PDA

View Full Version : "Just Lucky To Be Here"

Tom Welch
10-28-2013, 08:17 AM
Best of luck to this site and organization!

ViperSmith
10-28-2013, 09:00 AM
Tom, look forward to reading some of your adventures with nitrous!

Lokien
10-28-2013, 09:25 AM
Hello Tom, pleased to 'meet' you!

VENOM V
10-28-2013, 02:12 PM
Damn! 9 seconds and 149.75 mph. I bet the temptation to round to 150 is unbearable, lol.

I did an 8.91 second pass at I think 173mph in a Roy Hill door slammer, what a rush that was. It's been a few years, but man was it fun.

Tom Welch
10-29-2013, 06:58 AM
Thanks...I look forward to making some nitrous runs this coming weekend, Viper ECU permitting....lol

Yes, the 149 MPH was nice...actually the car has been over 150MPH in the 1/4 but not with a quicker E.T.

I had some other quick street cars, the fastest being a 1970 Dodge Dart (tube chassis) with full street equipment that ran 8.50's at an average of 168 MPH, with no power adders, just motor. Was a sweet ride.

ViperSmith
10-29-2013, 07:16 AM
Tom, did you see marks suggestion About the front wheel sensors?

Ev1E9
10-29-2013, 11:17 AM
Me too. I just left the alley. I need a shower.

VENOM V
10-29-2013, 11:23 AM
Me too. I just left the alley. I need a shower.

LOL, I can relate! I don't know how some of those guys can look at themselves in the mirror. Plenty of good guys there but the forum is rampant with negativity and hate, and I don't see the mods giving a crap about it. I've never seen such a cesspool in all my years. No disrespect to the good guys over there that have thicker skin than me, but life's too short to put up with that place.

SmoknTires
10-29-2013, 06:25 PM
We're hoping to strike a good balance here, and I want to say I'm very much liking the tone and excitement people have had.

We all know the VCA was not only obsessive, but pretty strategic about who/what they censor, and many times it was to control information they didn't want members to see. On the flipside, the other forums out there a little too loose and it ends up allowing people to create pissing matches and spread negativities a bit too much - creates a bad taste over time and people could become hesitant to post.

When it comes to content, the moderators (bless them for doing this) have agreed to adopt a very liberal stance on content. After all, the whole point is to allow folks to communicate openly. The line will be drawn at vulgarities, attacks, etc... We'll see how it goes, but controlling information is always what causes people to take exception. Hoping we can keep this site extremely liberal with regard to content.

Thanks to everyone for using the forums in the right spirit. And thanks to those working in the background making sure things run smooth. As for trolls, we'll all have to keep our eyes peeled and weed them out.

Fastandloud
10-29-2013, 08:48 PM
We're hoping to strike a good balance here, and I want to say I'm very much liking the tone and excitement people have had.

We all know the VCA was not only obsessive, but pretty strategic about who/what they censor, and many times it was to control information they didn't want members to see. On the flipside, the other forums out there a little too loose and it ends up allowing people to create pissing matches and spread negativities a bit too much - creates a bad taste over time and people could become hesitant to post.

When it comes to content, the moderators (bless them for doing this) have agreed to adopt a very liberal stance on content. After all, the whole point is to allow folks to communicate openly. The line will be drawn at vulgarities, attacks, etc... We'll see how it goes, but controlling information is always what causes people to take exception. Hoping we can keep this site extremely liberal with regard to content.

Thanks to everyone for using the forums in the right spirit. And thanks to those working in the background making sure things run smooth. As for trolls, we'll all have to keep our eyes peeled and weed them out.

This ^^^^^^^^ etc

viperr
10-29-2013, 09:04 PM
I am in agreement about the polite tone, with room for humor etc., but the posts are nothing that you would be ashamed for people to se. I am so looking forward to this new organization.

Tom Welch
11-08-2013, 08:49 AM
Smith.....yes i did see his post about the front wheel sensors...I have not tried a disconnect as it's possible that a code would be thrown as seeing a malfunctioning part. I will try it though if needed.

Some updates......

Going to a test and tune at Atlanta Dragway tonight....it's the last night the track is open for the year so will probably be crowded. Using stock tires which I have no confidence in a decent launch and 60' time but lets see how it goes. Without scientific back up, but plenty of on track experience I can say that "Z" rated tires do not like the drag racing surface which is comprised of rubber over concrete on the launch pad then transitions to either concrete or asphalt with a thin layer of rubber and aged traction compound (in most cases). As example, my SLR Mclaren could not get down the track with the stock "Z" rated tires and an average street provided much better traction....I put drag radials on it and immediately dropped into the 10's whereas on stock tires it just slid around and was lucky to run a high 11 on and off the throttle all the way down the track with horrible 60' times. My 2013 ZL-1 Camaro suffered the same fate....."Z" rated tires kept it from getting traction and I ran it with the slick tire cars just to ensure i was following someone who put good heat in the prepped track just before my run.....I had several others before those that had the same exact problems.

In some street testing 2 evenings ago.....i noticed CLEARLY the infamous "brake light" issue as I let my brother try a run......and HE told me also that when he was behind me he also noticed the same phenomenon....and I know i never touched the brake pedal! Furthermore, during his run at the top of 3rd gear the car lost power and went into limp home mode. He pulled over but let it run...it was fumbling and bumbling missing on cylinders (im sure controlled by the ECU). I told him to shut it off and restart and he did which cleared and cured the issue instantly. I do not have a diagnostic tool and there were no saved codes in the information center. His run differed from mine in that he had the windows down only and the IAT was showing about 90 Degrees which was about 7 degrees hotter then on my run. Could that ECU know this somehow? sounds ridiculous.

Both of the runs noted above where using nitrous. I made another run all the way up through 4th gear on nitrous immediately following the limp home issue and the car performed flawlessly. Hope there is not a one off gremlin in this particular Viper. I read some blogs about a few Gen IV Vipers having wiring harness issues that were affecting the Crank and Cam sensors causing similar problems.

Will keep everyone posted on how it goes this evening.