PDA

View Full Version : Catback systems

Bluecoupe
02-23-2014, 02:05 PM
The PSS tires are here to replace the Runcraps on my 06 coupe. Next on my list is a catback system to get rid of the Gen 3 crossover exhaust. I am considering the Mopar system or the Corsa. My problem is the videos I have seen of these systems makes them sound like ricers, just what I don't want!
I want to keep the emissions intact, good old Colorado emissions testing, and I don' t want to have to battle it every year.
Your recommendations please! The Mopar system is preferred for it's price, but if it junk and I should go for the Corsa, please tell me.

Steve M
02-23-2014, 02:25 PM
Sounds like you might want to seek out an OEM Gen 4 setup - it would get rid of the crossover, but still be very tame.

I've not heard a Corsa in person, but a lot of people swear by them.

Black Moon
04-02-2014, 03:09 PM
The Mopar system is junk in my opinion and LOUD! The Corsa is better but the sound isn't that impressive. Not really 'ricey' but kind of 'farm truck' sounding. I've tried a few and even made my own using Kooks mufflers. Look at the Kook's system. It sounds the best of all in my opinion.

What makes the biggest difference is whether you have headers or not. I have B&B headers which don't allow room for cats so any system I try is way louder than I prefer. I recently added spiral inserts that really helped with the loudness but now it literally sounds like a jet engine when I launch hard. I'd look at Kook's or Corsa. Either way get rid of the cats and go high flow cats. You'll meet emissions and pick up some power. Headers help but are hard to quiet down. Just my 2cents.

sparkrn
04-02-2014, 04:26 PM
Isn't the Mopar system the same as the Borla, actually made by Borla?

Black Moon
04-02-2014, 04:40 PM
Isn't the Mopar system the same as the Borla, actually made by Borla?

I think it is.

Viper Bill
04-02-2014, 05:05 PM
Yes the MOPAR system is made by Borla...even has Borla on mufflers...I like the way mine sounds...UPS truck to 3000 then WOW !!!

Black Moon
04-02-2014, 06:11 PM
Yes the MOPAR system is made by Borla...even has Borla on mufflers...I like the way mine sounds...UPS truck to 3000 then WOW !!!

Excellent description.

slitherv10
04-02-2014, 10:33 PM
Borla does have a nice rumble to it and great back pressure burps when you get off the pedal. I have t installed on my 96 GTS but with Belanger headers on it.

Rukcus
05-20-2014, 07:21 AM
I had the corsa catback for a year and it sounds very good and quite tolerable. I just recently put on a set of belanger headers with 3 inch cats to 2.5 inlet catbacks and to be honest in my opinion my viper now sounds like a viper should.

RTTTTed
05-30-2014, 11:59 PM
Corsa uses sound cancellation technology to remove the irritating bad sound frequencies. Corsa is the only exhaust system that completely eliminates the V10 drone. I love mine. Stainless isn't the greatest for headers (engine compartment temp increase by as much as 20F) but it lasts longer than a car does. Worth 4 or 5 steel exhaust systems!

My rear exit sounds better than a side exit because the length of tubing mellows the sound.

I understood that the 2010 SRT10 came with the Corsa exh.

Dan Cragin
05-31-2014, 12:23 AM
I have used all the systems out there. The Mopar/ Borla system has a good sound at idle but is kind of weezy on the top end. I have had some issues with the exhaust hangers breaking over time. The Corsa sounds great and is really high quality, but pricey. The 08-10 take offs are cost effective but may not have the tone you want. The Belanger catback is a good choice if you want loud, its high quality too.

If you really want some tone, without getting a ticket. You can go to high flow cats or remove the primary Cats. The car will pass smog but is technically not compliant in California.

We can do custom systems as well, to your specs.

Bluecoupe
05-31-2014, 12:35 PM
Thanks for all the info. I went on a cruise last weekend and got to hear many of the systems. I am going to leave the stock system on for now. I am considering adding the Mopar head upgrade which will mean new headers and I'll do the whole system then. The way Colorado is becoming a copy of Ca, I want to leave the cats on it. Maybe bigger, but still have cats.

Luisv
06-01-2014, 09:14 AM
I've been on the fence about this for a while. About a year and a half ago, I removed the rear can on mine and went with an X-Pipe in the rear. Sounds significantly better than the stock. More aggressive, less "soda-can raspy". Overall I like it a great deal.

Question I would have....

I've seen the Mopar/Borla kit is basically similar to what I have, one set of resonators in the sills and exhaust out the back. No crossover though. Is the sound going to be essentially the same as what I have?

I see the Corsa is a two can setup. I would assume this is going to eliminate the cabin rumble/drone. As for the sound, I have a Corsa in the Charger SRT8, if it's anything like that, it's rather tame when driving normally and then gives you a nice rumble when you are on it. Will this kit eliminate the back pressure burps on releasing the throttle?

Would I be better served customizing what I have? Perhaps a Borla can in the sills and a pair of high flow cats? Which Borla can? How do I spec it?

Vipermann
11-02-2014, 05:11 PM
I had an '05 Gen 3 years ago - now have an '09. I tried Corsa 3" with a reducer reversed from stock cats. Too loud IMO and sounded like a chain saw on start-up. I ultimately went with 3" RT cats and an a 3" Mopar Race cat-back. Sounded perfect IMO, and loved the slash tips. Plan to do again.