PDA

View Full Version : What would it take to get you into a GenV? Really

mjorgensen
10-28-2013, 05:41 PM
I would like to ask a hypothetical question and request that there be (NO discussion) on this thread. If you could have (1) thing done/changed to the GenV to make you more likely to purchase one what would it be, and we are not discussing price here. Please make your answers short, the more answers I get the better it could be used so tell your freinds to chime in if they have an opinion to share.

eucharistos
10-28-2013, 06:13 PM
unlock-able pcm

ROKTMAN
10-28-2013, 06:15 PM
unlock-able pcm ^^^ What he said.

MKALSABAH
10-28-2013, 06:17 PM
I would like to ask a hypothetical question and request that there be (NO discussion) on this thread. If you could have (1) thing done/changed to the GenV to make you more likely to purchase one what would it be, and we are not discussing price here. Please make your answers short, the more answers I get the better it could be used so tell your freinds to chime in if they have an opinion to share.

better reviews

V10LEE
10-28-2013, 06:19 PM
Bigger brakes( CCs would be nice),and bring back the KW two way adjustable coilover shocks..

Space Truckin
10-28-2013, 06:42 PM
unlockable pcm, cf brakes

plumcrazy
10-28-2013, 06:44 PM
i would never consider it without being able to tune it.

J TNT
10-28-2013, 06:47 PM
The option for power adders ! :fpopcorn:

XSnake
10-28-2013, 07:00 PM
GTS-R looking front

blk_fxstc
10-28-2013, 07:17 PM
More aggressive styling not following an updated gen II

Troublemaker
10-28-2013, 07:33 PM
Actually being able to order the car the way I want. Think of a car along the lines of a Lotus Exige. Get rid of all the interior crap, the more bare bones, the better. CC brakes would be a nice addition. Let me buy it with steel wheels and four donuts instead of getting stuck with the only tire they could get. Make B&W an every day option. The computer has to be tunable, it's a deal breaker. If they really could get rid of all the interior fluff and actually drop the price accordingly, I would definitely consider it. I miss the days when you could order the car you want, not the packages the factory put together.

I guess I am more performance minded and less luxury minded.

SmoknTires
10-28-2013, 07:45 PM
Paddle shift.

Chorps
10-28-2013, 07:51 PM
ACR that will stand its ground against the P1 and 918 at a fraction of the price.

FLATOUT
10-28-2013, 08:02 PM
Unlocked ECU, and a track version. I really like it now but want to see the aftermarket get involved with the Viper again.

VoodooRob
10-28-2013, 08:06 PM
Dealer support

Simms
10-28-2013, 08:45 PM
I think unlocking the PCM or giving us tuning options would go a long way.

A Mopar controller at minimum.

ViperTony
10-28-2013, 08:53 PM
Unlocked and tun-able PCM, aggressive styling of the GTS-R race car for starters.

BlknBlu
10-28-2013, 09:13 PM
I like it just the way it is, however marketing and rollout to dealers needs to change.

Bruce

Wheelman
10-28-2013, 09:20 PM
Order of importance:

1: fix dyno and drag race bugs
2: pricepoint, make a core model <$100k realistic with a few options for "all go, no show" people like myself
3: tunability/modability

VENOM V
10-28-2013, 09:24 PM
If I were to get another Gen V, it would be an ACR. For the ACR, I'm assuming the Gen IV as a starting point and then some. For me, I would want an ACR to have:

1. High performance shocks, something like the magnetic ride control in the Vettes and Ferraris
2. Carbon ceramic brakes

Sorry, couldn't resist making two suggestions!

ViperSmith
10-28-2013, 09:29 PM
I think an option to paint any color you want would be fantastic.

Prefix can do it, make it happen.

Newport Viper
10-28-2013, 09:36 PM
What would it take to get you into a GenV? Really....

Convertible! (& 700 HP) See the fun this guy is having > :smileys-car-driving

Alex Mills
10-28-2013, 09:43 PM
Honestly the lack of a convertible option and the high price are the only things stopping me from wanting one.

RSNAKE
10-28-2013, 10:16 PM
Either an ACR or a convertible

WhiteSnake
10-28-2013, 11:48 PM
GT3-R look-a-like for the street. <---(ACR???)

Fatboy 18
10-29-2013, 03:43 AM
GT3-R look-a-like for the street. <---(ACR???)

^^^THIS^^^

And trying to work out a way of reducing the Tax import costs to the UK.

mjorgensen
10-29-2013, 08:36 AM
Thank you all for the honest and respectful feedback, please keep it up, even if you are repeating something already posted. The more individual responses the better since a lot of times it is just a few on the forums that are really vocal.

viperdan
10-29-2013, 08:55 AM
Somehow redesign the door openings to make it easier for us big guys to get in and out.

v10enomous
10-29-2013, 09:04 AM
2010 pricing plus a loyalty discount. Full stripes on the base models.

Scott Mannny
10-29-2013, 09:14 AM
I already have my race car, but as soon as they release the convertible, I'll get one. Just waiting now...........................

Copmagnet
10-29-2013, 10:24 AM
If you want honesty, for me, you cannot exclude price. It's literally the most significant factor holding me back from purchasing. And no, I don't think a base model SRT is worth the money difference to upgrade from my modded Gen. IV. The items that I've always wanted to upgrade exist on the GTS. The price of admission to this level of car, especially options pricing rivaling Porsche, is what's causing me to not purchase.

Value is another factor. We all know purchases of our toys are not the best investments, but with the current overall perception of all the "wrong" going on with the Viper, i.e. poor sales, consistently bad reviews, aftermarket mod availability and its future, I shudder at the thought of spending $120k+ on it. However, even if the negativity surrounding the Gen V did not exist, I would still struggle with value of that price on a Viper.

Do I want other solitary improvements that are being listed off by others here such as unlocking the computer for tuning and mods? Absolutely, but they are not what’s holding me back from buying a Gen. V. It's the opportunity cost of choosing it over my other options, for the same money that is.

My suggestion? Bring the price down by killing off the model designations like the GTS. Let the buyer decide their price point of purchase by being able to select from all options that currently exist. And i'm talking about reasonably priced options as well. Full stripe pricing and both carbon fiber packages currently offered are ridiculous in my opinion.

Sorry for the long post, I had more to say then I intended.

SWEEN
10-29-2013, 01:28 PM
I'm not in the market to buy one but in about 3 years I will be.

In order to get sales up it has to go back to being a Niche Car. All these luxurious options aren't helping sell the car because it is not impressing the Niche Market and it is not taking buyers away from grand touring cars or your Lamborghini/Ferrari Crowd. The Gen 3/4 was heavily criticized for its interior because they didn't even try. They took the radio straight out of a grand caravan. The Gen V needed a better interior but doesn't need all the luxurious materials and screens. This is suppose to be a VIPER! A cup holder shouldn't even be in the car. Make the Viper feel cool to be in, but no need to have 30 thousand dollar interior options. And to make matters worse they don't even have options most buyers are interested in, like Alcantara on the steering wheel. Speaking of options theres not that many options that customers want. Theres no Carbon Ceramic Brakes, No DCT. I'm not a fan of Dual Clutch but the people that spend 150K on cars are! Look at any car brand DCT is selling like crazy over a manual transmission. SRT is wasting Research costs for things that no viper buyer cared about. Like why is there launch control for a manual transmission? How much money was wasted developing that? Save the money for research cost for Engine upgrades. The Viper needs its bragging rights back! Yes the car has plenty of horsepower, it needs more horsepower strictly to be able to say it has more horsepower/torque. Always been a selling point about the viper. They need to let the aftermarket companies be able to tune the car as well.

I've followed the viper so I was a kid and this is the first time ever in my life that I honestly feel that its not the best car on the market. Chevrolet and Corvette are absolutely killing it. I have never thought in my life that I would by a z06 over a viper but how good Chevy is doing I'm highly leaning towards just saving my money for the next z06.

Like this thread is sad to begin with. Why should this even be a question. I like the Gen V alot but its a sad era for vipers. Viper needs to get back on top

Back In Black
10-29-2013, 10:27 PM
Remove all the electronic gadgetry. Return to analog gauges and give me a throttle with a cable attached. Not possible due to Government meddling I know, but that's what it would take.

ACRucrazy
10-30-2013, 01:35 AM
More performance per dollar and a meaner car. I really like the Gen V, I think it looks sexy as hell. But I am unsure if I could spend tens of thousands of dollars to get a newer car that is even more locked down with less goodies than the Gen IV ACR. Also more color options would be nice.

Troublemaker
10-30-2013, 10:20 AM
I have said it before and will say it again, this should be a custom ordered car where the buyer gets to purchase the way options used to be purchased, seperately. Everything should be available individually. Offer a stripped down version for whatever you can get it down to and make it all options. I for one don't want to pay for any of the extras that don't add anything to performance. I am one fence when it comes to a new toy, so it needs to be a gotta have it type thing.

JaysSRT10
10-30-2013, 11:05 AM
For me 2 things needed for me to get into a GenV

1. To win the power ball
or
2. Win the Mega-Millions

Westxsrt10
10-30-2013, 11:17 AM
Full stripes on a base model SRT for $95k.

v10enomous
10-30-2013, 11:52 AM
Full stripes on a base model SRT for $95k.

The fang stripes are not bad but the full stripes are much more desirable. They should also start pumping out some center band base model cars with the aero package. When do the loyalty discounts begin on the cars in stock ? SRT needs to discount those cars and rethink the packaging of future builds.

Eachey51
10-30-2013, 03:10 PM
It would take $123,135

mjorgensen
10-30-2013, 03:12 PM
It would take $123,135

So your post is really, nothing it is perfect?

Eachey51
10-30-2013, 05:36 PM
Let me know when they build a perfect car! But if i had that money i would have a genV! I think its as good as they could realisticly build and its the prettiest car built right now! And its damn fast!

Russ Oasis
11-02-2013, 04:18 PM
More aggressive styling not following an updated gen II

What he said.

KRATEDISEASE
11-03-2013, 01:12 AM
it would ONLY take

1) more HP...(700+)
2) and a paddle shifter

At this price point the Nissan GTR has more technology, and it also does not sell in huge numbers, but Nissan still made the investment in a paddle transmission.

Shooter
11-03-2013, 06:11 AM
700-750 HP ACR.
Then I might be willing to upgrade. As it sit's now, the Gen V is not a performance upgrade over my Gen IV ACR.

I'm not even going to mention the out dated Gen II styling...oops I mentioned it.

KRATEDISEASE
11-03-2013, 08:30 AM
Nissan GTR production numbers.
Calendar Year / Production

2008 1890
2009 1534
2010 877
2011 1294
2012 1442
Total 6,877

As a halo car, apparently the GT-R is a money looser for Nissan as I read on the internet (??) , and seemed to be affected by down turn in economy in 2010 ?

Interesting to see how the gen5 compares in sales over time.

Newport Viper
11-04-2013, 09:52 PM
Save some dough here ..... > http://www.getdodge.com/all-inventory/index.htm?search=viper

slitherv10
11-04-2013, 10:18 PM
Save some dough here ..... > http://www.getdodge.com/all-inventory/index.htm?search=viper

Shows the same red car in three different adds with three different prices...lol...

Mbccenter
11-05-2013, 07:02 AM
1) Paddle shift
2) 700 hp

SLViper
11-05-2013, 07:49 AM
700-750 HP ACR.
Then I might be willing to upgrade. As it sit's now, the Gen V is not a performance upgrade over my Gen IV ACR.

I'm not even going to mention the out dated Gen II styling...oops I mentioned it.
583584 (1) it has to be a convertible, even when (if) it is, I am not sure I can convince myself its worth a $60,000 bill to upgrade.(2) I love my 10 Vert, sorry. (I bet I am not alone on this)

slitherv10
11-05-2013, 07:54 AM
It's too funny looking at all the requests now that the car has been done.

Back in 2011-2012 apparently everyone polled at that time by SRT and the like, wanted creature comforts as the main missing link to the Viper Saga. Now, everyone wants more HP ( usually 700+) and performance. Just makes me laugh. I would bet (I'm a gambling man) that, all the people who asked for creature comforts are the same prople who are now complaining about the lack of HP and the ones who never eneded up buying the new Viper with those creature comforts.

I always stated, as have many on here at that time, that HP and performance is what got the Viper to this point and will always be the pillar that holds this car to its throne. Not the bells and whistles most had asked for and got to no avail of sold numbers. The Buggati Veyron is a million dollar+ auto and looks to many BLAH!!. yet it sold a few. Why...why?..not because of the styling that's for sure, but because of the HP and performance, right? Well isn't that the irony?

If you build it (again) it will come. More HP and performance enhancements, that actually work, and this car will once again be on top of the world. Period.

Spend all the money on those 2 items (HP and performance) and remove all the fine leather this, launch that and red stryker light up screen and bring this car down under 100,000 grand and watch them fly off the shelves.

Now don't get me wrong, this car is fantastic in every way. Better that any other Generation. That's a given. Now its time to leave the competition where we left it in the past Generations......FAR BEHIND....WAAAAY FAR BEHIND !! Not nipping at our heels.

700+ HP

TCurtner
10-20-2015, 05:21 PM
So now that it's been almost 2 years since the last response to this thread, can we answer again, now? Perspectives have certainly changed... Mostly i need more trade in value for my GenIV ACR to do it. What happened to the nice gentle depr. curve? Part of it i know is the time of year (next Spring, values will go back up somewhat) but dealers are offering me DISMAL trade-in. And even if i tried to sell it myself, the odds are against me right now...(if i was rich i wouldn't care, but.)

ViperJon
10-20-2015, 05:48 PM
Gen V trade in values are horrid, not sure why you would expect any Gen IV trade in to be much better. Dealers do NOT want to have hard to move inventory on their lots for many months.

v10enomous
10-20-2015, 06:05 PM
2010 pricing plus a loyalty discount. Full stripes on the base models.

Funny to look back on what I said 2 years ago and a year after I finally bought one. I probably did wind up paying a 2010 price or even less and while I did want a car with full stripes, I'm very happy with the car with the 6 vent hood and fang stripes and after painting the rear tail light panel. I'd love to be able to trade it in on a new 2016 extreme Bumble Bee ACR but that's a bridge too far.

sparkrn
10-20-2015, 09:10 PM
Waiting for the engine woes to subside then I'm in. Looks and sounds like there getting close.

FrgMstr
10-20-2015, 09:31 PM
Vert.

Jdmuscle
10-20-2015, 10:02 PM
Looking at some of the early responses and seeing what's offered in the ACR now... FCA has done just what everyone has been asking for.

Other items people asked for are
- sub 100k price... Yes available now.
- dedicated track model... Yes available now (TA & ACR)

Gen V is a winner in my books and hence I ended up with one after two years of pondering what to replace my C6Z with.

darbgnik
10-20-2015, 10:07 PM
Looking at some of the early responses and seeing what's offered in the ACR now... FCA has done just what everyone has been asking for.

Other items people asked for are
- sub 100k price... Yes available now.
- dedicated track model... Yes available now (TA & ACR)

Gen V is a winner in my books and hence I ended up with one after two years of pondering what to replace my C6Z with.

As well as order any color you want.

ViperSmith
10-20-2015, 10:16 PM
I think this sums it all up well

http://i.imgur.com/DtDHdjE.jpg

viper04
10-20-2015, 10:30 PM
WoW! so true.

Camfab
10-20-2015, 10:33 PM
The post is right, and if a million of them don't get sold, some day they will go through the roof. If I had the disposable income, no doubt I'd buy one. It's everything a Viper should be.

viperdriver5150
10-20-2015, 11:29 PM
The ability to drive more than one mile without the car blowing up.

Honestly, quality control issues, the absolute inconsistency between dealers and how they handle their customers and one dealer being ok with upgrades and the next dealer will void warranty without blinking.

Fatboy 18
10-21-2015, 04:03 AM
I will add something to this, International buyers would have no warranty outside of USA, no dealers in the UK could perform any warranty work. So if one bought a Gen V and it was to have any engine issues, you might as well just walk away from the car :(

Only other way would be to ship car back to USA! Not exactly inspiring :(

docwviper
10-21-2015, 08:20 AM
I have a list and sorry for the list. It is truly hard to pick one. This is an exceptional car as is right now. I'm on my third one, an ACR on order.

1. Need more advertising and media coverage - we need dedicated commercials to the viper to bring it back as the halo. Most of the country still doesn't know that it came back out. I've had people ask me what car is that? We need to get the word out 100x better.
2. It needs to be easier to get in and be in for bigger guys.
3. Adjustable seat switches that are easier to get to or make more space so the current location can work better.
4. Who wouldn't like more power? It seems all people care about are HP numbers and that seems to catch the medias attention so lets do it .
5. An RT/10 type model. Keep the lines of the body style with a factory RT/10 option. I'm not talking about the aftermarket prefix option either. A true factory option.

I personally enjoy the high end options and got a fully dipped demonic red interior and carbon fiber interior goodies. Leave these options and keep the base price lower. Ferrari does this and I see dodge heading in this direction which I personally think is a good think. The options are priced similar to Ferrari options but the reputation for the Viper doesn't exist. Hence the whole media coverage and advertising could really shed some light.

I Bin Therbefor
10-21-2015, 08:47 AM

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION. The ZF box behind the HellCat is fine. The GM box is also fine.

TheAnonymousOne
10-21-2015, 08:55 AM
1. Fix the rear end. When you compare the Gen II rear to the Gen V, the Gen V looks silly. The ass end is so high up in the air. It doesn't look very exotic or wide driving in front of you. I love everything else about the Gen V. The tailights need to be spaced out another few inches, they need to be fully flanked by deep vents, and the fenders need another 1.5" on each side to balance out the aggressive and wide front end. That is my biggest pet peeve with this car. You'd need to slam this thing 3" in order to get even close to the squatty look of a stock height Gen II coupe from the back. Aside from that, the Gen V is an impressive machine.

viper_eddie
10-21-2015, 10:25 AM
I personally think the Gen V is good enough for me as is...I'm just waiting until winter to see if prices go down a bit more.

HOWEVER, as far as the market goes I think it's missing 2 things to get it more sales: Convertible + Auto/DCT

ACR
10-21-2015, 10:47 AM
Can I get a hot model with the car? Don't tell my wife... Kidding.

Jokes aside, BETTER DEALER NETWORK. Educate them! Also make the experience special, shit I walk into a Porsche dealer and you are treated totally professionally, Dodge? Pff it's a joke.

lochnessmonster
10-21-2015, 10:48 AM
I apologize in advance. I will try to be brief.

1. I couldn't disagree more with the people who want the leather and amenities gone. I bought my GTS precisely for that reason. I'm not a track rat. I live in Canada, 300 miles from the nearest track, and although I would absolutely love taking my car on the track, it simply isn't practical for me. Furthermore, I would argue that it isn't practical for 99% of the automotive buying public, regardless of whether or not you reside in Canada, the U.S.A., or Europe. You want to rip out all the unnecessary amities yourself and turn the car into a full on race car? Go ahead. I'm a 45 year old professional, father, and husband, who wants to drive a car that reflects my current status in life. I'm not a 25 year old punk kid, nor am I a track rat. I want a car that reflects both sophistication and raw power. That is exactly what the Gen V Viper GTS is. I don't feel like I am driving an inferior product to a Ferrari, Lamborghini, BMW, Merc, or any other high end European sports car. My car will kick their ass in comfort: exactly as it should be. And when I chose to drive out to the coast to visit my folks (1000 miles/1600 km), which is a few times a year, I will do it in style.

2. Now, what would I change? The only thing I'd really like with this car is command start from the factory. For those of us who live up here in Canada, and of course those who live in similarly cold climates, it would be a welcome feature. I am still driving my Viper as we approach the end of October, but it is getting pretty cold out. Of course we want to squeeze every last bit of driving out of the season before the Viper goes into hibernation for the winter. It drops down to 0C/32F at night, and isn't much above 10C/50F during the day. To me it is absolutely critical that I don't drive the car before the oil temperature reaches a minimum of 50C/122F. That means that each time I get in my car I have to sit there and let it idle for about 5-10 minutes before I can drive it. It would be nice to fire it up from my office, or kitchen, like I do my Subaru WRX STi (winter car) and have the engine and cabin all nice a warm/ready to go when I get out there. To me, a luxury vehicle of this calibre should have this feature equipped from the factory, BUT, only on the GTS model of course. I'd hate to burden those who want a stripped down track car with an speed sapping feature like this. Clearly it would compromise 0.00000000000000000001 seconds off their lap times. ;)

Steve-Indy
10-21-2015, 01:14 PM
lochnessmonster, judging from the info below, you shouldn't drive you Viper even if it had command start:

Quoting from the Tire Rack site:

"TIRE TECH

Don't Drive Summer Performance Tires in Cold Temperatures

Whether you blame it on climate change, a polar vortex or what seems to be the beginning of the next ice age, there's no doubt recent weather patterns have exposed many drivers to freezing temperatures and wintery driving conditions. In anticipation of the next time Mother Nature extends her cold reach, drivers with vehicles equipped with summer performance tires need to know those tires are not designed for near- or below-freezing temperatures on clear roads, nor in slush, snow and ice.

When faced with near- and below-freezing temperatures, drivers should leave their summer performance tire-equipped vehicle at home and drive a vehicle equipped with all-season or winter tires.

Summer performance tires feature tread compounds engineered to provide traction in warm to hot ambient temperatures. They were never intended to experience near- and below-freezing temperatures, nor the wintry driving conditions that often accompany them.

As ambient temperatures get colder, typically in the 40-45° Fahrenheit range, summer performance tires lose a noticeable percentage of traction as their tread compound rubber properties change from a pliable elastic to inflexible plastic. The tire industry uses the term "glass transition" to describe the temperature where a summer performance tire's grip/slip performance changes dramatically. This means the summer performance tires that provide predictable traction in warm to hot conditions will be found to be very challenging to drive in cold to freezing temperatures. This is especially true when the tires first begin to be driven or if the driver aggressively applies gas pedal pressure with today's turbocharged fours or high-torque sixes and eights. Fortunately, glass transition is a reversible condition that allows the tires' normal traction to return as the ambient temperatures climb.

If ambient temperatures drop to near- or below-freezing, driving or rolling a vehicle equipped with summer performance tires risks the possibility of tread compound cracking. Tread compound cracking is a permanent condition that requires the tires to be replaced. The other condition that can be caused by running summer performance tires in cold temperatures is the possibility of chipping away the edges of the tread blocks.

Since both of these conditions only occur as the result of what's considered improper use or storage, they are not typically covered by the manufacturer's warranty.

Storing Performance Summer Tires in Cold Temperatures

Like the motorsports tires they have evolved from, all Extreme Performance Summer performance category tires feature constructions and compounds that have been tuned to maximize traction and performance within a range of warm-to-hot ambient temperatures. Therefore, unlike less highly tuned tires, these types of tires must only be operated in and stored at temperatures consistent with their thoroughbred characteristics.

In addition to normal tire storage recommendations, Extreme Performance Summer performance category tires require supplementary storage procedures be followed to prevent tire compound cracking due to exposure to cold temperatures.

While these recommendations are general guidelines offered by Tire Rack, selected tire manufacturers may have additional specific recommendations applicable to their tires. Follow the tire manufacturer's recommendations whenever available.

It is not recommended to drive on these types of tires at temperatures below 40 degrees F (5 degrees C).

It is recommended these types of tires be stored indoors at temperatures maintained at above 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) when not in use.

Tires accidentally exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels, or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

In order to allow gradual, uniform and thorough increase in tire temperature, these types of tires should be protected from direct sources of intense heat as they warm up. Do not apply localized heat, blow heated air directly on them, nor place them near a heat source.

Always inspect tires before use after storage periods.

While compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced."

Admittedly, in the not-too-distant-past, I personally was unaware of the cracking problem that seemingly has evolved hand-in-hand with the increase in performance of the sticky summer tires. I certainly pay more attention now !! :)

City
10-21-2015, 01:36 PM
Interesting topic and responses, but all should note that Mark's original post was October 28, 2013, so assume your responses are no longer going to be put towards Mark's intended use.

Dman
10-21-2015, 01:46 PM
I hang it all on the marketing.

I just don't know how people can expect more from the viper than what the gen5 has delivered. SRT has performed magic with what they were given. A base no bones car that kicks nearly all ass and is exotic for under $90k, a weekend track rat model for a smidge over $100k, a lux model of all things, and yes a world dominating (to be seen, but does anyone doubt it) model that's as exotic as it gets with the track addict focus only the insane dream about .. for a buck twenty.

If you can't sell that car, then shame on you. Marketing, media relationships, whatev's, we can nit-pick anything, but the only justifiable real issue with buying one is it's outta your price range, or you only have one leg. (tongue placed firmly in cheek)

They shoulda done a vert though.

dethred
10-21-2015, 07:11 PM
I would change nothing. Car of my dreams. They didn't have to change a damn thing before I bought my car.

But I do suppose the price cut made my loaded GTS affordable. If the Viper dies, values will begin to rise. Just sold my S2000 at a profit a few weeks ago. Why? Because there hasn't been a replacement for a roadster with decent power, and the only safety features being airbags and ABS. Nothing will replace the Viper, and it'll increase in value. Mark my words.

v10enomous
10-21-2015, 07:31 PM
I would change nothing. Car of my dreams. They didn't have to change a damn thing before I bought my car.

But I do suppose the price cut made my loaded GTS affordable. .

It really is an astoundingly great car. I knew from the moment that I saw it at the NY auto show that I had to have one. I didn't see anything that I would change except the window sticker and they did.

v10enomous
10-21-2015, 07:39 PM
Interesting topic and responses, but all should note that Mark's original post was October 28, 2013, so assume your responses are no longer going to be put towards Mark's intended use.

It wouldn't make any sense for Mark to post this now as Chrysler has done everything that everyone could ever think of and more with the car in the 2 years since.:D

Whitey
10-21-2015, 08:15 PM
Underood temperature and radiator heat wash.

J TNT
10-21-2015, 08:27 PM
I heard R Compound tires can Not be stored below 40 ' F and Should be stored indoors at above 50 'F ! Seems to be varying opinions ??? :confused:

lochnessmonster, judging from the info below, you shouldn't drive you Viper even if it had command start:

Quoting from the Tire Rack site:

"TIRE TECH

Don't Drive Summer Performance Tires in Cold Temperatures

Whether you blame it on climate change, a polar vortex or what seems to be the beginning of the next ice age, there's no doubt recent weather patterns have exposed many drivers to freezing temperatures and wintery driving conditions. In anticipation of the next time Mother Nature extends her cold reach, drivers with vehicles equipped with summer performance tires need to know those tires are not designed for near- or below-freezing temperatures on clear roads, nor in slush, snow and ice.

When faced with near- and below-freezing temperatures, drivers should leave their summer performance tire-equipped vehicle at home and drive a vehicle equipped with all-season or winter tires.

Summer performance tires feature tread compounds engineered to provide traction in warm to hot ambient temperatures. They were never intended to experience near- and below-freezing temperatures, nor the wintry driving conditions that often accompany them.

As ambient temperatures get colder, typically in the 40-45° Fahrenheit range, summer performance tires lose a noticeable percentage of traction as their tread compound rubber properties change from a pliable elastic to inflexible plastic. The tire industry uses the term "glass transition" to describe the temperature where a summer performance tire's grip/slip performance changes dramatically. This means the summer performance tires that provide predictable traction in warm to hot conditions will be found to be very challenging to drive in cold to freezing temperatures. This is especially true when the tires first begin to be driven or if the driver aggressively applies gas pedal pressure with today's turbocharged fours or high-torque sixes and eights. Fortunately, glass transition is a reversible condition that allows the tires' normal traction to return as the ambient temperatures climb.

If ambient temperatures drop to near- or below-freezing, driving or rolling a vehicle equipped with summer performance tires risks the possibility of tread compound cracking. Tread compound cracking is a permanent condition that requires the tires to be replaced. The other condition that can be caused by running summer performance tires in cold temperatures is the possibility of chipping away the edges of the tread blocks.

Since both of these conditions only occur as the result of what's considered improper use or storage, they are not typically covered by the manufacturer's warranty.

Storing Performance Summer Tires in Cold Temperatures

Like the motorsports tires they have evolved from, all Extreme Performance Summer performance category tires feature constructions and compounds that have been tuned to maximize traction and performance within a range of warm-to-hot ambient temperatures. Therefore, unlike less highly tuned tires, these types of tires must only be operated in and stored at temperatures consistent with their thoroughbred characteristics.

In addition to normal tire storage recommendations, Extreme Performance Summer performance category tires require supplementary storage procedures be followed to prevent tire compound cracking due to exposure to cold temperatures.

While these recommendations are general guidelines offered by Tire Rack, selected tire manufacturers may have additional specific recommendations applicable to their tires. Follow the tire manufacturer's recommendations whenever available.

It is not recommended to drive on these types of tires at temperatures below 40 degrees F (5 degrees C).

It is recommended these types of tires be stored indoors at temperatures maintained at above 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) when not in use.

Tires accidentally exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels, or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

In order to allow gradual, uniform and thorough increase in tire temperature, these types of tires should be protected from direct sources of intense heat as they warm up. Do not apply localized heat, blow heated air directly on them, nor place them near a heat source.

Always inspect tires before use after storage periods.

While compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced."

Admittedly, in the not-too-distant-past, I personally was unaware of the cracking problem that seemingly has evolved hand-in-hand with the increase in performance of the sticky summer tires. I certainly pay more attention now !! :)

Camfab
10-21-2015, 11:55 PM
I heard R Compound tires can Not be stored below 40 ' F and Should be stored indoors at above 50 'F ! Seems to be varying opinions ??? :confused:

As an FYI, I bought a set of Kuhmo 710's a couple of years ago. The back tires were priced crazy low the fronts were regular price. The crazy cheap tires (rear) cracked by the time I got back from the tire shop. I'm guessing they were exposed to freezing temps in Tire Racks warehouse. No warranty, no help and now they are discontinued for over a year........

Fatboy 18
10-22-2015, 02:44 AM
It wouldn't make any sense for Mark to post this now as Chrysler has done everything that everyone could ever think of and more with the car in the 2 years since.:DApart from selling to the European market with Warranty back up :(

lochnessmonster
10-22-2015, 05:37 AM
Not recommended because idiots who don't know how to use a throttle pedal judiciously will spin the tire. I drive 5 blocks to and from work. I'll live. BTW cracking has not been an issue.

gcrain
10-22-2015, 11:31 AM
If you could have (1) thing done/changed to the GenV to make you more likely to purchase one what would it be, and we are not discussing price here.

Make a version I am confident I can keep on the pavement. i.e. ACR

SADVIPER
10-23-2015, 06:41 AM
Apart from selling to the European market with Warranty back up :(

In my country we have like 15 Gen Vs and more older Vipers and the official Chrysler dealer in this region doesn't have a clue on how to do a recall. They don't even sell the car. I still got it overseas because I love Vipers but yeah Chrysler has done nothing to improve the quality or support us enthusiasts in this region with warranty or better dealer services.

v10enomous
10-23-2015, 07:50 AM
Let me know when they build a perfect car! But if i had that money i would have a genV! I think its as good as they could realisticly build and its the prettiest car built right now! And its damn fast!

I was on my way to a C&C a few weeks ago and I was behind a beuatiful Jaguar F-Type R and I was admiring it's beautiful shape and it looked just amazing. The automotive press has rained praise on the Jag's beautiful looks since it was first announced. I would up parking next to the Jag at the C&C and his car just disappeared. It was the first time I have seen the 2 cars next to each other and it wasn't even close.

Camfab
10-23-2015, 05:31 PM
Not recommended because idiots who don't know how to use a throttle pedal judiciously will spin the tire. I drive 5 blocks to and from work. I'll live. BTW cracking has not been an issue.

I guess I'm an idiot because I love to get sideways!

GTR>Viper
10-24-2015, 02:01 PM
Is it too much to ask for pedals that are centered with the driver's seat? It feels like the gas is where the brake should be. I guess that's the sacrifice for the extra 0.3L...

darbgnik
10-24-2015, 06:53 PM
Is it too much to ask for pedals that are centered with the driver's seat? It feels like the gas is where the brake should be. I guess that's the sacrifice for the extra 0.3L...

Is this actually an issue after anyone has owned one for longer than a half hour?

Not sarcasm, a legitimate question.

Jdmuscle
10-24-2015, 11:23 PM
Lol.. Anyone saying the pedals are offset in the gen V are just saying to find a flaw with the car. GTR is missing a pedal all together... You seem to find that ok. :)

ViperSmith
10-24-2015, 11:51 PM

I hadn't driven a manual in 10 years before I bought my 2013

Didn't feel weird at all

Axiom
10-29-2015, 01:34 PM
Affordable convertible. Not that ridiculous 40k Medusa.
Magnetic Ride suspension.
Resolved build quality issues.

Rac10000
10-29-2015, 02:08 PM
The ability to find a car that is available to demo/test drive within 100 miles (I live 30 min outside NYC).

Coloviper
10-29-2015, 02:25 PM
If someone gave me $40k for my 96 RT, I would be in a GEN V literally tomorrow. Problem is I have a lot more than that into the ole 96' and it is still a fun car to throw around, don't really want to sell it if I don't have to. It is just my current financial situation keeping me out of a GEN V at the moment. Working hard to remedy that but taking a third position to my family and life in general at the moment.

lochnessmonster
10-29-2015, 03:40 PM
Is this actually an issue after anyone has owned one for longer than a half hour?

Not sarcasm, a legitimate question.

I drove the car for a few weeks and didn't even notice it until I read it somewhere. Then I sat in the car and went, "Hmmm...I guess they're right." Since then I've forgotten all about it until now.

Bruce H.
10-29-2015, 05:06 PM
I drove the car for a few weeks and didn't even notice it until I read it somewhere. Then I sat in the car and went, "Hmmm...I guess they're right." Since then I've forgotten all about it until now.

Same... I've never noticed it. I did noticed the toasty sills on Day 1 but that's another non-issue once you remember not to touch them.

dethred
10-29-2015, 08:09 PM
I hadn't driven a manual in 10 years before I bought my 2013

Didn't feel weird at all

The only weird part was getting into another car and it seeming like the pedals were too far to the right. This is only an issue for nitpicking lazy journalists, and people that would complain about Summer being too hot, Winter being too cold, Spring being too rainy, and Fall being depressing.