PDA

View Full Version : Need Help - Potential Viper Purchase

Creatre
02-07-2014, 09:50 PM
Hey guys,

I just put a deposit down on a 2005 Copperhead Vert (#265) located in Houston. Looks like a super clean car and a great deal on a Copperhead, which is something I've really been looking for, but never thought I'd find the "right one." This one feels right from talking with the guy selling it, who has been able to give me information from the previous owner about maintenance, condition, etc.

Can see the generic ad here: http://www.myautoconnectionusa.com/2005_Dodge_Viper_HOUSTON_TX_224795147.veh

With that said: Can anyone go take a look at it for me? Or know someone that would be able to? I would be willing to pay for your time.

I'm just looking for someone with some viper knowledge to look for a few key things to make sure this is the right Viper for me. I don't really need someone to do a full engine breakdown test on it. But, I've been bitten in the past by buying cars long distance which looked good in pics, but weren't necessarily the best condition and had been in previous wrecks when I got the car. Just want to make sure it's never been repainted, never been wrecked, and drivetrain appears to be in good mechanical condition. I can tell the car has mismatching tires (runflats front, ps2 rear) and the fronts are 4 years old, the rears 6. I've already negotiated the price down in order to cover cost of replacement tires. Also might have a borla exhaust? Definitely aftermarket. I will be shipping it from Houston, so I will never actually see the car before having it sent to me here in Georgia.

Any help is appreciated! Please PM or respond here if you can help and we can arrange something. :dancingman:

slitherv10
02-08-2014, 09:25 AM
Not sure about the estimated times he posted there..

Estimated Performance Specs 0-60 mph - 3.74 seconds
1/4 mile - 12.51 seconds at 116.51 mph

Can't help on my end as I am too far, but there are a lot of good members in that area that can definitely help I'm sure and may even know the car or person selling it.

Lots of great Viper shops in that area as well that you can take it too to get a good check over.

Not that , that should make a difference in buying it. just saying.

slysnake
02-08-2014, 11:31 AM
Copperhead Edition is one of the most beautiful editions ever produced. :) And, for the milage, the price on that one looks pretty good. Mismatched tires sure seems odd. Not sure why he would put runflats on the front only four years ago. Why wouldn't they be replaced with PS2s? I would wonder if those were the original tires, in which case they would be quite old and have 30k+ miles on them. Then it would make you wonder about what else he's not telling you. Did you get an auto check or car fax? I'm sure someone here could run one for you.

Creatre
02-08-2014, 04:02 PM
Hahaha, Im sure those performance specs were copy pasted from somewhere.

Ive got a car fax on the car and looks good, but 4 owners. Previous owner was a big car guy and pretty ocd so the car is in good condition under his care, but i dont know much before that.

They sent pics on the tires that showed the age, so thats accurate. I agree and not sure why they would throw newer runflats on the front and not match. That was done before the previous owner. Either way Ill be replacing so not a big deal.

Do you guys have any names of shops I can call? Or anyone else willing to take a look? Just want some extra reassurance if possible!

swexlin
02-08-2014, 04:17 PM
Isn't NineBall down in that area? Also, the performance specs: 0-60 is about right, a stock Gen 3 should get 3.8-3.9 on runflats, probably a little better on PS2s. However, the quarter is slow....again, a stock Gen 3 should get into the high 11s in the quarter. Standard things to look at are: oil cooler lines, e-brake pads. Others can chime in. Pretty robust cars.

Bitten
02-08-2014, 10:05 PM
PM Nine Ball. He is a forum vendor and he would probably help you out! He knows the cars and is into the performance end.

blk_fxstc
02-09-2014, 07:39 AM
Where is it in Houston? The metro area is pretty big, if you have an exact location or what side of town that would help, there are members scattered all over the metro.

Nine Ball
02-09-2014, 07:52 AM
Dealership site shows it near downtown Houston. http://www.myautoconnectionusa.com/directions.aspx

I sometimes get to work downtown, but rarely. I live a good 45 minutes away, making it difficult to get down there during normal business hours. You might also consider a pro inspection, I've used places like this in other cities. I see these vans driving around town sometimes. http://www.autoexam.com/news.html

Tony

Mbccenter
02-09-2014, 08:25 AM
Just a FYI a local member here asked me to sell his copperhead. It is a one owner and very clean. He has a ACR also and is getting a gen 5 so no room for 3.

LifeIsGood
02-09-2014, 08:35 AM
Pet peeve of mine...no engine pictures. Also, the pictures aren't at the best resolution...kinda fuzzy. Good luck!

Creatre
02-09-2014, 10:06 AM
Thanks guys.

Ill probably check that place nineball suggested and at least get confirmation frame is good and wasnt a previous wrecked car. Thatd be a start for sure!

Ive been trying to get him to drive it up to Tomball to have them take a look, but no dice because of liability of driving it!

Nine Ball
02-09-2014, 11:56 AM
Ive been trying to get him to drive it up to Tomball to have them take a look, but no dice because of liability of driving it!

That sounds a bit fishy. In TX, you only need to put the Dealer tag on the car to drive it. In this pic, it shows the tag on the car, which means he has been driving it.

http://cimg.carsforsale.com/350712/9BDA1C29-AA57-4A54-9C84-6079DDE7FBA0_2.jpg

Creatre
02-09-2014, 12:44 PM
That sounds a bit fishy. In TX, you only need to put the Dealer tag on the car to drive it. In this pic, it shows the tag on the car, which means he has been driving it.

http://cimg.carsforsale.com/350712/9BDA1C29-AA57-4A54-9C84-6079DDE7FBA0_2.jpg

Right, I was kind of wondering about that as well. He had told me earlier that he had been driving it, but he does live about a mile from where his cars are, so I would assume he meant the liability of the extended driving though. I feel like that's kind of what insurance is for, and he shouldn't be worried about driving it.