PDA

View Full Version : Good deal

Whiplash
06-10-2018, 05:03 PM
I'm interested in a gts blue 13 viper gts... Has 19,700 miles on it. Seller stated " absolutely 0 mechanical issues", completely stock, never tracked, autocrossed, or taken to strip. He is selling for $78,500. Seller lives 350 miles from me, so I'd be unable to really check it out ahead of time and would be taking his word for everything.

Everyone think this is a good deal? I've never bought a car from a third party... Not to mention being unable to check the vehicle out prior to purchase and am somewhat naive here.

I feel like the price is good but the distance concerns me a little. What does everyone think here?

99RT10
06-10-2018, 05:06 PM
DO NOT buy a car without seeing it in person. I would also get a PPI at a recommended dealership. $78K is a lot to drop only to find out you bought one that got wrecked.

Whiplash
06-10-2018, 05:14 PM
DO NOT buy a car without seeing it in person. I would also get a PPI at a recommended dealership. $78K is a lot to drop only to find out you bought one that got wrecked.

What is a PPI?

Policy Limits
06-10-2018, 05:24 PM
Pre purchase inspection. Also need a car fax and ensure recalls were done. 2013 was really a hit or miss year.

RedTanRT/10
06-10-2018, 05:25 PM
Pre purchase inspection

swexlin
06-10-2018, 05:40 PM
Agree PPI.

Check oil cooler lines - probably seeping already, if they haven't been replaced once. (Mine started way sooner than that). Check window regulators, and if possible, listen for rear diff whine, and/or clunkiness. These are the most common issues on these Gen 5s.

And like Policy said, make sure recalls done, especially R28/29. If the car passed, it has the extended powertrain warranty.

Bruce H.
06-10-2018, 06:01 PM
You'll have to explain how 350 miles is an insurmountable distance to travel to check out such an important purchase. Drive there with a friend and see the car on Day 1 and have the PPI booked to do the next morning if you like it. You could have it paid for by noon if it checks out and have it home well before sunset.

Whiplash
06-10-2018, 06:27 PM
Thanks all for the input, I appreciate it!

Whiplash
06-10-2018, 06:40 PM
Thanks all for the input, I appreciate it!

ACRSNK
06-10-2018, 07:24 PM
Check out the launch edition on here. Not too much more than the one you are looking at and it seems to be pretty nice.

sadil
06-10-2018, 08:00 PM
350 miles is nothing. Go check it out. Worth the effort.

SirHiss
06-10-2018, 08:08 PM
I agree with ACRSNK the launch editions are same color setup your talking about but special edition and there’s one on here for a great deal and looked to be stellar condition and I believe there is still one on eBay and LA craigslist that is great looking minus curb rash on one wheel and it was buy it now for 79k on eBay last week...

I would recommend one of those. Plus both of them had less miles than the one you mentioned by a pretty substantial amount

RdyPlr1
06-10-2018, 10:47 PM
You'll have to explain how 350 miles is an insurmountable distance to travel to check out such an important purchase. Drive there with a friend and see the car on Day 1 and have the PPI booked to do the next morning if you like it. You could have it paid for by noon if it checks out and have it home well before sunset.

Completely agree with Bruce.. 350 miles is nothing.. I do think that price is TOO high for a 13' with 20,000 miles on it.

Taximan1
06-11-2018, 12:44 AM
Check out the launch edition on here. Not too much more than the one you are looking at and it seems to be pretty nice.

Exactly.... about 1/3rd the miles, for $85k, which is a deal. Car looks beautiful. For $7k diff. that's kind of an easy call, no...?

Anrosphynx
06-11-2018, 11:22 AM
I talked with the guy you are looking to buy from. Seems like he took pretty good care of the vehicle. But his mileage is a bit high. As others have said, you can find a lower mileage example for almost the same price.

swexlin
06-11-2018, 11:59 AM
Maybe it's just me, but the higher mileage (19,000 mile is high???) means that you're probably past the "danger zone". Most, if not all, of the engine failures of which I'm aware came at lower miles. To each his own.

cubeman
06-11-2018, 12:13 PM
Maybe it's just me, but the higher mileage (19,000 mile is high???) means that you're probably past the "danger zone". Most, if not all, of the engine failures of which I'm aware came at lower miles. To each his own.

Funny enough I thought I was passed the danger zone, Someone on the FB group reported failure in the low 20k's. I'm at 21k miles on mine and still worried. I thrash mine though so if it was going to, it should have by now. If this is 19,500 miles of just casual driving then it's possible the motor can still grenade.

mackzilla
06-11-2018, 12:35 PM
never tracked, autocrossed, or taken to strip

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/legomessageboards/images/0/09/BackingAway-1.gif/revision/latest?cb=20140712032350

Vipes
06-11-2018, 12:48 PM
Does it still have warranty? Not sure why people even care about mechanical condition if it gets fixed for free, maybe some don’t understand that. I’d just want to check for cosmetic blemishes and check for any signs of paint/repair work. The Vipers I bought were 1,000-2,000 miles away, all from private parties. I just ask for high res photos and explanations of any inperfections. They ended up being mint and I just paid when I got there. You’ll just have to hope the seller is honest and take the gamble of wasting a day or two of travel. Price seems a tad high to me for a 2013 but it’s summer time and prices seem to be increasing lately.

swexlin
06-11-2018, 01:05 PM
Funny enough I thought I was passed the danger zone, Someone on the FB group reported failure in the low 20k's. I'm at 21k miles on mine and still worried. I thrash mine though so if it was going to, it should have by now. If this is 19,500 miles of just casual driving then it's possible the motor can still grenade.

Ok, you burst my bubble! I'm not quite at 13,000 miles on my car!

ViperPete
06-11-2018, 02:33 PM
Make the drive.

Hawk
06-11-2018, 05:49 PM
I would take a look at the launch edition it seems like a better deal less miles and its wrapped with a Xpel Ultimate, have an inspection of the vehicle if you can’t make it out there

ViperDC
06-12-2018, 11:23 AM
I'm interested in a gts blue 13 viper gts... Has 19,700 miles on it. Seller stated " absolutely 0 mechanical issues", completely stock, never tracked, autocrossed, or taken to strip. He is selling for $78,500. Seller lives 350 miles from me, so I'd be unable to really check it out ahead of time and would be taking his word for everything.

Everyone think this is a good deal? I've never bought a car from a third party... Not to mention being unable to check the vehicle out prior to purchase and am somewhat naive here.

I feel like the price is good but the distance concerns me a little. What does everyone think here?

nothing special.

One just sold with under 1k miles for $77k including fees at Bonhams CT sale

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24810/lot/197/?category=results&length=90&page=2

$85k for the one on here is high and $78.5k for one with almost 20k is way high

FrankBarba
06-12-2018, 12:08 PM
They all look alike. this bonhams car looks like my 96. remember i said looks..

Taximan1
06-12-2018, 12:21 PM
nothing special.

One just sold with under 1k miles for $77k including fees at Bonhams CT sale

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24810/lot/197/?category=results&length=90&page=2

$85k for the one on here is high and $78.5k for one with almost 20k is way high

the Bonhams car is not reality.. give it a week or two, and I assure you that will pop up in a dealers inventory.

There was a low mile Launch Edition that just sold for $96,000 on ebay.. so that could be used as a comp also.

ViperDC
06-12-2018, 12:40 PM
the Bonhams car is not reality.. give it a week or two, and I assure you that will pop up in a dealers inventory.

There was a low mile Launch Edition that just sold for $96,000 on ebay.. so that could be used as a comp also.

its reality bud, car traded hands

96k...LOL

love how people on these forum cream their pants over the ACR/TA that sold to some drunk idiot at barret for 200+ yet willfully ignore this car at 77 or the low mile Stryker Red that sold for 84 at mecum, etc

you cant just pick and choose which results fit your agenda. bottom line if you pay almost 80 for one of these with 20k miles youre not real with it. everything is a "great deal" to the guys on here but then the cars sit...and sit...and sit...when it comes time to get off the keyboard and show up with actual money

Taximan1
06-12-2018, 01:01 PM
Just so I understand.. the 77k is reality because it changed hands. BUT..... the Orange TA/ACR at $231k is "some drunk idiot" and not reality because what??? IT DIDNT change hands? lol. talk about agenda. The "drunk idiot" wrote a check for $231k, and I assure you it cleared.

Bottom line is, yes. There are killer deals to be had like the Stryker car, and the Bonhams car.... But there are also cars that sell through the roof also (TA/ACR). so you have to factor both in.. which one is "reality".. both? neither?

I'm all done here. good luck to the OP and hope you find one.

cubeman
06-12-2018, 01:07 PM
Bonhams was a mess, nothing was selling for what sellers wanted. One dude lost major cash on a bunch of his lots. Most of the interest was coming in on phones.

ViperDC
06-12-2018, 01:16 PM
Just so I understand.. the 77k is reality because it changed hands. BUT..... the Orange TA/ACR at $231k is "some drunk idiot" and not reality because what??? IT DIDNT change hands? lol. talk about agenda. The "drunk idiot" wrote a check for $231k, and I assure you it cleared.

Bottom line is, yes. There are killer deals to be had like the Stryker car, and the Bonhams car.... But there are also cars that sell through the roof also (TA/ACR). so you have to factor both in.. which one is "reality".. both? neither?

I'm all done here. good luck to the OP and hope you find one.

did I say it wasn't reality? You have trouble reading. The only guy who claimed something wasn't reality is you. Yes, while I am of the opinion that it was a drunk idiot because he paid about $40-50k more than any ACR has ever sold for before or since, the sale was real

All I'm saying is you can be patient and paying almost 80 for a car with 20k miles on it is stupid. And 85 for a car with 7k miles is pretty good, not a "great deal" considering we have seen what actual "great deals" look like. That said the 7k mile one listed on here looks like a very nice car. I'd buy that over the one mentioned by the OP in a heartbeat. Bet he'd take low 80s

Whiplash
06-12-2018, 05:11 PM
Been off here for a couple days, thanks everyone for the responses... Gives me a lot to think about. The blue launch edition does look nice, really nice. Not to sound like an idiot, but I don't want stripes and those wheels are not my taste. But I'm sure they are someone else's. Not putting that car down at all, because it looks phenomenal.

The 350 miles for the other is not too far at all, I just don't have the time right now... If it's still for sale in a month or so when I do have time, then I'll travel! I did reach out to John Gastman who sells Vipers at the Roanoke, IL dealership. Heard nothing but great things about him and that dealership. He's looking for me and knows much better than I what is a "good deal" on a Gen v viper.

Thanks all

Taximan1
06-12-2018, 06:35 PM
those wheels are not my taste.

I think the wheels on the launch edition are by far the biggest issue for many, and the reason these cars struggle on the resale side. .. Nothing a nice set of SWII's cant fix though. :-)

Anyway, best of luck in the search.