PDA

View Full Version : GenV (possibly Gen3/4?) racing brakes, who wants them?

mjorgensen
02-17-2014, 09:22 AM
Feeler...

If there were a kick butt 6 piston 2 piece front 15" rotor set up with a re sized 4 piston 2 piece 14" rotor racing brake system that was designed specifically for the Gen5 Viper, S.S. lines and race pads, (possibly retrofit to the Gen3/4 based on wheel selection), how many of you would be willing to spend the money (approx. $6500?) for a dedicated race brake upgrade? Oh and yes the color would be exclusive to the Viper!

FLATOUT
02-17-2014, 09:27 AM
Voted yes because I want to see the option out there, but would I buy it at $6500? No

I just can't make myself drop that much coin on brakes unless it was on a full time track car. A better low cost option for my taste (just my opinion I know not everyone else here shares it :)) is the racingbrake bigger ACRX sized rotors with larger pads, and SS brake lines.

By no means do I feel it's over priced these are very expensive parts and I know they aren't cheap.

IndyRon
02-17-2014, 09:46 AM
I posted in the other forum, but please find a way to bring reasonably priced carbon ceramic rotors to the Viper platform. Is there no way to retrofit the ZR1/Brembo rotors with a different aluminum hat for our platform? Because that design is used on both the Corvette and Ferrari, prices have to be reasonable (relatively speaking). It's ridiculous that the Viper platform is saddled with old tech when you can get ceramics on a Camaro.

ACRucrazy
02-17-2014, 10:26 AM
I posted in the other forum, but please find a way to bring reasonably priced carbon ceramic rotors to the Viper platform. Is there no way to retrofit the ZR1/Brembo rotors with a different aluminum hat for our platform? Because that design is used on both the Corvette and Ferrari, prices have to be reasonable (relatively speaking). It's ridiculous that the Viper platform is saddled with old tech when you can get ceramics on a Camaro.

I am on the same page you are. While I don't like the initial price they were saying of $10,000 a few years ago, I would have to think the price has come down by now.

On a related note, anyone know what the stock Viper calipers weigh? Is there room for reasonable improvement there?

TooBlue
02-17-2014, 03:27 PM

:t1236:.....

mjorgensen
02-17-2014, 03:43 PM
Here is some of the reasons why they are not interested in doing carbon systems;

There are several problems with Carbon that I have heard from brake manufacturers:

First – most OE applications you see out there are carbon ceramic. They require a much larger caliper and pad area. Most cars run 19” front and 20” rear to accommodate them.

Second – In race conditions (or track conditions), you can exceed the max rotor temperatures and expose the rotors to oxidation. The rotor life is killed and the cost of replacement parts is not acceptable to wealthy owners. (Porsche GT# guys are changing to two piece iron rotors for their track cars).

If it was just pure racing, we could go to carbon/carbon rotors/pads. This is different since both are consumables and the entire system/car can be designed to realize the desired results. The cost to run is very high and wouldn’t work for a street/track application.

I’m of the opinion most car companies offer CCM’s to get weight out of the car, but for real track day enthusiasts, it winds up costing much more to maintain and the benefit is not as great as you would expect.