PDA

View Full Version : Where to Find Tires

Bill W
09-13-2018, 07:50 AM
Considering a 2002 RT/10 with 11,000 miles. I'm concerned about driving the car with sixteen-year-old tires. No dry rot on them but still...? I know many parts are hard to find but was surprised to learn that new tires seem non-existant. I don't want a daily driver or a touring car, but I do want a Viper with tires that I can feel confident when driving the twisties (at a safe speed). Not looking to hotrod, either. What do Gen l and Gen ll owners do for tires?

viperman4125
09-13-2018, 08:00 AM
Considering a 2002 RT/10 with 11,000 miles. I'm concerned about driving the car with sixteen-year-old tires. No dry rot on them but still...? I know many parts are hard to find but was surprised to learn that new tires seem non-existant. I don't want a daily driver or a touring car, but I do want a Viper with tires that I can feel confident when driving the twisties (at a safe speed). Not looking to hotrod, either. What do Gen l and Gen ll owners do for tires?

Hi Bill,
I have a 94, I did buy some from Tire Rack, but it took a while to get them, sometimes they have them, sometimes they don't. have to keep checking back. Took me 6 months to find and get them, Also keep the car stock, some up to a 18" rim.

Bill Pemberton
09-13-2018, 08:06 AM
If you check Tire Rack ask for Luke Pavlik ( or just dial in 4362 , his extention ) as he has been helping Viper owners since the 90s. Don't forget to also get in touch with Jon B at the PartsRack, as he often has access to sizes that are hard to get!

parabs
09-13-2018, 08:07 AM
I'd look at tirerack and give some consideration to the BFG Rival S as they are showing available in 275/35/18 and 335/30/18 sizes. There are also the Toyo R888r's that are available but up a rung for performance but down a rung for rain traction and longevity.

BLRDViper
09-13-2018, 08:07 AM
I checked out Tire Rack when I bought mine, then I called Jon B at Viper Parts Rack and he got me even a better deal. I would give Jon a call before you buy.
BLRD

Bill Pemberton
09-13-2018, 08:20 AM
Frankly I would take the BFG over the Toyo all day long , since they are quite sticky , but will last longer and are not near as noisy. Treadwear rating double the Toyo and frankly unless you are doing road course stuff all the time the BFG has a lot better overall benefits - rain, street driving, autocross, etc. Heck it is still quite grippy and with a 200 rating one could even go to an Autocross and run in the Street Classes.

The BFG would still be a solid tire for HPDE events , also, just not likely quite as quick as the Toyo , but not that far back in my experience. Plus , folks seem to always ignore the statement on the Toyos listed on the Tire Rack site -- for competition and autocross only!! Not a tire I would recommend in the rain, damp, etc.

capevettes
09-13-2018, 08:23 AM
I just bought Toyo R888r for my 2001 GTS. They have the correct size for Gen 2's. Love the tires. Got them through the Tire Rack. They were in my driveway the day after I ordered them.

Mr. Acoustics
09-13-2018, 02:25 PM
My 2001 had BFG Rival S on the stock wheels when I bought it and recently I went to SRT wheels and put Toyo R888r's on them. Both are very sticky tires. In the dry outside of actually being on a track you are unlikely to notice a difference in grip. In the wet though, the BFG's are much better, and they are so much quieter than the Toyo's. I have high flow cats and a corsa cat back and just cruising you can easily hear the Toyo's howl. On fresh blacktop they are really bad.

For a mostly street driven car I would get the BFG's, and since they are 200 treadwear they also qualify for street tire category for SCCA autocross, if you decided to do that at some point.

JonB ~ PartsRack
09-13-2018, 02:29 PM
I checked out Tire Rack when I bought mine, then I called Jon B at Viper Parts Rack and he got me even a better deal. I would give Jon a call before you buy.
BLRD

If you check Tire Rack ask for Luke Pavlik.......Don't forget to also get in touch with Jon B at the PartsRack, as he often has access to sizes that are hard to get!

Thanks Much Guys

We have tires for all Generations IN STOCK, and we can almost always save you $$ below the big guys...

Steve-Indy
09-13-2018, 02:32 PM
Great to know, JonB...sounds as though things are getting better in the tire world !!

Lalmeida617
09-13-2018, 08:26 PM
I just purchased a set of 17’s for my 96 Rt/10. Tire rack had them factory size in stock. Also they have a rebate on them. I did not know about JonB next time I will ask him first.

Matt M, Pa
09-13-2018, 09:01 PM
Thanks Much Guys

We have tires for all Generations IN STOCK, and we can almost always save you $$ below the big guys...

Jon...what do you have in 18" sets for a 2000?

Bill W
09-14-2018, 10:39 AM
Thanks to all for your help. Spoke with JonB a few minutes ago. Very nice man and extremely helpful for a prospective Viper owner like me. I hope to close a deal on the 2002 Viper next week after Hurricane Florence works its way through SC. I'm in Greenville and it's expected to bring a lot of rain here on Sunday. I'll keep y'all posted.

drewsss
09-14-2018, 05:06 PM
BLRD

+1 for Jon B. He just set me up for shoes all the way around for my Gen 3.

Steve-Indy
09-14-2018, 05:24 PM
Yes, JonB is Da Man...noting that he just saved one of our local Member's Asp...2 new front tires overnight at a great price !!!

Thanks, again JonB

silver99gt2
09-19-2018, 05:55 PM
I have 19" and a 345/30/19 rear. Ebay has new pilot sports right now for @250 each i think becuase Michelin just changed the model slightly per discount tire however they are still 350 each there.

City
09-20-2018, 11:10 AM
I have 19" and a 345/30/19 rear. Ebay has new pilot sports right now for @250 each i think becuase Michelin just changed the model slightly per discount tire however they are still 350 each there.

Does anyone really want to order tires on Ebay? Please for your own safety and the safety of those on the road/track around you, stick with our VOA sponsors.

Steve-Indy
09-20-2018, 11:23 AM
As City has said, stick with known, mainstream Viper tire suppliers.

Not all tires of similar sounding dimensions are Viper rated as to speed. Also...date codes matter. Some "bargain" tires that have been offered in past times had very old date codes.