PDA

View Full Version : 6 point harness with stock seats

SRT_BluByU
01-29-2018, 08:51 PM
with the pass through and anchor points in the factory setup ive been wondering for hpde style driving would factory belts be better with the factory seats or would 6 point harness, hans and factory seats be better?

cant find a definiative answer on belt manf websites.. wouldnt mind the extra holding support of the harness but dont want to snap a he event of a lateral/side collision.. i dont want to remove the factory seats for halo seats and want to be as safe as as i can.

thanks for your thougts!

Arizona Vipers
01-29-2018, 09:08 PM
I've got the 6 point harnesses, but still use the factory belt a lot of the time. The factory seats hold you in pretty good.
As far as safety goes, there's the whole debate of you dying in a rollover if you are in the harnesses and the roof caves in, you'll break your neck.
There is no definitive answer here. IMO, you would be safest in the harnesses and a HANS. I don't know of any Gen 5 yet with a halo seat installed. I'm getting ready to do it, but will be removing or notching the door panel to fit it.

kaamacat
01-30-2018, 09:03 PM
with the pass through and anchor points in the factory setup ive been wondering for hpde style driving would factory belts be better with the factory seats or would 6 point harness, hans and factory seats be better?

cant find a definiative answer on belt manf websites.. wouldnt mind the extra holding support of the harness but dont want to snap a he event of a lateral/side collision.. i dont want to remove the factory seats for halo seats and want to be as safe as as i can.

thanks for your thougts!

For HPDE, a 6pt will be superior to the std seatbelt in the car. (Once I installed the 6pt, but also used a
HANS, the HPDE experience was lightyears better). I believe that most will agree if you are using the 6pt
harness, then you want the HANS as-well. I had the TeamTech ASR setup with a Scroth Flex HANS.

pMak26
01-30-2018, 10:04 PM
There is the 3rd option, a CG Lock. I've used one in a Porsche Cayman and it worked great. Have not tried one on the Viper yet.

sharmut
01-31-2018, 01:53 AM
Locking the 3 point seat belt without the use of a hans device sounds like a bad idea. At a frontal impact, your chest would be held back but your head (plus the additional weight of a helmet) would snap forward.

kaamacat
01-31-2018, 06:04 AM
There is the 3rd option, a CG Lock. I've used one in a Porsche Cayman and it worked great. Have not tried one on the Viper yet.

I had a CG-Lock on mine when not using the 6PT at the track. It only locks your waste/lower area back, and works
great!

Special Ed
01-31-2018, 06:14 AM
Sharmut you are kidding, right. Your three point belt has inertia locks. In an impact the belt locks and does restrain and hold your chest from forward movement. I want to see how you use a hans with a three point belt, it would be less than useless. You have to have two properly mounted shoulder belts to effectively use a hans.

Simms
01-31-2018, 06:44 PM
6 point Teamtechs with HANS here.

SRT_BluByU
01-31-2018, 09:58 PM
looking at getting a set of 6 points from teamtech.. whats the difference between the ASR and the RAMPAC harness? looking at 3” shoulders and lap with 2” anti-sub straps with cam locking release.

sharmut
02-01-2018, 05:07 AM
Sharmut you are kidding, right. Your three point belt has inertia locks. In an impact the belt locks and does restrain and hold your chest from forward movement. I want to see how you use a hans with a three point belt, it would be less than useless. You have to have two properly mounted shoulder belts to effectively use a hans.

Guess my comment didn't come out correctly. I did not mean to imply a hans could be used with the 3 point belt.
I use a teamtech 6 point harness with a necksgen rev2.

Special Ed
02-01-2018, 06:11 AM
Guess my comment didn't come out correctly. I did not mean to imply a hans could be used with the 3 point belt.
I use a teamtech 6 point harness with a necksgen rev2.

I'd have to agree with your assessment. I have read your comments many time and have never seen one so far off base.
For the record I use a Simpson platinum 6 point with a necksgen.

SilveRT8
02-01-2018, 06:12 AM
Just ordered from Partsrack a Teamtech 6 point harness 3-2-3.
Shoulders belts are 3'', but reduce to 2'' to fit my Scroth 2'' Flex Hans, and go back to 3'' behind the seat.

ek1
02-01-2018, 11:15 PM

Ed, this isn't actually a true HANS, but I have seen a few people using it with 3-point belts: http://simpsonraceproducts.com/hybrid/hybrid-s-3-point-belt-compatible/

Special Ed
02-02-2018, 06:44 AM
Ed, this isn't actually a true HANS, but I have seen a few people using it with 3-point belts: http://simpsonraceproducts.com/hybrid/hybrid-s-3-point-belt-compatible/

I have to say I have not seen anyone do this. If you are using a 3 point belt a hans or hybrid is a waste time and money.

kaamacat
02-02-2018, 08:01 AM
looking at getting a set of 6 points from teamtech.. whats the difference between the ASR and the RAMPAC harness? looking at 3” shoulders and lap with 2” anti-sub straps with cam locking release.

The ASR has double adjustable on all belts.....I have a set complete with the TeamTech sub bar for
sale and all hardware. Used for 3 HPDEs, Black with red stitching and red pulls. $800 shipped. (But mine are 3"
all around. Still works fine for a HANS but, the 2" would obviously be a better fit for HANS)

SRT_BluByU
02-02-2018, 08:04 AM
gotchya.. thanks bob. what are you going to instead?

ek1
02-02-2018, 09:09 AM
I have to say I have not seen anyone do this. If you are using a 3 point belt a hans or hybrid is a waste time and money.

If you read more about it, this device essentially secures the head to the torso, so if your torso is restrained, this device claims to help restrain the forward head movement in the event of a frontal impact. Simpson claims it has pretty much the same effect as regular HANS. I personally do not see why anyone with a 6-pt harness would use the Hybrid, but it's becoming more popular among HPDE coaches that have to get into the passenger seat with some crazy people that have 500hp+ street cars but have never driven them on a track before.

darbgnik
02-02-2018, 05:10 PM

As mentioned above, the ASR have double quick-adjustable cam buckles, whereas the Rampac have regular adjustment buckles. I went with a combination of Rampac shoulder and lap belts with the ASR sub straps. The ASR double adjustable sub straps are a must for easy tucking away under the seats.

The reason I use the Rampac shoulder belts is because they take up less room behind the seat, as I have it all the way back. The lap belts I couldn't tell you if they are different between the two......

kaamacat
02-02-2018, 06:14 PM
I no longer have the car, and the replacement does not have provision for a harness yet. (2018 ZL1 1LE)....Had
the GT for a little over 2.5yrs and was probably one of the best I've owned (right up there with the 2011 GT3RS
I had). Just looked for a change and still trackable car.... The TT harness really is nice. The sternum pad (I do like
some don't) really spreads out the overall locking of the harness. The sub into the cam lock, the padding there I
refer to as "the diaper". Excellent product.

SRT_BluByU
02-04-2018, 07:28 PM
thanks for the info fellas...

SlateEd
02-04-2018, 09:47 PM
If you read more about it, this device essentially secures the head to the torso, so if your torso is restrained, this device claims to help restrain the forward head movement in the event of a frontal impact. Simpson claims it has pretty much the same effect as regular HANS. I personally do not see why anyone with a 6-pt harness would use the Hybrid, but it's becoming more popular among HPDE coaches that have to get into the passenger seat with some crazy people that have 500hp+ street cars but have never driven them on a track before.

+1 ek

These are a good compromise when 3 points are all that is available (circumstances where that would happen are up to you to decide). We used them at the unveiling of the GT350R at Lime Rock, as Ford brought the cars to show off without any modifications.
They're not as complete as a 6 or 5 point with a traditional HANS, but the hybrid vest does create a reasonable lock between the torso and helmet. If your 3 point holds your torso in place then your neck will not have nearly as much travel as without it. Again, not a replacement for full harnesses+HANS, but better than 3 point alone.

ViperGeorge
02-05-2018, 10:51 AM
I'm using the R3 Hybrid with Teamtech belts. Even with the tether slider option it does restrict the turn of your head some. According to tests I've seen the R3 Hybrid works better than a Hans in angular impacts. Not sure if that has changed with newer models of the Hans though.

SRT_BluByU
02-05-2018, 06:21 PM
I'm using the R3 Hybrid with Teamtech belts. Even with the tether slider option it does restrict the turn of your head some. According to tests I've seen the R3 Hybrid works better than a Hans in angular impacts. Not sure if that has changed with newer models of the Hans though.

where are you finding these test? ive been looking also... i think im set on using the 6 point team tech harness.. i already have a HANS. was also curious if sae did any white papers on 6 points vs 3 point

ViperGeorge
02-05-2018, 07:41 PM
where are you finding these test? ive been looking also... i think im set on using the 6 point team tech harness.. i already have a HANS. was also curious if sae did any white papers on 6 points vs 3 point

Been a few years since I bought mine. That's when I came across the studies. Haven't looked recently.

ViperGeorge
02-05-2018, 07:47 PM

Here's a couple of write-ups on it, both of which say it is better for angular impacts. http://www.murraymotorsport.com/blog_posts/16-HANS-vs-Hybrid-Device
http://www.racedaysafety.com/whhenere.html

SRT_BluByU
02-06-2018, 05:14 PM
Cool thanks! Also does anyone know if the teamtech harness bar is required or are the lap and sub belt harness anchor locations already there and the harness bar is just for convience?

13COBRA
02-06-2018, 06:06 PM
Cool thanks! Also does anyone know if the teamtech harness bar is required or are the lap and sub belt harness anchor locations already there and the harness bar is just for convience?

You need the bar.

nrs1
02-06-2018, 06:26 PM

Appears to be some confusion of the 3 pt Simpson Hybrid with the normal Simpson Hybrid Sport/Pro. The "normal" units are meant to be used with 5/6 pt harnesses, while the 3 pt was developed for use with OEM belts.

kaamacat
02-07-2018, 12:37 PM

Yes... The TT bar has eyes on the ends for the lap straps to clip onto, and then obviously the bar itself for the
sub straps that go through the rear of your seat. (So the straps come fully under your legs and up). Their
mounting kit and bar come with the sub-bar, new nuts for that (replaces the two rear seat-track nuts), then
there are the two bolt-eyes behind your head in that mini-compartment where the VIPER logo is that screw
in for the shoulder straps... those also come with the TeamTech product.

sadil
08-30-2018, 10:36 AM
Anyone have photos of where the harness attaches to the car. I see 6 point harness are popular. Where are the 6 attachment points located on the Viper? Also, for the attachment point behind the seat, is it a bar? Can the harness straps be rapped around back there or is just a hook to attach to. I have seen lots of photos of cars with a harness but I haven't seen anyone do an install post with photos of where each piece of the harness attaches to.

EDIT: Spoke too soon. Searching always helps! https://driveviper.com/forums/threads/1152-Teamtech-6-point-Harness-Installed!?highlight=teamtech

13COBRA
08-30-2018, 04:35 PM
Anyone have photos of where the harness attaches to the car. I see 6 point harness are popular. Where are the 6 attachment points located on the Viper? Also, for the attachment point behind the seat, is it a bar? Can the harness straps be rapped around back there or is just a hook to attach to. I have seen lots of photos of cars with a harness but I haven't seen anyone do an install post with photos of where each piece of the harness attaches to.

EDIT: Spoke too soon. Searching always helps! https://driveviper.com/forums/threads/1152-Teamtech-6-point-Harness-Installed!?highlight=teamtech

Yes, spot on. It took me a bit to find the shoulder eye bolt holes. They were under some black rubbery tape.

sharmut
08-30-2018, 06:51 PM
The sub-belt bar in VENOM V 3rd photo looks a bit different than mine. The version I purchased from Teamtech has the eyelet holes for the lap belt.
http://teamtechmotorsports.com/shop/racing-seats/gen-5-viper-lapsub-anchor-bar/

Viperpartsusa sells a lower cost version that does not have the lap belt eyelet.
#295 521 998 00

Tlnorris
10-24-2018, 12:23 AM
Quick question what are any of you using to dummy plug the factory belt to prevent the beeping?

sharmut
10-24-2018, 12:47 AM
Quick question what are any of you using to dummy plug the factory belt to prevent the beeping?

I purchased a set from eBay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Universal-Carbon-Fiber-Car-Safety-Seat-Belt-Buckle-Alarm-Stopper-Clip-Clamp/141802104201?epid=8008388154&hash=item2104106589:rk:1:pf:0

Previously routed the seat belt behind the seat and plugged it in.

If I recall there is also a method to disable the chime via programming, you'll have to search this forum for the how-to.

38D
10-24-2018, 02:39 AM
I run Schroth 6pt with a Hans. Factory seats are decent, but a halo seat would be much better if one would fit.

Special Ed
10-24-2018, 05:24 AM
Here is the how to. I've done this on my car.
https://driveviper.com/forums/threads/4687-Turning-Off-the-Seat-Belt-Chime?highlight=seatbelt+chime

Jack B
10-24-2018, 03:42 PM
I purchased a set from eBay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Universal-Carbon-Fiber-Car-Safety-Seat-Belt-Buckle-Alarm-Stopper-Clip-Clamp/141802104201?epid=8008388154&hash=item2104106589:rk:1:pf:0

Previously routed the seat belt behind the seat and plugged it in.

If I recall there is also a method to disable the chime via programming, you'll have to search this forum for the how-to.

I believe I posted the sequence in 2014, all Chrysler vehicles use the same method.