PDA

View Full Version : Advise Wanted for Collecting 1:18 Scale Viper Models

dbow119
02-23-2014, 11:43 PM
I have a 2003 Viper and I'm trying to collect models of my car. I figured the 1:18 scale would be the best choice as they would probably be the most detailed. I'm new to collecting so other than an unopened box, I really don't know what to look for so your help in that category would be appreciated. I also noticed there are many different makes at different prices. Which brands would you consider to be the most collectible? I noticed Autoart appears to be the most expensive brand...is it worth the additional money? Any advise would be appreciated.

Kurt
02-24-2014, 12:26 AM
For 2003, you have quite a few options. I agree that 1:18 scale is the way to go. AutoArt, while the most expensive, also offers the highest quality for 2003. They made the 2003 SRT-10 in 2 scale (1:18 and 1:43) and 3 colors: red, silver, and black. They are pretty easy to get these days, and are reasonably priced for what you get. They pop up on eBay pretty often at anywhere from $50-75 for 1:18 scale. There is also a "Prototype" version that has the Gen II engine. Those are a little more rare.

Maisto also produced the SRT-10 in the same 3 colors in 1:18 scale, and they are definitely the best bang for your buck. For around $20, you get a nicely detailed model. A great place to start for a new collector. You can also get the Miasto cars in 1:24 scale.

Ertl also produced the SRT-10 in 1:18 scale. They are similar to Maisto in detail (I would give Maisto a slight edge), but they are also reasonably priced at around $20. They offered red, black, yellow, and white in 1:18 scale. And they also offer red, black, yellow, and silver in 1:64 scale (under the Racing Champions brand).

Greenlight has also done several SRT-10s in 1:64, 1:43, and a 1:24 as well.

Welly made a 1:24, which is the least detailed of what's available.

The nicest 1:24 scale SRT-10 you can buy is the one made by Franklin Mint. It's pricey at around $50-$75, but the detail is really nice.

Definitely a lot out there for you to build your collection. Good luck!

LittleCobra
02-24-2014, 11:51 AM
You are absolutely right AutoArt is worth it as no other brand has released something on a similarly good detail level except Franklin Mint like Kurt states.

When you look for a red convertable be careful because it can be distinguished in 2 versions: prototype with a Gen 2 engine and the production spec with truthful Gen 3 engine. As far as price goes you need to look a bit harder these days because AutoArt prices have gone up.

Late Apex
02-24-2014, 12:09 PM
I recently sold my entire collection but found most of them on flea bay, walmart, grocery stores, google search, and going to race events they usually have a trailer/vendor selling many models. Of course Auto Art has the best.

dbow119
02-25-2014, 06:09 AM
Thanks everyone for your responses!

You are absolutely right AutoArt is worth it as no other brand has released something on a similarly good detail level except Franklin Mint like Kurt states.

When you look for a red convertable be careful because it can be distinguished in 2 versions: prototype with a Gen 2 engine and the production spec with truthful Gen 3 engine. As far as price goes you need to look a bit harder these days because AutoArt prices have gone up.

Is there a way to tell on the box which one is the Prototype and which one has the Gen III motor? I'd ideally like to get both.

LittleCobra
02-25-2014, 06:30 AM
Oval exhaust openings without matte black surround = prototype, regular round openings WITH matte black surround = Gen 3.

Prototype

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-18-AutoArt-2003-Dodge-Viper-SRT-10-Black-MIB-Cheap-/160521792173?pt=Diecast_Vehicles&hash=item255fd82aad

Production

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-VIPER-SRT-10-CONVERTIBLE-2003-BLACK-1-18-AUTOART-/221380199850?pt=Diecast_Vehicles&hash=item338b49c5aa

Vprbite
06-14-2014, 02:51 AM
I think maisto is the way to go if you want to collect and not feel bad about playing with them. I keep the models of my cars in my office (the room in my home that I call my office) so I can play with them when I want. I also bought the cover from cal car cover for 1:18 models cause it was the same cover as I had for my GTS when I still had that.

I also bought the High Quality Maisto GTS which came with the correct wheels for a 1997 Viper and then bought the 1:18th Die:Cast Maisto of the 2003 SRT-10 that is the kind you half build. It comes with a little screwdriver and you finish putting it together and two set of wheels. I then carefully cut the wheels off the GTS and cut the wheels and brakes from the 2003 model and carefully glued those brakes and wheels to the Gen II, thereby giving me an exact model of my car. All fun and games with the Maisto because the quality is pretty good, and if I screw it up, I am out 20 bucks and can easily replace it and try again. Now, with a limited edition autoart, I wouldn't be so fast to pull out a craft saw.

For example, when I got my Gen 3, I kept putting off getting the red autoart coupe model because it was 100 dollars and had white stripes and my car is just red so I was in no rush and my plan was to paint it just red and get rid of the stripes when I finally got around to ordering it. Well, a couple of months later, there were no more of the Autoart models to be found (was limited to 6000pcs). I found one and double the price on Ebay UK and then lucked out and found one on Canadian Craigslist from a gentleman who had a couple Viper models he was looking to sell. We worked out a deal and I have a nice autoart 2006 Viper Coupe model, but no way I am going to try and paint it and risk messing it up, nor will I hack the wheels off to get the exact ones I have.

So, you gotta ask, for what are you collecting? I did take my autoart out of the package, sacrilege to some, but I didn't try and modify it. For sheer quality and holding or increasing value, limited autoart is probably the way to go. With Bburago being a close second. I am not sure if Maisto tend to go up in value too often unless it is a really rare one and you keep it in the package. I have some 1:24 white with blue stripe GTS-R models that are the kind that come with a screwdriver and you out together and it comes with 2 sets of the BBS wheels from the GEN II ACR cars at the time. Will those go up in value? Perhaps. But I kept 2 in the packages and put them away, and assembled another so I can play with it.

Just to clear up any confusion, yes I am a full grown adult discussing playing with my toy cars. I think it's fun and if you call me immature I am gonna tell my mom on you.

Happy Hunting for models. I have had good luck at stores like Ross and T.J. Maxx, believe it or not. But whenever I go to target or WalMart, I always take a spin through the toy section. It was there that I found a 1:18 blue with silver Stripes Gen III which is the exact car a buddy of mine has and had been unable to find in model form and I just happened to catch a break walking through there once and grabbed it for him. Keep your eyes open, you never know. Good luck and have fun.

Leslie
06-14-2014, 06:50 AM
Wow lots of great posts. I used to love collecting autoart, collection got stolen. The few I had left I sold, and they did hold their value...more if never taken out of the box. Hard to do though haha.
This thread has me motivated to get some of the less expensive models, I like to do "car shows" with the few I have now.
The vettes are there, but when the Vipers show up they steal the show haha. My foster kids always liked that one!

dbow119
06-14-2014, 07:27 PM
Wow lots of great posts. I used to love collecting autoart, collection got stolen. The few I had left I sold, and they did hold their value...more if never taken out of the box. Hard to do though haha.
This thread has me motivated to get some of the less expensive models, I like to do "car shows" with the few I have now.
The vettes are there, but when the Vipers show up they steal the show haha. My foster kids always liked that one!

I have an AUTOart Viper SRT-10 (concept version) that is brand new and never been out of the box. I took a shot and bought it on the internet because the seller used a stock photo (of the production version which I need) so rather pay the return shipping cost I decided to keep it as an extra. If you're interested in purchasing it shoot me a message and I'll make you a good deal on it so you can get your collection started again!

Vprbite
06-15-2014, 01:46 AM
I buy matchbox vipers by the case and give those out to kids at car shows or gas stations, wherever they are interested. In fact, gave out 2 last night in front of a restaurant to a brother and sister I let get pictures in the driver seat. I would say keep the 1:18 ones at home though, ESPECIALLY if it is specific of your car. Gonna get harder, if not impossible to find, as they make just the new (2013+) model car. Recently though, ACE Hardware had (bigger than matchbox is but not 1:24 scale...1:32 or something? About 4" long) Gen II GTS that were the kind you pulled back and wind up a spring and they drive off. they were about 4 bucks each so I save those for kids who seem way into the Viper and know something about it/their dads know a lot about it.

Funny side story about those. My dad was down from Phoenix helping me do some projects around the house. Little fix it stuff here and there where his expertise is helpful. Anyway, being the great dad that he is, he went to pay for the materials and as he did I threw about 5 of those Vipers up there. At 4 dollars and change a piece it increased our cost of materials about 10000%. I said, "look at this, 34 yrs old and I am still making you buy me toys when we go to the hardware store." The cashier at ace loved it, My father grimaced and asked aloud whether I really needed them. Though I am sure he secretly loved it. It's funny how some things never change.

Leslie, that sucks your collection got stolen. The heartbreak factor is way worse than the monetary in that case.

What I do is buy 1:18th basically whenever and wherever I see them and then give them as gifts to people who have that car, as my example of the blue with silver stripes for my friend. I just keep my eyes open and mostly what I have learned is DON'T HESITATE. If it's a toy viper, BUY IT because later you will wish you did, or someone in your club will wish you did when you hear them say they have never found a silver with blue stRipe Gen II, or the look on the child's face to whom you just gave a model of the exact car they were drooling after will make it worth it. I have had someone come up to me at a car show and ask me to shake my hand after seeing me give out the matchbox cars to the kids who were Viper fans. He said "you have got to be the coolest car guy ever" and I said, if you aren't gonna have fun with it and share that fun, what's the point? This is how I feel about the need to buy models.

Ok, rant over.

Leslie
06-15-2014, 06:53 AM
Dbow, that is so kind of you!
Viperbite - I do the same thing, giving the smaller scale ones away:)
I've got a white GTS-R to give to a friend of mine.

Vprbite
06-15-2014, 02:08 PM
Dbow, that is so kind of you!
Viperbite - I do the same thing, giving the smaller scale ones away:)
I've got a white GTS-R to give to a friend of mine.

That's great to gear you do it too. Isn't that just so much fun? Seeing the kids happy is so great and a reminder of how simple it is to be happy or make someone happy when you really get down to it. Imagine how happy we were finding the exact model of our car. I think for the kids is great cause they weren't in toy-getting mode, so it came as a complete surprise.

D-Bow that is cool of you. Someone will appreciate that for sure. There is always somene looking on here. I will be sure to keep my eye out for you for the one we were talking about.

Leslie
06-22-2014, 04:58 PM
Vprbite-Thanks for sending me the link to this car, got it yesterday:) All it needs is the aero kit and the stripe on the steering wheel...I like the matte black paint, very kewl for $17!

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q436/levettegrl/diecast2.jpg (http://s350.photobucket.com/user/levettegrl/media/diecast2.jpg.html)

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q436/levettegrl/diecast1.jpg (http://s350.photobucket.com/user/levettegrl/media/diecast1.jpg.html)

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q436/levettegrl/diecast3.jpg (http://s350.photobucket.com/user/levettegrl/media/diecast3.jpg.html)

Vprbite
06-22-2014, 11:14 PM
Awesome!!!!! My GF just said it looks like a real car out on the snow. I am thrilled I helped you with that. Are you going to carefully use a small pointed brush and acrylic to paint the steering wheel stripe? Probably easier than trying to do it with tape. Let me know how my donor car idea works out.,I have done that before and it worked great.

Congratulations on restarting your collection. Enjoy!!

Leslie
06-23-2014, 10:19 AM
yeh that makes sense for the wheel painting...hummm...donor car...

Vprbite
06-23-2014, 03:26 PM
yeh that makes sense for the wheel painting...hummm...donor car...

Wheel painting...I might recommend you go to a model store and see what they have there. Again, donor car could also work for a practice car for painting practice. Get another model (any car, doesn't matter) that has the same type of wheels, be they metal or plastic, and paint one with a brush, one with spray paint (don't believe the bullshit...no matter what anyone says, always use primer. Probably only need a light coat. Just an adhesion coat, but paint comes out so much better when primed. I don't know why the companies say no primer needed. Aside from wanting to sell you more,product, don't they want that product to work better? ) and see which works better. But a hobby/model store will have paint in smaller quantities and paint for die-casts. They may be able to advise you too as you are not the first to customize a die-cars.

Isn't it impressive I can plan your whole weekend like that? LOL. I just know how I would go about it and you seem to have similar passion like I do so, just sharing my experience and thoughts.