PDA

View Full Version : Gen 3 From out of state will it pass smog

nmallory56
04-09-2018, 10:09 PM
Hey everyone! I've been searching for my first Viper and have it pretty narrowed down (local 2005 conv, 2005 conv copperhead in AZ, and this one I'm asking about). Really like the look of the coupe so I'm looking at one in Idaho. Been talking to the owner, so far everything seems on the up and up, he claims to of bought from older gentleman who was the original owner. Here is the old post with list of mods:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Dodge-Viper-SRT10-/192394842750

My question is, if I put the high flow cats or even the original exhaust back on, will this likely pass CA smog? I emailed him today and he says he put the stock heat shields back on so I don't think the visual inspection should be an issue...

I found his car on autotrader then googled the VIN and found that old ebay post (Dec last year) and another site post as far back as Nov last year (showing price drops). From each Viper I've seen so far and each owner I've asked or googled, it seems Vipers take a while to sell, so I don't think I should be worried about the amount of time its been on the market right? BTW as per his emails the tune was done by Todd at A&C and the heads from Gregg Good.

Really appreciate any input from you guys. I'm very excited to purchase my first and join the community.

FrankBarba
04-10-2018, 10:20 PM
pm sent

IntendedAcceleration
04-15-2018, 03:43 PM
The last out of state vehicle I registered here required me to get it weighed, then gone over (At the DMV, not a CARB "Referree"), and then get smogged. This was several years ago when getting smogged was a visual + roller test. The last two times I've smogged my already-registered california cars, all they did was a visual and then plugged in the OBD-II controller.

I would think that if the cats are hidden, and it doesn't throw a code, and the O2-rediness flag is good, then she should pass. I believe all vipers are 50-state emissions, so that makes your life easier.