PDA

View Full Version : Changing vehicle registrations to Florida

repiV
07-27-2018, 08:06 PM
Well I finally got my Iowa drivers license changed to Florida this week and while I was there I asked about getting my vehicle registrations changed over to Florida....what a PITA this is going to be unless you guys have an easier way.

They said I have to take the vehicle with the title to them so they can verify the VIN and mileage. That means I'll have to make 5 or 6 trips up there...get a number and wait to process each one...seriously?? I doubt if I can even get them all done in one full day. Is there any way around this?

The other crappy thing is they said for anything I've bought within the last six months I have to pay Florida sales tax on it?? After I already paid sales tax in Iowa..?? If that's really the case then it would be cheaper to renew the plates in Iowa for another year and register that one in Florida after I've had it six months.

Not to mention the extra $200 fee per plate for a first time registration on top of the title and registration fees......this is gonna be expensive!!

viperman4125
07-28-2018, 06:07 AM
Well I finally got my Iowa drivers license changed to Florida this week and while I was there I asked about getting my vehicle registrations changed over to Florida....what a PITA this is going to be unless you guys have an easier way.

They said I have to take the vehicle with the title to them so they can verify the VIN and mileage. That means I'll have to make 5 or 6 trips up there...get a number and wait to process each one...seriously?? I doubt if I can even get them all done in one full day. Is there any way around this?

The other crappy thing is they said for anything I've bought within the last six months I have to pay Florida sales tax on it?? After I already paid sales tax in Iowa..?? If that's really the case then it would be cheaper to renew the plates in Iowa for another year and register that one in Florida after I've had it six months.

Not to mention the extra $200 fee per plate for a first time registration on top of the title and registration fees......this is gonna be expensive!!

Welcome to Florida!- Some people never change plates, just saying!

MoparBoyy
07-28-2018, 06:22 AM
What area you moving to? I don’t go to the dmv for plates/title. There is a title office near my work and that’s all they do. There is never a wait. When I moved from another state I also had to bring the vehicles in for them to look at it. It was annoying but o well.

LATAMUD
07-28-2018, 01:13 PM
I left Ohio back in 2012, I still renew my plates in Ohio every year because I can do it online for $35.

ViperSRT
07-28-2018, 06:58 PM
Bet even with the $200 the plates are still cheaper than Michigan. I plan to change at the earliest opportunity. MI plates for the 2017 are $610 every year!

repiV
07-28-2018, 09:47 PM
Thanks guys. Gives me some things to think about..... Right now I have a rental in Holiday which is Pasco county and there's a satellite tax office that does plates and registrations and CCW and all so I don't have to go all the way to the courthouse but it's still a busy place. Can't imagine how long it would take to make 5 or 6 trips up there and wait my turn each time plus the trips back and forth. No way I could get them done in a full day. It will be even more trips if I have to do it with my Camper, car hauler, boat and off-road toys! LOL

lmn
07-30-2018, 03:16 PM
The Sheriff's office does the VIN/Mileage verification for free and they do come to your house. Just get the appropriate form for each vehicle from the DMV and call the non-emergency number of the Sheriff's Office. As far as taxes go, I believe you only have to pay the difference in tax if there is one.

repiV
07-30-2018, 06:28 PM
The Sheriff's office does the VIN/Mileage verification for free and they do come to your house. Just get the appropriate form for each vehicle from the DMV and call the non-emergency number of the Sheriff's Office. As far as taxes go, I believe you only have to pay the difference in tax if there is one.

That's great news!! I kept thinking there HAD to be an easier way!! I'll give that a shot. THANKS!!!

And you are right about the sales tax. If you bought it less than six months ago (which still makes no sense to me) you have to pay the difference. Iowa is 5% sales tax on vehicles and it's 6% here in this county so I'd have to pay the 1% or $300 in the case of my new truck because that was the trade difference......SILLY!!

ViperPete
07-31-2018, 07:43 AM
You can have a local police officer verify the VIN and mileage as well. The florida DMV can send you the document so that you can get it registred/titled. That's what I had to do when i bought my 1969 Mustang. It wasn't drive-able at the time so I had a popo come to the house.

Old Surfer
07-31-2018, 06:08 PM
You can make an appointment. Go online. You don't have to wait. I changed over everything, DLs, tags, registrations and titles and did not have to wait. Made an appointment and I went right through. Brought both my cars there, the tag clerk walked out the back door to the rear parking lot, checked the vin and mileage and I was done. Although I brought a stack of paperwork, including my marriage license. They wouldn't accept my wife's Maryland DL as proof of her name.

I made an appointment first, they told me everything I needed, made another appointment brought all of the necessary documents and was out of there in less than an hour. 5 minute wait both times. Pay with a check, they charge a fee if you use a debit or CC card. Also, try to find a tax collector's office (yep that's what they call it in Florida) that isn't that busy. A smaller satellite office is best.

Old Surfer
07-31-2018, 06:25 PM
Welcome to Florida!- Some people never change plates, just saying!Florida law requires that you get Florida tags 30 days after you become a resident. If the law pulls you over and determines you should have Florida tags, they can impound your vehicle. How do you keep it insured driving around Florida with out of state plates? Is your insurance carrier aware that the vehicle is permanently located and being driven in a state that doesn't coincide with where the vehicle is insured?

repiV
07-31-2018, 08:02 PM
You can make an appointment. Go online. You don't have to wait. I changed over everything, DLs, tags, registrations and titles and did not have to wait. Made an appointment and I went right through. Brought both my cars there, the tag clerk walked out the back door to the rear parking lot, checked the vin and mileage and I was done. Although I brought a stack of paperwork, including my marriage license. They wouldn't accept my wife's Maryland DL as proof of her name.

I made an appointment first, they told me everything I needed, made another appointment brought all of the necessary documents and was out of there in less than an hour. 5 minute wait both times. Pay with a check, they charge a fee if you use a debit or CC card. Also, try to find a tax collector's office (yep that's what they call it in Florida) that isn't that busy. A smaller satellite office is best.

I hear ya but that doesn't work if you have a total of 8 vehicles to change over. I can't get them all there at once and even making appointments....assuming I knew how long each would take with driving back and forth...I doubt it could be done in a full day.

I'll get the paperwork together and call the Sheriff and see about them coming to the house to do the verification....then I can make and appointment to go in and get them all processed. I may spread them out a little anyway due to the frikin' cost.

repiV
07-31-2018, 08:11 PM
Florida law requires that you get Florida tags 30 days after you become a resident. If the law pulls you over and determines you should have Florida tags, they can impound your vehicle. How do you keep it insured driving around Florida with out of state plates? Is your insurance carrier aware that the vehicle is permanently located and being driven in a state that doesn't coincide with where the vehicle is insured?

You can be a resident of one state and legally have vehicles registered in another state.....people do it all the time legally and I may end up going that route for awhile at least. Still weighing my options since it's such an expensive PITA.

ViperSRT
07-31-2018, 09:37 PM
We have kept 2 cars in FL for over 4 years, but kept MI plates and insurance. Not sure how long is needed to register and all so haven’t tried. Ours is a vacation home to date. In a few years we will switch which house is the homestead to save taxes. But that is several years off. I discussed with my insurance carrier and they didn’t have a problem with it.

99RT10
07-31-2018, 09:43 PM
I would leave them registered in your old state until you are forced to change. Too much of PIA.

Old Surfer
08-01-2018, 07:43 AM
We have kept 2 cars in FL for over 4 years, but kept MI plates and insurance. Not sure how long is needed to register and all so haven’t tried. Ours is a vacation home to date. In a few years we will switch which house is the homestead to save taxes. But that is several years off. I discussed with my insurance carrier and they didn’t have a problem with it.I understand that your home of record is not Florida, so yes it's not a problem to keep the cars registered to your state and drive them down here. My statement was when and if you become a permanent resident and make Florida your official home of record (homestead, etc) is when you will likely need to make all the registration, tag, DL, title changes. Until then, leave it be.