PDA

View Full Version : Wave track LSD or OS Giken SuperLock

TheMadMachinist
11-18-2017, 12:24 PM
Thinking I want to improve the rear diff on my 2010.

Steve M
11-18-2017, 12:31 PM
What tires are you running (brand and age)?

Steve M
11-18-2017, 05:01 PM
I researched this a couple years ago, and didn't really come to a good conclusion as to which one would be better.

For the OS Giken, it looks like some have reported popping, including Mark Jorgensen. See this thread for more info:

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/625381-OS-Giken-Differential-in-Viper?p=2897445&viewfull=1#post2897445

I've also seen a lot of positive reviews of the Wavetrac, but there was this thread that caught my eye:

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/668211-Wavetracs-Differential-maybe-not-different-from-others-at-all.

Video from that thread:

https://youtu.be/jyjjJSIjKqg

I've read the Quaife does something similar when unloaded, which is why some prefer the OS Giken.

And that's about as far as I got...I run the stock GKN Visco Lok, and it does like to step out on the street with street tires. I've not had an issue on drag radials, but I don't run drag radials on the street. The R888s should have decent traction, but if you are still having an issue with the rear end stepping out, it looks like the differential might be the next place to look. I'd personally want to find someone with the differential I was looking to buy and see if I could arrange a test drive/ride before dropping the coin required to swap it out, but good luck with that in the Viper world. You might have more luck since you live in California.

Either way, if you do end up swapping it out, I'd be curious to see what you end up with and whether or not it fixes your problem. I just swapped to 3.55s, so the stepping out bit is going to be far worse from now on for me.

quickster2
11-19-2017, 07:25 AM
I would also try going to the GEN V fluid for your car. I switched mine over last winter and noticed an improvement in traction and much less whine in the rear diff. The traction improvement I'll admit is subjective on my part but the whine was noticed by the spouse as well. The NVH improvement agrees with what the SRT Engineers told me in advance. I have newer P-Zeros but the tires were the same before and after.

Rmj
11-19-2017, 01:43 PM
For me, wavetrac and 3:55’s meant no more tailhappy...even on michelins. It spun easier, but no more of the twitchiness...very predictable and solid. Now on r888r’s...it hooks very well. That being said, Unitrax broke my diff getting it apart, then it took twice to get it right. First diff they sent me howled and sounded horrible from first drive. They made it right, and have nothing but good to say about them. A thought about the above video...the wavetrac uses no friction modifier...if any is added to the diff, it would only slip on the “wave”. They are very clear and explicit not to use any additive. Not saying that’s the problem, but it could be. Anyway, best mod done to my car so far. Usable, predictable power.

TrackAire
11-19-2017, 05:10 PM
I've got 3.55's and the OS Giken.

I went with what is used by more pro teams in motorsports. Giken is very we'll respected in the pro motorsports ranks. After about 500 miles I don't notice anything weird when it comes to noises or popping. I can sometimes think I hear something in very slow tight turns, but nothing like my Detroit Locker in my truck.

I've been told by people in the business that the Wavetrac is getting recommended because there is more profit margin to be made when you sell one over the Giken.....something to think about.

v10viperbox
11-20-2017, 10:08 AM
3.55's and the OS Giken really is the ticket. The cost is more in the install then th parts though as a Viper with a Giken will always bring more money down the line. You could also look into getting a used ACR LSD out of a Gen Iv.

Stealth78
11-20-2017, 07:09 PM
3.55's and the OS Giken really is the ticket. The cost is more in the install then th parts though as a Viper with a Giken will always bring more money down the line. You could also look into getting a used ACR LSD out of a Gen Iv.

What is the difference between the ACR differential and the regular coupe? It's funny, I thought the diff in my GenIII sucked and couldn't believe how much better the GenIV diff was. I thought this diff was quite predictable... Now you guys have me wondering. My GenIII loved to wag it's tail, drove me crazy. Haven't noticed that on my GenIV yet.

TwinVipers
11-20-2017, 07:53 PM
I had both and liked the wavetrac slightly more! It’s also slightly less money if I can recall lol..

Steve M
11-20-2017, 08:25 PM
What is the difference between the ACR differential and the regular coupe?

No difference.

viperBase1
11-21-2017, 07:51 AM
Hey with either the WaveTrac or the OS Giken, does the proverbial 'clunk' sound go away?

v10viperbox
11-21-2017, 10:32 AM
No difference.

He is correct had a brain fart was working in the garage when I typed that. What I meant was a lot of ACR gen IV owner upgrade and the old units are out there cheap. I still say the OS Giken is the best unit and they are only like 2400$-2600$ online for the Viper.

TwinVipers
11-21-2017, 10:51 AM
Hey with either the WaveTrac or the OS Giken, does the proverbial 'clunk' sound go away?

never had a clunk with either unit!

Stealth78
11-21-2017, 01:22 PM

What clunk?

JonB ~ PartsRack
11-21-2017, 02:37 PM
WaveTrac is the one unless a dedicated track car.

speedtactics
11-21-2017, 07:12 PM
Wavetrac, I was the first Viper they put a diff in. I out 25k on the diff, hard driving track and autocross events. Never had a single issue or problem. Just flush the fluid once a year.

viperBase1
11-22-2017, 08:48 AM
What clunk?

Lucky you, you haven't heard the clunk sound.

I only hear it once in a while when pushing off from the line (stopped). It can come from either side. Once I think I heard it in stereo.
Geez, I think every 3rd new owner posts about the clunk sound. I've heard it in MANY other Vipers.. Gen-V's too.

Search on "clunk". Hours of fun reading. :fpopcorn:

Cool thread. :cool:
If/when the time comes, I think the WaveTrac w/3.55's is the one for me.

TwinVipers
11-22-2017, 11:53 AM
If anyone is looking for a wavetrac , pm me I have one with less than 200 miles on it ready to ship or be installed.

chicagopd50
11-22-2017, 05:30 PM
Wave trac is what I put in last year, and I usually just go to drag strip but no issues what so ever.. the original diff broke after 15k miles.. junk engineering.. wave trac the way to go if your a street guy or occasional drag strip

J TNT
11-22-2017, 05:56 PM
I went with Wave Track for street / track use , less wheel spin coming out of corners and able to get on the gas sooner at the apex .

Mamba003
11-22-2017, 09:05 PM
Had the giken for four years now and can say 1000% improvement over stop, especially with over 600 to the wheels. Even with wheel spin stays dead straight and no viper wiggle.

Lawrenzo
11-22-2017, 10:17 PM
I have the Wavetrac rear along with 3:55's and have found that it hooks very very well. Dan Cragin installed the upgrade when he did the heads/cam package, and I trust his judgement 100%. I'm pushing 600 rwhp and 590 lbft:drive: