PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with Gen 4 and NO mufflers?

Late Apex
02-23-2014, 12:12 PM
Any owners out there have a Gen 4 with a cat back pipe only and NO mufflers? If so is it much louder hopefully than with mufflers or does it sound more like a truck? Thanks for a specific input.

IndyRon
02-23-2014, 12:42 PM
I'm currently running stock manifolds and cats, with no mufflers, just 3" pipes both sides. It still sounds deep, fair amount louder than stock, no drone, and not bad on the highway. When I put headers on and remove cats, I am adding a Corsa cat-back system though.

FrgMstr
02-23-2014, 01:17 PM
Corsa vs. straight pipes. Umm, its loud.

http://youtu.be/IQcF5q_vEIA

Late Apex
02-23-2014, 02:36 PM
The problem with the video/audio for comparison is its with Belanger and no cats so I cannot get a true difference. Im just wanting the difference in no mufflers but with cats and oem headers. The replies are good though. Thanks.

Shooter
02-23-2014, 05:39 PM
I have Hi-flo cats and oem exhaust and it's pretty loud. I imagine without mufflers it would be close to how a Comp Coupe sounds maybe?

JonB ~ PartsRack
02-24-2014, 05:16 PM
I have heard them, and I doubt that it would be street-legal, or even tolerable at WOT ! OE- Muffler-less sounds a bit hammery-ratty to me.

And to some, the word 'drone' is a 'relative' thing. But Mark, you know that drone and resonance are identifiable on an oscilloscope, and they are REAL. Like when your 767 engines get out-of-synch!

Anything that increases decibel levels will increase the loudness of those frequencies as well.

Exception: CORSA. Only CORSA employs "Reflective Sound Canceling" as first engineered by Lotus, to eliminate those frequencies.

Belanger Headers changes the TONE since they are not higher-pitched stainless as OE. As well as change the decibels since they flow so much better than OE.

With HF cats you can add decibels,,,,keep the OE tone. Substrate matters, ceramic vs SHF Metal. All at lower temps......

If you can handle the drone, just add a couple stubby 2.5" glasspacks vs OE mufflers! REALLY !!

Late Apex
02-26-2014, 03:51 PM
I have heard them, and I doubt that it would be street-legal, or even tolerable at WOT ! OE- Muffler-less sounds a bit hammery-ratty to me.

And to some, the word 'drone' is a 'relative' thing. But Mark, you know that drone and resonance are identifiable on an oscilloscope, and they are REAL. Like when your 767 engines get out-of-synch!

Anything that increases decibel levels will increase the loudness of those frequencies as well.

Exception: CORSA. Only CORSA employs "Reflective Sound Canceling" as first engineered by Lotus, to eliminate those frequencies.

Belanger Headers changes the TONE since they are not higher-pitched stainless as OE. As well as change the decibels since they flow so much better than OE.

With HF cats you can add decibels,,,,keep the OE tone. Substrate matters, ceramic vs SHF Metal. All at lower temps......

If you can handle the drone, just add a couple stubby 2.5" glasspacks vs OE mufflers! REALLY !! Hey Jon, good stuff here and even if my 767 engines were out of sync I am too far forward to notice. LOL. As a racer you know how I like a lot of noise especially if it is a Viper. Drone to me is awesome as is throttle off popping etc. I only wish I could duplicate the loud GTSR sound of my old GTS but it had headers, no mufflers, hi flo cats, cam, heads, rockers etc. and the best thing, NO cel issues, no Mopar PCM crap required and no problem even passing Tx. emissions. People could hear the car a mile away and my ears almost hurt under the balaclava and helmet. Thats what turns me on. Not a stereo blaring away. If I did not have to do the PCM on these fragile Gen 4s and exchange to oem back and forth every year in Tx. to pass emissions I would buy the entire system from you. I need to buy something from you anyway as it been awhile!!! Really !!