PDA

View Full Version : Is it feasible to purchase a crate motor and mod it

Scott_in_fl
02-05-2018, 05:51 PM
I see Gen 5 motors every now and then on eBay. There is one now with 4k miles for $16k or so.

How feasible is it to purchase one and mod that motor and crate up your stock motor for safe keeping? Say you want to build a 9L Extreme, but keep your motor stock since you plan on keeping the car forever. Would I be correct in assuming that both motors should be plug and play to a large extent (other than PCM)?

Can I just ship the motor around for the 9L work instead of the whole car, and then just drop it in locally?

Not ready to do this just yet, but contemplating different options.

I'd love to be able to have some fun with the car, but there are also some great reasons for keeping it stock (and having a backup powerplant).

Your thoughts?

SRT_BluByU
02-05-2018, 06:23 PM
yes you can if its in your budget..

SRT BILL
02-05-2018, 06:43 PM

That's a neat idea, especially if youh have the knowledge and equipment to do it your self.

Scot@Prefix
02-05-2018, 07:31 PM
We have done that for several customers, built up a completely different engine and put it in their car so they keep the stock engine assembly.

Jack B
02-05-2018, 08:24 PM
I pulled my engine and sent it to Prefix (in a Prefix supplied box) for my 9L.

I see Gen 5 motors every now and then on eBay. There is one now with 4k miles for $16k or so.

How feasible is it to purchase one and mod that motor and crate up your stock motor for safe keeping? Say you want to build a 9L Extreme, but keep your motor stock since you plan on keeping the car forever. Would I be correct in assuming that both motors should be plug and play to a large extent (other than PCM)?

Can I just ship the motor around for the 9L work instead of the whole car, and then just drop it in locally?

Not ready to do this just yet, but contemplating different options.

I'd love to be able to have some fun with the car, but there are also some great reasons for keeping it stock (and having a backup powerplant).

Your thoughts?

TrackAire
02-06-2018, 12:43 AM

I agree with you regarding the budget but you must also have somewhere to store the stock motor. I've done the same with my Gen 4 with modified and stock parts,.....two transmissions, two rear ends, multiple exhaust systems, 16 wheels, two sets of coil overs, stock and AP Racing rotors and a bunch of stuff I'm probably forgetting. I'm pretty lucky to be able to store all this stuff at my work, but unless you have a lot room you'll always be tripping over the engine.

Just something to think about.

ACRSNK
02-06-2018, 05:21 AM
I remember back in the day a lot of Mustang guys did this with their 93 Cobras and a lot of Buick guys did this with their GNXs.

uberpube
02-06-2018, 05:26 AM
I'm in the process of doing this with my Jeep Srt8. Its daily driven so I don't want it stuck in my shop waiting for parts, and it's nice to keep the original stuff to go back if it doesn't work out well. I have a spare nag1 transmission to build, shopping for a block and heads right now.

jo_ker
02-06-2018, 08:27 AM
as long i´m here in EU - and warranty is a word of foreign origin if it is about an ACR Viper i guess - i would like to know the estimated price for a crate motor.
(with or without periphery)

Arizona Vipers
02-06-2018, 11:42 AM
I pulled my engine and sent it to Prefix (in a Prefix supplied box) for my 9L.

Are you going to do the Xtreme cam?