PDA

View Full Version : Femco quick drain

Lost me beer
06-29-2018, 04:41 PM
Spent some time searching here and google but can't find any good reviews of this oil quick drain system. Anyone have this and like (trust) it? Was thinking ahead for my oil change at the end of season and came across this at billswebspace while researching speaker upgrading. Looks like a nice unit, but know nothing about it. First off, is this really needed or is it a waste of dead presidents?
For my '16 GT.
Thanks.
Troy

SA Heat
06-29-2018, 06:40 PM
Oil changes are so easy on all Viper generations, I can't see why something like that would be necessary. Loosen drain bolt, drain oil, replace drain bolt, and tighten.

Lost me beer
06-29-2018, 07:02 PM
Thanks. Haven't had a chance to venture under her and was just curious if this would save pulling more panels or save a mess.
Troy

SA Heat
06-29-2018, 07:12 PM
Thanks. Haven't had a chance to venture under her and was just curious if this would save pulling more panels or save a mess.
Troy

Just make sure you have a BIG drain pan....you'll be draining almost 3 gallons. Also, there's an overly-complicated Gen 5 oil change thread in the How-To section in case you haven't seen it yet.

Lost me beer
06-29-2018, 10:59 PM
Yea, my last car was more than 2 gal ('14 Mustang GT trackpac) so I have a big pan. I will hunt through the threads when the time comes to drain.
Troy

supersnake
06-30-2018, 09:20 AM
We Use these in the Heavy Industry, Very handy for changing oil, Remove the cap and screw on hose and let drain into your container. If by chance your container is to small you can loosen the hose and the oil flow stops. When your done screw the cap back on and tighten. Very handy as we change oil out in the field where oil spills are documented and zero tolerance. Its a Great product

AZTVR
06-30-2018, 10:12 AM
I hadn't seen one of these before. I can see how it could make oil change a little more convenient, especially if you are changing oil every 6 months as FCA requires on the Gen V.

Matt M, Pa
07-01-2018, 06:17 AM
I do not have a pic handy, but I have been using Fumoto valves on my daily cars for years. An easy find with a on-line search, but it's bascailly a 1/4 turn valve. My last daily driver had one for 100,000 miles with no trouble. I've yet to put on a Viper...but have been considering it. If for no other reason, to avoid potentially stripped the drain plug threads.

sharmut
07-02-2018, 02:01 AM
"every 6 months as FCA requires on the Gen V."
I have never heard that before?

Suspect, referring to the maintenance manual.

AZTVR
07-02-2018, 10:58 AM
"every 6 months as FCA requires on the Gen V."

I have never heard that before?

Suspect, referring to the maintenance manual.

More importantly, see below text from the owner's manual. And even more importantly, an owner of a 2016 on FB said a few days ago that FCA denied warranty coverage in May for his engine failure because he had only one documented oil change in 7800 miles. He had to pay to have the engine replaced; but says that he did get FCA to "goodwill" the new engine.

Owner's manual statement, which is emphasized in bold letters in the manual:

"NOTE: Under no circumstances should oil change intervals
exceed 6,000 miles (10 000 km) or six months, whichever comes first.
CAUTION!
Failure to perform the required maintenance items
may result in damage to the vehicle."

Lemay88
07-02-2018, 07:51 PM
While in the oil change topic.
Here in Canada, I only drive my '97 RT 6 months a year and I do about 5000km a year. I've always wondered when is the best time to do the engine oil change...meaning:

Should I do my oil change right after my driving season (and keep new oil in the engine pan)???
Or should I do my oil change in spring right before the driving season???

LmeaViper
07-07-2018, 10:08 AM
Did lots of reading back when I had my Cobra and it is best to do the oil change at the end of the season.

ViperJon
07-07-2018, 10:44 AM
Did lots of reading back when I had my Cobra and it is best to do the oil change at the end of the season.

Okay, I’ll bite. Why?

Lost me beer
07-08-2018, 09:52 PM
Thanks for all the info on this piece. Think I may get one for the hell of it.
Troy