PDA

View Full Version : DSE Transmission Crossmember and Polyurethane Mount Kit

SSGNRDZ_28
12-22-2018, 11:04 PM
Now available, an aluminum crossmember that is 0.7 lbs lighter and stiffer than the OEM steel version and an adapter kit for a polyurethane transmission mount.

Thanks
Doug

stradman
12-23-2018, 08:03 AM
Hi Doug. Great work, as always! Crossmember looks ace!
Can I ask, I presume the OEM mount is rubber? So what is the advantage of going to PU for a transmission ? Also would there be more vibration as well?

ViperGeorge
12-23-2018, 10:28 AM
Doug, You are truly an asset to the Viper Community. I am continually amazed at the number of items you come up with for the Viper and the quality of your pieces is second to none. Well done!

ViperGeorge
12-23-2018, 10:47 AM
You know I just had a thought (it happens from time to time), it may be a stupid question but in what order should we think about adding your improvements for track related stuff? What would be your priority for the Viper. Not all of us can just go and buy everything at one time. It may be a hard question to answer given people's differing objectives. In my case I already have your catch cans (1st thing I did), your airbox heat shield (second thing), reduced height diffuser stakes (3rd thing and done because of the over the road part of One Lap of America), and spark plug wires (4th thing). I'm considering the lithium battery next but maybe I would have been better off doing that before say the wires. Or is the carbon fiber drive shaft, diff cooler, trans mount, or titanium lug nuts more important?

Maybe even providing a summary in a thread here as to what the specific advantages of each product are might help us decide what to buy next. For example you could list the various products with the performance or reliability objectives of each and to what audience of users it is focused on. So maybe something like the heat shield is less important to track guys given the airflow the engine sees at speed. The Diff cooler is intended to improve longevity of the diff in extended track sessions. Wires meant to improve spark, power and reduce misfires. Lithium battery to save weight. Maybe some things are only have cosmetic benefits.

In fact maybe you could come up with packages that include the things that you would recommend. Say the drive shaft, trans mount, and diff cooler. I don't know I'm probably talking out of my a$$.

Arizona Vipers
12-23-2018, 11:10 AM
Count me in! How much lighter is everything combined with the polyurethane mount vs the steel/rubber?

Thanks for all your hard work!

gpbtt
12-23-2018, 11:20 AM
You know I just had a thought (it happens from time to time), it may be a stupid question but in what order should we think about adding your improvements for track related stuff? What would be your priority for the Viper. Not all of us can just go and buy everything at one time. It may be a hard question to answer given people's differing objectives. In my case I already have your catch cans (1st thing I did), your airbox heat shield (second thing), reduced height diffuser stakes (3rd thing and done because of the over the road part of One Lap of America), and spark plug wires (4th thing). I'm considering the lithium battery next but maybe I would have been better off doing that before say the wires. Or is the carbon fiber drive shaft, diff cooler, trans mount, or titanium lug nuts more important?

Maybe even providing a summary in a thread here as to what the specific advantages of each product are might help us decide what to buy next. For example you could list the various products with the performance or reliability objectives of each and to what audience of users it is focused on. So maybe something like the heat shield is less important to track guys given the airflow the engine sees at speed. The Diff cooler is intended to improve longevity of the diff in extended track sessions. Wires meant to improve spark, power and reduce misfires. Lithium battery to save weight. Maybe some things are only have cosmetic benefits.

In fact maybe you could come up with packages that include the things that you would recommend. Say the drive shaft, trans mount, and diff cooler. I don't know I'm probably talking out of my a$$.

I appreciate George doing all this hard research for me......you see I also have my Viper entered in the One Lap......so, Mr. George just tipped his hat......Thank You.....it's going to be the Viper Clash! HA!
It's NEVER to early to start talking trash!!!!
So, Doug......what ever George orders mail one to me!

ViperPete
12-23-2018, 12:16 PM
Wow nice looking piece!!

Arizona Vipers
12-23-2018, 06:27 PM
i appreciate george doing all this hard research for me......you see i also have my viper entered in the one lap......so, mr. George just tipped his hat......thank you.....it's going to be the viper clash! Ha!
It's never to early to start talking trash!!!!
So, doug......what ever george orders mail one to me!

lmao!

SSGNRDZ_28
12-23-2018, 08:01 PM
Hi Doug. Great work, as always! Crossmember looks ace!
Can I ask, I presume the OEM mount is rubber? So what is the advantage of going to PU for a transmission ? Also would there be more vibration as well?

OEM is rubber, these wear out over time and become looser/sag/rot while the poly mount will hold its shape over time. It also has an internal metal lock so if it were to fail they mount will still stay together somewhat vs a complete failure.

Of course a stiffer mount means more vibrations which is a tradeoff and may not be for everyone. A while back there was a Woodhouse mount for the gen IV that had some more significant vibrations, this mount was tried on a Gen IV (direct bolt on) and was described as being in between OEM and the Woodhouse mount, so somewhat more vibrations than OEM but not as stiff as the Woodhouse one.

... Some have solid or stiffer engine mounts which translates more power to the road vs being lost in a rubber mount, they want to stiffen up the transmission mount as well so it isn't taking additional load.

Doug, You are truly an asset to the Viper Community. I am continually amazed at the number of items you come up with for the Viper and the quality of your pieces is second to none. Well done!

Thanks George and thank you for the other post, I'll get to that when I have more time. More products to come very soon!

Count me in! How much lighter is everything combined with the polyurethane mount vs the steel/rubber?

Thanks for all your hard work!

I'll get the assembly on the scale but it is about a wash on the mounts. I do have a design for a upper transmission bracket that saves more weight but is also somewhat expensive so I may not put it into production.

I appreciate George doing all this hard research for me......you see I also have my Viper entered in the One Lap......so, Mr. George just tipped his hat......Thank You.....it's going to be the Viper Clash! HA!

George just ordered one of everything!!!

... kidding, like I said I'll get to this when I have more time and can put some thought into it.

Thanks
Doug

ViperGeorge
12-24-2018, 10:25 AM

Doug, I'll take a dozen of your hydrolator muffler bearings in titanium magnesium alloy with the overdriven gear harmonizer. Send the same to gpbtt. In fact if you only have a dozen in stock send them to him first, he'll need them.

stradman
12-24-2018, 12:10 PM
Doug, I'll take a dozen of your hydrolator muffler bearings in titanium magnesium alloy with the overdriven gear harmonizer. Send the same to gpbtt. In fact if you only have a dozen in stock send them to him first, he'll need them.

:lol2:

ViperGeorge
12-25-2018, 09:56 AM
Doug, Have you ever thought about making some kind of header shield for Belanger and ARH headers? It is something that has kept me from pulling the trigger on a 9L. I don't want to deal with the heat from the headers. My 15 TA 2.0 was starting to melt all kinds of stuff with the Belangers. There is already too much heat in the engine compartment of a Gen 5. I think a well thought out shield of some kind would be a hot seller. Being able to install it with the headers already on the car would be a huge plus.

stradman
12-25-2018, 01:04 PM
Doug, Have you ever thought about making some kind of header shield for Belanger and ARH headers? It is something that has kept me from pulling the trigger on a 9L. I don't want to deal with the heat from the headers. My 15 TA 2.0 was starting to melt all kinds of stuff with the Belangers. There is already too much heat in the engine compartment of a Gen 5. I think a well thought out shield of some kind would be a hot seller. Being able to install it with the headers already on the car would be a huge plus.

George this has helped me a lot after my 9.0l mod.. Did everything from headers to exhaust tip.
http://swaintech.com/race-coatings/.
Significantly lower temps in engine bay....

Arizona Vipers
12-25-2018, 02:01 PM

Have you considered just wrapping the headers? That solves everything, it did for me. Send that heat out your sidepipes instead of your engine compartment

ViperGeorge
12-26-2018, 09:21 AM
George this has helped me a lot after my 9.0l mod.. Did everything from headers to exhaust tip.
http://swaintech.com/race-coatings/.
Significantly lower temps in engine bay....

Have you considered just wrapping the headers? That solves everything, it did for me. Send that heat out your sidepipes instead of your engine compartment

I think both ideas are good if you don't already have headers on your car. There are a great many folks that already have the headers installed and would not want to remove them to wrap or coat. I was thinking more along the lines of something that could be installed with the headers already on the car. If I were to get a 9L I would take some action before having the headers installed but for those with headers already it is a constant battle of keeping up with the heat.

Stradman, what headers are you running? I believe the ARH headers (I believe the preferred ones by Prefix for the 9L) are already coated. Can the Swain coating still be applied to them?

dewilmoth
12-26-2018, 10:20 AM
If/when I do a 9L, I will have the ARH headers plasma coated, then wrapped by Header Shield. Probably overkill, but that should be a permanent OE quality heat management solution.

stradman
12-26-2018, 11:04 AM
I think both ideas are good if you don't already have headers on your car. There are a great many folks that already have the headers installed and would not want to remove them to wrap or coat. I was thinking more along the lines of something that could be installed with the headers already on the car. If I were to get a 9L I would take some action before having the headers installed but for those with headers already it is a constant battle of keeping up with the heat.

Stradman, what headers are you running? I believe the ARH headers (I believe the preferred ones by Prefix for the 9L) are already coated. Can the Swain coating still be applied to them?

Well I'm running Belangers which as you know has some sort of coating on it but it's not Plasma coating like Swain. No problem getting them Swain coated. When/if you get 9L done everything is dismantled anyway so good opportunity to do it then. Whether you use ARH or Belangers not sure there is a great or significant difference. Maybe a handful of horses at most but probably not something you will notice but I'm sure Scot at Prefix would be able to tell you. Although when I told Prefix I had Belangers and asked if I should go to ARH they said no point as it won't make that much diff.

Arizona Vipers
12-27-2018, 11:31 AM
Well I'm running Belangers which as you know has some sort of coating on it but it's not Plasma coating like Swain. No problem getting them Swain coated. When/if you get 9L done everything is dismantled anyway so good opportunity to do it then. Whether you use ARH or Belangers not sure there is a great or significant difference. Maybe a handful of horses at most but probably not something you will notice but I'm sure Scot at Prefix would be able to tell you. Although when I told Prefix I had Belangers and asked if I should go to ARH they said no point as it won't make that much diff.

I burned off the coating on Belanger's after a few sessions

ViperGTS14
08-18-2019, 02:09 PM
curious does this trans mount require a sifter or solid motor mount?

SSGNRDZ_28
08-18-2019, 02:25 PM
No, there are people running them with OEM and Calvo motor mounts. I don’t notice any additional vibration at all with but that could be the carbon fiber driveshaft helping as well.

Doug

ViperGTS14
08-18-2019, 03:01 PM
No, there are people running them with OEM and Calvo motor mounts. I don’t notice any additional vibration at all with but that could be the carbon fiber driveshaft helping as well.

Doug

Right one Doug, just got your heat shield installed this morning. Would like to learn more about this mount. Assuming this will let with less movement for faster racing shifting, yes?

SSGNRDZ_28
08-18-2019, 04:32 PM
Right one Doug, just got your heat shield installed this morning. Would like to learn more about this mount. Assuming this will let with less movement for faster racing shifting, yes?

Yes plus the stock one gets worse over time where this one will remain firm.

Thanks
Doug

gpbtt
08-18-2019, 06:58 PM
I have the Cross member and the Trans Mount. Both are great items well worth it.
The Trans mount is really good compared to the stock one.
You WONT be sorry. Have had mine in for a few months.....

13COBRA
08-19-2019, 12:32 PM

This won't fit the Gen IV, correct?

Simms
08-28-2019, 02:59 PM
Great stuff as usual!

stradman
08-28-2019, 03:20 PM
Yes plus the stock one gets worse over time where this one will remain firm.

Thanks
Doug

A bit like us older drivers I guess Doug!!Good to know this will remain firm....:dancingman: