PDA

View Full Version : Vacation help needed Homestead Miami Speedway

Fatboy 18
10-13-2018, 01:29 PM
Hello, Looking for some travel advice and safety advice.
I am thinking of taking my Son to see the Ford Ecoboost 400 NASCAR race. It will be just the two of us and I plan to fly into Miami on the 15th Nov and return 21st Nov. I have not been to the USA in almost 18 years so I am sure a few things have changed.
are there any No Go areas that should be avoided at all costs? Im looking at Low budget Motel accommodation. Some friends of mine are also going to the race but they are staying in an apartment up in Pompano Beach area north of Hollywood.

I can't decide where would be the best area to stay? are there any evening car meets /cruise's that would be worth attending during those dates?

Plan was to attend Homestead speedway Saturday and Sunday then have some free time Monday Tuesday.
Whats worth seeing? is that Hurricane season?
Thanks Mark.

repiV
10-13-2018, 04:02 PM
I can't help you with car events in that area but if you're going to the speedway I would stay in Homestead. There are a variety of hotels from cheap to expensive and you'd save yourself the heachache of fighting Miami traffic. I stay at the Holiday Inn in Florida City or the Hampton Inn in Homestead.

Hurricane season will coming to an end by then but still possible....you never know.

I would suggest driving down to Key West since you'll have time. It's a drive everyone should do at least once and Key West is a cool place to see. Leave early and you can make the drive down, spend a bit of time there and make it back in the same day but it will be a long day or consider staying a night down there as another option. It depends on what you're in to. There are great beaches in Miami if that's more your speed and lots to do along the beaches.

Lost me beer
10-13-2018, 05:19 PM
Hmmm. Sketchy places to avoid in South Florida. Pretty much Miami and the surrounding 30 miles comes to mind.
I am sure there are some decent hotels around the speedway, although I can't recall many. Pompano can be nice in some areas, but is also an hour away with no traffic...well, there is ALWAYS fn traffic down there.
Enjoy ur visit, and yes, Key West is worth the drive.
If you make it as far north as Orlando, give a hollar and we can grab a pint!
Troy

AZTVR
10-13-2018, 08:58 PM
Too bad you will be pretty far away and leaving a bit early, or the Daytona Turkey Run would be a possibility. I would like to make that some year. Expecting 6500 collector cars between the car show display and cars-for-sale car corral. http://turkeyrun.com/

Fatboy 18
10-14-2018, 02:40 AM
Too bad you will be pretty far away and leaving a bit early, or the Daytona Turkey Run would be a possibility. I would like to make that some year. Expecting 6500 collector cars between the car show display and cars-for-sale car corral. http://turkeyrun.com/

Thanks for the link, I have actually done the Turkey run at Daytona, it was great. that was way back in 1999! loved every second of it.

Fatboy 18
10-14-2018, 02:52 AM
Hmmm. Sketchy places to avoid in South Florida. Pretty much Miami and the surrounding 30 miles comes to mind.
I am sure there are some decent hotels around the speedway, although I can't recall many. Pompano can be nice in some areas, but is also an hour away with no traffic...well, there is ALWAYS fn traffic down there.
Enjoy ur visit, and yes, Key West is worth the drive.
If you make it as far north as Orlando, give a hollar and we can grab a pint!
Troy

Thanks Troy, Yes I remember being in Miami 1979/80 being somewhat courtois, I had taken my Mum and Dad to Florida for the first time, at one point we were in a shopping mall and were being followed by a local hispanic guy, we ended up going into a shop and calling security!

Is Sebring Race track worth driving to? I've never been there? does anything happen there on non race events?

Fatboy 18
10-14-2018, 03:01 AM
I can't help you with car events in that area but if you're going to the speedway I would stay in Homestead. There are a variety of hotels from cheap to expensive and you'd save yourself the heachache of fighting Miami traffic. I stay at the Holiday Inn in Florida City or the Hampton Inn in Homestead.

Hurricane season will coming to an end by then but still possible....you never know.

I would suggest driving down to Key West since you'll have time. It's a drive everyone should do at least once and Key West is a cool place to see. Leave early and you can make the drive down, spend a bit of time there and make it back in the same day but it will be a long day or consider staying a night down there as another option. It depends on what you're in to. There are great beaches in Miami if that's more your speed and lots to do along the beaches.

Thanks for the Ideas and advice Many years ago (1979) I did drive half way down the Keys but never made it down as far as Key West, :)

Fatboy 18
10-14-2018, 03:05 PM
Well Flights booked, Accommodation sorted and race tickets purchased :dancingman:

Just got to sort out a Hire car now........Do Hertz stock Gen V ACR'S? :D

AZTVR
10-14-2018, 03:37 PM

Well, no Viper, but, maybe something interesting could be found from one of several outlets such as: https://exoticcars.enterprise.com/en/vehicles.html

Fatboy 18
10-14-2018, 04:19 PM
:dude3::dude3: Cool, but I better not go down that road, might end up with a few of these chasing me :police-car-004::police-car-004::police-car-004::police-car-004::police-car-004::police-car-004::t89039:

AZTVR
10-16-2018, 09:25 AM

Coincidentally, I just saw a post on FB for the following rental of a 2016 GTS in Miami: https://turo.com/rentals/cars/fl/miami/dodge-viper/355115

SmoknTires
10-16-2018, 01:38 PM
And coincidentally, you'll also be touring one of the key venues for NVE4 in 2020... : )

Love south FL. As others mentioned, staying near homestead is likely easiest, and lots of cheaper hotels in that area. Staying further NE is painful due to traffic. Nothing to truly avoid due to real "dangers". Like any populated area you'll have good and bad, but you'll be fine.

Have fun down there.

Fatboy 18
10-16-2018, 03:29 PM
i'm really liking the look of this one :) much more in my budget ;)
https://turo.com/rentals/cars/fl/miami/dodge-challenger/226842?s=yCR7cFGd

2nd thoughts forget that, that car only give you 500 miles free! I will doing more like 1500, miles.

Fatboy 18
10-16-2018, 03:30 PM
And coincidentally, you'll also be touring one of the key venues for NVE4 in 2020... : )

Love south FL. As others mentioned, staying near homestead is likely easiest, and lots of cheaper hotels in that area. Staying further NE is painful due to traffic. Nothing to truly avoid due to real "dangers". Like any populated area you'll have good and bad, but you'll be fine.

Have fun down there.

Thank you.

Fatboy 18
10-22-2018, 02:35 PM
Well I've gone to the dark side and have rented a Ford Mustang convertible :D

Really looking forward to the Vacation. :smileys-car-driving

Hi Guys, well I just got back to the UK, Wow Florida Miami area has changed dramatically since I was last there! A real tourist hot spot and buzzing atmosphere!

I arrived at the airport only to find a Very basic Mustang Vert so upgraded to a 2019 Chevy Camaro SS fully loaded. Awesome Drive, I now want one as a new family car :)
Homestead was Great, I was blown away by the Noise of the V8s :dude3:

Now the only thing that let the trip down was the Traffic! the 95 was really gridlocked in the miami area, I thought the British M25 London orbital road was bad but the 95 and surrounding roads around Lauderdale and Miami were bad :(

But once the freeway opened up things started moving. Could not believe the amount of people on cell phones while driving!
You get busted big time for that in England!

Thank you USA for a Great Vacation.