PDA

View Full Version : Gen 2 Intake Manifold Upgrade... Later Gen Welded RetroFit?

MrCreosote
10-23-2018, 12:47 AM
I have not found a single mention of modding a Gen 2+ intake manifold onto Gen 2 heads which sounds like a good idea if someone already had ported Gen 2 heads. And it would be a bolt on.

From what I've found searching, the Gen 2 manifold bolt holes are staggered whereas the subsequent Gens are not. But it looks like the gasket surface angle may be different from photographs. Ports are evenly spaced so if block bore centers unchanged, port spacing could be the same.

And am I right that the Gen 5 plenum has a bolted on cover???

Each generation appears to have a completely rethought intake.

sassafras
10-23-2018, 09:17 AM
Gen 3 will bolt right up to gen 2 heads.

99RT10
10-23-2018, 09:21 AM
Most just go with a Gen 3. I think the Gen 3 TPS even works correctly

dave6666
10-23-2018, 01:01 PM
The reason no one does it is because there are way better things to do to a Viper engine. Not every that can be done is an upgrade just because it's possible.

99RT10
10-23-2018, 01:49 PM
If you want to practice on a Gen 2 intake without destroying yours, I have one for $275 shipped

MrCreosote
10-23-2018, 09:24 PM
The Gen 3 looks like a completely different concept: short runners.

If a Gen 3 intake is swapped, the only sensible way would be to get a used on complete with injectors, TBs, and all sensors.

I have have a 96 heads/cam/headers and looking to upgrade the weakest link.

99RT10
10-23-2018, 09:46 PM
The Gen 3 looks like a completely different concept: short runners.

If a Gen 3 intake is swapped, the only sensible way would be to get a used on complete with injectors, TBs, and all sensors.

I have have a 96 heads/cam/headers and looking to upgrade the weakest link.

The heads are the weakest link. You can port match the intake, who ported your heads?

RyanLS.GEN2
10-24-2018, 09:28 AM
the gen3 has shorter runners, but it is some what deceptive the runners cross under so left side of plenum feeds the right cylinder head bank. they look shorter than they are.

MrCreosote
10-24-2018, 10:34 AM
99rt10, TNT in 1999 did the porting.

Also found a Viper truck thread that really got into the conversion: http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/f8/gen-2-intake-vs-gen-3-a-50383/

"...]FIFTY more ft. lbs. of torque between 2800 and 4000..."

All the threads talking about this upgrade comes down to: good for SC and TT, not good for stock NA. But no real talk about ported head Gen2 cases.

rottenronnie had a lot to share:

The stock Gen II Intake manifold produces FIFTY more ft. lbs. of torque between 2800 and 4000 than the stock Gen III Intake.
A longer runner with no taper tunes harder at peak torque.
There is no increase in peak horsepower over the stock Gen III Intake.

To convert you'd need (2) TBs, proper linkage, a revision to the thermostat housing (like from a Viper car), fuel line routing, some kind of air intake system and a "custom" upper rad hose.
The Gen II also used lower capacity fuel injectors than the Gen III.

The o.e.m. Gen III Intake was a Lambo design and was more for form than function.
The Gen II is a better manifold comparing each, unmodified.

The Gen III Intake can be modified to work quite well but it takes a considerable amount of time and effort..

EDIT: Considering the extra long Gen 2 intake runners, larger TB's on a Gen 2 intake might be a moot point. Who knows, maybe smaller ones?

EDIT2: On the other hand, the Gen 3 intake may not need as high an octane gasoline.

Camfab
10-27-2018, 05:20 PM
Likely the bit about the Gen III manifold being a Lamborghini design is reversed with the Gen II. I wanted to do a manifold swap many times but was discouraged by the gentleman who designed the Striker heads. To answer your question I don’t have factory heads.