who have installed a cutoff switch in the rear at the battery. I really have not paid attention regarding how they accessed said switch.

My own solution is to use battery tenders...noting solar is an option in some locations.

Switching to a GOOD AGM battery has solved most of these issues for me.

Thankfully, Gen III, IV, and V cars come with a built in solution.

daveg
01-01-2019, 04:53 PM
I can leave my 96 GTS all winter without the battery going dead (without a tender on it) so if the reason for disconnecting is the battery going dead after time, its my opinion there is a draw somewhere. Its usually one of the switches (ie door, hood or back hatch) that leaves the interior door switch lights etc on...

GregM
01-01-2019, 06:03 PM
Battery drainage aside I always kill power to my older collector cars. Ever see a shorted harness go up in smoke? Scary. 21 year old harness is not that old and most of my cars much older. Those harness are dry and brittle. Doesn’t seam like it’s possible on these...

As for the under hood cleaning I didn’t plan on using a power washer. Just mist the water and blow dry with compressed air.

Steve-Indy
01-01-2019, 06:10 PM
And, I know of a switch or two that caused the fire...once while the driver was in the middle of the intersection. There are risks and benefits to all solutions !! To each their own. :)

dave6666
01-01-2019, 06:51 PM
I've been working on these cars for near 20 years now and have never heard of an electrical fire or major chassis wiring meltdown esp while sitting. I also clean the snot out of my engine and engine compartment using foaming degreaser in the can and high pressure hot water. Never had one single problem because of that.

Black Adder
01-02-2019, 11:33 AM
The "lighter" socket on the dash is permentantly live on mine so i just plug the battery tender in there.

ACRSNK
01-02-2019, 06:13 PM
The "lighter" socket on the dash is permentantly live on mine so i just plug the battery tender in there.

This

Gen3CoupeTX
01-03-2019, 08:01 AM
Congrats on the Gen 2 ... My first one was an '01 GTS. Loved that car! I have a battery cut-off switch on my Gen 3. I also have a CTEK tender that connects in the rear. Mine sits for long periods of time, and I prefer to not have power running through the car. I was away on a trip early 2018, and came home to brake lights on. The switch at the pedal was faulty, and was hot as hell when I reached up to disconnect / remove it. The brake lights were obviously hot, even made that section of the car cover toasty. Would it happen again? Likely not, but it happened once. Enjoy your Viper!

pullin-gs
01-03-2019, 05:32 PM
Why?

So battery does not discharge....or risk electrical short when away from home for extended periods??
I've killed 4 batteries in my corvettes in the past (usually because of my own dumb mistakes) by leaving doors open, 3rd-party electronics (sound systems, alarms, dashcams....all of which require "hot" leads to maintain configurations), failed on-board control electronics, etc.
.....however, with the Viper I have adopted using a battery tender at all times. Battery disconnects add more problems than they prevent/solve.

GregM
01-05-2019, 06:41 AM
Does the stud on drivers side frame rail, where you charge or boost battery from, attach directly to the negative side of battery?

AZTVR
01-05-2019, 08:33 AM
Does the stud on drivers side frame rail, where you charge or boost battery from, attach directly to the negative side of battery? No. The cable from the negative post of the battery is connected to a different stud on the frame rail at the rear of the car.

GregM
01-05-2019, 05:51 PM
I also clean the snot out of my engine and engine compartment using foaming degreaser in the can and high pressure hot water. Never had one single problem because of that.

Good to know.. do u disconnect battery? Bag any electronics?

GregM
01-05-2019, 05:55 PM
I have a battery cut-off switch on my Gen 3. I also have a CTEK tender that connects in the rear. Mine sits for long periods of time, and I prefer to not have power running through the car.

Exactly. How/where did u install switch? I don’t want to alter a wiring harness...

Matt Dillon
01-09-2019, 11:59 PM
I've always just went out & started it up & let it run for a few minutes when it's winter here but winter here doesn't last very long in La. Are you not in a position to do this? JW

Fatboy 18
01-10-2019, 04:56 AM
Exactly. How/where did u install switch? I don’t want to alter a wiring harness...

You could use a switch like this https://www.amazon.com/Cllena-Battery-Disconnect-Switch-Vehicles/dp/B01IQRMGFA

You could mount it in the boot or trunk of the car, I would disconnect the NEGITAVE on the battery and then get a new longer cable, you may have to drill a hole in the trunk near the LHS Amplifier.
You would need to remove the LHS Rear wheel and fender liner to gain access.

I would not disconnect the Positive terminal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPI3f3edL9U

Gen3CoupeTX
01-10-2019, 09:16 PM
GregM, I installed my cut-off switch in the trunk area, inside the car ... Wired directly to battery nearby. I didn't need access to it from outside. Just don't lock your keys in the car when shutting the rear, since cutting off the battery locks the doors.