PDA

View Full Version : Definition of Frustration

swexlin
01-20-2018, 08:08 AM
Beautiful blue sky, temp almost 50, Saturday morning, open roads - except the roads are still WHITE with SALT!

Argggh..........so the Viper continues to sit on the tender in the garage. Hasn't moved in 8 weeks now!

SRT_BluByU
01-20-2018, 08:22 AM
Could always move south!

Steve-Indy
01-20-2018, 08:28 AM
Be strong, Brother...be strong !!!

13COBRA
01-20-2018, 08:39 AM
Hell, up until this morning I still had snow/ice.

Viper98
01-20-2018, 08:41 AM
I hear ya, my friend. Mine has been in “hiber-mode” for 5/6 weeks. This coming driving season I think I will record our cruises and spirited driving. Then when the weather is bad I’ll just sit in the car watch videos and go “Vroom, vrooom, vroom, vroooom...”
Sorry, I was changing gears.

Hamrhead
01-20-2018, 08:52 AM
Beautiful blue sky, temp almost 50, Saturday morning, open roads - except the roads are still WHITE with SALT!

Argggh..........so the Viper continues to sit on the tender in the garage. Hasn't moved in 8 weeks now!

Right up the road from you - same problem.

I guess I should feel lucky as I had mine out the weekend before we got our first snow. What was that, a week or two before Christmas? Cleaned it up, charged the battery, and took it for a 15 mile cruise before I parked it in the back garage that day - where it hasn't moved since.

Don't see driving it again until Spring. :(

ViperJon
01-20-2018, 09:51 AM
Our roads here on Long Island are in good shape, we got nothing but rain lately. Problem is when I weigh the pleasure of a short cruise versus prepping it for winter storage AGAIN the lazy part of me wins. As it sits it's spotlessly clean, Sta-bil added to full tank of gas, on a battery tender and under cover. And will remain there.

01sapphirebob
01-20-2018, 10:15 AM

Both of mine have been sitting since mid October. Three months and no movement. Probably wont start them up till mid March. With the way the weather is around here a short drive isnt worth the clean up.

texasram
01-20-2018, 10:17 AM
Could always move south!

In houston and we still have salt all over the roads

swexlin
01-20-2018, 10:29 AM
Our roads here on Long Island are in good shape, we got nothing but rain lately. Problem is when I weigh the pleasure of a short cruise versus prepping it for winter storage AGAIN the lazy part of me wins. As it sits it's spotlessly clean, Sta-bil added to full tank of gas, on a battery tender and under cover. And will remain there.

I hear ya Jon. It's just I don't like letting cars sit. I know modern cars can sit for extended periods, but still, it's good to circulate the fluids by driving and keeping hoses and gaskets in good shape. Interesting though. I have a friend with a 94, it had sat for almost a year. For TOD last year, she got it out, had it inspected, changed the oil, and it didn't miss a beat on that trip.

If we had had rain this week to wash off the roads, I would be out driving.

Policy Limits
01-20-2018, 10:43 AM
Take it out. It washes off easily.

Steve-Indy
01-20-2018, 10:56 AM
One can wask it off easily...BUT, one cannot wash the salt dust out easily.

RedTanRT/10
01-20-2018, 11:01 AM
Its been 20 plus years since I've lived in cold and snow, I feel for you guys!!

Club has a nice run down to San Diego today, 30 vipers, sunny and 60's? I can't go but hoping to find some time to drive the RT/10 later.

Car wash and track prep day today for me, heading to Detroit Monday.

swexlin
01-20-2018, 12:13 PM
One can wask it off easily...BUT, one cannot wash the salt dust out easily.

This. There are literally clouds of salt dust swirling around every car on the road today. It's unreal.

Policy Limits
01-20-2018, 12:43 PM
It washes off easily, trust me. I snuck out last weekend and then cleaned it.

texasram
01-20-2018, 12:47 PM

negitive credibility points

Policy Limits
01-20-2018, 02:01 PM
Says the Texas ram. Hahaha.

DZnutz
01-20-2018, 03:34 PM

Make sure you state the car was winter driven when you go to sell

Policy Limits
01-20-2018, 03:45 PM
Never selling nut man, well documented. But thanks for playing

pMak26
01-20-2018, 03:47 PM
Eh, it's a good time to get some work done on it.

Scot@Prefix
01-20-2018, 06:48 PM
The Vipers with snow tires do pretty good in the snow.
This might make some guys sick, but they do get cleaned on a regular basis. Both have 9.0L packages and the Medusa has the new Xtreme package with a custom one off racing exhaust. Nothing like cold weather testing here in Michigan!

viperguy69
01-20-2018, 09:21 PM
This might make some guys sick, but they do get cleaned on a regular basis. Both have 9.0L packages and the Medusa has the new Xtreme package with a custom one off racing exhaust. Nothing like cold weather testing here in Michigan!

If you don't mind then I'm sure the car won't mind!

After all, a little salt never hurt anyone! It's not like the car is made out of a whole lot of metal anymore...

LABrit
01-20-2018, 10:27 PM
Snow? Salt?

Just finished a road trip to AZ and back!

Stealth78
01-21-2018, 05:55 PM
Never selling nut man, well documented. But thanks for playing

In all honesty for a car that I would never sell, I would never drive on salty roads. You may think it's clean but salt can travel in a dust form that will find itself into some of the tiniest crevices that you probably don't even have access to clean (without a complete disassembly). With that being said if what you state is true you may regret driving on salty roads 20 years from now.

Stealth78
01-21-2018, 05:59 PM

That is painful to look at but the intense testing that you guys perform is needed and appreciated by everyone on here as it shows the quality of what you guys to, testing to all extents. Not sure I would ever want to obtain one of those mules though.

swexlin
01-21-2018, 06:08 PM
So our forecast here is for heavy rain all day Tuesday (washing away the salt) and another 50 degree Saturday. Maybe, just maybe.......

Murpowa
01-22-2018, 07:16 AM
Pot hole city around here. Be careful :D

swexlin
01-22-2018, 07:21 AM
Pot hole city around here. Be careful :D

I know. I'm dodging them every morning!

nuviper
01-22-2018, 08:01 AM

Are the wheels on the bottom car stock sidewinder? Then what kind of tires do you use for the winter?

Scott_in_fl
01-22-2018, 09:25 AM
Snow? Salt?

Just finished a road trip to AZ and back!

Beautiful photo with the Arizona colors against the crystal blue sky... and the car ain't half bad either!

Tell us about the trip in another thread. Curious to hear how you liked driving an ACR-E over that distance, and on what must have been some great roads.

EDIT: Okay Scott, need to read further down the page. I see that you beat me to it.

Scot@Prefix
01-22-2018, 07:32 PM
Are the wheels on the bottom car stock sidewinder? Then what kind of tires do you use for the winter?

Hi Nuviper,

The convertible has earlier gen wheels, and the targa lower picture has gen 5 factory wheels.
I dont know all the names of the different wheel styles, or colors.

The rear wheels were narrowed 2" and the fronts were left alone.
Tires are Pirelli sottozero, can't remember the sizes off the top of my head but they were a little different from the factory size.

nuviper
01-23-2018, 08:04 AM
Hi Nuviper,

The convertible has earlier gen wheels, and the targa lower picture has gen 5 factory wheels.
I dont know all the names of the different wheel styles, or colors.

The rear wheels were narrowed 2" and the fronts were left alone.
Tires are Pirelli sottozero, can't remember the sizes off the top of my head but they were a little different from the factory size.

Thank you very much Scot!

DZnutz
01-23-2018, 09:30 AM
In all honesty for a car that I would never sell, I would never drive on salty roads. You may think it's clean but salt can travel in a dust form that will find itself into some of the tiniest crevices that you probably don't even have access to clean (without a complete disassembly). With that being said if what you state is true you may regret driving on salty roads 20 years from now.

EXACTLY!!! This just goes to show just because some one has a sports car, regardless of performance, there is a chance it has seen winter and salt. No one selling you their sports car will tell you that. then its ruined

GTS21
01-23-2018, 11:39 AM
in the same boat here in Kennett Square, PA. Actually drove the car up and down my driveway a few times just for funsies. 180 miles on the odo. Ugh. can't wait for the nicer weather.

swexlin
01-23-2018, 11:57 AM
in the same boat here in Kennett Square, PA. Actually drove the car up and down my driveway a few times just for funsies. 180 miles on the odo. Ugh. can't wait for the nicer weather.

The roads are clean now, and supposed to be in the 50s on Saturday. Barring unforeseen circumstances, a couple of us are planning on a small drive to lunch somewhere, late morning, leaving from C&C at Starbucks Dilworthown Plaza in West Chester. First time my car will be out in 9 weeks. Even if we don't do the drive, will just be good getting the car out.

BrianACR
01-23-2018, 01:03 PM
Must be nice to have a short winter. I am usually parked by October and lucky to have clear clean roads by mid April to May. Maybe get 5 months of driving season. But that short time is so much fun!

texasram
01-23-2018, 01:10 PM
Make sure you state the car was winter driven when you go to sell

This is what im saying.

swexlin
01-23-2018, 02:10 PM
Must be nice to have a short winter. I am usually parked by October and lucky to have clear clean roads by mid April to May. Maybe get 5 months of driving season. But that short time is so much fun!

Not a short winter, by any means. We're just getting a quick break - and we had heavy heavy rain today, so the roads are nice and clean! Back in the deep freeze by next week again.

SuperBird4404BBL
01-27-2018, 12:08 PM
Started my car today. Moved it off the backyard buddy and let it run for about a half an hour. Drove it up and down my 1320 foot driveway a few times, I have the same issue Scott does, salt swirls on the Pennsylvania roads.

swexlin
01-27-2018, 12:24 PM
Well, I just got back from an epic 62 mile drive on the back roads of Chester County, led by my buddy (who also owns an ACR) in his GT3 RS. We also had a couple others in our group. No salt - but plenty of horse shit, gravel and frost heaves. The Viper took it like a champ! Took her off the tender, and she fired up and drove like I had just driven her yesterday. Do have to clean her up a bit now.

Greg, get out there today! It's gorgeous!

PS - While I had to watch my speed some, the Corsas had plenty of traction, with temps in the high 40s. I wasn't really pushing it like in warm weather, but I was pleasantly surprised at the grip.