PDA

View Full Version : Should I replace my U joints?

illegalspeeds
02-20-2014, 06:56 AM
Ok, a few of you gents have me concerned. When do you replace your U joints? In the past, I replaced them when I broke them. Then again, in the past, I've only had two per car.
2000 RT/10, no serious mods (smooth tubes, headers, no cats, SCT) with 60,000.0 miles. I had the rear wheels off last night for cleaning and inspection, and the U joints look ok, but...
Where do I draw the line betwen peace of mind and replacing parts for no reason?

Matt

Rizzo
02-20-2014, 07:26 AM
I had one blow while under full acceleration going up a mountain road. I had just over 60000 miles on mine. Its not a fun sound when it happens. I thought i had blown my tranny or rear end as one of the u joints on the 1/2 shaft let go. That axle flopping around makes a lot of noise. Theyre cheap. Id get them done. Mine left me stranded on the side of a mountain road and a 700$ tow bill in to town and an extra day stranded before i could get home.

Indy
02-20-2014, 09:05 AM
I'm rebuilding my half shafts in the next few weeks (u-joints and regreasing slip-yokes). All parts are ordered. My Viper has only 16k miles on it, but the u-joints are greaseless, and after 15 years, you never know how much of that grease is still left. They seem fine, but the new parts are not expensive, and if you do the work yourself, you'll have the peace of mind that those components are good to go. I'll post a full write up when I get around to it, with all possible part numbers that can be used for this. :D

Fatboy 18
02-20-2014, 09:28 AM
2000 GTS here with engine putting out 480 bhp at the flywheel. Just over 60K
I had a UJ break on me the first time I took the car to the Drag strip, the light went green and I got 10 feet!
The UJ Broke causing the half shaft to smash into the diff yoke and cause more damage!

I put in a call to PartsRack and replaced the lot including new straps and upgraded the halfshafts.

Piece of mind!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90582394@N02/sets/72157633073729716/

illegalspeeds
02-20-2014, 09:38 AM
Waiting patiently for your write up...

Indy
02-20-2014, 11:52 AM

:) I'll probably work on it in 3 weeks, when I have a bit of free time. I'm replacing u-joints, straps and regreasing the slip yokes. It's a fairly easy job, so it shouldn't take very long.

Fatboy, car looking good! :)

JonB ~ PartsRack
02-20-2014, 12:49 PM
DANA says they are 'lifetime sealed' U-joints. Solid Steel Forged. 75K++ miles are fine, UNLESS you are hammering them with DRAG RACING on sticky-drag strip surfaces+slicks. Road Racing is NOT that hard on U-joints!

If they feel loose or get noisy, or leak? PROBLEM!

FYI: All 5 DANA U joints + needed /required strap-bolt kits: $199 + sh.

JonB ~ PartsRack
02-20-2014, 12:51 PM
2000 GTS here with engine putting out 480 bhp at the flywheel. Just over 60K
I had a UJ break on me the first time I took the car to the Drag strip, the light went green and I got 10 feet!
The UJ Broke causing the half shaft to smash into the diff yoke and cause more damage!

I put in a call to PartsRack and replaced the lot including new straps and upgraded the halfshafts.

Piece of mind!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90582394@N02/sets/72157633073729716/

Thank You Mark !

illegalspeeds
02-24-2014, 06:42 AM
Thanks to all, and Jon - thanks again! I can't even count the number of times you've been there when I needed or wanted something. I absolutely love the M&M headers I got in December by the way...easiest install I have ever done! The u-joints look and sound solid for now.

Matt

JonB ~ PartsRack
02-24-2014, 05:08 PM
Thanks to all, and Jon - thanks again! I can't even count the number of times you've been there when I needed or wanted something. I absolutely love the M&M headers I got in December by the way...easiest install I have ever done! The u-joints look and sound solid for now. Matt

Not Broke - - - Don't Fix !

eucharistos
02-25-2014, 11:08 PM
DANA says they are 'lifetime sealed' U-joints. Solid Steel Forged. 75K++ miles are fine, UNLESS you are hammering them with DRAG RACING on sticky-drag strip surfaces+slicks. Road Racing is NOT that hard on U-joints!

If they feel loose or get noisy, or leak? PROBLEM!

FYI: All 5 DANA U joints + needed /required strap-bolt kits: $199 + sh.

like old times!

Indy
03-18-2014, 01:43 PM

Posted a little write up in the "how to" section. :)