PDA

View Full Version : no oil pressure

tommarbru
02-04-2018, 04:08 PM
It's 88 degrees today and thought I'd take a pre super bowl spin through the local foothills. Started my 13 gts LA (8000 miles) and screen indicated "no oil pressure" and threw a check engine code. Checked oil and level is full. Could it be a failed oil pump or perhaps a sensor? Any other causes. Car is under extended warranty so will have it on a flat bed to the dealer next week. Hoping for the best.

daveg
02-04-2018, 04:10 PM
Only way to truly know is by putting a gauge on it.
Good luck.

swexlin
02-04-2018, 04:24 PM
Most likely bad sender - common issue across the FCA line - we all use the same one, I think. But like you said, don't start it until you get it to the dealer. Even to get it on the flatbed - have it winched up.

Policy Limits
02-04-2018, 04:35 PM
Common issue run a search. The sender component is straight out of a caravan lol

Scott_in_fl
02-04-2018, 04:59 PM
No giant puddle on your garage floor? No giant hole in the side of your engine block? Full of oil? It's a sensor.

V10
02-04-2018, 05:07 PM
Happened to me three months ago. It was the sender. Had to flat bed to dealer 40 miles away for the warranty work. Hardest part was knowing the car was at a dealer 40 miles away for the week parked who knows where until I was able to pick it up. Ended well but car was filthy covered with salt.

AZTVR
02-04-2018, 08:23 PM
FYI

This bulletin involves replacing the oil pressure sensor with a revised part.
Link:
TSB 18-034-14a PDF (http://www.wk2jeeps.com/Misc/Cherokee/KL_TSB/KL_08_034_14a.pdf)

kaamacat
02-05-2018, 05:59 PM
FYI..... About 2months ago had OP gauge on center dash flash red, and center stack performance was showing
zero pressure. The car was running perfect, and if you lost oil pressure I suspect you'd notice it immediately in
the performance of the engine. Long story short, the dealer had a TSB out there and in-this-case, was not
the sender at all.

ViperGeorge
02-05-2018, 07:39 PM
I can't imagine changing the sensor would be hard. Why not do it yourself and save the hassle of going to a dealer on a flatbed? Besides there is the chance that the tow truck driver will damage your Viper getting it up on the trailer. If you change the sensor (my bet as to what is wrong) and the pressure is still zero then you need the dealer.

swexlin
02-06-2018, 06:25 AM
FYI..... About 2months ago had OP gauge on center dash flash red, and center stack performance was showing
zero pressure. The car was running perfect, and if you lost oil pressure I suspect you'd notice it immediately in
the performance of the engine. Long story short, the dealer had a TSB out there and in-this-case, was not
the sender at all.

So what was it then? And what was the TSB?

7TH_SIGN
02-06-2018, 08:14 AM
I can't imagine changing the sensor would be hard. Why not do it yourself and save the hassle of going to a dealer on a flatbed? Besides there is the chance that the tow truck driver will damage your Viper getting it up on the trailer. If you change the sensor (my bet as to what is wrong) and the pressure is still zero then you need the dealer.

It's not difficult at all. I installed a new one for a local owner who had his fail with only 400 miles on it. He didn't want to chance it and have the dealer or tow company screw up his Viper.

Scott_in_fl
02-06-2018, 01:08 PM
^^^ This is definitely worth doing first. See if it clears the issue, which it most likely will.

swexlin
02-06-2018, 01:52 PM
Only issue is, you have to start the car to test it! If it's NOT the issue, I want the engine to blow up at the dealer (their fault, in or out of warranty) then at home. Then they'll deny you saying, why did you start it with no oil pressure.

Depends if you want to gamble or not. Take it to the dealer.

ViperGeorge
02-06-2018, 02:12 PM
Only issue is, you have to start the car to test it! If it's NOT the issue, I want the engine to blow up at the dealer (their fault, in or out of warranty) then at home. Then they'll deny you saying, why did you start it with no oil pressure.

Depends if you want to gamble or not. Take it to the dealer.

Starting the car and running it for a second or two shouldn't cause it to blow up. Besides 99.9999% chance it is in fact the sensor.

bluesrt
02-06-2018, 02:17 PM
don't have to start it to test it, kill fuel or fire and crank engine for about 15 to 20 seconds

Scott_in_fl
02-06-2018, 04:04 PM
Starting it from cold for a few seconds will not do anything negative. In fact, it is the same effect whenever you start from cold for the first few seconds.

swexlin
02-06-2018, 04:21 PM
Well, I never have been gambler, LOL! A couple slot machines once....

kaamacat
02-07-2018, 12:41 PM
So what was it then? And what was the TSB?

Sorry but Troncalli (Cumming GA) did not tell me what it was, just that that symptom was out there
documented with a TSB. (My receipt says this.... "DTC P0521 ENGINE OIL PRESSURE SENSOR PERFORMANCE.
TSB 18-108-15 applies for this update. Completed TSB. Updated PCM")

swexlin
02-07-2018, 05:35 PM
Sorry but Troncalli (Cumming GA) did not tell me what it was, just that that symptom was out there
documented with a TSB. (My receipt says this.... "DTC P0521 ENGINE OIL PRESSURE SENSOR PERFORMANCE.
TSB 18-108-15 applies for this update. Completed TSB. Updated PCM")

Interesting, thanks. I bet the TSB includes replacing the sensor!

AZTVR
02-07-2018, 06:51 PM

It would be interesting to see it. The online description implies that it is related to software.

kaamacat
02-09-2018, 06:13 AM

Interesting enough, first question I asked was "did you replace the sensor", and then they said nope, just
a software update. One other "strange" item was, the performance panel was showing some wild high
oil temp... which I knew was also wrong.

SRT BILL
02-09-2018, 02:24 PM
does anyone know the part # for the correct oil pressure sensor?

swexlin
02-09-2018, 02:41 PM
Looks like per the pdf above:

05149064AA Sensor, Oil Pressure 8.4L

SRT BILL
02-09-2018, 03:04 PM
Looks like per the pdf above:

05149064AA Sensor, Oil Pressure 8.4L

Thanks Swexlin, totally overlooked that.

swexlin
02-09-2018, 03:24 PM
However, I'm told by my Viper tech that it's all the same unit - hence why it seems to fail across the product lines. So, even thought the sensor for the Jeep or Ram engine has a different part number, it is actually the identical item. But, I'd still order the right part anyway...

I should stop talking about it, don't want to jinx myself.....lol

darbgnik
02-10-2018, 10:16 PM
It's not difficult at all. I installed a new one for a local owner who had his fail with only 400 miles on it. He didn't want to chance it and have the dealer or tow company screw up his Viper.

You must have smaller forearms than me, lol. I looked at the sensor in mine, and said screw it, I'll do it myself, it's so easy to see.

But I couldn't fit my arm up from below, and I looked like I baptized a cat by the time I had it swapped from above....... it would definitely be an easy job for someone though!

tommarbru
02-11-2018, 11:55 AM
Stared this thread with no oil pressure. Thank all for your replies. As I thought, it was a faulty oil pressure sensor. Dealer replaced but no mention of a TSB as some of you noted.

swexlin
02-11-2018, 12:20 PM
Stared this thread with no oil pressure. Thank all for your replies. As I thought, it was a faulty oil pressure sensor. Dealer replaced but no mention of a TSB as some of you noted.

Thanks for the update.