PDA

View Full Version : Air filter and filters in general

serpent
11-15-2017, 04:53 PM
I'm currently at 11.7k miles and thought it was time to change the Air Filter, does anyone have any recommendations or just get this:
https://theviperstore.com/Viper5_Products_Performance_Air_Intake.htm (basically a K&N filter)

Also, I found no information about the cabin filter, does anyone know if this is easy to do and what part number the cabin filter is?

Thanks!

IHOP
11-15-2017, 07:04 PM
I'm currently at 11.7k miles and thought it was time to change the Air Filter, does anyone have any recommendations or just get this:
https://theviperstore.com/Viper5_Products_Performance_Air_Intake.htm (basically a K&N filter)

Also, I found no information about the cabin filter, does anyone know if this is easy to do and what part number the cabin filter is?

Thanks!

I've seen a lot of people recommend staying with the OEM filter from Dodge but I did change mine to K&N when I first got the car. I clean it about every 5,000 miles just to keep it as clean as possible.

Elganja
11-16-2017, 08:46 AM
we have about 12k on ours, and drive in many conditions (caught in rain, fall leavy roads, etc...)... I don't quite understand how the air filter is still so clean (in fact that whole compartment is very clean, no debris at all).

are you sure you need to replace yours?

Bill Pemberton
11-16-2017, 08:53 AM
Cleaning is the possible issue, as oil could get into the mass airflow sensor. Part of the reason so many folks say stay with the OEM ( SRT engineers worked diligently to maximize airflow and not cause any concerns). There are other manufacturers questioning using oil based filters depending a lot on how easy it could be to foul downstream as noted above. I would , personally, just stay with OEM , and for the guy cleaning it every 5K keep in mind , if you keep it make sure you lightly oil it --- key word lightly.

cplabaunza
11-16-2017, 02:25 PM
I've been using this one for 20k miles on my Viper, no issues = http://www.greenfilterusa.com/store/7149

IHOP
11-16-2017, 03:56 PM
Cleaning is the possible issue, as oil could get into the mass airflow sensor. Part of the reason so many folks say stay with the OEM ( SRT engineers worked diligently to maximize airflow and not cause any concerns). There are other manufacturers questioning using oil based filters depending a lot on how easy it could be to foul downstream as noted above. I would , personally, just stay with OEM , and for the guy cleaning it every 5K keep in mind , if you keep it make sure you lightly oil it --- key word lightly.

I have heard this concern before on other vehicles so I have two I clean the other one in advance lightly oil it and let it set out to allow any excess to either drip onto paper towels. I guess its every other oil change or so. But thanks for the reminder Bill!

Bill Pemberton
11-16-2017, 03:57 PM
No problem .... just rehashing what some of our favorite Engineers have passed forward.

mjorgensen
11-16-2017, 04:13 PM
The stock air filter is braced because the ram air intake can put stress on the filter itself, if you use an aftermarket filter element not designed for this unusual situation it can deform and possible unseal around the edges this is a big part of why SRT has always encouraged using the factory designed filter.

Voice of Reason
11-16-2017, 08:01 PM
I’ve had a K&N panel filter in for about 10k miles, I should probably clean it at the start of next season. A few thoughts on it:

- it’s like half the thickness of the OEM filter so it hangs down into the opening by about an inch less. If you’re stock look into the opening with the hood closed and you can clearly see the filter hanging down. By contrast the K&N filter tucks up perfectly out of the way of the air being rammed in there. IMO it has to had a better ram air effect because it blocks less airflow.
- because it’s half as thick that’s less material to heat soak and drive up IATs.
- even though it’s half the thickness it’s seriously sturdy. I think I could almost stand in the middle of it and it would deform. I don’t see any way it could deform at speeds.
- the way my stock filter was collecting oil before the R29 recall if I had a K&N back then all I would have had to do is wash it off and the car would have naturally re-oiled it. (This point is not to be taken seriously, though my OEM did collect oil on it).

IMO if you have the Arrow controller get the drop in K&N panel filter. I cannot see a single downside to it so long as you perform proper maintenance on it. And you may get a few Hp out of it, by either better air flow or less heat soak.

No hemi
05-20-2018, 10:48 AM
Any check engine lights coming on due to using K&N drop in filter?

SilveRT8
05-20-2018, 11:27 AM
No codes on mine, but I do have the Arrow PCM. Anyone with Stock PCM could chime in ?

1of1TA1.0
05-20-2018, 02:07 PM
I find the information from the Engineers interesting since they released the Demon with a K&N filter from the factory. I think the K&N gets the bad wrap when it's cleaned and over oiled.

SRT_BluByU
05-20-2018, 04:33 PM
i dont believe its that they dont like it.. i think its because of the configuration of the intake tract with its direct air stream exposure creates the nessesaity that any air filter needs additional reinforcment to maintain its rigidity.. the k&n for our application does not have this. which is why i choose to keep the stock filter.

Voice of Reason
05-20-2018, 08:03 PM
i dont believe its that they dont like it.. i think its because of the configuration of the intake tract with its direct air stream exposure creates the nessesaity that any air filter needs additional reinforcment to maintain its rigidity.. the k&n for our application does not have this. which is why i choose to keep the stock filter.

By your post I don’t think you’ve ever held our K&N replacement in your hands. I think my 11 year old could stand on it and it wouldn’t crush, there’s absolutely no way that thing could deform.

cubeman
05-20-2018, 11:00 PM
Driven 8k miles with K&N Filter and Arrow controller. No problems.

SRT_BluByU
05-21-2018, 03:41 PM
ive held plenty of k&n filters.. this was just the engineering recommendation. ymmv

TRH62
05-21-2018, 06:13 PM
Driven 9400 miles on my K&N Filter with Arrow controller. No issues!

Dan Cragin
05-21-2018, 06:29 PM
We tried to improve the production airbox by making it bigger, adding smooth tubes and routing more cold air into it. Nothing seems to make a significant change in power. The design is good and the filter has deep pleats with lots of surface area. Oiled filters have been known to contaminate airflow sensors. Our only upgrade to the airbox on 2008-2017 cars currently is to add smooth inlet tubes, a heat shield and verify the seal on the front of the box.

cashcorn
05-21-2018, 06:59 PM
It's all ready been proven that the K&N air filter produces 10rwhp+. Do a search in the Gen V forum & check it out.. (KnN drop in filter dyno results). good luck!

No hemi
05-22-2018, 08:29 AM
thanks to all!, smooth tubes ordered.

Dan Cragin
05-22-2018, 10:47 AM
We never saw a gain with the drop in K&N. Of course that was just my experience and testing was done on the Gen 4 cars, which
have the same air box as the Gen 5.

cashcorn
05-22-2018, 06:46 PM
There have been way too many posts about a plus ten rwhp gain with a Gen V. Everyone of those posts cannot be wrong. cheers!

Jack B
05-22-2018, 07:23 PM
We never saw a gain with the drop in K&N. Of course that was just my experience and testing was done on the Gen 4 cars, which
have the same air box as the Gen 5.

Dan:
Is the G4 sealed to the hood like the G5

Steve M
05-22-2018, 07:54 PM
Dan:
Is the G4 sealed to the hood like the G5

Yes.

Jack B
05-22-2018, 08:47 PM
Yes.

Steve:

One thing that has always bothered me is that we were told the hood inlet on the G2 went negative at about 90 mph, what makes the G4/G5 create this positive pressure through out the speed range?

SSGNRDZ_28
05-22-2018, 09:03 PM
Steve:

One thing that has always bothered me is that we were told the hood inlet on the G2 went negative at about 90 mph, what makes the G4/G5 create this positive pressure through out the speed range?

Gen 4 (and 3) have additional ducts from the area before the radiator on either side promoting positive airflow to the airbox at speed. From what I can tell the Gen 5 doesn't have anything like this, not sure about previous gens.

Jack B
05-23-2018, 12:19 AM
Gen 4 (and 3) have additional ducts from the area before the radiator on either side promoting positive airflow to the airbox at speed. From what I can tell the Gen 5 doesn't have anything like this, not sure about previous gens.

Doug
my point is, the G2 and G5 hood air inlets are similar, however, the G2 would show negative pressure somewhere above 90 mph, what make the G5 so different?.