PDA

View Full Version : Steel Braided Brake Lines

JasonSSG
02-22-2014, 01:01 AM
Im looking to install steel braided break lines for my GEN 4 '09 before the track season starts in the next few months. Can anyone recommend a good kit and also what is the preferred brake fluid. I only track my car 4 or 5 times a year so Im not looking for race fluid that needs that collects moisture and needs to be bled frequently. Also any install instructions with needed equipment and tools will help.

Fatboy 18
02-22-2014, 02:01 AM
http://www.ipsco.org/Viper_files/SRT10%20Brake%20line%20kit.htm

And worth giving JonB a call at PartsRack for other options :)

Garron
02-22-2014, 05:00 AM
Most prefer the stoptech lines for gen 3 and 4’s. Any dot 4 or 5.1 would be fine. Nothing wrong with the mopar dot 4
Talk to JonB

XSnake
02-22-2014, 06:41 AM
Stoptech's

MtnBiker
02-22-2014, 08:58 AM
JonB sold me the stoptechs. They are a bloody pain in the ass to install. You need a lift, 12 mm box end wrench, a backup crescent wrench to hold the square block the lines go into, rags to keep cleaning brake fluid, brake fluid cleaner spray, an extra pair of hands and patience. I used Motul 600 fluid. When tightening the lines you have to make sure the lines go into the junction block perfectly orthogonally (90 degrees), otherwise they will leak no matter how tight you crank them down. You can do that by gently applying strong pressure with your hand to get the brake line to come into the junction vertically. And as pointed out below a brake bleeder.

Good luck.

RedTanRT/10
02-22-2014, 08:59 AM
Stoptech's and Moutul 600

slitherv10
02-22-2014, 09:04 AM
Im looking to install steel braided break lines for my GEN 4 '09 before the track season starts in the next few months. Can anyone recommend a good kit and also what is the preferred brake fluid. I only track my car 4 or 5 times a year so Im not looking for race fluid that needs that collects moisture and needs to be bled frequently. Also any install instructions with needed equipment and tools will help.

Informational question:

What is the importance of these lines? (noticeable difference with stock)

Would you need them if you are tracking 4 or 5 times a year?

JonB ~ PartsRack
02-22-2014, 10:59 AM
SS lines have a minimal benefit in street driving.....the simplest way to describe it is 'better pedal feel'. SS lines "telegraph" the pedal feel-modulation to your foot better than rubber, in the same way steel conducts soumnd waves better than rubber.

Tracking, pedal modulation / feel is more important.

And When driving on track AT THE LIMITS you want a consistent brake point every lap, and SS lines enables that. When rotors / calipers heat up to 800-1200f, they radiate heat onto the OE rubber lines. And the fluid inside calipers and lines can reach 500-600f !!! This allows the rubber lines to expand more than normal. Expanding hot lines results in INCONSISTENT braking points as your session goes longer- more laps.

For example if you like 'brake marker #4' on a particular straight, for your fastest transit of that corner, you don't want expanding rubber lines "moving" that brake-point each lap to an earlier mark due to expansion.

It iss a matter of hundredths / tenths per corner / lap

Did that 'splain it OK?

And since you asked, StopTech lines in stock for G3-4 at only $198 all 4 !!

slitherv10
02-22-2014, 12:15 PM
SS lines have a minimal benefit in street driving.....the simplest way to describe it is 'better pedal feel'. SS lines "telegraph" the pedal feel-modulation to your foot better than rubber, in the same way steel conducts soumnd waves better than rubber.

Tracking, pedal modulation / feel is more important.

And When driving on track AT THE LIMITS you want a consistent brake point every lap, and SS lines enables that. When rotors / calipers heat up to 800-1200f, they radiate heat onto the OE rubber lines. And the fluid inside calipers and lines can reach 500-600f !!! This allows the rubber lines to expand more than normal. Expanding hot lines results in INCONSISTENT braking points as your session goes longer- more laps.

For example if you like 'brake marker #4' on a particular straight, for your fastest transit of that corner, you don't want expanding rubber lines "moving" that brake-point each lap to an earlier mark due to expansion.

It iss a matter of hundredths / tenths per corner / lap

Did that 'splain it OK?

And since you asked, StopTech lines in stock for G3-4 at only $198 all 4 !!

Thanks Jon, that was a very informative explanation. Something to know in case.

St.Char
02-22-2014, 08:13 PM
Here's a great brake bleeder http://www.motiveproducts.com/?gclid=CMqymJ6j2rwCFeg-MgodEjIA2g

Here's the one you will need http://motiveproducts.3dcartstores.com/Chrysler-Bleeder-0103_p_106.html

JasonSSG
03-07-2014, 11:38 PM
Ill be picking up some!

Nixon's SRT
03-08-2014, 12:18 PM
Jason, I have a lift and all the tools. Welcome to come down for the install. I have the same lines on my viper

pony23
03-09-2014, 06:35 AM
I love the stop tech lines. I ran them on my GT500 and just installed them on the viper. You could feel a difference on the GT500.

Dusty1
03-09-2014, 09:51 AM
With the Motul fluid the cheapest and best track upgrade for your track beast. I am always amused that the first thing folks want to buy it seems is headers, air in takes and other power adders. Stopping is what is best on a race track. There is no terror like going into your favorite corner and the brake peddle goes to the floor on a hot day!

Richard

JonB ~ PartsRack
03-10-2014, 06:12 PM
With the Motul fluid the cheapest and best track upgrade for your track beast. I am always amused that the first thing folks want to buy it seems is headers, air in takes and other power adders. Stopping is what is best on a race track. There is no terror like going into your favorite corner and the brake peddle goes to the floor on a hot day! Richard

TRACK PERFORMANCE RULES OF THUMB:

# 1: First, make it STOP BETTER

# 2: Then, make it TURN BETTER

# 3: Then, ADD POWER

#4: ASSumes your 'TRACK SOFTWARE' is updated and can handle # 1, #2, and #3.

[To FIND your Track Software, just look between your EARS]