PDA

View Full Version : gas pedal

viper1
02-19-2014, 06:46 AM
my gas pedal is really sensitive on my 1996 gts coupe, can hardly feel it under my foot, is there a way to make it a little more stiff? also is there a way to set the pedals individually? gas, brake...:D

slitherv10
02-19-2014, 06:25 PM
Why do you need to set them individually?

Viper Girl
02-19-2014, 06:43 PM
Moving to Gen I/ Gen II where you might get more response.. and is appropriate at this point. If we have a How to in the future viper1, feel free to post it in how-to for everyone to see.
Thanks

Luisv
02-19-2014, 09:00 PM
my gas pedal is really sensitive on my 1996 gts coupe, can hardly feel it under my foot, is there a way to make it a little more stiff? also is there a way to set the pedals individually? gas, brake...:D

A bit hard to answer because I don't quite know what you mean by "sensitive". The accelerator on the gen 2's is a linear cable design. It's not a "drive by wire" or electronically controlled. As a result you cannot re-map the curve of the pedal.

On the positions of the pedals relative to each other, yes you can change the pedals a bit. Search up pedal adjustments in the forum. Essentially what you will do is pull the adjustment knob down from the driver's footwell. There are cables there controlling each pedal. You will pull them one at a time to adjust the relative positions and reassemble the control so that the assembly moves as a whole again.

If you can't find the thread, I'll dig it up for you... Just let me know.

viper1
02-20-2014, 05:04 AM
just find the throttle and brake a little to close for my liking, luis v. that would be great!!! if you find the thread please post it for me, thx bubs

viper1
02-20-2014, 05:09 AM
sensitive meaning that the throttle i can hardly feel it under my foot, its so lite

nrs1
02-20-2014, 06:21 AM
Here it is:

http://www.viperalley.com/forum/viper-discussions-gen-i/18538-clutch-pedal-adjustment.html

Great for setting up relative pedal heights for the track.

viper1
02-20-2014, 06:44 AM
thx buds, new owner and just trying to get a feel for everything, appreciate all the help:D

Luisv
02-20-2014, 04:52 PM
just find the throttle and brake a little to close for my liking, luis v. that would be great!!! if you find the thread please post it for me, thx bubs

sensitive meaning that the throttle i can hardly feel it under my foot, its so lite

I see you already go the link.... Thanks NRS!

OK... so a few things. The throttle and brake being close together (left to right spacing) is not going to change. What you can do is move the individual pedals forward and back relative to each other. In other words, so the surface of each pedal on the same plane. If the pedals have not been moved/changed, then you will find the clutch a bit further out (closer to the driver) than the brake and throttle.

In terms of the sensitivity, it being light, that is something that you will find to be real neat about the car. The throttle response is very linear. If you go down 5% of the distance the throttle body will open 5% of it's travel. If you go 20%, the throttle bodies will open 20%. There may be differences... but the point is that it is linear. You'll get used to it. As far as adding pressure to the throttle, I would imagine you would have to add spring tension to the throttle bodies. I don't know that it's an option out there....

Does anybody know if the throttle bodies can get stiffer springs?

viper1
02-21-2014, 06:57 AM
thx buds would anybody know where in toronto i can get a lesson for performance cars? its been about 10 years since i drove stick...

Big Miata
04-25-2014, 11:50 PM
WHYYYYYY DID YOU BUY A VIPER. PARK THE VIPER NOW UNLESS YOUR TROLLING BUY A 1500 dollar Miata slide it a lot then slowly learn the viper. Sensitive means it is too touchy cause the car is too powerful if your used to a torque converter.

Guess im too late it has been two months we probably lost another viper

slitherv10
04-26-2014, 12:01 AM
thx buds would anybody know where in toronto i can get a lesson for performance cars? its been about 10 years since i drove stick...

At the July 18 homecoming there will be lessons at the track....

Oops...but your not a member...well...become a mamba member and you get to save 55 dollars from the sign up fee and you get free lessons. membership does have its privilege.

Viper Girl
04-26-2014, 05:27 PM
He's a new Viper owner, asking questions that are relevant to his experience level.

I would much rather anyone who has such questions ask them here in our forums, and get the correct answers.
Viper1, I'll send you a PM with a possible contact in your area.
Thanks

slitherv10
04-27-2014, 08:18 AM
He's a new Viper owner, asking questions that are relevant to his experience level.

I would much rather anyone who has such questions ask them here in our forums, and get the correct answers.
Viper1, I'll send you a PM with a possible contact in your area.
Thanks

Just trying to recruit.....:slap: :D

Big Miata
04-28-2014, 03:11 PM
Look im all for protecting new people. But if you don't remember how to drive stick and then you buy a viper. I mean borrow some friend vette for a week take him out to dinner or something. Just Ill buy a viper because I always wanted one. This is how people buy widow maker bikes and kill themselves in 4 hours. The Viper does bite and should be treated with respect. But if you don't know why a 1980's Honda civic has such a sensitive pedal because you forgot that a torque converter is not there.... doesn't matter he hasn't checked so he probably wrecked it traded it in ... and We still don't get a new recruit.

ViperGTS
04-28-2014, 04:31 PM
Funny! Post. The gas pedal is too sensitive ...! How about learning to ride a Segway first?
That's a new 'twist' on old Gen1/2 Vipers. :t0135: Excuse me. :drive:

Big Miata
04-28-2014, 04:46 PM
HEY I DONT KNO IF A SEGWAY WILL HOLD MY FAT***. Thank God for that "truck" motor or my car probably wouldn't move.

dodgestang
04-28-2014, 09:58 PM
Here it is:

http://www.viperalley.com/forum/viper-discussions-gen-i/18538-clutch-pedal-adjustment.html

Great for setting up relative pedal heights for the track.

Thank you....I know what I am doing next time I am in the garage now.....I need to get my clutch pedal somewhat higher and my gas pedal a little further away for best comfort and still be able to fully engage the clutch. Right now to sit comfortably in relation to my gas I have to really stretch out to get my clutch in far enough for a shift :( And when I am sitting right to get the full clutch engagement....my ankle is killing me on the gas

Tom, F&L GoR
10-25-2014, 12:01 PM
When I moved from a Gen 1 to a Gen 2, I also found less resistance on the gas pedal. I commute 100 miles a day to work with it and with dress shoes I couldn't feel anything. Frankly, I don't like the linkage introduced with the Gen 2 pedal set - it moves the starting position of the pedals but in practice, you want the end position (WOT, full brake, full clutch) to be comfortable. I've taken apart the adjustment knob already to individually adjust each pedal.

To increase resistance on the throttle pedal I have a simple, free, OEM looking way to do so:
Remove throttle bodies - do the minimum needed to get them off.
Look at the bottom of the TB and see where the end of return spring (wrapped around the throttle shaft) sticks into a slot of the aluminum base gasket surface.
Unhook the spring end and the throttle plate will now be loose (at least the passenger side. Driver's side has a small spring in the throttle position sensor.)
Both ends of the spring will now be resting on the black "bracket" that is part of the throttle shaft assembly.
Using small needle nose, small side cutters, or whatever you have available, grab the end of the spring that was in the base and pull it tighter around the throttle shaft. This may require three hands, dexterity, a different pair of pliers.... it's really the hardest part.
When you have the end and can pull on it, do so in a manner that ends up bending it around the black bracket to replicate the way the original end of the spring was bent. The objective is to have the spring "stick out" further than before.
Note: the throttle return spring is really two springs side by side, so you have to pull/bend each one similarly
Note: they can stick out (for now) because they will not hit the intake manifold upon reassembly. You can cut them off later when you're happy.
Note: if you want, cover the black bracket on the throttle shaft or your pliers with tape so you don't rub off the black paint that will be facing downwards that nobody will ever see anyway.
I pulled the spring tighter so that the extra length that I cut off was ~half inch. It's not tremendously stiffer at the pedal, but at least you can feel it.

When you're done there's no extra spring, everything's stock, nothing looks disturbed.