PDA

View Full Version : I m thinking about buying a 3rd gen anyone willing to allow me to ride in your car

IntendedAcceleration
04-03-2018, 11:15 AM
This is a big ask, I know. I'm thinking about buying a Viper on the east coast, but I've never ridden in a Viper before, so before I start making remote purchases (etc) I'd like to make sure I am compatible with it. I am a big guy (5,9 but weigh damn near 300#) so I need to make sure I fit. I'm not asking for you to drive fast and I could meet you wherever in the Orange/Riverside/San Bernardino area. I really want to see how I fit, and maybe how it rides on a typical SoCal freeway. I'm looking at a 2003, but it is my understanding that any 3rd/4th gen will ride the same, so long as it is not the ACR-X.

Thank you

Mopar'er no car
04-03-2018, 05:20 PM
I will start by saying, yes. Someone will give you a ride in their gen 3/4, youve come to the right place.

I wish you were closer and could check out my car. Im a hefty fella myself albeit a little taller at 6'3+. Im quite wide, picture middle linebacker. When i had my seat out to install the seat lowering kit (you wont need this) i carefully bent out my bolsters, to fit my shoulders mostly. I also bent the seat bottom bolsters out so i now sit down flat in the center of the seat. The bolsters both on your back and butt are quite aggressive. Dont be discouraged if you feel to tight, this can be changed...

IntendedAcceleration
04-03-2018, 07:05 PM
Thank you Mopar - Right now I have 3 dodges in the garage. My childhood buddy's dad worked for Dodge as a calibration engineer of some sort. He would bring home all kinds of cool stuff - once had a right hand drive Omni.

I have a Neon SRT-4 right now that is not very stock (Stage 3 turbo, and a bunch of relatively sleeper mods), but I've heard the seats were "inspired" by the viper seats. I mention this because I actually took off the seat cover, ground off the welds on the seat frame, bent them out, and re-welded them. So I have a feeling this is similar to what you did, and probably would be what I would do.

BTW, my dad was stationed at Wright-Pat in the 70's.

Mopar'er no car
04-03-2018, 07:45 PM
I was able to just bend the hoops out. Gives me the much needed room and didnt really distort the leather too much...yeah, I still have a chuckle when i hear..It has the stock Viper seats (SRT4)...l0l

The company that mfgd the seats is vert close to my home town. I can almost guarantee seeing a Johnson Controls Viper office chair for sale on the local Craigslist twice a year.

Rocket
04-03-2018, 11:36 PM
I've got a beautiful black 2006 Vert listed in the classifieds. Short ride home to socal from Phoenix!

Definitely agree with others about bending the bolsters out to fit more comfortably!