PDA

View Full Version : Oil Catch Can Newb Question

Treklife
05-06-2018, 06:44 PM
New Viper owner question. (I searched the forum with minimal results) I’ve read a little about the need for oil catch can (i’m driving 2013 GTS). What I don’t know is should i run both driver and passenger side or just passenger? I’m seeing a little conflicting info. Assuming non-vented? Spirited street driving only for now.... if anybody can provide some guidance it would be appreciated. I’m looking at the Doug Shelby Engineering version as I’ve found it in the threads here as a reliable and well crafted product/company. Thanks

SRT BILL
05-06-2018, 06:54 PM
I've installed Dougs closed can on the passenger side only. For the type of usage you've decribed that should be suffient.

SSGNRDZ_28
05-06-2018, 07:59 PM
My suggestion is unless you are tracking or want peace of mind you don't really need the driver side can but it won't hurt to have it. If you are tracking you definitely want dual cans for any year 13-17 because even after the recalls and in the later years oil has been found in the airbox on tracked cars. Most people go for the sealed version. Like Bill says you should be fine with the single sealed kit on the passenger side.

Thanks
Doug

kriskyk
05-06-2018, 08:24 PM
Under what circumstances would one use a vented setup?

Steve M
05-06-2018, 08:32 PM
Under what circumstances would one use a vented setup?

If you:

A. Don't mind the potential for smelling the fumes in the cabin
2. Want to make absolutely sure NO oil gets in the intake - even the best sealed system will still allow a small amount of oil vapors through the can and into the intake manifold.

I run a sealed catch can because my car spends 99.9% of its time on the street. I haven't thoroughly inspected my intake manifold to see if any oil is still getting through...maybe I should do that one of these days.

kriskyk
05-06-2018, 08:38 PM
then the crankase is is not being evacuated?

wouldn't that induce possible blow by at high RPMs especially with forged pistons?

Steve M
05-06-2018, 08:51 PM
then the crankase is is not being evacuated?

wouldn't that induce possible blow by at high RPMs especially with forged pistons?

With a sealed catch can, you'd still have the PCV valve in place - under vacuum, the valve is mostly shut, keeping you from pulling too much oil through the system, but yes, it does help pull out that excess pressure, with the hose from the air box providing the make-up air for whatever gets pulled out.

With a vented can, the PCV valve is removed, allowing the gases to go either way. In that case, the make-up air comes from the vent on the can, and you close off the clean air make-up coming from the air box. I'm not sure how effective this is at removing the harmful stuff in the crankcase, and there have been many debates in the past that running a vented catch can can cause your engine oil to break down sooner since you aren't pulling at least some vacuum on the system. I've never really seen anything quantified, but it made sense in my head.

No system is perfect...either you are pulling some amount of oil into your intake manifold just as the EPA would prefer, or you are not pulling a vacuum on the crankcase to fully evacuate the blowby that does occur. Pick your poison I suppose.

About the only way you might be able to determine an effect would be to do an series of oil analyses running both kinds of catch cans, but that'd be an expensive experiment.

kriskyk
05-06-2018, 08:56 PM
Any thoughts on using a vacuum pump?

heir not too much more over the dual can setups offered...

Steve M
05-06-2018, 09:06 PM
Any thoughts on using a vacuum pump?

heir not too much more over the dual can setups offered...

The vacuum pumps I've seen are belt driven, and I generally shy away from anything requiring me (or someone else) to re-engineer the accessory drive on a modern, street driven vehicle. Then you'd have to figure out how much vacuum you'd want to pull...again, unless someone out there with deep pockets can fork out the money for the testing required to figure out the sweet spot for your exact application, you could end up doing more harm than good.

Personally, I'd pass, but that's just me.

theviper
05-06-2018, 09:41 PM
What are all the oil catch can options that are still available for Gen V's? I've been putting it off for a while, but I guess most people think it's a good idea.

Steve M
05-06-2018, 09:44 PM
What are all the oil catch can options that are still available for Gen V's? I've been putting it off for a while, but I guess most people think it's a good idea.

DSE offers a kit with many different options - it is non-invasive (i.e. you can put it back to stock without a trace), and includes everything you need.

You can always put one together yourself, but by the time you get done putting everything together, you'll end up being at about the same price, and you'll have wasted a lot of time in the process.

IHOP
05-06-2018, 09:45 PM
I have the Dual Closed Can setup but I track my car often. I went with Doug Shelby's version he quality and craftsmanship is topnotch on everything he makes. As you can see he is a great person to ask for advice because he won't sell you something that you don't need, obvious by his post. I often time find oil in my passenger side even just with street driving.

kriskyk
05-06-2018, 09:54 PM
Yea Doug makes great products I have a bunch of his goods already....

Ill through another one into the mix, any thoughts on header evac systems? My be a great way to kill 2 bird's with one Stone....

theviper
05-06-2018, 10:28 PM
Doug's can seems top notch. I may need 4-6 of them. At $400 each, a little pricey. What do you all think of the cans that fit other tracked cars? They should work on the Viper as well. They are usually $50-$100 each.

sharmut
05-06-2018, 11:19 PM
I run the dual can setup from Doug and have found small amounts of oil in the Driver's side can. I'm sure you can easily find other cans that function just as well as the DSE. For $400, you get a well designed package with great components that fits nicely in the Viper engine compartment.

Treklife
05-07-2018, 09:42 AM
Great discussion and thanks to all. ^^^^ this is why I posted here, to get the real download vs conjecture. I'm going with the single catch can on the passenger side. My time is too valuable to create a hybrid assembly of parts that "might" work vs going with a proven product (DSE) with the click of a keyboard. Glad to be in good company here on the forums.

IHOP
05-07-2018, 11:31 AM
Great discussion and thanks to all. ^^^^ this is why I posted here, to get the real download vs conjecture. I'm going with the single catch can on the passenger side. My time is too valuable to create a hybrid assembly of parts that "might" work vs going with a proven product (DSE) with the click of a keyboard. Glad to be in good company here on the forums.

You won't regret your decision!