PDA

View Full Version : VA MD Interest Meeting

Viperenvy
01-11-2018, 07:40 AM
There are a number of us, roughly 9, that are meeting Monday January 15th for the initial "interest meeting" for the VA/MD chapter formation. Looks like we will have Baltimore, Great Frederick MD, Richmond, and the Metro DC represented.

If you are interested in attend and/or being on the mailing list and you and I have not spoken, then please PM me with your contact information so that we can talk and add you to our highjinx for 2018 as well as becoming a Founding Member.

Cheers,

Brian

Drummerviper
01-11-2018, 10:54 AM
Brian:

As I mentioned, I’m often too busy with work to make many events. Having said that I should be immediately disqualified from making the following observation — I think Va/ Md is hard to make work for the simple reason getting back and forth often involves a long stretch of Highway that’s been infamously dubbed the worst stretch of pavement in the US — namely I95 north of Fredericksburg. I use it often and would not wish it on my worst enemy. The thought of driving sports cars on that stretch is not a happy one.

I think the trip is why the history of Va/Md has been focused on one state or the other depending on where leadership is located. Back in the 90s virtually everything was in Va as our Prez was located in Williamsburg. Thereafter it became more Md centric. The events were great,the leadership terrific and hard working but I95 remained.

Anyway, I have no solutions but I think it is a difficult situation but not insurmountable.

Viperenvy
01-11-2018, 11:51 AM
A very important conversation on the docket - you hit the nail on the head as it was my first communication to National as a problem to having the geographical area with stupid crazy traffic.

I have some thoughts about how to resolve and look forward to the groups input.

BTW - everyone I have talked to loves the idea of meeting VIN 002 to pay homage. Thank you in advance :)

Just kidding - but would be very interesting. Call me when you can.

Viperenvy
01-12-2018, 06:17 AM
January 15th - Monday

12:00 for Lunch

Lost Dog Cafe
1690A Anderson Rd
McLean, VA 22102

ALL WELCOMED

Discuss deep history of the area, structure needed for a chapter, structure needed to cover the region, and possible 2018 events.

PM me so I can add you to the list :)

V10Sidepipes
01-12-2018, 12:40 PM
I am interested having been living in this area for several years now, but never seeing much of an organized group (despite there being half a dozen known vipers within 30 mins of me)...

However the main drawback then seems to be the main drawback now... it's hard to spend 3-5 hours a day just driving just to get to & from an event... (like now for example, as the location above is about 2 hours one-way from Richmond... not knocking the event or location, just providing perspective from someone who has lived here for a few years and has seen more than a few local vipers and talked to their owners...)

Viperenvy
01-12-2018, 01:20 PM
You hit the nail on the head.

PM'ed you with number to call

Brian

Whozaka
01-12-2018, 09:31 PM
Like I said in the email chain. I'm interested but when I joined I was put in the Carolinas. It would be nice to have people closer to me to go do stuff with. I'm not entirely sure what Im going to do yet.

Viperenvy
01-14-2018, 12:16 PM
January 15th - Monday

12:00 for Lunch

Lost Dog Cafe
1690A Anderson Rd
McLean, VA 22102

ALL WELCOMED

Discuss deep history of the area, structure needed for a chapter, structure needed to cover the region, and possible 2018 events.

PM me so I can add you to the list :)

8 owners
4 spouse

6 maybes

Look forward to officially meeting everyone!

Brian

Brian GTS
01-14-2018, 08:17 PM
Kudos to Brian you for putting this together in an effort to revitalize the VA/MD region! I think you have a great plan to host a meeting and gather input from members. Looks like you may have a good showing, kudos to those attending as well!

As others have mentioned, geography can play a role for some. However, our region has found that once members get to know each other, many become friends, and travelling a few hours for a weekend event isn't that big of a deal. A majority of our members that attend our Myrtle Beach event travel 4 hours or more. The same with our Biltmore event where most that attend travel 3-5 hours. Each year we join AL/TN for the Tail of the Dragon. Again, we have many of our members travel 5-6 hours to attend.

Eventually it becomes more about the people and the fun than it does the travel investment. Heck, we make the journey to our events 1/2 the fun with our Viper caravans, lunch stops, etc.

Again, good for you. Hope ya'll have a great meeting!

Whozaka
01-14-2018, 08:57 PM
Okay so I'm part of the Carolinas but I live in Virginia Beach/Chesapeake Area. I don't know what to do. Brian and I have talked on the phone before my official VOA membership was established. I just want to be able to meet with other Viper folks without having to drive two states away.

Brian GTS
01-14-2018, 10:20 PM
Okay so I'm part of the Carolinas but I live in Virginia Beach/Chesapeake Area. I don't know what to do. Brian and I have talked on the phone before my official VOA membership was established. I just want to be able to meet with other Viper folks without having to drive two states away.

Understood. My suggestion would be to test drive some events in the Carolinas and Virginia/Maryland this year. When renewal time arrives, choose the region that makes the most sense to you. We've had some Georgia members attend a couple of our events in the past. It's all good.

Herrsss
01-15-2018, 10:57 AM

If you want to switch regions call HQ and Bridgett can take care of that for you.

01sapphirebob
01-15-2018, 01:54 PM
Kudos to Brian for trying to get this rolling. As I mentioned on the phone, if need anything or have any questions...just give me a call! :)

Viperenvy
01-15-2018, 04:25 PM
1st unofficial meeting is in the books.

We discussed:
- Viper organizational history
- Requirements to formalizing the chapter
- Events for 2018
- Potential Officers

Future events

- February 17th
National Harbor in the evening for dinner. Location TBD
1. Officer elections
2. Finalized By-Laws
3. 2018 Schedule Refined
4. Formalized Area Director position

- April 29th
Fluids Day - Location TBD

- May 5th
Greenbrier Concours d'Elegance ( https://www.greenbrierconcours.com/concours.html )
Viper Class
Mr. Roy Sjober Guest Speaker ( https://www.greenbrierconcours.com/news/category/roy-sjoberg )

Monthly meetings around the metro DC are will expand geographically as the chapter is formalized and events are determined.

[/ATTACH]30591

01sapphirebob
01-15-2018, 06:28 PM
1st unofficial meeting is in the books.

We discussed:
- Viper organizational history
- Requirements to formalizing the chapter
- Events for 2018
- Potential Officers

Future events

- February 17th
National Harbor in the evening for dinner. Location TBD
1. Officer elections
2. Finalized By-Laws
3. 2018 Schedule Refined
4. Formalized Area Director position

- April 29th
Fluids Day - Location TBD

- May 5th
Greenbrier Concours d'Elegance ( https://www.greenbrierconcours.com/concours.html )
Viper Class
Mr. Roy Sjober Guest Speaker ( https://www.greenbrierconcours.com/news/category/roy-sjoberg )

Monthly meetings around the metro DC are will expand geographically as the chapter is formalized and events are determined.

[/ATTACH]30591

:dude3::dude3:

Whozaka
01-15-2018, 08:46 PM
I've been working night shift. 10pm to 6am. I wanted to make it. Perhaps when a meeting is closer to the Virginia Beach area.

jdeft1
01-21-2018, 08:35 PM
I'm interested. I'm a long time G1 owner.... Just outside DC, Fairfax area. I'll try to make the Feb 17 dinner meeting when you post time and location.