PDA

View Full Version : Harness Race Seat Installation Pics

bmwtmx
12-01-2018, 02:13 PM
Want to install a set of harnesses in my 2014 TA for some track duty. Anyone have pics of the install? Specifically, where to you mount the lap and anti-sub belts? Also, have read a lot about the difficulties installing a race seat so anyone have a solution that? Pics always help. Thanks in advance.

darbgnik
12-01-2018, 02:27 PM
Want to install a set of harnesses in my 2014 TA for some track duty. Anyone have pics of the install? Specifically, where to you mount the lap and anti-sub belts? Also, have read a lot about the difficulties installing a race seat so anyone have a solution that? Pics always help. Thanks in advance.

This oughtta be what you're looking for?
https://driveviper.com/forums/threads/1152-Teamtech-6-point-Harness-Installed!?highlight=teamtech+harness+install

Jprince
12-01-2018, 04:29 PM
I recently installed the team tech harness, and the new style bar for the sub belts also has eyes on the ends for the lap belt. Super easy install.

sharmut
12-01-2018, 06:18 PM
Agree the team harness ASR or Rampac. Great fit for the Viper OE seat and it on both the TA and ACR.

The TA uses a sub-bar, as Jprince mentioned, has eyelets for the lap belts.

For the ACR, the previous owner used the round bar under the seat near the front to secure the sub-belt. The lap belt are connected to eyelets, for the outboard side, replaced the factory bolt of the factory seat belt bolt. The inboard side at the transmission tunnel, installed eyelets. These eyelets secure the lap belt. With the sub-belt secured to the seat, instead of the sub-bar it allows the seat to move forward and back to accommodate multiple drivers.

Special Ed
12-02-2018, 01:21 AM
If you use the seat lowering kit and the sub bar you are in for a very frustrating install. If you are doing it this way pm me and I will walk you through the entir frustrating process.

38D
12-02-2018, 05:14 AM
For the ACR, the previous owner used the round bar under the seat near the front to secure the sub-belt. The lap belt are connected to eyelets, for the outboard side, replaced the factory bolt of the factory seat belt bolt. The inboard side at the transmission tunnel, installed eyelets. These eyelets secure the lap belt. With the sub-belt secured to the seat, instead of the sub-bar it allows the seat to move forward and back to accommodate multiple drivers.

I may be picturing your ACR setup incorrectly, but you definitely don’t want the sub strap to route over the front of the seat. The sub either needs to go straight down or up to a 20d angle, or you can sit on it “parachute” style, which is how most Vipers work given the location of the holes in the seat.

I much prefer Schroth harnesses. The hardware is smaller and doesn’t scratch the bleep out of your seat backs. And there is not all the annoying padding getting in the way.

From the Schroth site.

FSTENUF
12-02-2018, 07:38 AM
Pretty simple install get the cross bar that goes across the back set of bolts. Total time for install about 1 hour for both drivers and passengers sides.

Dr.Ron
12-02-2018, 12:24 PM
Sharmut, do you happen to have a link for that "round bar" under the seat near the front?

Ron

Arizona Vipers
12-02-2018, 09:30 PM

You want to install a race seat? Is this a track only car?

sharmut
12-03-2018, 10:19 AM
@38D, the sub-belt routes through the rear portion of the seat as it would with the use of the sub-bar.

sharmut
12-03-2018, 10:24 AM
Sharmut, do you happen to have a link for that "round bar" under the seat near the front?
Ron

The ACR is not home at the moment. You may be able to feel it, if you reach under the front section of the seat.

bmwtmx
12-04-2018, 08:07 AM
Thanks for the good information. Because I have a T/A what bars do I need to mount the lap/anti-sub belts? If I need to lower the seat what are the best options for harnesses? It's tight already with a helmet.

My car will see limited track time but I hate driving without belts. I would get a race seat if it was not a crazy install.

sharmut
12-06-2018, 02:48 AM
You can contact teamtech for the sub-bar. viperpartsusa also sells a version, not certain if it has the eyelets on the ends to secure the lap belt.
If you need to lower the seat, a seat lowering kits available from http://viperpartsusa.com. It can lower the seat by 2.5". "The kit is a fixed fore and aft position, meaning that you will not have the ability to move the seat forward or back once the kit is installed."

Dr.Ron
12-07-2018, 09:42 AM
You can contact teamtech for the sub-bar. viperpartsusa also sells a version, not certain if it has the eyelets on the ends to secure the lap belt.
If you need to lower the seat, a seat lowering kits available from http://viperpartsusa.com. It can lower the seat by 2.5". "The kit is a fixed fore and aft position, meaning that you will not have the ability to move the seat forward or back once the kit is installed."

Will that front bar still allow me to move my seat?

sharmut
12-07-2018, 01:43 PM
Will that front bar still allow me to move my seat?

Without the seat lovering kit, answer is yes. Wish the teamtech sub-belt length was 6" longer to make securing the strap to the bar easier.

Dr.Ron
12-07-2018, 01:57 PM
Without the seat lovering kit, answer is yes. Wish the teamtech sub-belt length was 6" longer to make securing the strap to the bar easier.

Exactly! My antisub strap is a bit too tight in the croch area (strap too short) attaching to the teamtech bar, so I am thinking if I put a 2nd bar in the front just for the antisub strap, my junk won't get strangulated while on track. lol

sharmut
12-07-2018, 09:01 PM
Exactly! My antisub strap is a bit too tight in the croch area (strap too short) attaching to the teamtech bar, so I am thinking if I put a 2nd bar in the front just for the antisub strap, my junk won't get strangulated while on track. lol

I struggled with that problem with the sub-belt connected via the teamtech rear sub-bar in the TA. It took several adjustments of the strap length at the sub-bar to get right. Of course it limited the range of the seat adjustment.

Below is a photo from the TeamTech manual. Notice how much of the top section of the buckle is exposed above the seat opening.

I inset the sub-belt buckle deeper into the seat than the Teamtech Install Guide called out, just enough to reach in with my fingers to release the strap pressure for adjustments. This allowed enough length to secure to the front bar location.

ViperGeorge
12-08-2018, 09:22 AM
I've suggested to Team Tech that they add attaching loops to the bar for the sub belts. They currently only have them for the lap belts. The original design, which I have, doesn't have any loops on the bar for attaching the belts. Makes it a real pain to remove the sub or lap belts. Of course Team Tech wants close to $400 for new bars if I want to update mine.

koko_tee
12-18-2018, 02:42 PM
Hey all.

I have installed the Team Tech anchor bar with eyelets to my Gen 5 ACR. The install was relatively simple. The lap belts attach to the eye lets and the sub belts to the bar itself. I do agree that the sub belts length are a little short but you can make them as long as possible while still maintaining safety.

@ViperGeorge, the teamtech site shows the bar as being $190. I have raced on it 3 times already and LOVE it! Impact on my crown jewels is unnoticeable while driving, even under heavy braking.

ViperGeorge
12-18-2018, 03:13 PM
Hey all.

I have installed the Team Tech anchor bar with eyelets to my Gen 5 ACR. The install was relatively simple. The lap belts attach to the eye lets and the sub belts to the bar itself. I do agree that the sub belts length are a little short but you can make them as long as possible while still maintaining safety.

@ViperGeorge, the teamtech site shows the bar as being $190. I have raced on it 3 times already and LOVE it! Impact on my crown jewels is unnoticeable while driving, even under heavy braking.

My TeamTech sub belts have a large triangular pad with the cam locking mechanism. They are plenty long and easily lay over the front of the seat when not in use. I did weld up some loops for the sub belts. Much better now as I can remove them easily and don't have to sit on them when just driving around.

koko_tee
12-18-2018, 04:25 PM
Glad to hear you got it sorted out! :D