PDA

View Full Version : squeaky driver side door

dmann
03-14-2018, 08:46 PM
I sprayed the hinges but the squeak still persists.
Suggestions?

Jet Slicker
03-14-2018, 08:51 PM
Is the squeak only when you get to the last bit of opening the door? Like right when it goes into the "Holding spot" at the end of the door opening where the door is more or less locked in? If so, I have that same persistent squeak.

dewilmoth
03-14-2018, 08:55 PM
Is the squeak only when you get to the last bit of opening the door? Like right when it goes into the "Holding spot" at the end of the door opening where the door is more or less locked in? If so, I have that same persistent squeak.

Me too...

dmann
03-14-2018, 09:13 PM
thats it !! Right at the hinge

dmann
03-14-2018, 09:51 PM
^The car has 5500 miles, really?

Exhlr8n
03-15-2018, 12:56 AM
Mine too. The faster cars all have this problem. :bth_smiley_formula1

stradman
03-15-2018, 01:57 AM
Be persistent with WD40. In the end it did do the job and stopped my squeak.

dmann
03-15-2018, 02:14 AM
^
thanks

SRT_BluByU
03-15-2018, 02:34 AM
usually hinges get white lithium grease for whatever reason. but this is a piano hinge style so may be different. at 5500 miles just warranty it!

Special Ed
03-15-2018, 06:05 AM
I have the same squeak, started about a month ago 14,000 mi.

Jet Slicker
03-15-2018, 08:50 AM
Haha looks like I’m not alone!

serpent
03-15-2018, 09:35 AM
Me too...
Me too

No hemi
03-15-2018, 01:09 PM
Same squeak here >>>>:(

serpent
03-15-2018, 02:00 PM
I took mine to Normandin Dodge SJ back in August, they couldnt solve the driver wind noise and driver door stiction.
They did fix the front bumper gap.

cubeman
03-15-2018, 02:06 PM
Needs a new door hinge. My driver side door was doing it, they replaced the hinge on my 2015.

Arizona Vipers
03-15-2018, 03:01 PM
My 2013 has been doing this since when I bought it with 11K miles a few years ago. I never got it fixed. LOL

swexlin
03-15-2018, 03:15 PM
For once, my car doesn't have an issue that everyone else seems to also have! LOL, small things in life...

Dr.Ron
03-15-2018, 04:14 PM
My driver's side hinge was replaced as well. Mine made more of a "rubbing" sound than a "squeak."
They tried the grease 1st & I tried WD40 & Silicone lub spray....neither of which worked. The hinge worked, although it stunk waiting for the body shop to paint the hinge and rehang the door (took 3-4 days total to fix). I guess it wasn't exactly on the top of their "to do" list

Ron

txA&M08
03-16-2018, 08:57 AM
Mine does it too, and I was told by the Viper tech that replacing it will kill the squeak for a while, but it'll be back.

Scott_in_fl
03-16-2018, 10:22 AM
^^^ I can imagine this is the likely end result. I had it on my '06 but never worried about it. My gut told me that it was not worth the gamble of letting the dealer try to apply what would be a temporary fix anyway. At least by us, it is very common for a dealer to do more harm than good.

Arizona Vipers
03-16-2018, 10:46 AM
For once, my car doesn't have an issue that everyone else seems to also have! LOL, small things in life...

:smilielol:

Pappy
03-16-2018, 11:53 AM
Mine has the same squeak since about 2000 miles. I keep it lubed, which helps, but I'll be damned if I'm going to let a dealer or some body shop take the door off to fix it. I'd rather have the squeak than even a minor scratch, paint blemish, or misaligned door - especially if the squeak is likely to come back anyway.

Pappy

cubeman
03-16-2018, 12:40 PM
My driver's side hinge was replaced as well. Mine made more of a "rubbing" sound than a "squeak."
They tried the grease 1st & I tried WD40 & Silicone lub spray....neither of which worked. The hinge worked, although it stunk waiting for the body shop to paint the hinge and rehang the door (took 3-4 days total to fix). I guess it wasn't exactly on the top of their "to do" list

Ron

Paint the hinge? I don't think mine was painted.

ZeeViper
03-16-2018, 02:19 PM
I have been really annoyed by this as well, does anyone have a schematic for the hinges? If its just a basic hinge it could be the black coating has worn off and the aluminum on aluminum is just rubbing and galling? i've shot door hinge spray in there on a daily basis for a week. hoping it would work its way into the areas it needed but no luck. I'm almost ready to buy a set of hinges and see what the deal is and if i could tweak the design just a touch to make this disappear.

SRT BILL
03-16-2018, 02:20 PM
Just a thought. We all wash these cars a lot some of the soap and water must wash any lube away from these hinges. So maybe a little preventive maintenance like lubricating these hinges on a regular basis might prevent this from happening. Has anyone noticed if its more of a top hinge thing or a bottom hinge or both. Also does the passenger side seem to be involved in this at all?

Hawk
03-16-2018, 06:04 PM
Same thing with my TA

SRT_BluByU
03-16-2018, 07:33 PM
itll come back anyway.. i went threw a few hinges on my last ‘14 viper.. i think the windshield washing fluid drips on the hinge if you squirt alot on the glass.. some of the cheaper bluestuff hasa solvant in it that breaksdown he built it lubricant 9graph8te maybe.. but who knows). ive switched to the rainX variety hoping the wax in that helps.. so far ok.. but who knows.. th8s is on a 8k mi ‘17. this is my currant working theory anyway.. dont know if im correct

outnumbered
03-16-2018, 07:34 PM
Already had one hinge replaced on the driver door. Now the replacement is doing it.

wtknght1
05-01-2020, 01:39 PM
Has anyone ever figured out this issue? It sounds like the door itself is rubbing on another body panel, but I've looked everywhere and can't see anything rubbing. Is it just the hinge? Because I've lubed this thing over and over and it only seems to do it when the door is at the widest point...and only for a few inches of door travel, and then it stops. Any suggestions?

txA&M08
05-01-2020, 02:11 PM
Has anyone ever figured out this issue? It sounds like the door itself is rubbing on another body panel, but I've looked everywhere and can't see anything rubbing. Is it just the hinge? Because I've lubed this thing over and over and it only seems to do it when the door is at the widest point...and only for a few inches of door travel, and then it stops. Any suggestions?

Yes, as mentioned earlier in the thread, it's not the two traditional door hinges you can see. It's a leaf spring that can be found behind the panel circled below. I haven't done it in a while, but you need to open the hood, loosen said panel enough that you can pull it away and see behind it from the top, then reach down with a brush or something with lube on it and run it all over the surface that the leaf spring rubs against. It's obvious once you can see behind that panel. I lubed mine once 2.5 years ago and it's never made a peep since.

darbgnik
05-01-2020, 03:06 PM
Well huh......

Thanks for that tip. Mine has done it forever as well, and same as most, I never wanted to risk a body shop visit over a hinge squeak.

wtknght1
05-01-2020, 03:10 PM
Yes, as mentioned earlier in the thread, it's not the two traditional door hinges you can see. It's a leaf spring that can be found behind the panel circled below. I haven't done it in a while, but you need to open the hood, loosen said panel enough that you can pull it away and see behind it from the top, then reach down with a brush or something with lube on it and run it all over the surface that the leaf spring rubs against. It's obvious once you can see behind that panel. I lubed mine once 2.5 years ago and it's never made a peep since.

Thank you. Saw it. Lubed it. Shut it up. It still rubs a bit, but I guess that's just due to the wear. I'm sure once all the grease gets worked in good, it'll be slick as owl $hit again. ;)

nwa_viper
05-03-2020, 01:24 PM
Here is the problem part. The paint/powder coat wears off over time.

wtknght1
05-05-2020, 06:47 AM
Yep, that seems to be the culprit.

ACR Steve
05-05-2020, 09:20 AM
Trying this tonight my drivers side is really bad

ViperTony
05-05-2020, 10:02 PM
Trying this tonight my drivers side is really bad

Mine did too until I greased the hinge now it's quiet and operates very smooth.

Fullmetal
12-18-2020, 05:49 PM
Not an owner, I'm a Chrysler tech. Never touched a Viper until today but had the grand task of finding the door squeak on a 2013 GTS. Seeing that no one here knows exactly what causes it, I posted the pictures of the fix in my instagram. Take the hinge cover off and clean/grease the back side of the hinge. Good luck guys. https://www.instagram.com/p/CI9UOouHQZT/?igshid=8mg2vg5mjfo9

Hootie
12-18-2020, 06:28 PM
I got the squeak. Is there an easy way to get the hinge cover panel off? Or does the sill have to come off first? Gen V

darbgnik
12-18-2020, 06:34 PM
I got the squeak. Is there an easy way to get the hinge cover panel off? Or does the sill have to come off first? Gen V

In Fullmetals Instagram post, it looks like theres a round hole you could maybe smear grease in through? I'd have to take mine off the lift to examine it further.

stevert
12-18-2020, 07:22 PM
use bearing grease with a long paint brush. Cake it on the hinge rub areas wipe excess after opening/closing the door and adding the grease. Eventually it will go away. Clean it up and when you wash it, open the door, put a normal sz towel on the hinge and be careful not to soak that area too much with water. knock on wood it has worked for me.

Steve M
12-18-2020, 08:29 PM
This thread caused me to make this one in the Gen III/IV section:

https://driveviper.com/forums/threads/26284-Door-Hinge-Maintenance

Just gotta be willing to take some stuff apart. Mine hasn't made a peep since.

16vipersrt10
02-14-2022, 10:46 AM
Do you have this info still available? Your Instagram photos are down
Thank you

darbgnik
02-14-2022, 03:01 PM
Do you have this info still available? Your Instagram photos are down
Thank you

These are his pics.

Turla
04-04-2022, 09:28 PM
Completed this today, squeak is gone and I'm quite happy about it.. I wasn't able to get the hinge cover off without either damaging it or remove the side sill, neither of which I wanted to do. I ended up doing the same thing as txA&M, loosen the panel, and apply lube using a brush in my case a foam brush.

stevert
04-05-2022, 10:23 AM
Get a long paint brush. get some bearing grease and hit the hinge with that.. I did that and after some working it in... shes quiet. The water from washing your car/rain/etc actually rolls right on that hinge and it develops surface rust or something. The grease works great. and just wipe residue off.

Lawineer
04-05-2022, 11:04 AM
Body shop buddy adjusted mine and it went away. I have no idea what he did though, but I had the same symptoms you do.

ViperGeorge
04-05-2022, 01:22 PM
My GTS driver door squeaked. Viper tech replaced hinge under warranty. He showed me where it was rubbing and it simply looked defective. Grease didn't help much.