PDA

View Full Version : Flush Fit Aluminum Gauge Ring Bezel Interest

ACR_Matt
11-20-2017, 04:52 PM
Years ago there was a company that made awesome aluminum gauge trim bezel rings for our cars. Sadly they were astronomically priced and are no longer available anywhere as far as I know. Id like to reproduce them again if there's enough interest to make it economical. They're modeled after the original parts with a slight modification to get them to fit a bit better. They will be CNC'd from 6061 T6 aluminum and will be available in bare or polished finishes with powder coating available as well. Maybe even anodizing if enough people want it. Anyways here's some pics:

Simms
11-20-2017, 05:16 PM
Nice! I usd to have a set on my 96.

ACR_Matt
11-20-2017, 05:33 PM
Nice! I usd to have a set on my 96.

They're a nice little addition right!? Have any installed pics of them? This is the only pic of them installed that I've come across. 29738

TheMadMachinist
11-20-2017, 06:35 PM
Nice looking parts

98RedGTS
11-20-2017, 09:22 PM
Tuned in and interested.

LifeIsGood
11-20-2017, 09:54 PM
Definitely interested.

ACR_Matt
11-20-2017, 10:13 PM
Tuned in and interested.

I've been running the numbers and talking to my cnc guy, each set is going to be around $105 if there's enough interest for 10 sets. Powder coating, polishing and anodizing will add a little to the cost on a case by case basis.

TP_ GTS
11-21-2017, 10:50 AM
:fpopcorn:

I'm interested.

PittsburghRT
11-21-2017, 11:05 AM
Nice job. I have a polished set on my 01 GTS. They came from ZAF- Zero Altitude Flight. Years back they were over $400.

PRVT JET
11-21-2017, 12:34 PM
Also interested!

ACR_Matt
11-21-2017, 01:12 PM
We're almost there! I'm really happy about being able to bring these back for everyone. Feeling very blessed to not only own my childhood dream car but be able to make some parts for it as well. Big thanks to everyone!

So far we have a few commitments from Facebook so the list is as follows:
1) Micheal S. (FB) {PAID}
2) Phil H. (FB) [Powder coated] {PAID}
3) 98RedGTS {PAID}
4) PRVT JET
5) Shawn C. (FB) *Polished*
6) DublinOH *Polished* {PAID}
7) My98RT10 {PAID}
8) AViP ~Message center ring if feasible~ {PAID}
9)SARaptor
10) G2 Silver Snake {PAID}
11) Red Snake {PAID}
And myself of course! :dude3:

Very exciting! If you want something other than the satiny finish that matches the 99-02 facelift cars just message me or post what you'd like. Thanks everyone!

Here's a few pics comparing stock vs these bezels. On the earlier cars with black bezels it will make the most dramatic improvement, but it's a really classy touch IMO for the later cars as well. 2974329744

DublinOH
11-21-2017, 02:32 PM
I'll take a polished set. Let me know where to send funds.

ACR_Matt
11-21-2017, 05:35 PM
I'll take a polished set. Let me know where to send funds.

Got you on the list! I don't have a price for the polished rings yet but once I do I'll let you know. Finishing options and shipping will be settled once the rings are produced and ready to ship. Payment can be sent to Mwrobbins1@gmail.com via PayPal. Be sure to include your forum username so I can mark you as paid.

LifeIsGood
11-21-2017, 07:34 PM
So I had this question...

How many trim rings are we talking about?

speedometer/odometer
tachometer
message center
engine coolant temperature gauge
engine oil pressure gauge
fuel gauge
voltmeter

So I went out to my viper to make sure I had everything listed and noticed I already have rings on all these except the message center. What an idiot...I'd never even noticed. A previous owner must have installed them. I was sure the viper was completely stock when I bought it.

I guess you can take me off the list.

ACR_Matt
11-21-2017, 08:18 PM
So I had this question...

How many trim rings are we talking about?

speedometer/odometer
tachometer
message center
engine coolant temperature gauge
engine oil pressure gauge
fuel gauge
voltmeter

So I went out to my viper to make sure I had everything listed and noticed I already have rings on all these except the message center. What an idiot...I'd never even noticed. A previous owner must have installed them. I was sure the viper was completely stock when I bought it.

I guess you can take me off the list.

No worries! I like that it's a mod that looks like it should be OEM and that's an excellent testament to how good they look.

To answer your question as there's probably others wondering the same thing; the kit will cover every gauge besides the message cluster. I personally don't like how it draws attention to a blank space. It also is a different size than the others and would mount differently. Additionally it would add a decent chunk to the price so I didn't spend time designing it again. However, if the message center ring is something people would like I can certainly model it and get a quote. It will be more expensive. 10 kits would mean just 10 message center rings and that doesn't spread the machining costs out very well.

98RedGTS
11-22-2017, 06:49 PM
Super excited about these. Let me know when they are ready and I'll PP you.

AviP
11-22-2017, 07:16 PM
They look great. How do they install? Do they change the coverage on the gauge? I couldn't tell from the photos.

ACR_Matt
11-22-2017, 09:01 PM
Designed the message center ring today and got a quote for them. If just three people want the message center ring it adds $120 per kit. The price drops dramatically to $40 each if everyone wants it included with their kits.. So comment or DM me if you'd like the kit with, or without, the message center ring.

ACR_Matt
11-22-2017, 09:12 PM
They look great. How do they install? Do they change the coverage on the gauge? I couldn't tell from the photos.

Thanks! They're just slightly oversized and tapered, making them snap into place over the gauge face and held in place by the small rubber gasket at the base of the gauge lens.. Very tight, secure fit that doesn't require adhesives. You'll have to elaborate a bit more as to your coverage question. The gauges are just as easy to read as they were before but instead of cheap plastic surrounds there's gorgeous billet aluminum to feast your eyes on. The Tach/Speedo gauge are different thicknesses than the others, there just wasn't enough room to make them the same width.

My98RT10
11-22-2017, 11:43 PM
Will you also ship overseas? Then I am in for a set, too (but without message center). Thanks!

ACR_Matt
11-23-2017, 09:59 AM
Will you also ship overseas? Then I am in for a set, too (but without message center). Thanks!

I'm definitely willing to ship overseas. I'll get you on the list! Thanks!!

ACR_Matt
11-23-2017, 10:11 AM
We're close enough to 10 that I'll pay for the last set until someone else jumps in on the group buy. I'll get the order sent in Friday or Monday! Thanks to those that have paid already! For the rest just pay at your convenience. It will take about two and half weeks to get them produced. (Other parts in front of us tying up the machine.) Really appreciate everyone helping out to get these parts made!

-Matt

AviP
11-23-2017, 10:17 AM
Thanks! They're just slightly oversized and tapered, making them snap into place over the gauge face and held in place by the small rubber gasket at the base of the gauge lens.. Very tight, secure fit that doesn't require adhesives. You'll have to elaborate a bit more as to your coverage question. The gauges are just as easy to read as they were before but instead of cheap plastic surrounds there's gorgeous billet aluminum to feast your eyes on. The Tach/Speedo gauge are different thicknesses than the others, there just wasn't enough room to make them the same width.

Ok, sign me up for a set in the brushed finish. Also, count me in for the message center at $40, but not at $120.

ACR_Matt
11-23-2017, 10:32 AM
Ok, sign me up for a set in the brushed finish. Also, count me in for the message center at $40, but not at $120.

Outstanding, added to the list! What's your cut off price wise for the message center ring? Several people have already expressed they don't want the message center ring so getting 10 people to share the cost is out. If 5 people want it, the cost would be around $75. Just guessing on that number, I'd have to talk with them to get exact quotes.

98RedGTS
11-23-2017, 04:11 PM
Payment sent. Sorry for delay, just saw you posted that info.

ACR_Matt
11-23-2017, 04:48 PM
Payment sent. Sorry for delay, just saw you posted that info.

No worries! I won't be able to order until Monday anyways. Just updated the list! Thanks Brad!

ACR_Matt
11-23-2017, 06:50 PM
If anyone else wants in just let me know. It's not limited to 10 sets, that's just how many sets were needed to make it economical for everyone.

ACR_Matt
11-26-2017, 06:14 PM
Ordering the gauge rings morning, if anyone else wants a set please contact me before 12pm central time. Thanks to everyone who helped make this possible!

ICPREY
11-26-2017, 06:20 PM
Nice product, my 99 already has them. I always thought it was factory.

SARaptor
11-26-2017, 07:21 PM
Interested as well.

My98RT10
11-26-2017, 11:33 PM
Nice product, my 99 already has them. I always thought it was factory.

Yours are probably factory, as 1999-2002 came with silver rings. But they are plastic and not aluminum, I believe...

G2 Silver Snake
11-27-2017, 03:20 AM
Matt please add me to the order for the gauge rings. Thanks

ACR_Matt
11-27-2017, 08:30 AM
Matt please add me to the order for the gauge rings. Thanks

Interested as well.

Added to the list. Thank you! PayPal is Mwrobbins1@gmail.com be sure to include your VOA username and shipping address in the notes section so I can mark you as paid.

ACR_Matt
11-27-2017, 08:35 AM
Yours are probably factory, as 1999-2002 came with silver rings. But they are plastic and not aluminum, I believe...

Correct, 99-02 had silver painted plastic bezels. Looks really nice but still cheap plastic at the end of the day. The pic below compares the OEM 99-02 painted bezel (left) with the aluminum trim we're having made (right). Biggest difference is the trim goes all the way to the gauge face instead of leaving a black void and of course the sheen of billet aluminum vs painted plastic. The difference in person is much more dramatic.

TP_ GTS
11-27-2017, 08:36 AM
Hmmmm..

I just realized I already have the bezels on mine also.

'01 GTS.

Red Snake
11-27-2017, 09:01 AM
I'll take a set in the regular finish. Sending PayPal funds

Edit: money sent

ACR_Matt
11-27-2017, 11:07 AM
I'll take a set in the regular finish. Sending PayPal funds

Edit: money sent

Got you on the list!! Just in time, I'm going to send the order in within the hour! Thanks!

ACR_Matt
11-27-2017, 01:05 PM
Gauge ring kits have been ordered! Big thank you to everyone who made this group buy possible. I ordered two extra sets just in case. Also thank you to everyone who has paid already. If the rest of you can pay asap that would be great. If you need a different way to pay than PayPal just message me and we'll work something out. Thanks again everyone!

G2 Silver Snake
11-27-2017, 09:25 PM
Added to the list. Thank you! PayPal is Mwrobbins1@gmail.com be sure to include your VOA username and shipping address in the notes section so I can mark you as paid.

Matt, payment has been sent

ACR_Matt
11-27-2017, 10:32 PM
Matt, payment has been sent

Payment received. Thanks again Charlie!

99RT10
11-27-2017, 11:57 PM
Hey Matt,
payment sent, check PMs

ACR_Matt
11-28-2017, 12:10 AM
Hey Matt,
payment sent, check PMs

Got it, big thanks to you for helping to make this possible for everyone!

AviP
11-28-2017, 09:15 AM
Payment sent. Sorry for the delay. Also to answer your question about the message center ring, I think $50 would be the most I'd want to pay for it. Let me have a look at whether it looks odd without it and I'll let you know the cost of desperation. :-) Thanks Matt.

Viper98
11-28-2017, 10:17 AM
Are there more going to be made?

I would like the tach & Speedo rings only. Do not want the message Ctr.

Thank you

Jer’

ACR_Matt
11-28-2017, 01:13 PM
Payment sent. Sorry for the delay. Also to answer your question about the message center ring, I think $50 would be the most I'd want to pay for it. Let me have a look at whether it looks odd without it and I'll let you know the cost of desperation. :-) Thanks Matt.

Got your payment! Thanks! So far no one else has expressed wanting the message center ring. I'll pester the manufacturer and see if I can't get the price down on them some more. Set up fees for small batches is killer sometimes but maybe they'll work with me a little.

ACR_Matt
11-28-2017, 01:19 PM
Are there more going to be made?

I would like the tach & Speedo rings only. Do not want the message Ctr.

Thank you

Jer’

I've received a lot of interest after I submitted the order. I'm going to call and try to have a few more added to it to meet the additional demand. If not I'll be doing another group buy for these soon I'm sure. This evening I'll go through the list and get a solid number on just how many more are needed. Thanks everyone!!! All pm's have been responded to and the list will be updated shortly.

Red Snake
12-13-2017, 01:58 PM
Just checking in.

Any updates or estimated timeline on these?

ACR_Matt
12-13-2017, 04:58 PM
Just checking in.

Any updates or estimated timeline on these?

Just checked in with them, looks like they're shipping the 21st. I'll do my best to get them to everyone by Christmas. However, those who picked polished or powder coated will be shipping out after Christmas. 30083

Red Snake
12-14-2017, 04:58 PM
Nice. Thanks!!

Viper98
12-23-2017, 04:57 PM
Hey Matt, I think I sent you an email last week. Just checking; I’m not so savvy sometimes.

Thank you

Merry Christmas

Jer’

Fatboy 18
12-24-2017, 02:49 AM
Any pics of the polished rings?

ACR_Matt
12-31-2017, 01:40 PM
Any pics of the polished rings?

No pictures of the polished rings yet. I'll be sure to post some. Also have one set being color matched for a 96. I'm excited to see that set installed!

Fatboy 18
12-31-2017, 01:47 PM
Happy New Year, thanks for the update.

ACR_Matt
12-31-2017, 01:52 PM
Hope everyone has had a great Christmas and best wishes for the coming new year! Just to give everyone a quick update. The rings were set to ship out on the 21st and they didn't meet that deadline. The machine shop has been closed until the 2nd so I'll call Tuesday to find out what the issue was. They did provide me with an updated ship date of the 10th though. I'm very sorry for the delay, I really wanted to get these to everyone for Christmas. I'm in the process of designing several other parts, (including some carbon fiber goodies) so I'm willing to give everyone who was a part of the group buy a discount towards one of the future projects. If that's not agreeable with you just pm me and we'll work something out.

I'm not doing this to make a living, just trying to cover the expenses of machining and my time. My reward from this is I get to give back to the Viper community and make custom parts for my car that I wouldn't normally be able to afford as a one off. These gauge rings would've been nearly $400 as a 1 of 1 part. So I really appreciate everyone taking a chance on this project with me. If mods have any issues with what I'm doing please pm me and I'll make it right however I need to. Thank you.

98RedGTS
12-31-2017, 02:27 PM
Curious on what other parts you've got in mind.

ACR_Matt
12-31-2017, 02:33 PM
Curious on what other parts you've got in mind.

Mainly interior parts, two are in the 3d printing test fit stage right now. The part that's closest to production is a catch can kit that discretely mounts near the dipstick and requires drilling no holes or other permanent modifications. 30267

ACR_Matt
12-31-2017, 02:55 PM
Then there's this little beauty that I'm currently working on. Can't decide if I want to to go with the Gen V or III/IV inspiration so I'm designing it both ways. 30269 It would come with a new shift boot and will mount without any permanent modifications.

ACR_Matt
01-10-2018, 08:21 PM
Great news everyone! Our gauge rings are in at last!! For those of you that picked polished or powder coated that process will begin tomorrow. For the rest of you, shipping will begin tomorrow or Friday! If you haven't paid please do so by the end of the week or forfeit your set. If you wanted a set but were unable to get in on this group buy I will start another as soon as the last person from this current batch has received theirs. Enough blabbering! Pics!

That's not all of them, just what I have opened so far. Overall I'm extremely pleased with how they fit. I modified the design slightly from the originals so they sit a little more flush and lock into place with a nice audible click. No glue or adhesive required. I hope all of you like how they turned out as much as I do. Hope I can bring more reasonably priced parts to everyone in the future. If you have ideas for parts or complaints about an OEM design that you think could be a little better shoot me a pm. Already working on a cheap 3d printed fix for the center console flexing/cracking and the rattling gas pedal among other things!

ACR_Matt
01-12-2018, 05:25 PM

Here's some install pics! The fit on the gauges is very tight and secure. On my dash some of gauges weren't dead center in the dash openings and those proved a little harder to get into place than the others, otherwise they fit great. People should start receiving their kits next week. After everyone has theirs and is satisfied, I'll do another run of them. Polished kits and powder coated kits have been sent off for their respective finishes and will arrive a few days after the brushed satin kits. Special thanks again to Mike (99RT10) and everyone else who participated in this group buy!

Red Snake
01-13-2018, 07:14 AM
Awesome. Can't wait to get them in.

VPRVNUM
01-14-2018, 01:15 PM
I’m interested for the next batch!!

LifeIsGood
01-14-2018, 08:44 PM
They look great. I'm in for a brushed satin set including the message center ring.

RoyV101621
01-15-2018, 07:57 PM
I don't log in here as often as I used to. I missed this opportunity. I would be interested in a GEN1 kit.

Red Snake
01-18-2018, 04:46 AM
Did these go out yet? Can you pm me tracking info?

ACR_Matt
01-18-2018, 09:24 AM
All of the brushed satin sets have shipped and will be arriving this Friday at the latest. The polished sets have been set to my good friend in Texas to be polished to a mirror shine. They should be shipping Friday or Monday. Thanks for everyone's patience during this first batch. First time doing something like this. I'll have things running much smoother from here on out.

nd4spdlsc
01-19-2018, 01:37 AM
Shoot! Just saw this thread. Any as machined sets left? How do these install? Do they slip over the existing trim rings?

ACR_Matt
01-19-2018, 05:38 PM
Shoot! Just saw this thread. Any as machined sets left? How do these install? Do they slip over the existing trim rings?

I have one set left but am waiting to hear back from the first person who asked about extra sets. I'll do another batch of them soon. The first round (minus polished sets) should have arrived to everyone today so I think I'll open up orders again next Friday once I've heard back about the fit/finish. The price is unfortunately going to have to be increased a little, but it's still less than 1/2 of what similar kits sold for years ago.

It's important to note that I designed these to press fit into the gauge face. It's a TIGHT fit and requires a little patience, especially if your gauges aren't centered in the dash opening(Like my car). Once they're in though they won't be coming out easily. I'd call it a semi-permanent install because of how secure the fit is. If that prospect bothers you or the dash is causing interference, I left enough room for some double sided tape on the flange to secure them to the gauge faces.

Big thanks to everyone who took part in this first batch and a special thanks to Mike for supplying the originals I based the design on.

G2 Silver Snake
01-21-2018, 07:47 AM
Matt, Thank-You and thanks to the others involved in designing and producing the aluminium Bezel rings. The fit is nice and snug and the bezels are aerospace quality. The install took only about 15 and the bezels look absolutely fantastic. Thanks for pulling this together. Nicely done Matt!

ACR_Matt
01-21-2018, 11:42 AM
Matt, Thank-You and thanks to the others involved in designing and producing the aluminium Bezel rings. The fit is nice and snug and the bezels are aerospace quality. The install took only about 15 and the bezels look absolutely fantastic. Thanks for pulling this together. Nicely done Matt!

Thank you sir!!! They look great in your car! If you have any ideas or suggestions for improvements, please by all means send me a message. I want to make the best parts I possibly can for us!

Polished sets should be shipping Monday from Texas.
The powder coated set should ship Wednesday if all goes well.

98RedGTS
01-22-2018, 08:13 AM
Thank you sir!!! They look great in your car! If you have any ideas or suggestions for improvements, please by all means send me a message. I want to make the best parts I possibly can for us!

Polished sets should be shipping Monday from Texas.
The powder coated set should ship Wednesday if all goes well.
By any chance do you have tracking info on your shipments? I saw where you said everyone should have got theirs last week. So far I haven't seen mine show up yet.

ACR_Matt
01-22-2018, 10:38 AM
Pm headed your way. Yours should've been there last Friday or Saturday.

If anyone else that ordered the satin brushed sets still hasn't gotten theirs please DM me and I'll send the tracking number. I guess USPS is using the shut down as an excuse to be particularly sloppy.

Red Snake
01-22-2018, 03:43 PM
I haven't received mine either. PM inbound.

ACR_Matt
01-22-2018, 04:14 PM
I haven't received mine either. PM inbound.

Pm and email sent! Thanks Tim.

98RedGTS
01-22-2018, 05:03 PM
Were in the box when I got home. They look great!

ACR_Matt
01-22-2018, 05:12 PM
Were in the box when I got home. They look great!
Very glad to hear that! Pm me if you have any problems or suggestions to make them better.

ACR_Matt
01-22-2018, 05:14 PM
Here's an update on the polished sets. These are all done by hand by one of the best craftsmen I know. That's why they're taking longer to ship than the brushed satin sets which were done by yours truly.

LifeIsGood
01-22-2018, 06:12 PM
Those look SWEET! Nice job.

ACR_Matt
01-22-2018, 07:04 PM
Those look SWEET! Nice job.
Thank you! I'm hoping the quality will make it worth the extra wait. The next batch will be much more organized. Had to get some kinks worked out, so I'm extremely thankful for everyone being as patient as they have been. 30714

ACR_Matt
01-24-2018, 07:46 PM
I have one brushed set available. I've tried Pm'ing in the order that people contacted me but have yet to get a response. So it's up for grabs to whoever contacts me first. It could be polished or powder coated for an additional cost and slight delay in shipping. I'll open up orders for the next batch soon. Just want to make sure everyone is happy with their kits first. Thanks everyone.

-Matt

LifeIsGood
01-24-2018, 08:27 PM
Me me me.

ACR_Matt
01-24-2018, 08:50 PM
Me me me.

All yours! Post some pics when you get them installed.

DublinOH
02-01-2018, 03:53 PM
Polished sets shipping soon or?

Viper98
02-01-2018, 05:56 PM
Hey Matt, how ya doin? Those look great.
I did not receive any PM. Am I on the list?

Thank you

Jer’

ACR_Matt
02-03-2018, 05:24 PM
Hey Matt, how ya doin? Those look great.
I did not receive any PM. Am I on the list?

Thank you

Jer’

Yes you are definitely on the list my friend. I just don't want to start another group buy until everyone from the first batch has theirs. The second wave of kits will be made and shipped in a much more timely and organized fashion. I've definitely learned a lot from this first run and truly appreciate everyone's patience.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Polished sets shipping soon or?

Yes! I expected them to ship before the first of this month, but the guy polishing them is being OCD and taking longer than expected to finish them. Last update I had from him yesterday was that he had one set left to polish and they *should* be shipping first of the coming week. Again, I'm sorry it's taking longer than anticipated but I assure you they will be shipping soon.

Troublemaker
02-03-2018, 05:51 PM
Add me to the list. I don’t mind waiting for the next run, the car barely ever comes out of the garage anymore.

ACR_Matt
02-27-2018, 11:02 PM
Hello everyone! I've been incredibly busy with work the last few weeks but everyone has received their gauge rings at this point and I will be opening up pre-orders again. There are already several commitments and I will be starting a new list for the next batch in the morning. Until then enjoy these pics of the the polished rings. 31248
31249 31250

I've also spent the last few weeks working out all the kinks to speed up the process of getting them delivered to everyone. The lessons learned with the first batch has proved invaluable and I truly appreciate everyone that helped.

-Matt

JimJoeBob
02-28-2018, 04:09 AM
Pretty pretty, shiny shiny...