PDA

View Full Version : Limp mode please help

Gunsling33r
02-07-2018, 09:39 PM
I bought my 2008 Dodge Viper (29k miles) just a week ago and the previous owner told me it had no issues. My first 10 mile drive the car went into limp mode and the check engine light flashed until the car was re-started. After restart it has done it again 2 more times. The codes it flashed were P2104(throttle actuator control system forced idle) , P210E(definition unavailable) , and P0300 ( multiple cylinder misfire) I brought it to Daytona Dodge where the Viper tech told me it was the aftermarket security system. So I unplugged it today and drove it approximately 8 miles before it happened again 🤦🏼*♂️.....please help!!!!!!

BillyC
02-08-2018, 06:22 AM
I know this sounds really simple, but unless you have tried disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes, then reconnecting, I'd try that.
Any tech on cars and computers will tell you to reboot first.

mackzilla
02-08-2018, 08:49 AM
After you clear the codes I'd check connections. Check the harness to coil connection. Plug wires to coil. Check the plugs are tight and that the plug wires are firmly connected. Then check that the harness is firmly plugged to each injector. Then check battery voltage.

I'm not an expert with security systems but simply "unplugging" the security system module won't undue any odd wiring that may have been done. In theory, if that system is designed to kill spark in a theft situation it may be interrupting something vital with ignition/injectors something else downstream of the pcm 5V signal. Poke around your harness to see where that theft system might be tapping in.

Ironically, I searched your code list and had a hit on Google that looked like the PO may have been asking about this in the past. At least someone with a similar year had experienced similar issues. Good luck.

viperBase1
02-08-2018, 08:59 AM
If the car has an Oil Catch Can, drain it make sure it's empty.